• Update: The images and attachemnets are now back, we are generating new thumbnails.... (this takes time with 20 years of photos). I know the notification icon gives an error. That error should be gone within an hour or two. Sorry again! Ivar
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Have a look at this Camino Primitivo Guide made by one of our members.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Question

Owen Bubbers

Realistically, how many days does it take to walk between Oviedo and Santiago if one is walking consistently each day? I have a 12 day window - is this hopelessly ambitious?

Many thanks

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Realistically, how many days does it take to walk between Oviedo and Santiago if one is walking consistently each day? I have a 12 day window - is this hopelessly ambitious?

Many thanks
If reasonably fit, 12 full days for walking should be doable. The distance is 315 or so KM, which is ~26 KM per day. If your 12 days also includes travel days to Oviedo or from Santiago, plus a day in Santiago for the pilgrim's Mass, you'll quickly start to put real pressure on yourself with unrealistic daily distances.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I have walked the Primitivo twice, once in 12 days, once in 11 days (my stages here: http://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/my-stages-on-the-camino-primitivo.4841/#post-212690 and
http://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/back-from-the-primitivo-june-2012.14728/

I never felt rushed or like I was going too fast. If you want to walk the Hospitales route alternative (which has a long stretch across a ridge with wide open views), it's hard to figure out an 11 day way to do this, given where the albergues and towns are, though maybe it can be done by someone with better logistical talent than I.

So, long story short, either 11 or 12 days walking is probably the norm -- super walkers can do it in fewer days, I'm sure.

Buen camino, Laurie

I'd echo what others have said. Last year I walked the route in a pretty reasonable 11 days (though with a big push at the end):

Oviedo-San Juan de Villapañada (29.5)
San Juan de Villapañada-Bodenaya (24.3k)
Bodeneya-Borres (27.5k)
Borres-La Mesa (28.5k) (Hospitales Route-which is really beautiful and worth it)
La Mesa-Grandas de Salime (16k)
Grandas de Salime-Padrón (27k)
Padrón-Castroverde (31.5)
Castroverde-Lugo (21.5)
Lugo-As Seixas (31)
As Seixas- Salceda (40)
Salceda-Santiago (28)

If reasonably fit, 12 full days for walking should be doable. The distance is 315 or so KM, which is ~26 KM per day. If your 12 days also includes travel days to Oviedo or from Santiago, plus a day in Santiago for the pilgrim's Mass, you'll quickly start to put real pressure on yourself with unrealistic daily distances.

Many thanks! What are the key highlights to take in in Santiago? You're absolutely right re not putting myself under too much pressure to hit the distances at the expense of savouring the experience.

Thanks again.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Many thanks! What are the key highlights to take in in Santiago? You're absolutely right re not putting myself under too much pressure to hit the distances at the expense of savouring the experience.
Foremost is the cathedral itself --- the museum, the roofs, the crypts, etc. The noon Mass is typically the Pilgrim's Mass, where the counts of the prior day's pilgrims are read out by nationality. Get your Compostella at the Pilgrim's Office. Visit the tourist information center just further down the street from the pilgrim's office.

Hang out around the plaza and surrounding cafes to other pilgrims you've met in the previous two weeks. If you're looking to take back any souvenirs or gifts, this is the place to do it. There is the Route of Routes guide put together by Johnnie Walker of the Pilgrim's Office (and active member of this forum) ---- http://www.caminodesantiago.me/comm...of-routes-in-santiago-de-compostela-guide.16/

A quick search on the forum is likely to turn up a number of things. You might also look here: http://www.mydestination.com/galici...86/20-things-to-do-in-santiago-de-compostela# (also written by Johnnie Walker).

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all! Started today from Oviedo to Escamplero. Now I know, why so many people say it's a bit of a challenge to come out of Oviedo. I got lost just once, but was rescued by a very friendly guy. A...
I have been trying to find a way to avoid the circus during the last stages of Frances. In two hours you can take the Lugo - Ourense train and walk the last stages on the Plata. Is it a good idea...
https://www.alojamientoloshospitales.com/albergue I found a link to this place in an old thread, but can't find it on WisePilgrim, the Gronze map or if I search by address. Can someone tell me...
Hi all Heading out for a meal tonight and Pilgrim mass before starting the Primitivo tomorrow. Any recommendations on where to get a great meal in Oviedo?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back