• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Day one to San Sabastian

shefollowsshells

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Several alone and with children
I'm writing from a nice vegan restaurant over the bridge in San Sebastian, I love this town!!!!
The place I am eating at was recommended by the young fella at the hostel I am staying at.

I found my way to Roger's House , a young hip hostel , Audrey's recommendation from our forum.
The cost is 18 euros a night and he opened the fridge and pretty much said to help myself in the AM.
No other pilgrim there but many young kids during their " gap year" at school and I am really enjoying talking to them, so a nice little evening. there is a sign awarding it friendliest staff, and I can see why the got this. I'm older than the crew staying here, but they seem accepting and have been very nice to chat with.

Today was hard, but splendid! A beautiful walk.
I left for dinner without David's book or I might be more detailed here , I might need to come back and share my thoughts more specifically to add some info.

I left the auberge At 8:45, you,ll find I am later riser than most as I share my days BUT I typically will walk long days with several breaks. It's good I didn't get out to early for the church with the black Madonna opens at 9:30 and I think I got there about that time. The side was open a jar and it appeared no one was there.

Almost immediately you are left the choice to go UP or skirt the bottom, I had assumed the lower trail was North, and looking back over David's words he clearly had shared that left was the lower trail and the high trail was the one closer to the coast. The high trail is indeed high, and you know what you are getting yourself into immediately, you see the hill and you see the path.

There is zero chance of getting lost ( speaking of this stage), I actually felt like I was following the person marking the trail because if I paused with doubt there was a mark. You must know that the red and white marks are used here too! Can a place be too marked?
There was one spot where I felt like I had to almost crawl over rocks ( behind a building, maybe a water pump or something) I was convinced I was the ONLY person ever to do this...but nope , there were red ans white signs telling me many others had gone this way.

So my funny story of the day...
After you make the decision to go the alpine route , higher route, near the top of that first big hill is a fence, clearly closed off and then further closed off with some kind thick material. I took off my backpack hurled it over my head to throw it over the fence and with bootie in the air climbed over the fence, certain my body weight would carve an open path for any future pilgrims when the gate broke. It withstood and right when I was ready to put my pack back on two local men out for their daily walk approached the fence , lifted the cloth tie with minimal effort and proceeded to walk thru the fence.

I loved Pesai Donibane...I was there in about four and a half hours and ate a generous serving of calamari , coke, cafe con leche for just under 8 euro, the water taxi is now .7 Euro and I gave the guy a euro.
The light house walk, going right just about killed me, from that point on I struggled some , and concluded for me that this was harder than the Pyrenees.

My dinner at this vegan restaurant came to 8 euros.
So 35 euros today!

Yesterday I had to pay 21 euros to go from Charles de gaul to Orley via BUS ( I miss typed train yesterday, it was a bus) 2 euros to go from airport to Hendaye , 8 euros for a lunch of kabob, coke and coffee and 17 euros for my nights stay.

For those afraid of being alone there are many young travelers who love to chat with you about the Camino, and while not socializing with pilgrims these have been wonderful conversations.

I met four pilgrims today, my two German bunk mates from last night who are walking ten or so days, anda young engaged couple from England and New Zeland. All four did not come to San Sebastian but stopped on the way.

I'm not certain I have ever been so tired....

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Loved reading how you are finding this route and carving your own trail through the fences. Makes it good reading. I hope you don't get too tuckered out to send a few more as you go. There don't appear to be as many regular posts from the Norte. (I know there are threads) but I'm speaking about latest posts. Will keep following you and thank you and Buen Camino. (You must be missing those greetings at this point? Compared to CF?

Annie

We spent a few days in S. Sabastian last year after walking the VdlP. We were not walking...just sightseeing. It really is a special place.
Looking forward to getting back there in August on the Norte.
Walk easy.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
:)
I´m so happy you´re enjoying your "stroll" . You´re in for some cloudy weather this week , rain isn´t arriving till Wed. so they say.

Hope to be able to meet up when you pass thru Bilbo. Depending how you´re walking and what your plans are I may be able to walk a
stage with you on Saturday ( Portugalete - Pobeña or to Castro) if you don´t mind.

Enjoy the walk thru the Land of the Basque. In any case.........

Ondo Ibili !

hi keep posting your camino i will start my norte camino on the 5th may from irun i was thinking of booking my first night in the youth hostel in irun then try and find more info about rogers place in san. sabastian can you book on line there. take care.

I start on April 2nd from San Sebastian. I will be following your posts with interest.

Ultreya,
Joe

I´m so happy you´re enjoying your "stroll" . You´re in for some cloudy weather this week , rain isn´t arriving till Wed. so they say.

Hope to be able to meet up when you pass thru Bilbo. Depending how you´re walking and what your plans are I may be able to walk a
stage with you on Saturday ( Portugalete - Pobeña or to Castro) if you don´t mind.

Enjoy the walk thru the Land of the Basque. In any case.........

Ondo Ibili !
I would love that!!!!
You have always been such an asset to this board and been so giving of information, I would be thrilled to make that happen. Gerr on our forum here arrives the first into Bilbo and I had hoped to meet him there too but I totally underestimated this Camino...he might be willing to back track....nit sure
I will email you off line :)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
:)

hi keep posting your camino i will start my norte camino on the 5th may from irun i was thinking of booking my first night in the youth hostel in irun then try and find more info about rogers place in san. sabastian can you book on line there. take care.
If I go to a bar or restaurant I can get on line, using my ipad but one could use their phone too.
I had quickly glanced at the address and location on the map for Rogers Place so I knew it was between the two beaches on that bulb of land with the park at the tip. I also remembered the name of the street and police directed me there.
The street is Juan de Bilbo and an alley of bars, Rogers Place was about 2/3rds down on the left and the only mention of it is a small sign at the doorbell.

If I go to a bar or restaurant I can get on line, using my ipad but one could use their phone too.
I had quickly glanced at the address and location on the map for Rogers Place so I knew it was between the two beaches on that bulb of land with the park at the tip. I also remembered the name of the street and police directed me there.
The street is Juan de Bilbo and an alley of bars, Rogers Place was about 2/3rds down on the left and the only mention of it is a small sign at the doorbell.

Shefollowsshells:

If you have feedback on your stops each evening, I will be listening intently.

Ultreya,
Joe

Thanks for the posts. I am really enjoying them and will be eagerly awaiting each days adventure. My hubby and I will be starting del Norte on 10 September this year.
Buen Camino
Lesley

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Looking forward to your blog, I start my Camino from San Sebastion around 20th May 2014 - so looking forward to the journey

Hi Mazgirl
My friend and I will be a day behind you. Starting from Irun on 20th. We are booked into Pension Goiko in San Sebastion on 21st. We might cross paths on the way. :)

Hi Camino07
I quite sure we will catch up some where along the trail, I will check out the Pension Goiki as we have not made any arrangements just going to take each day as it comes

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
April 23rd and the count down is on, it will be May 16th before we know it and that's the day we leave Rotorua NZ to start our journey to Spain and the Notre del Camino I am sure there will be days when I think " what am I doing" but so looking forward to the experience

Hello. Am planning to begin on 4 or 5 September but arrive rather late on an Easyet flight from London on 4 September. Question a) any ideas as to places to stay at airport or in Biaritz and b) is there any point in beginning the walk in Biarritz, Hendye or St Jean de Luz and walking to Irun?? Thanks for any info!

Hello
Can I get a pilgrims passport from the cathedral in San senastian? Also can somebody tell me how many km's I will have to walk the first day to reach the first alberge?
Thank you very much
Charlie

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Well I have finished my Camino and what an amazing journey and the great memories I will have for the rest of my life, it was challenging at times and having had a severe
back injury earlier in the year I had days when it was hard to walk but was determined to walk to Santiago
I met a lot of nice people from around the world and some of the nicest Spanish people you could ever meet , we were very lucky with only a couple of rainy days and plenty of sunshine
I was so overwhelmed when I arrive at the cathedral and when I received my Compostela I could not stop the tears when I realized what I had achieved

I think it gets into your blood as I would love to do another Camino so watch this space

Buen Camino to all those people starting their own Camino enjoy the experience

Most read last week in this forum

Last May I walked the first part of the Norte in the opposite direction, from Santander to Irun. Since I only had two weeks and couldn't reach Santiago anyway, I wanted to swim against the tide...
Tomorrow I fly to Bilbao to start my 5th stint on the Camino. I did the Frances in three parts (2016, 2017 and 2022). Last year I did the Portuguese from Porto. I did the first 200 km of the...
I thought I had this all figured out, but I have ended up with 2 train tickets from San Sebastian (I don't even know if it's the airport or the town) to Irun, instead of ONE that goes all the way...
I use Alltrails a lot here in the US, in Iceland, on the Via Podiensis and a bit on the CF. Will it be useful on the Norte? For example, people here say the "warm up" from Biarritz to Irun (or...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.