• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Calixtinus Codex stolen from cathedral

anthonyjf

Time of past OR future Camino
My first Camino was in September/October of 2009.
Just read that the Codex Calixtinus was stolen from the Cathedral of Santiago on July 5th. There was no sign of forced entry and according to officials at the cathedral "security measures were working normally" Security videos are now being reviewed.

Sil have you or anyone else any further info on this?

Tony

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
LOL - I love your humor Br. David, not once did it pass my mind that Sil might have something to do with this.

Tony

Tony, this story is to be found elsewhere as it was first reported last week. Ivar has pasted the link above.

There has already been another Forum member named as a possible suspect! Since I live in England where the libel laws are very, very strict I can't even mention who it was, though we did all wonder where ******** was on the day in question. :D

I'm glad i have a rock solid alibi.

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh........................ I'll take it back when I get to Santiago at the end of September.

Sil... posting from a secret hideout on the African continent.

PS: Post on the Codex at amawalker.blogspot.com

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
hhmmm, sil can I borrow it after you've finished with it, please? :roll:

Hola

There is major angst and national interest in Spain on this. The Spanish are a suspicious and cynical lot - I even heard one theory that it had been sold and the proceeds were being used to set up an albergue where priests serve the pilgrims. That is so far fetched it can't be true.

Cathedral staff are still being interviewed by the police - for up to two hours in some cases.

Watch this space ;)

John

Perhaps we should read the 'Commination' over the thief (thieves) - proclaiming of 'God's anger and judgements against sinners', and pray for the safe return of the Codex.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Today Mundicamino http://www.mundicamino.com/noticias.cfm reports the following update regarding the theft of the Codex Calixtinus from the Santiago de Compostela cathedral archive last July.

"Jueves - 31 mayo de 2012 / abc.es
Temen que el ladron del codice pueda quemarlo al verse acosado..."

Here is the Google translation into English of the report.
"Thursday - May 31, 2012 / abc.es
They fear the thief codice can burn to be harassed

The Dean of the Cathedral confirms that the text has not left Spain and is in the hands of any collector.

A point of first anniversary of his disappearance or the whereabouts of the Codex Calixtino remains an enigma to the agents in charge of the case, but a statement made yesterday by the Dean of the Cathedral of Santiago pave the way towards an early resolution of the investigation. And, as stated by the religious José María Díaz, "there are positive prospects, and very positive, in search of Liber Sancti." "That's all I can say" merely Diaz himself forward but not before that "the problem in a case like this is not to find the thief, but to find the object '.
For this, the police officers involved in the investigation take months to deploy all available scientific techniques and working your network of contacts they have in the Community. In his search for the moment, that valuable extract text has not crossed into abroad and not in the hands of any collector, one of the hypotheses that were considered in the days after the robbery.
With all the effort put into finding the Codex, Dean also said that a major concern of researchers is that the thief destroyed the copy to be cornered. "Police have experienced a thief runs located and harassed and there is a danger that can burn or no attention to the object," said Diaz, who once was asked to report the disappearance of the document in a police station in the Galician capital .
Looking back on that time, Diaz explained that at this moment to feel hopeful developments in the case. A state which he said "improved from the first night, when I had to go to the emergency room with 26 or 25 of tension, thinking die."
More of few words was the mayor of Santiago, Angel Currás, which avoided referring to the state it is research, arguing that "the experience of the police is that these things usually occur when it takes some time without speaking to them" . "In research of this type is important is not how but how to advance research concluded," resolved."

One might facetiously summarize all this as "hope springs eternal" !

Margaret

From farodevigo.es:
U. Gorges - VIGO Not a custom theft, or with a view to profit. The disappearance of the Codex Calixtino of the cathedral of Santiago last July seems to be a personal issue against his own cathedral dean, Jose Maria Diz. The valuable book of the twelfth century, the first guide to pilgrims, could have been just changed places and remain hidden in the cathedral, which would never have come. Not be ruled out, however, the hypothesis that the piece has come from the church. In any case this is not a robbery but a theft, because they used violence or forced the chamber of the file, I had the keys.

The main objective of the squad investigating the disappearance heritage focuses on getting Codex Calixtinus return without suffering harm, rather than to stop the thief. It is suspected that someone is linked to the cathedral but that does not belong to the clergy, with which they try to agree on the delivery of the Codex.

Jose Maria Diz himself after reporting the theft last year, said that whoever stole it " knew how to get there. " It is suspected that someone was inside the cathedral, who took him, possibly because of differences with the management of the dean.

Jose Maria Diz ahead last Wednesday in a press conference in Santiago de Compostela that "there are very positive outlook" in the investigation police to recover the Codex Calixtino. In this regard he added that the problem is not "find the thief, but the object" as "forensic science has experienced a thief runs located and harassed and there is a danger that can burn or no attention to the Codex." A statement that surprised and caused some discomfort among those who manage the delivery of the book. "The less said the issue better," defend the charge of the investigation, they believe that is at a delicate time.

It is agreed that delivery would allow covered in anonymity recover the valuable Codex, without consequences for those who wiped out. A possibility that is deposited somewhere in the cathedral to facilitate the discovery well is added to the proposal of the Bar of Compostela, which once guaranteed confidentiality if a "sorry" returned the book.

Everything indicates that he known piece has great value and appreciate the Codex, hence the search for formulas that can deliver without being stopped. The chief prosecutor of Galicia, Carlos Varela, announced last week at Vigo is "waiting for news" about the Codex. "Let the police work, at any moment something can emerge," he said after a visit to the headquarters of the Attorney Vigo.

Please Mister..can we have our Codex back?

Has anyone questioned Madonna? I followed the newspaper link and it went to today's current page...It seems Madonna is reconnecting with her Catholic past once again and is attempting to steal some of St. James' thunder...

Coinkydink? On the anniversary of the theft?

I think not. Someone call Scottland yard!

Most read last week in this forum

I requested a Mass to be offered with the botafumerio from the Cathederal for May 27th. Here is the update from the Cathederal: “We are contacting you to inform you that unfortunately the...
Does Ivan's place close for siesta or dinner? Trying to sort how to get my stored luggage and I know places close in Spain even when their doors say the hours they are open. Are we supposed to...
Hey I’m looking at starting my Camino from Burgos in about 2-3 days. I’m wanting to use casa ivar storage. Has anyone used this service before? It sounds very good the webpage is just a little...
Anyone from the forum working in the Pilgrim’s Office May 1-14? We’ll be walking two Caminos and will say hi if you are!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.