Search 69,459 Camino Questions

cooking query for Baztan, Salvador and Primitivo

Kiwi-family

{Rachael, the Mama of the family}
Time of past OR future Camino
walking every day for the rest of my life
We are planning on these routes to use albergues and are aware that we will need to carry some food in case the kids don't manage long distances. To this end, I have made some curries and stews and dehydrated them.
Question is: will be albergues have a pot we can boil some water in to rehydrate our goodies or are they like Galician albergues with nothing but the kitchen sink? I am very wary of carrying unnecessary weight, but I would take a lightweight pot if it was going to be the only way to secure hot water.
Any ideas?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The albergue in Poladura de la Tercia had cooking facilities. I cant recall if the one in Pajares did, the main kitchen was locked up but Marisa was a very good cook. I think there may have been a microwave but that's just a guess.

The trouble you may run into is very jealous pilgrims... A curry after a day in the mountains... could lead to violence and mutiny :)

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Jean-Marc has a good idea to check the eroski site for information -- I´d go there first for all of your routes, kiwi-family. Based on my own recollection, here are a couple of random memories from the Salvador-Primitivo, not in order (and of course this is a moving target since things are always changing):

-- Pajares -- microwave and a few pots-dishes, I think
--Pola de Gordon -- microwave and absolutely nothing else

-- monastery in Cornellana (microwave but not much else)
-- San Juan de Villapanada (full kitchen, hospitalero cooks communal dinner with pilgrims)
--Bodenaya (same as San Juan, you do not have access to the kitchen except as a helper)
-- Pola de Allande, not even a cracked cup
--Berducedo - some basic supplies
--Grandas de Salime -- full glorious kitchen
--Fonsagrada-Padron -- full kitchen
-- Cadavo -- pretty full kitchen
-- San Roman --small municipal albergue has well stocked kitchen
-- Lugo - kitchen with nothing in it
-- Melide -- municipal albergue has full stocked kitchen, as does Arzua.

I´m sure there are more, but these are the ones that I remember. Good to hear from you again, mamakiwi! Laurie

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all! Started today from Oviedo to Escamplero. Now I know, why so many people say it's a bit of a challenge to come out of Oviedo. I got lost just once, but was rescued by a very friendly guy. A...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.