• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Cost for Alberques on El Norte

Rajy62

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 2013, Norte/primitivo 2014, vdlp (2015)
Last year on Camino Frances I paid between 8-10 euros (per night) for private alberques. What is the cost on del Norte? I get mixed info, some say it is cheaper 3-5 euros and some say it is more expensive in the 10-15 euro range. Anyone confirm the average albergue cost?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hola

On Camino Norte there are fewer Albergue Municipals/Xuntas than on Camino Frances, so in general one has to stay at private accomodations/youth hostels at times.
This makes lodging a bit more expensive on CN than CF.
A youth hostel cost around 15-25 Euro.
There are some albergues that are donativo or cost 3-5 Euros as well, but overall expect a higher daily budget.
How much more will also depend on the season you will be walking.

Buen Camino
Lettinggo

Ha! My experience last year was slightly different to Lettingo's.
I stayed in four youth hostels and I don't think any of them charged more than €13 and two included breakfast. Private albergues were around €9-11. The more expensive part was in the first 10 days where I had to stay in guest-house or pension-style accommodation three times for between €15-2o for a single (in April, probably more later in the year). I did the second half from Ribadasella to Santiago in August and most of the places I stayed at were municipal-type albergues charging €6.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Tom, were there less alberques during the first 10 days or just crowed that you had to stay elsewhere? I am planning to go in June. Hopefully i gather it is not the busiest time.

Hola

This time I will get it right!
Less Albergues in Basque and up until Bilbao.
After that it becomes easier and I don't think you should worry to much about crowds even in June.
This is just a hunch I got from reading forum as I, as well a Tom, walked the Norte in March/April (different years though).

Lettinggo

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I walked the Norte in June last year and accommodation was not a problem. Around 12 to 15 euro for the first couple of weeks after Irun, getting cheaper on the Primitivo. I had a few nights in pensiones too, which in June were still good value (average 30, perhaps) as they were not yet charging 'high season' prices

Most read last week in this forum

Last May I walked the first part of the Norte in the opposite direction, from Santander to Irun. Since I only had two weeks and couldn't reach Santiago anyway, I wanted to swim against the tide...
Tomorrow I fly to Bilbao to start my 5th stint on the Camino. I did the Frances in three parts (2016, 2017 and 2022). Last year I did the Portuguese from Porto. I did the first 200 km of the...
I thought I had this all figured out, but I have ended up with 2 train tickets from San Sebastian (I don't even know if it's the airport or the town) to Irun, instead of ONE that goes all the way...
I use Alltrails a lot here in the US, in Iceland, on the Via Podiensis and a bit on the CF. Will it be useful on the Norte? For example, people here say the "warm up" from Biarritz to Irun (or...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back