• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Caldo Gallego and Tortilla

lynnejohn

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances(2005), VDLP(2007), Madrid(2009), Ingles(2009), Sur (2011), VDLP(2011)-partial, VDLP(2014)
Slightly off hardcore pilgrim information topics, so I apologize in advance...

Does anyone have authentic recipes for Caldo and Tortilla de Patatas? I know we've all enjoyed them many times, but now I have a longing for them, so must make them myself!

Please pm me if you have them.

Many thanks!

lynne

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I tried and tried to PM you but for some reason couldn't get it to go, so here is my message:

Lynne, this soup is exactly the same as the soup we Portuguese call Caldo Verde or Querves (sounds like Quevish). It is simple to make.

You will need:

1 bunch of Kale - the non-curly kind is easiest but any will do
3 large potatoes - cubed
1 large onion- chopped
2 cloves garlic - minced
Some stew beef - I use about a pound (It is originally made with short ribs and shank meat, which used to be cheap cuts, but that's become very expensive.)

So brown the meat in a little olive oil, then put in the onion and cook until the onion is transparent. Add the garlic and cover the meat with water. Cover and cook until the meat is very tender.

Add the cubed potato. If you need to add water to cover it all, go ahead. Cover and cook until potato is tender.

Now here is how you do the Kale. Wash the leaves, then stack 3 or 4 leaves on top of each other. Roll them up tightly FROM THE SIDE into a tight roll, then shave off very paperthin slices with a very sharp knife. I think chefs call this chiffonade or something, but my grandma just called it cutting the kale up :p

Now add the kale and cover until the kale changes color and is tender.

Salt and pepper to taste.

Eat with chunky french bread.

YUM!!!

The tortilla is also simple to make and there are variations Here is how I make mine.

You will need

4 large potatoes
1 large onion
1 nice red bell pepper
Olive Oil
6 eggs
Cheese - I use fresh parmesan, but you can use any sharp cheese
A cast iron skillet

Heat the skillet and pour in the olive oil.
When the olive oil begins to smoke, add your potatoes and cook until they are tender, but not yet brown.

Now add the onions and bell pepper and cook until the onions are clear.
Salt and pepper this mixture to taste.

Now beat up the 6 eggs with a little water, like you were going to make thick scrambled eggs, then pour that over the potato mixture.

DO NOT STIR IT.

(I sprinkle cheese on top. This is not traditional.)

Put the cast iron skillet in a 350 degree oven until the eggs are set.

Traditionally you would carefully turn this out onto a plate, but unless you practice that is tricky. What I do instead is once the eggs are set, I turn the stove on broil and brown the cheese. When it's brown and bubbly, I take it out and let it cool a bit.

Slice and serve with a salad or eat it cold for breakfast.

Hola
The CSJ in London has a nice little book on their Bookshop website called Que Aproveche with receipes for Caldo and Tortilla and other receipes from Spain.
Liz

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Thanks to everyone for your recipes- they all look verrrry tasty!!

I appreciate your advice, links and responses.

Muchas gracias -

lynne

Re: Tortilla

When I was a boy growing up in Spain, I loved eating tortilla. Given the fact that I was a bit of a picky eater, my mother did her best to bring home recipes of food that I liked. Here is the recipe for tortilla that she used and I now use.

4 eggs, beaten
4 large potatoes, peeled and chopped fine
1 medium onion, peeled and minced
1 1/2 cups of olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste

Use an 8 inch skillet. Warm the oil and add the potatoes and onion, cook over low heat very slowly. Sort of boiling the potatoes and onion in the oil until it becomes very soft. Do no let it get brown. Press with a fork as they cook so they puree just a bit.

Sprinkle with salt & pepper. Drain excess oil

Beat eggs until they are very foamy. Add eggs to the mixture one third at a time, lifting up as the egg firms to allow uncooked egg to run under. Repeat until all the egg has been added.

NOTE - Some time ago, I changed this process to draining the oil from the potato/onion mixture and adding that to the foamy eggs and then adding all back to the pan. I find I get a better mix of potato/onion and egg this way.

Cook until lightly brown on the bottom, lifting it up with a spatula to prevent sticking (with all the non stick pans today, this is only necessary if using a pan that is prone to have some sticking). Invert a plate over the pan, and turn over so the browned part of the omelet is on top. Scrape out any bits sticking to the pan, If necessary add a little more oil. It is important that the pan is coated with oil. Slide omelet back into the pan and with brown side up cook until the underside is golden. Makes 4 servings

Enjoy - ¡Buen provecho! :p

These tortilla recipes are nearly identical to the one from Penelope Casas' book that I use. Her recipe has an additional step, and that is to press the potato/onion mixture down into the eggs and let the whole thing "rest" for 15-20 minutes before cooking.

One other tip -- the olive oil that you use to cook the potatoes and onions is absolutely DELICIOUS, so make sure to save it for future use when you're done.

I also think there's something of a debate about whether a "real" tortilla espanola has onions in it. I like them, and I see that all these recipes include them, but I have some Asturian friends who shake their heads whenever I say it. Maybe it's a regional thing?

Laurie

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
peregrina2000 said:
I also think there's something of a debate about whether a "real" tortilla espanola has onions in it. I like them, and I see that all these recipes include them, but I have some Asturian friends who shake their heads whenever I say it. Maybe it's a regional thing?

Laurie

I think it must be a regional thing. I lived in Spain a long time ago (1956 to 1963) and the recipe my mother used and I use now was from a Spanish cook from that period. But to be honest, I have seen (and have made) many tortilla recipes that do not use onion. I myself like it with onion.

Cullen

I love onions in most things, so will likely go that way. My mouth is already watering!

Thanks again, friends.

lynne

Speaking of longing for food....chorizo and fried eggs...yum..hold the fries please.

Palma

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Asking for "the" tortilla recipe in Spain is like asking a group of English people what´s the "proper" way to brew a cup of tea. You´ll get 100 different answers, each one The Best!

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
I'm looking for the best app to use whilst walking on the Camino. Usually I just rely on my Apple watch but I'm leaving that at home, so need an app use that I can pause at rest stops etc...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
The logical thing for me to do is bring a Kindle, but TBH I like books, and for me leaving electronic gubbins behind while I do the Camino, appeals. I am thinking of taking one book on The...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back