• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino on ABC Local Radio

Alan Pearce

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Invierno October 2022
Just after 10 AM tomorrow morning on ABC Central West regional radio, Pete Smith from Orange will be interviewed about his experiences on the camino. Pete has done the Via de la Plate, the Frances and the Aragones, and is both passionate and articulate. The radio station is 549 on the am band.

Alan

Be brave. Life is joyous.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hope they do a podcast Alan - will check it out tomorrow night. Cheers, Janet

(PS - Dee Nolan - who wrote the Food Lovers Pilgrimage to Santiago De Compostela - was on Tony Delroy last Thursday night)

Hi Janet

Tony Delroy is on a little late for me :) Pete Smith has a copy of the book, and very handsome it is too.

Petes brother Mike has walked King Olafs Way twice, and visits Norway on a regular basis to take part in re-enactments of medieval battles [ he has to pay HUGE excess baggage fees on his armour]. If you would like to contact him re info for your Great Adventure you can PM me.

Alan

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Thanks Alan, will make contact later for his details (or send me an email). Apparently Dee Nolan was on ABC National one morning last week too. I bought the book with a gift voucher from Borders the day they brought in the restricted rules! plus with 40 percent off - how lucky was that? It is not a book that I would spend a $100.00 on in normal circumstances - though the photography is superb. It is very definitely a coffee table book, and puts a different slant on the Camino.

Get your cheque book ready - we are nearly ready to go public on the Australian Camino organisation. You did say you wanted to be one of our inaugural members!

Cheers, Janet

Hi Janet

How soon is soon? i leave for Spain in just under 5 weeks. I am taking the credential that I took on the del Norte 18 months ago\ for the start of the walk, as it has a lot of spaces left. I had intended to pick up a Spanish one to finish the walk with, but if I had an Aussie one, so much the better!

I posted my present credential off to St James Church in King St. Sydney yesterday, so they can put their scallop-shell stamp in it, as the first sello of my new camino. I rang them and they said they are stamping more credentials every year, especially for young people. I enclosed a stamped self addressed envelope so they can post it back to me. St James is the oldest church in Sydney, although there is one at Windsor, west of the city, that is older, and is thus the oldest church in Australia.

Alan

Hello Alan, The Credential needs to be approved - along with our constitution etc. We are in the throws of finalizing it to send to Spain and so, unfortunately, I suspect that you will be about 2 weeks early for a credential this trip. If it looks like being ready for you I will send an email pronto. Hope your planning is going well. Cheers, Janet

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hi Alan and Janet. I heard Dee Nolan on Tony Delroy and also have her beautiful book. I did not know that you could get credencials stamped here in Australia. (Is St James church a Catholic church?) Will get our credencials stamped before heading off next year.
Buen Camino, Alan
Sharon
PS There was also an interview of Tom Trumble in the SMH yesterday in the Travel section by Jane Reddy about the camino.

Hi Sharon - can't answer as to that specific St James Church, but here in Adelaide we have 2 St James Churches - one near the city centre and one out in the Adelaide Hills, and both are Anglican. I think it would be a lovely idea for anyone to get their credentials stamped before leaving Oz, if ones church actually had one (a stamp that is!). When our "Friends Group" becomes official we will have one and will stamp the credential on issue. Cheers, Janet

PS I too have Dee Nolan's book - an interesting one, about which I often here the comment that there are a lot of photos that could be anywhere not just on the Camino, but I like the photos that have been chosen. Yes some are missing a direct symbol of pilgrimage (arrows / shell / person etc) but none the less they still epitomize the region that one is walking through while on the Camino.

Hi Sharon

The St. James church I sent my credential to is Anglican. It is commonly called St. James King Street and is pretty much in the centre of Sydney [not that I know much about Sydney].

They posted my credential back to me on Friday. Before they sent it, Dianne from their office rang me to ask if I wanted her to sign it [it is already half full so she saw how each of the sellos from Spain is signed]. From what she said it seems their stamp is just a depiction of a scallop shell, with nothing saying it is from Sydney Australia. I told her to leave it as it was and I will date it and sign it on the 28th of March when I fly out of Sydney for Spain.

Very muggy here, and worked up quite a sweat mowing the lawn. That can be my walk for today. And no, I did not mow the lawn with my backpack on.

buen camino

Alan

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I Received my credential back from Sydney this morning. The sello from St. James King Street is a fine depiction of a scallop shell with "ST. jAMES CHURCH " written underneath. There is not anything signifying that it is from a certain locality. But I know where it's from, and I'm happy :)

buen camino

Alan

Thanks Janet and Alan for the information. It will be good to have our own credential. Hope they aren't as expensive as the CSJ ones. Last time we walked the camino we had a stamp from the PO in our town and also one from the tourist information centre, that depicted a piper ( as we are supposedly THE Scottish town in Australia). We inserted them into our credentials when we got to the Cathedral in Lisbon. The one from St James church, however, sounds much better with a scallop shell.
Sharon
PS Alan, I think you might meet up with Judy who is heading off soon to walk the VDP. We have met over dinner and she mentioned you would also be walking the same route.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.