• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Christchurch Earthquake

grayland

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Yes
I am concerned about our many Kiwi Camino friends in light of the big earthquake today.
It appears that there is much damage and some deaths.
Our prayers are with the New Zealanders.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
My thoughts go out to the folks in Christchurch and hoping for their safety.

lynne

We just woke up in Spain to this news... crossing my fingers that everyone is well, I saw some pictures of buildings and it looked like this was a strong one..

Un abrazo grande!
Ivar

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Our Australian prime minister was in New Zealand very recently and was invited to address NZ parliamentarians. She told them that of all the countries in the world with which Australia has pacts and treaties and associations, only New Zealand is family. We mourn with you.

Alan

Be brave.

If any pilgrims are heading to the Crus de Ferro over the next couple of days it would be a beautiful thing if they could say a pray or leave something there.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Thanks for these kind thoughts and prayers from all over the world. Christchurch is almost the antipodes of Spain, so it is very comforting to know that people are thinking of the people of Christchurch while on the other side of the world. I grew up there and have family there, and they are going through a very bad time. Unfortunately many of the beautiful old gothic churches and other buildings from the early Christian settlers, including the main cathedral, have been badly damaged. New Zealand is a beautiful place, especially for a long walk. http://www.teararoa.org.nz/index.cfm

We are all watching and hoping for the best for everyone. We are getting news first hand here as the ABC is still broadcasting TV One (NZ) over here. So many of us here in Australia have family and friends in Chch, and because of that we also have many memories of holidays, or, like me of the time when I lived there. Our hearts go out, not only to the residents who have lost the buildings and the infrastructure of a really lovely city, but, and especially, to those who won't have their loved ones walk through the door. The whole thing is tragic. Commendations must go to the leadership of the Mayor and the PM - they are showing strength and wisdom in their responses. Janet

This seems to have been an incredibly difficult time for NZ as well as Australia! I know there are people the world over thinking of you and praying for all of you. The Camino (among other things!) has made so many of those "distant" places into homes of people I care about. Makes watching the news very difficult somedays. Thinking of you all, Karin

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Thank you all for the kind words posted on this Forum; no place is as far from Santiago as Christchurch where we live, the antipodes of Spain, and this makes it specially touching to know that we are remembered.

The dramatic picture of the destroyed buildings and churches, and rescued people, is slowly fading but the real grieving and long road to recovery is very real. So many people lost their lives, so many lost their limbs, countless have lost their livehood, and a great many are traumatised. The suffering is ongoing as a week after the event many places still have no water or sanitation, no electricity. Many ongoing aftershocks.

We were violently shaken about in Christchurch, things were broken, our house will need repair. These are replaceable but we are still dealing with helping the overseas parents who have come to recover the bodies of their loved ones under the rubble, some may never be recovered. Many homes have to be torn down for safety and the contents lost as the tenants are not allowed to go in to recover them, no monetary handout can compensate for the loss of family treasures, personal letters, pictures, mementoes.

I had no idea that a Forum like this would have so many sympathetic responses from total strangers, long may this Forum continue. We are touched.

For those on the Camino, buen camino, spare a thought for those still suffering in Christchurch. The response from volunteers, Red Cross, have been fantastic but be assured any donation will be used properly and directly to assist victims.

Grandpa Joe in Christchurch

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I am concerned about our many Japanese Camino friends in light of the big earthquake today.
It appears that there is much damage and some deaths.
Our prayers are with the Japanese.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back