• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Cycling from Leon to Santiago May 2014

mgtstorey

Hi All I am cycling the camino from Leon to Santiago alone in May planning to do the cycle over 6 days 300 km, any advice from other cyclists, bit nervous, have booked into hotels along the route

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi also cycling from Leon to Santiago with my partner Daina in March/April 2014 so far booked flights to Madrid and returning from Porto now need advice how to get to Leon and where to stay once we get there, hiring bikes so need a hotel which will accept them until we arrive any help would be gratefully acepted.

In Leon, I stayed at a place called Hostal Guzman El Bueno. It's a family operation. At least it was when i stayed there in 2012. I stayed twice in fact. It's right in the old city very near the cathedral. The rooms were quiet and clean. The lobby was small but they were able and willing to take me and my bike.
If you've already booked your rooms you should not have any problems. If you have any experience at all with cycle touring, you should have no problem. The French route of the Way of Saint James is as easy as it gets. I followed the foot path the entire way from San Jean on a touring bike. A mountain bike is not necessary but I did have wider tires. There were a few sections on the footpaths where it was steep and rocky and I pushed my bike. I was carrying a full camping kit too.
Just remember to enjoy yourself.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I rode last April by myself. Any fears you have you should let them go. If I could give some advice, take your time and enjoy each day. I rushed the first half from Burgos to Leon and regretted not stopping to explore more. I didn't pre book anything and found somewhere to stay everyday without a problem. One more thing don't over pack. Those paniers can get heavy going up hill when they are full. Next time I will will be much lighter. I ended up layering the same clothes everyday anyway and washed the under garments. I flew with everything I had in a small backpack as carry on and still was over packed. Light and layer!

Hi also cycling from Leon to Santiago with my partner Daina in March/April 2014 so far booked flights to Madrid and returning from Porto now need advice how to get to Leon and where to stay once we get there, hiring bikes so need a hotel which will accept them until we arrive any help would be gratefully acepted.

Just about any hotel is used to it and will receive the bikes. My rental company took care of that for me and was not a problem.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I rode last April by myself. Any fears you have you should let them go. If I could give some advice, take your time and enjoy each day. I rushed the first half from Burgos to Leon and regretted not stopping to explore more. I didn't pre book anything and found somewhere to stay everyday without a problem. One more thing don't over pack. Those paniers can get heavy going up hill when they are full. Next time I will will be much lighter. I ended up layering the same clothes everyday anyway and washed the under garments. I flew with everything I had in a small backpack as carry on and still was over packed. Light and layer!

Hi dduroy
I walked the Camino last may/June & go again this June but my foot is troubling me now so I 'm considering cycling from burgos to santiago, How long did it take u, hired the bike from, or any other information.
Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
...and leave when there's daylight : )

I got caught by the police in the highway as I asked a man for directions at 5am in the morning. Must've been lost in translation.

Have fun.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi All I am cycling the camino from Leon to Santiago alone in May planning to do the cycle over 6 days 300 km, any advice from other cyclists, bit nervous, have booked into hotels along the route

Hi, that should be no problem if you are reasonably fit. Leon/Astorga (Gaudi Hotel is nice), Astorga/Molinaseca or Ponferrada, Ponferrada/O Cebreiro, O Cebreiro/Sarria, Sarria/Melide, (visit Ezequiel for pulpo!), Melide/Santiago. That has been my route for 5 caminos, and I am doing it again this year God willing!

Last edited by a moderator:

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Planning to ride from Burgos to Santiago on August 30. I am renting a mountain
Bike from bikeiberia. Looking for suggestions and if someone else will be riding
During the same time period.

Most read last week in this forum

I Willl start biking from SJPD on 9.may with Ebike. I have a list of bike friendly albergs is there somebody who have experience with charging batery in such alberg. Do i need afdition 220v...
Plan to cycle between Burgos and Leon over three or four days. Are there any interesting detours between these two cities that would take up a 4th day?

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back