Search 69,459 Camino Questions

camino primitivo - TEVA's?

ritopaxi

hello there :)

3 years ago i did 500km of the frances with sandals !! which was perfect because i NEVER got blisters ;) that was in september

i'll start the Primitivo tomorrow and planned to take a pair of Salomon's shoes that are very aired and should also prevent blisters.... but the thought just crossed my mind to go with only TEVA's again !

what do you think?

does it get cold in the Primitivo? is there a lot of rough walking?

THANK YOU for your help!!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Well, I would never walk any trail with my Tevas, so I may not be the best person to ask, but there are some pretty uneven trails and steep ascents and rocky descents so I think you may miss a more structured shoe. But people have walked it in fivefingers or whatever those "feet gloves" are called, so who am I to judge? Buen camino, Laurie

aha :) those ninja walkers are out there!

thanks for the quick reply - i do think it's time to take my super light super breathable Salomon to Santiago ;)

they just got home from many long walks in the north of India!

thank you again Laurie, for all your comments *

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
ritopaxi said:
i'll start the Primitivo tomorrow and planned to take a pair of Salomon's shoes that are very aired and should also prevent blisters.... but the thought just crossed my mind to go with only TEVA's again !

what do you think?
I loved the Primitivo and can well understand why Laurie went back. However, when I walked it, there was mud, mud and more mud. Thick, oozy, squishy mud that you couldn't avoid and the thought of that in TEVA's (which I love) makes me shudder.

Of course there was a lot of rain when I walked. You may find that it's absolutely dry and there is no mud to be seen but I wouldn't chance it.

Can you take both? I walked the French and the Portuguese route in Chaco sandals and also had Salomon trainers. I wore the sandals for the majority of the trip but began alternating shoes in the middle of my walk. It was a great way to prevent from getting blisters!

If you can take both, that's ideal. I have Keen sandals that I strap onto my pack whenever I'm doing a long day (40km). When I've got about 10km left, my feet appreciate walking in something different. It's not that big of a hassle to carry them.

Melanie

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.