• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Common approach from Santiago to Finisterre

Bernatchez M

Life Is Good . . .
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances September 2014
I will be walking the Camino this October and would like to get to Finisterre as well. I and am curious if people tend to go to Santiago first and get their compestela, and rest for a day and then go to Finisterre, or do folks tend to go to Finisterre first and circle back to Santiago? Also if you leave from Santiago, is it typically a two night/3 day trip out to Finisterre and then find transportation back?

I know there are no "rules". I'm just curious how most folks tend to experience it all.

Thanks for your feedback.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Most will stop in SdC for a night or two. A wonderful experience if time allows to greet others met along the walk over the past few weeks. Sometimes very tearful reunions.

Walking to Fisterra afterwards takes 3-4 days depending on how one walks.

While getting the bus back to SdC is common from Fisterra, some prefer to walk back.

I like your "no rules".

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
It's best to book any bus back from Finisterre to SDC in advance as some days the bus gets full. Also get to the bus stop (and the bus when it arrives) to be at front of queue as sometimes the driver lets people without prepaid tickets get on before making sure all those with them get on first. I have known this happen and the ones who got left behind had to wait for another bus to be sent.

Originally Michael we stayed 2 nights , as Simon said for the company you shared 4 weeks with in/on all terrain and weather.
Then we walked on to Finisterre.
Bus easier from Finisterre and better to take 4 days....wind down and enjoy.
Its also getting very popular with the short camino's walkers on holidays, very popular so be careful with bookings.

However we now have lunch in santiago , walk only to Muxia and return from there after 4 days on the early bus.
We then spend a few days seeing the city away from the church and pilgrims ........its a very lovely town......and even when you are in the back blocks the locals still wish you a bonn camino .......they know by your gait, bandages on toes and attitude

Do your own thing Michael , come back and do the Norte and take the road you miss this year.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

yesterday a very dear friend passed away, a wonderful lady I have known since I started working in the Middle East 15 years ago (she was Muslim- only writing that as it was strange to others she...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back