• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Ingles in late December / early January

pgphoto

Hi everyone,

I'm planning on walking a number of the different caminos over the coming year as part of a photography project which I am just about to begin. I was hoping to start with the Camino Ingles and to walk this over the New Year period as this will be the first block of time that I will have free. I should have approx 8 days in total, starting on the 28th or 29th December, (I was planning on walking from Ferrol in 5 days and spending a couple of days in Santiago afterwards) so it would be nice to be able to complete one of the shorter routes in this time.

It would be great to hear if anyone out there has walked this camino at this time of the year and if there is anything in particular that I would need to consider while planning it. I realise that I'm unlikely to see many other pilgrims (if any!), but that shouldn't be too much of an issue for me.

My main concerns would be whether or not it would be possible to find accomodation around this time as I am guessing that many places would not have so many visitors and may just shut down for this season. Camping probably won't be an option, as I'll already be carrying a fair bit of equipment and taking a tent / stove etc would be pushing it a bit with regard to backpack weight. I have found some accomodation lists for the area, but I was wondering if anyone has had any experience before I start contacting each of them.

The other main worry is with regard to sellos. I've read that its not so easy to pick them up along this camino and if many places are shut am I likely to arrive to the Pilgrim Office without proof that I have made the journey on foot?

Overall I guess I'm just looking for a bit of feedback to see if the journey is logistially possible at this time, and if not, if anyone could perhaps recommend another route (I may be able to stretch the trip to 10 days)?

Many thanks,

Paul

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hola

Have a look at the guidebooks for both the Caminos Ingles and Portuguese - if you have up to 10 days you can decide between the two if you want to walk a complete route. Or you could walk 5 - 10 days of the Camino Frances. Accommodation will be available on the routes - on the Camino Ingles the albergues will be open and there is also very adequate hostal accommodation. Similarly on the Camino Portugese. Given the abundance of albergues on the Camino Frances it is likely that some will have closed for the season but you will certainly find a bed.

It is up to you - happy decision making. The guides are here: http://www.csj.org.uk/guides-online.htm

Hi Johnnie,

Thanks very much for the feedback! I've decided to go with the Camino Ingles after all. Flights are booked and I have just some accomodation / travel research left to do. I'm really starting to look forward to it!

All the best,

Paul

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
It sounds exciting, and I'd love to hear how you found the Ingles at that time of year.

Buen Camino!

lynne

hi Paul
I walked the English in Feb 2009,I wrote about it in my blog below and posted pictures also some pics of the acomodation on the english forum posts,the aubergues where closed but you just phone the number on the door and they are there in 10 mins-the first one at Neda 7km from Ferrol will also give you a credencial -plenty of options on where to stay along the route
have fun its a great walk
Ian

Thanks Ian, you have a very well written blog and some very nice photos on there! I definitely won't be forgetting the waterproofs and I'll have to think about where to spend New Year's Eve. From what you were saying Pontedueme sounds like a lot of fun but if I stopped there I wouldn't make it to Santiago in time, so I think it'll either be Betaznos or Bruma!

I'll let you know how it goes Lynne!

All the best,

Paul

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hola Paul
I have walked this route in January and never had any problems. The weather was actually worse last year when we were walking during Easter in late April. Walking in winter, daylight hours are very short and it does not get light until about 9.00am in the morning. Enjoy your camino, I really like this route.
Liz

Most read last week in this forum

Beautiful walking weather on the Camino Ingles today
On one of the FB forums, someone asked about detouring to Fragas do Eume, just outside of Pontedeume, and it looks amazing. Since I'm splitting up Ferrol - Pontedeume into two days (taking the...
We lost a set of black Leki trekking poles today between Ferrol and Neda just past the Monastario de San Martino. We sat down for a rest near the top of the hill amidst the houses. The poles were...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back