Where past pilgrims share, and future pilgrims learn

A Donation to the forum removes advertising.
  1. New here?
    We have accumulated over 10 years of Camino Questions and Answers.
    Please Sign Up and plan your camino with us. Buen Camino! Ivar
  2. Are you a lurker?
    Interested in getting a daily email with the latest forum post? Get it here.

Camiño Sur or Invierno

Discussion in 'Camino de Invierno' started by Ribeirasacra, Apr 8, 2009.

1. Ribeirasacra

Ribeirasacra Member

Living in Galicia and near the Camino Invierno I ma taking some interest it is development as an alternative route to the main Camino Frances.
    I hope that some of you will find this “new” will appeal to you.
    I have to say the one item lacking along this route are the albergues.
    However from time to time I see article about the proposed publicity in one of our local newspapers.
    Here is the latest link.
    http://www.lavozdegalicia.es/lemos/2009/04/08/0003_7641346.htm
    Although normally the newspaper is written in Castelaño some times it is written in Gallego. This article is one of them. However you can see a rough translation form Galician via Google these days. It is not perfect I have to admit.
    http://www.google.es/language_tools?hl=en&lr=&output=search
    Basically the article is stating that they are intending to do some more publicity on the route plus publish guides in several languages. Now all they need to do is build some accommodation!

Ian

PS I hope this is in the correct area of the Forum.

A Donation to the forum removes advertising.
  2. falcon269

falcon269 No commercial interests Donating Member

There are great hikes throughout Europe and the rest of the world, but it is the albergues that make a pilgrimage even as much as it is a destination like the bones of St. James. Alternative routing appears in Raju, Jacobsweg, and Brierley almost exclusively because of an albergue. Justifications on "authenticity" are rarely persuasive because most of the authentic route is now paved in macadam.

If local government wants to tap the tourist trade using the concept of a pilgrimage, it is going to have to step forward with infrastructure, including albergues, that will attract 20-km-per-day walkers.

That said, I hope politely, good luck in offering new vistas to pilgrims. They will welcome them if there is a place to stay!