• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Can I avoid dining alone?!

omi1

Time of past OR future Camino
Leon to SDC (2014)
Porto to SDC (2015)
Astorga to SDC(2017)
SJPdeP toBurgos (Oct 2018)
How do people who travel solo meet people for dinner? I plan on walking fairly short days, as this is my first Camino and I am not as fit as I would like to be. This means I will be unlikely to meet with the same people each evening, because I will have fallen behind them. I am happiest walking alone, but I hate dining alone. Can anyone give me some advice/reassurance?! I will be going in August.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Just a little boldness does the trick; ask those with you in the albergue if they are going to dinner. If you are in a place that offers dinner, go to it and you will have instant companions. If you are first in the restaurant, ask pilgrim types to join your table.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
It is normal and common on the Camino to simply ask if you can join others for dinner. Most of them have recently met and are happy to add to the group.
There is the occasional "closed" group of folk who prefer to stay a bit aloof..but they are easy to spot and are rare.
You will be fine..just jump in. Very different from non-Camino situations.

Est-ce que peux vous accompagner?
¿Puedo acompañarles?
are useful forms or politeness.
I agree, some things that you would not try in daily life are common usage in the Camino. And (almost) everybody is in a gregarious mode.
Buen camino!

How do people who travel solo meet people for dinner? I plan on walking fairly short days, as this is my first Camino and I am not as fit as I would like to be. This means I will be unlikely to meet with the same people each evening, because I will have fallen behind them. I am happiest walking alone, but I hate dining alone. Can anyone give me some advice/reassurance?! I will be going in August.
Omi
The one thing you'll hear continually on your way is the friendly greeting of 'Buen Camino ' from almost any one who passes or catches your eye. Use this greeting as an opener and talk to them / invite them to join you at your table or when walking the way mention that you'd like to have company for later. More than likely you'll hear that they are either all eating in the Alburgue or that you're welcome to join that person or group when they go out to discover a place to eat later.
Buen Camino

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
On the Camino starred Michelin eateries are few and far between, those restaurants offering the pilgrims menu encourage pilgrims to slide in next to one another, why set another table? Chose an international group –English being the Lingua Franca these days - or you may find yourself warmly welcomed by a group which speaks only Polish, French, or Korean. Such seating arrangements while considered quaint among Anglo-Saxons are accepted custom in workingmen's restaurants in Spain, Portugal, parts of Italy, and throughout the Mediterranean. Smile, recall something remarkable that you witnessed that day and you are in! Your blisters will receive sympathy but nobody really wants to know!

In many places you will be seated at long tables with six to ten others and you will not have a choice about eating alone. At places where there are small tables, as the others have said, just ask may you join them, you will get a feel for it very quickly.
Have a great Camino.

Hola

Before you depart you may want to 'brush' up on your cooking skills.
Many evenings there will be a group of pilgrims who will prepare a meal together in the albergue kitchen.
Often an inexpensive dish which all pay their part of.
If you are able to organize shopping and preparing of food, you most probably will have good company to share the food with, as not all are used to or able to cook.
Also remember, that many will be in the same situation as you. Walking slow so you will always have company of some sort.

Buen camino
Lettinggo

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I left for my camino on my own but never ate alone. As has been mentioned before, if food is offered at the Albergue you will all eat together anyway and there was always a great atmosphere during those meals which then carries on to the evening. I very soon started walking with a few other single walkers but on the days when I stopped somewhere on my own I just seemed to automatically sit with some people I recognized or was immediately invited to join a group of people, it just seemed so natural. After a few days you will get to recognize others you have met on the way, you'll either meet others who are walking at your pace (Blisters are a great way to slow someone's pace) or you'll meet up with some that have just had a rest day that you met a few days ago. One of the phrases I heard very regularly in the evenings was 'No one eats alone on the Camino'. Besides, after walking with a group of people for a few days it's good to talk to new people at meal times so most people will be happy to have you join them at their table. You'll also meet many of these same people en route at the cafes when you stop for breakfast and possibly lunch too. Age and language were never a barrier to mixing with people on the camino and I enjoyed all my meal times around such a varied and fun group of people.
I walked in April 2010 so I'd imagine August would be even busier and thus friendlier. It's partly the memories of the great people I met at meal times that's started me planning a return camino earlier than I'd always intended. Relax and look forward to the whole experience.

You are never alone on the Camino....

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
A good tip for joining another or a few at a table is to be interested in he/she/they,ask questions and don´t bore people with the petty details of one´s own life unless asked.
Smiles open doors and eye contact is important during conversation. BE YOURSELF and don´t think you should try to be anything different. Be truthful and respectful of others differences. If another is unkind or hurtful, always try to respond with graciousness. A kind word eases a lot of pain. Hope these tips help.Bom caminho.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
If the question had been "Can I avoid eating with strangers?" I would have replied "Only if you are determined"
Al,
The only thing inaccurate about your comment is that there are no strangers on the Camino, it's just one big, happy family who enjoy meeting and welcoming newcomers ;). My wife and I never felt uncomfortable asking "May we join you?" or felt unwelcome as long as we dined at Camino-related cafés, bars or restaurants. It's only in the big cities where the dining establishments cater mainly to locals or to conventional tourists that the community atmosphere does not prevail. We did have one experience when we stayed at a small hotel in Lavacolla on our final night before reaching Santiago: we went down to the hotel dining room for breakfast and sat a made-up table. The server/owner asked us if we were "part of the group" (of tourigrinos). When we answered "no," she told us we must sit at another, unmade table.

Ultreia,
Jim

Don,t be such a girl. Just do it!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

I'm leaving from SJPDP on Aug 24. When do you leave? Maybe we'll have dinner and I can coach on the glory of dining alone the next time. There are real benefits.

Thanks for all the replies. I do feel reassured now, that I will find people to break bread with on the way.
oh have no worries , you will be eating and sharing stories as soon as you get on the road and like the others have said the language barrier that my be difficult in other situations is easily fixed with a smile and gesture,

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I'm leaving from SJPDP on Aug 24. When do you leave? Maybe we'll have dinner and I can coach on the glory of dining alone the next time. There are real benefits.
I am leaving on the 15th, all being well. I'm slow and all, but you mightn't catch me! Thank-you for the invitation though.

Al,
The only thing inaccurate about your comment is that there are no strangers on the Camino, it's just one big, happy family who enjoy meeting and welcoming newcomers ;). My wife and I never felt uncomfortable asking "May we join you?" or felt unwelcome as long as we dined at Camino-related cafés, bars or restaurants. It's only in the big cities where the dining establishments cater mainly to locals or to conventional tourists that the community atmosphere does not prevail. We did have one experience when we stayed at a small hotel in Lavacolla on our final night before reaching Santiago: we went down to the hotel dining room for breakfast and sat a made-up table. The server/owner asked us if we were "part of the group" (of tourigrinos). When we answered "no," she told us we must sit at another, unmade table.

Ultreia,
Jim
You are so right Jim. I quite agree that I should have said previously unencountered friends.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
If the question had been "Can I avoid eating with strangers?" I would have replied "Only if you are determined"
Actually, my walking companion and I did encounter someone who seemed determined to dine alone.

We were in a small pueblo, with just one very busy bar which was doing its best to accommodate a lot of hungry patrons. Tables and seats were filling fast, and peregrinos were wandering around looking for available seats; my companion and I invited two such peregrinos to join us at our table, which could accommodate four persons.

There was one man sitting alone at a table for two. He kept his eyes averted the entire time, and he remained alone. At the time, I was bewildered that he seemed so oblivious to the fact that others were looking, and waiting, for seats. In hindsight now, I can appreciate that there could be any number of reasons he needed, or wanted, to be alone, and I / we need to respect that. Sometimes, a person’s burdens make him emotionally fragile and he needs to be by himself; at these times social intercourse, especially with strangers, is an ordeal that cannot be shouldered. I’m not saying that this is the case here; I’m just saying that I don’t know.

I am reminded of a quote I posted elsewhere on this Forum: Never Miss an Opportunity to make others Happy, even If You have to Leave them Alone In Order to Do It.

Okay, I’ve said enough for now.

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back