• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Ingles in April

claireu

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances 2012
Camino Portuguese 2013
Camino Ingles 2014
Hello, I'm starting the Camino in April. Last year I did the Portuguese Camino (from Porto) at a similar time and felt I was the only walker out there! Whilst I enjoyed a very different experience to the hustle and bustle of the Camino Frances- I didn't enjoy being the only person in the hostel which happened on two occasions in Portugal. So my first question is to whether anyone has any experience of walking in April and how likely it is that I will see fellow pilgrims. My second question is about the stages. I am hoping to arrive in Ferrol mid-afternoon- is it possible to walk to Neda before the evening? I am also curious about how flexible the stages are. Is it possible to walk longer on the 'shorter' stages to avoid the Bruma-Siguerio 30k stage?
thank you,
Claire

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi Claire,
I can't comment to beginning the route in April, but, when I walked the route in early September I saw very few other Pilgrims. My guess is that may be similar in April... In fact, when I stayed at Pontedeume, I had the entire Albergue to myself!

I think it is possible to walk to Neda before the evening, depending on how much you need to do in Ferrol, and/or how much time you'd like to spend in the city before you leave. The route from the docks is 14km--and it's pretty flat, but it really just depends on your walking speed.

From Bruma to Siguero is actually only 17km, and then it's another 20.8km to Santiago.

From Neda, it is possible to stay in Pontedeume(13km), Mino(23km) or to continue to Betanzos (33km). From Betanzos to Bruma is 27.5km (and there are no other albergues between the two--it's a pretty sparse, but beautiful, section).

Keep in mind that you'll want to stop in Betanzos at least long enough to see some of the sites (it's a lovely town) and to buy provisions, since you'll only pass through a few villages on the way to Hospital de Bruma. Additionally, while the albergue at Bruma is really nice, there is little nearby so you'll need to plan to bring food with you. There is also a place listed on the board in the kitchen to order carry out, but I can't speak to the specifics.

Good luck!

Thank you for this. I do feel very safe on the Camino but didn't enjoy being the only one in the hostel! I will have a good look at the maps and guides and work out an enjoyable schedule. I know when I did the Camino Frances there were some very long stretches but I felt I had time to work up to them!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi Claire, I have walked the Ingles three times, twice from Coruna in April and October and once from Ferrol in May and it has always been extremely quiet at those times. Although I think more people are now walking the route from Ferrol I would still expect it to be quiet in April. I tend to stay in private accommodation so can't vouch for the occupancy of the Albergues I'm afraid.

Laurap, for some reason I have different distances than you for Bruma to Sigueiro (24km) and Sigueiro to Santiago (16km) obtained from tracking the route on Google Earth :confused:.

To avoid the long stretch to Bruma many people get Antonio from Pension O Meson Nova to collect them from Bar Julia, stay the night there, get taken back the next morning to carry on again from Bar Julia, staying the second night at O Meson Nova also. I have not stayed there myself but there are many positive posts about it and maybe it will provide you with some company. Obviously this second leg does not require you to carry everything as you could leave stuff in your room. I walked in September and saw very few pilgrims. When I arrived at Pontedueme the albergue was not open until late afternoon so I stayed elsewhere. Two Italian girls who stayed there said they were the only ones. Just in case you don't know - make sure you have plenty of water for the forest stretch into Seguiro as you will need plenty of water on this part if it is sunny as there is no shade.

If you download the donativo CSJ guide to the Inglés it gives advice to carry supplies between Betanzos and Bruma too. This is a good idea even if using Al's suggestion about Meson Novo, which we did. In the guide it talks about the bar at Calle de Poulo. From there a right turn goes to Ordes - approx 2kms - where there is accomodation. Then return to continue into Sigueiro, making 2 shorter days. We plan to do this later in the year. Last time we went back again to Meson Novo as we had booked an extra night there and left our stuff, then started from the cafe bar next day.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Thank you so much for all the good advice. I will go back to the guide and have a look through the forum. I don't mind staying in private accommodation if I have to!

I have walked the Ingles twice, once in April, and again in June.
Both times it was very quiet, in April the only other walkers were at Bruma (a Spanish couple) - in June there were a few more, at the albergue in Neda (4 Spanish and 1 German woman) and again at Bruma - 2 Spanish couples.
So, no worries about meeting lots of others.:)
Incidentally, at Bruma the hospitalero will order a meal for you from Meson de Vento - 10 euros, and nothing amazing, but a meal. And the albergue drinks machine does have cold beer.....
You will easily get to Neda albergugue in 3 or 4 hours, from Ferrol.

I have walked the Ingles twice, once in April, and again in June.
Both times it was very quiet, in April the only other walkers were at Bruma (a Spanish couple) - in June there were a few more, at the albergue in Neda (4 Spanish and 1 German woman) and again at Bruma - 2 Spanish couples.
So, no worries about meeting lots of others.:)
Incidentally, at Bruma the hospitalero will order a meal for you from Meson de Vento - 10 euros, and nothing amazing, but a meal. And the albergue drinks machine does have cold beer.....
You will easily get to Neda albergugue in 3 or 4 hours, from Ferrol.
Thanks for sharing. Any information helps
Best regards

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I'll be walking the Ingles in April too, starting from Ferrol on the 21st. I'm really looking forward to 6 days of quiet walking and it will be a great contrast to the Frances last July - August, particularly from Sarria. I've decided on hotels and booked up already as the price is often not much more than the cost of a night in an albergue (only hotel San Vicente is significantly higher ) and the flexibility of leaving late and arriving when I want will be a luxury, again compared to the Frances. 6 days of walking with a much lower threat of being mown down by hoards of cyclists will be great.

I'll be walking the Ingles in April too, starting from Ferrol on the 21st. I'm really looking forward to 6 days of quiet walking and it will be a great contrast to the Frances last July - August, particularly from Sarria. I've decided on hotels and booked up already as the price is often not much more than the cost of a night in an albergue (only hotel San Vicente is significantly higher ) and the flexibility of leaving late and arriving when I want will be a luxury, again compared to the Frances. 6 days of walking with a much lower threat of being mown down by hoards of cyclists will be great.
Hola !
I am curious about the places you will stay.
Are they different to what Tia Valeria published earlier last month on this Inglès forum ?
My wife and I will walk somewhere mid of May and will have a same kind of time schedule
Looking forward and buen camino

Hola !
I am curious about the places you will stay.
Are they different to what Tia Valeria published earlier last month on this Inglès forum ?
My wife and I will walk somewhere mid of May and will have a same kind of time schedule
Looking forward and buen camino

Sorry, I didn't read the places Tia Valeria posted, so they could be the same or a little different. As well as location, I chose the following for having early official check-in times, just in case I arrive before 3 pm

They are:
1. Hotel Silva (Ferrol) - 25 Euros
2. Hotel Kensington (Naron) - 20.90 Euros
3. Hotel Eumesa (Pontedueme) - 36 Euros
4. Hotel Palacete (Betanzos) - 35 Euros
5. PR O Meson Novo (O Meson Do Vento (near Bruma)) - 23.40 Euros
6. Hotel San Vicente (5 kms past Sigueiro) - 50 Euros

Some of the above also include breakfast in their rates. Very good prices I think (agoda and booking.com) and better flexibility than hanging around waiting for albergues to open. Also can cancel without penalty until a day in advance, should anything not go to plan.

Buen Camino

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
A big "Thank you!" to all who have contributed to this so far.
I'm walking both paths of the Camino Inges in May/June and looking forward to it very much.
Buen camino, Claire! I'm sure you will have a wonderful time - let us know how you get on!
Blessings from a dark, wet Suffolk, 100 kms north of London.

You may like to go to http://caminodavid.net/caminomap.html and you will see a list of accommodation on the Camino Inglés from Ferrol (under the Camino Inglés map) that I have been preparing for my next camino in August. I would welcome and corrections, additions or comments.

I have walked the Ingles in both June and August and saw no more than a couple of pilgrims either time. The solitude is one of the benefits of the Ingles IMO.

You may like to go to http://caminodavid.net/caminomap.html and you will see a list of accommodation on the Camino Inglés from Ferrol (under the Camino Inglés map) that I have been preparing for my next camino in August. I would welcome and corrections, additions or comments.

That's a superb resource, nice one!

Minor correction - Hotel Palacete is about 500m SSE of its current label. It's the H shaped building.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've started a series of blog posts telling the story of our recent walk from Coruna to Santiago here:

http://pilgrimpace.wordpress.com/

We stayed in Hostal Mara in Coruna
O Meson Novo
Hotel San Vicente

The latter two are extremely pilgrim friendly, and really helped in the appallingly bad weather, picking us up from the bar at the top of Bruma Hill and from Sigueiro respectively.
When we were first looking at accommodation, O Meson Novo thought they were going to be full of construction workers. Ignatio at Hotel San Vicente was ready to taxi us to and from Bruma.

Andy

That's a superb resource, nice one!

Minor correction - Hotel Palacete is about 500m SSE of its current label. It's the H shaped building.
Many thanks I have made that correction. I was using the Google map waypoint marker which as you point out is wildly inaccurate and has them located in Rúa Travesa. Unfortunately that's not unusual for Google Maps! Sometimes I have used street view to have a look on the ground (so to speak). Their website is unhelpful but the old Hotel Complejo San Roque marker is still in the correct position.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Many thanks I have made that correction. I was using the Google map waypoint marker which as you point out is wildly inaccurate and has them located in Rúa Travesa. Unfortunately that's not unusual for Google Maps! Sometimes I have used street view to have a look on the ground (so to speak). Their website is unhelpful but the old Hotel Complejo San Roque marker is still in the correct position.
I always treat Google maps markers with caution since it put a hotel right in the middle of Grand Harbour, Valetta, Malta. Brought up large it even showed a ship in harbour, the hotel was in the middle of Valetta itself some way from the harbour.
Now to have a look at your site........

I am so grateful for all the advice offered in this forum. In two weeks I shall be on my way! My main concern now is that there have been reports of bad weather that have affected the route. However I survived Portugal and the floods last Easter- I'll just have to remember my waterproofs!

At one time there was advice given to lone pilgrims that the albergue in Neda is across the river bridge and a bit isolated if you are on your own. Lone pilgrims might prefer to saty in Narón, 2kms before the albergue. We stayed at the Hotel Kensington, very friendly and just before the bridge to the albergue. We agreed that the albergue did seem a little lonely and the local gathering point for the lads. It might have changed, but you might want to consider the hotel option for that first night if there really are no other pilgrims around.
Some-one has posted elsewhere that the storm damage is not a problem.
Buen Camino

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I'm going to start walking on the Saturday as I'm hoping to get to Ferrol by mid-afternoon. My intention is to stay at Hotel Kensington. I'm probably be going to staying in hotels as I didn't enjoy the experience of staying on my own in the Portuguese albergues. However I'm hoping that I'll bump into other pilgrims along the way.

If starting from Narón on Sunday make sure to have some snacks and water with you as many places are closed early on Sunday. We did find a cafe-bar open, but many were closed until later in the morning. We were able to see into the church, but did not go in as it was a First Communion and the service had already started. Maybe next year..............

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I am so grateful for all the advice offered in this forum. In two weeks I shall be on my way! My main concern now is that there have been reports of bad weather that have affected the route. However I survived Portugal and the floods last Easter- I'll just have to remember my waterproofs!

Hola - recent reports from pilgrims say the route is fine.

Buen camino

John

We walked this route last week and arrived in Ferrol on the bus from Santiago about 12.20pm to start walking. We reached the Kensington about 5pm but we did stop for drinks a few times, we also got our sellos from the turismo on calle Magdalena then went to the start at the harbour. And the route was fine.

Thanks John and madrid12 for the confirmation of the route!
I arrive late on Monday evening in Ferrol, plan to take an easy start on Tuesday morning, walk to the harbour and start from there. Means an extra four k ( from hostal and back ) but really want to start at " the beginning ".

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Thanks John and madrid12 for the confirmation of the route!
I arrive late on Monday evening in Ferrol, plan to take an easy start on Tuesday morning, walk to the harbour and start from there. Means an extra four k ( from hostal and back ) but really want to start at " the beginning ".
Buen camino
We are curious about your experiences. Keep us informed. There will follow a lot of people behind you among others my wife and I

Post Camino I thought I should pop in and once again thank everyone for their tips and advice. I made it to Santiago and then finally onto Finisterre! As this was my third Camino it was lovely to get to the 'end'! I kept a blog for my students www.teacheronthecamino.wordpress.com
You might have to look back a bit as I'm currently taking part in a blog every day in May challenge!
It was an amazing walk and certainly a lot busier than I expected.

Hi Claire, I have walked the Ingles three times, twice from Coruna in April and October and once from Ferrol in May and it has always been extremely quiet at those times. Although I think more people are now walking the route from Ferrol I would still expect it to be quiet in April. I tend to stay in private accommodation so can't vouch for the occupancy of the Albergues I'm afraid.

Laurap, for some reason I have different distances than you for Bruma to Sigueiro (24km) and Sigueiro to Santiago (16km) obtained from tracking the route on Google Earth :confused:.
Hi Mig,
I'm curious about the private accommodations you mentioned. Can you help me to find a place in Siguiero? I would greatly appreciate the help. We plan to make the Camino at the end of June.
Thank you!

Hi, sorry for the delay in responding.

HOSTAL HERMANOS MIRÁS: Av. de Compostela, 14 Sigüeiro. Tlfs:981 691 637 or 981 694508
is in Sigueiro itself, right on the Camino route. It is basic and a bit tired decoration wise, but cheap and food is good (I'm sure I read in another couple of posts that it was the best meal they had eaten on the Ingles). I'm not sure of other private accommodations in Sigueiro itself but there are a couple of hotels further on, obviously increasing the distance for the day.

Hotel San Vicente is about 4.75kms further on and can also be reserved through booking.com at here

There is another hotel Hotel Castro which is situated 9km from Sigueiro. This would leave a very short stage the next day to walk into Santiago (approx 7km). However, the Camino Ingles has been re-routed in recent years and this hotel no longer stands on the new route. However, it is still possible to detour to get to it and rejoin the next day further on and I can supply a detailed map to show how this can be done should you need it. The hotel can also be booked through Booking.com here
I have not stayed at either of these two hotels so can't vouch for either but I'm sure there will be Trip Advisor reviews and/or comments in this forum which you can search.

Below is a map showing the locations of the hotels and the main route (blue) and detour (green) which follows the old route.

Hope that helps, reply or PM me if you need any further information.

Regards
Mig

Ingles_Last_Day.jpg

Last edited:
I stayed at HOSTAL HERMANOS MIRÁS last month. I would agree it is a bit dated, and you have to share a bathroom but I was so tired it didn't matter. The restaurant is lovely, they make a very good Galician vegetable stew! There is also a new private albergue open but I'm not sure of the name or exact location.

Most read last week in this forum

So, I managed to lose my lovely Tilley hat. Left behind I think, in a shop in Cambre. Going back for it not an option as the place is closed today, Sunday. Am I destined to arrive in Santiago...
Beautiful walking weather on the Camino Ingles today
On one of the FB forums, someone asked about detouring to Fragas do Eume, just outside of Pontedeume, and it looks amazing. Since I'm splitting up Ferrol - Pontedeume into two days (taking the...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back