• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camping

acaciaparadoxa

Im a 25 year old female wishing to camp the route de norte this July - could anyone help me with information re: camping in albergues (outside ofcourse!) and camping along the trail. I was thinking that being July I wouldn't feel quite as isolated as other months of the year but need a bit of help on how frequent campsites are and if one can just set up their tent along the way.

Any suggestions would be great:)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi Acaciaparadoxa
most of the Norte is along the coast and being a holiday destination it has lots of campsites-but they tend to be expensive,you can find out of the way places to wild-camp but I would not recommend it,lots of people use sleeping bags on the beaches but you will be moved on from the larger towns,from memory not many of the albergues have grassed areas some will let you use them but will still charge with some it is not allowed (towns)
I walked with a young german man (25) he liked to sleep outside and did not mind paying,he also where poss slept outside the churches,many have porches and covered area's ( see lovingkindness posts) she slept out most of the time, if its solitude you are seeking lots of the albergues have area's away from the dorms that you can use.(sleep on the floor)
I have slept out a few times but I'm always drawn back to the social aspect of the albergues
I'm sure you would meet a few others doing what you plan to do if thats what you want.
I would be failing as a parent (sorry) if I didn't say walk with safety in mind.
buen camino
Ian

With my chemical sensitivities, I found it necessary to sleep outdoors several times along the Camino, both the Frances and the Norte. I generally paid the fee for the albergue, and then pitched my tent in the yard with no problems. A couple of times there were places to quietly wild-camp, as you will see on Lovingkindness' thread.

If it's in your heart to camp, I'd say go for it but take along some cash so you can pay when necessary. Keep in mind that many sections of the Norte are along coastal towns and roads lined by private properties. I don't guess it would hurt to ask if you can pitch your tent in someone's yard or field, although I'm not sure I'd be that brave. :)

Whatever you decide, Buen Camino!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
We camped most of the time along the Norte, and found wild camping quite easy. Just avoid seaside towns - get out of town and there will be plenty of places. Legally in Spain you should be more than 1 km from a campsite. You can ask farmers etc, but we found it was really hard to find who owned a bit of land, so just put tent up an hour before dark, cooked, then slept, gone at first light. No problems! Campsites are expensive, often you are charged the same as a family in a caravan, then made to pitch on a slope miles from the facilities. But sometimes they are useful, in Oreo (west of San Sebastian) we arrived at the campsite near the beach in a huge storm. They pitched us right opposite the facilities and let us cook up our food in the laundry! The campsite on hill after San Sebastian is v expensive and sloped. A couple of kms further on is a great picnic area with panoramic views - and toilets! Good luck.

[snip]... not many of the albergues have grassed areas some will let you use them but will still charge with some it is not allowed (towns)...
If I understood correctly, what a hospitalero told me was that (in Galicia at least) the albergues received a license or permit to house x-number of pilgrims, and that included those camping or sleeping outdoors on the albergue property. Of course I have no idea if that is strictly enforced by whatever authority issued the license/permit.
Buen Camino,
Jim

I camped some onthe Frances but found it somewhat inconvenient. it is technically illegal to wild camp in Spain and I did not get positive responses when I asked a out private land. I plan on doing some camping on my next pilgrimage in the fall. I'm not sure which route I will take yet though

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
A few Camping questions:
  1. How much do the Albergues charge pilgrims for camping in their gardens? Do they charge the same amount or give a discount?
  2. What kind of sleeping bag would you recommend - Synthetic or Down? and why one over the other? I am aware that Down is warmer but difficult to dry if it gets wet and synthetic is not as warm for the same weight.
  3. What temperature rating would one want to go for during late Spring/Summer/early Autumn?
  4. What additional gear do you bring for camping that would not bring for staying in Albergues. Obviously there is the tent or the tarp or both, what else? What cooking gear would you bring? Where would you shower, wash clothes etc.
Regards

C

A few Camping questions:
  1. How much do the Albergues charge pilgrims for camping in their gardens? Do they charge the same amount or give a discount?
  2. What kind of sleeping bag would you recommend - Synthetic or Down? and why one over the other? I am aware that Down is warmer but difficult to dry if it gets wet and synthetic is not as warm for the same weight.
  3. What temperature rating would one want to go for during late Spring/Summer/early Autumn?
  4. What additional gear do you bring for camping that would not bring for staying in Albergues. Obviously there is the tent or the tarp or both, what else? What cooking gear would you bring? Where would you shower, wash clothes etc.
Regards

C
I have the same questions! We are planning to go this late June-July, and are trying to decide if we even need a sleeping bag?? Is that crazy or can we get away with a good silk sleep sack?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I have the same questions! We are planning to go this late June-July, and are trying to decide if we even need a sleeping bag?? Is that crazy or can we get away with a good silk sleep sack?

It will be hot! Hence staying in albergues in June-July a sleep sack is all that would be required. The idea is too keep your skin from directly touching the bunk mattress.

MM

Hi mspath, thank you! We will be camping so are trying to determine if we need a bag for sleeping outdoors, or if we can get away with just a silk liner or fleece bag.

Im a 25 year old female wishing to camp the route de norte this July - could anyone help me with information re: camping in albergues (outside ofcourse!) and camping along the trail. I was thinking that being July I wouldn't feel quite as isolated as other months of the year but need a bit of help on how frequent campsites are and if one can just set up their tent along the way.

Any suggestions would be great:)

Hi there, now that you have done your camino, can you respond to your questions? I have similar ones! Mostly I am trying to determine how often I'll be able to camp on the norte (or Frances), if I can wild camp or officially camp for as cheap/cheaper than the albuergues, and if we'll need more than a sleep sack or fleece blanket (we are a couple) at night in a tent? We are going in July. Thanks!!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
A few Camping questions:
It would be great to know the answers to these. Did you complete the journey?

The OP of this thread never returned to review the information and opinions posted. @CISSA69 has not visited the forum since April 2016. However, there are many threads on camping and wild-camping. And I have every sympathy with @Kanga: there is a world of difference between free-camping in wilderness areas and plonking your-self down within a few hundred metres of the autopista peregrino the greatest linear city in the world.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The OP of this thread never returned to review the information and opinions posted. @CISSA69 has not visited the forum since April 2016. However, there are many threads on camping and wild-camping. And I have every sympathy with @Kanga: there is a world of difference between free-camping in wilderness areas and plonking your-self down within a few hundred metres of the autopista peregrino the greatest linear city in the world.

As someone who has been a countryman all his life, even the use of the term "stealth camping" (as defined in one of the links above "Stealth camping is the act of secretly camping in a public or private area (sometimes legally – sometimes illegally) and moving on the next morning without being detected.") makes my hackles rise :mad:.
I have seen so many broken bottles, discarded tins and human "droppings" causing damage to crops and livestock that I would be against any camping outside of designated areas. I am saddened to see a "CSJ volunteer" promoting the idea.
At least Asturias (among others) has the right idea - No Camping - fullstop!

No blessings for "wild campers"!
Tio Tel

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all! I walked the Le Puy to Roncesvalles route last spring, and now I am thinking of Arles to Compostela on the Norte in the fall. I have many questions. I have downloaded the WP Norte App. I...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back