• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Norte near end of March

Selina

Hi there, my cousin and I have decided that we are going to do the Camino del Norte at the end of March. We have never done a Camino but are both very fit so are not too worried about the inclines and rougher walking distances. We do however have a few questions so bare with me and if you could answer the ones you know that would be so great.

1) She will be arriving in barcelona, what is the best way to get to Irun, perferably the cheapest. Would it be best to travel to Irun, find a place to stay for the night and travel in the morning or start right away?
2) The passports that we need to identify ourselves as pilgrims- do we need to pre order these online or can we get them in Irun? Is there a cost for them?
3) Will there be Auberges open at this time? Will we have trouble finding places to stay?
4) My packpack that I bought is a 32 Litre pack, is this big enough? I also have a silk sleeping bag? Will I be too cold? If we are talking about only essentials what do you suggest we pack? ( if you could be specific that would be great)
5) If we are able to walk at a good pace everyday how long should the entire Camino take?
6) Are there any places we should stop and take a day off in order to explore the town?

I’m sorry to have so many questions but it feels as though it is approaching soon and we need answers! I have read many threads as well but it would be nice to have answers for my specific questions,
thank you so much!!!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Selina:

Two years ago when I walked the Vasco, I entered Europe through Barcelona. I took a cab from the airport to the Barcelona Sant train station (10 minutes). There is a morning (7:30) and afternoon (15:30) train to Irun (6 hours).

Since you will be traveling all day, I would recommend you get a hotel room in Irun and start fresh in the morning.

I have always pre-ordered my passport. There is usually a small cost

The Albergue in Irun does not open until April 1st. I have yet to walk the Norte (planning on this April). Someone else can probably tell you about open Albergues in March.

There are several threads on packing lists. I suggest you peruse a few of these before deciding on your list. A 32l pack should be adequate.

A good pace, is a relative term. An average Pilgrim does 20-30km's per day, some do more. I am giving myself 30 days.

Several threads under this heading (Norte) discuss interesting places, that again is relative to your particular interests.

Ultreya,
Joe

Selina
Although the Irun albergue is said by some guidebooks to open on the 1st April, it may possibly open earlier as it did in 2013. The albergue has a facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/albergueirun . You can try sending them a message.
The Irun albergue will have pilgrims' passports, if it is open. If you want to receive a pilgrim's passport in advance, contact your country's pilgrim association and see if they can provide one for you. Normally you give a donation for the passport but arrangements vary with different pilgrim associations.
Your questions about accommodation, places to visit and how long it will take are very broad. I suggest you start looking at some sort of guide book or at websites that give recommendations for stages and accommodation and things to see, websites like eroski, mundicamino and gronze and of course other threads in this Camino del Norte section of the forum. Then, if you formulate some specific questions it'll be easier for us to respond.
I started in the last week of March in 2013. The first couple of nights were really hot, but later on it was cold. I stayed in a couple of albergues where it was hard to get warm at night, even when a blanket was provided to go over my summer sleeping bag. So you just don't know. If by silk sleeping bag you mean a silk liner bag, then I think this will not be warm enough.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi there, my cousin and I have decided that we are going to do the Camino del Norte at the end of March. We have never done a Camino but are both very fit so are not too worried about the inclines and rougher walking distances. We do however have a few questions so bare with me and if you could answer the ones you know that would be so great.

1) She will be arriving in barcelona, what is the best way to get to Irun, perferably the cheapest. Would it be best to travel to Irun, find a place to stay for the night and travel in the morning or start right away?
2) The passports that we need to identify ourselves as pilgrims- do we need to pre order these online or can we get them in Irun? Is there a cost for them?
3) Will there be Auberges open at this time? Will we have trouble finding places to stay?
4) My packpack that I bought is a 32 Litre pack, is this big enough? I also have a silk sleeping bag? Will I be too cold? If we are talking about only essentials what do you suggest we pack? ( if you could be specific that would be great)
5) If we are able to walk at a good pace everyday how long should the entire Camino take?
6) Are there any places we should stop and take a day off in order to explore the town?

I’m sorry to have so many questions but it feels as though it is approaching soon and we need answers! I have read many threads as well but it would be nice to have answers for my specific questions,
thank you so much!!!

Hi Selina
I'd catch the train from Barcelona to San Sebastian. Book 2 nights accommodation there. Then the next day catch the train to Irun (about 30 minutes) but leave your rucksacks at the accommodation in San Sebastian. That way you can do the first stage from Irun to San Sebastian, which is fairly hard, without your rucksacks and also you have your accommodation already organised.
Mark

thank you so much!!!
Hi Selina. I'm planning on doing the Camino Del Norte in March of 2023. I was looking online various sites about going there at that time of year and then i stumbled upon your post here. I realise the post is quite old now but non the less i wanted to ask you whether you did in the end do the Camino Del Norte and if so, what was the situation in regards to accommodation? I think that would be my main concern as i have read some places are open and some are not. I hope this message gets to you! Looking forward to a reply. Many thanks!.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all! I walked the Le Puy to Roncesvalles route last spring, and now I am thinking of Arles to Compostela on the Norte in the fall. I have many questions. I have downloaded the WP Norte App. I...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.