• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino De norde social ?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I did the second half in August last year. Yes, lots of people around without being mad-busy, until you hit the Frances. Different crowd to what I was used to when doing caminos out of the peak season. More teenagers and students walking on the cheap and lots of people from Italy and Spain in particular whose employers close for three weeks in August for the annual holiday. That was very interesting.

According to the official statistics there is something like a ratio of 7 pilgrims on the Frances to every 1 pilgrim on the Norte. I wondered about the social aspect before I walked, but read on this forum that though there are less pilgrims, the bond between them seems stronger. This certainly seemed to be the case, and the camaraderie between myself and my fellow walkers became one of the most enjoyable aspects of the camino. I had a great time socially while walking the Norte, but also the opportunity to walk alone when I wanted time to myself or to be reflective. There will be an eclectic mix of nationalities and ages. I made some great friends on this route, and you will too.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
HI All,
I did the Camino Frances last easter and loved it. I'm thinking about doing the camino de norde in July / August. Is the Norde still a good way to meet people. Will there be lots doing it ?

I walked this Spring and there were always other Pilgrims but never crowded. There was a mixture of first timers and those who have walked other Camino's. One interesting aspect of the Norte is that a number of Pilgrims switch to the Primitivo right after Villaviciosa.

Ultreya,
Joe

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
My husband and I are starting around 28 Sept and are having trouble deciding between Frances and Norte. Can anyone point out some things that might help us decide? We like the social aspects but not huge crowds which I presume will not be present this late in the year.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Zialucia:

The major differences, imo, are the Norte is hilly coastal walking versus mountain, vineyard and farmland on the Frances. There is also more road walking on the Norte than Frances. The Norte is a little tougher day in and day out than the Frances. There are no thousand meter climbs on the Norte, such as the Napoleon route out of SJPdP. That said, there are many 500 meters steep up and downs. The Norte gets a bit easier the longer you walk with the last third being the easiest, imo.

There is plenty of accommodation on each route. That said, you will probably be staying in a hotel or private Albergue more often on the Norte.

Both these routes are well way-marked. The Norte does offer a lot of alternate routes almost daily. The Norte, if you find hard pan walking not to your liking, offers an option to switch to the Primitivo after Villviciosa.

The Norte is less crowded than the Frances but still well populated.

Hope this helps. My experiences have all been in the Spring (March/April) not the Fall.

Ultreya,
Joe

Most read last week in this forum

Hi pilgrims , last year i had some spare days and i walked from Irun to Santander , so my plan for this year was to start in Bilbao and walk to Santiago in 24 days . It turned out that i can...
Hi, ive been training for my CDN in two weeks time and thought i'd get some UK coastline under my belt (Scarborough to Robin hoods Bay). I have to say i was just not prepared for the amount for...
hello We plan to walk from Irún to San Sebastián first day in Mid May and looking for feedback on how long it takes. Think we are up to it but will be our first day. Thanks for your thoughts and...
Please, am I mad to contemplate the following combo: Norte: Biarritz-Bayonne-Irun-Santander (via Bayonne to get my legs going) Santander - train to Leon San Salvador - Leon to Oviedo Primitivo -...
I walked the Camino Francés in Octobee 2022, from Villafranca del Bierzo to Santiago de Compostela, and loved it. I would like to walk the Camino del Norte as I'm drawn to the coast, culture and...
What is the most beautiful seven day section on the Camino del Norte? I have a good friend who cannot come with me for the entire walk. She is only available for a week. I start from Irun. She...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back