Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Detour through Potes and Covadonga off el Norte

Mpfreebird

Time of past OR future Camino
Sept 1995 Camino Frances. April 2013 Camino del Norte
On bicycle and we want to detour through Liebano and Potes. Does anyone know how to link back to el Norte going by Covadonga and not having to backtrack? Going beginning of April so we do worry about snow. Thanks for any advice

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
We plan to walk the GR 105.2 route from Llanes to Covadonga then out to the Norte. You can follow the road from Covadonga to Cangas de Onis, Arriondas and then the AS-260 to Colunga on the Norte. Highest point 629mts at the Mirador (viewpoint). Otherwise you can go from Arriondas, on the N-634, slightly back and northwards to Ribadasella - also on the coast and on the Norte. It depends on which you prefer.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
As you travel through the gorge to Potes it is worth turning off (left) to the church of Sta Maria de Lebeña. It is only a few metres off the road and is open approx 10.00 - 12.00 and 16.00 - 18.00.
The altar is a re-used ancient disc (Celtic?)

Attachments

• Sta Maria de Lebena.jpg
    Sta Maria de Lebena.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 777
The AS-114 from Panes, 27kms north of Potes, passes through Arenas de Cabrales with a turning off to Covadonga about 7kms before Cangas de Onis. This means returning along the Desfiladero de la Hermida between Potes and Panes. It is shorter than the other road route N-621; N-625.

Reb is yours a road route or a GR track? I couldn't make the link work.

I have looked at the info Reb posted (the link opened fine for me, Tia, but it took a while). Having walked the Lebaniego/Vadiniense last summer, the thought of 7 days in the Picos is really appealing, as I can't remember many more beautiful days than the one from Fuent De through the mountains.

But my question is how I could add it on to a "regular" camino. With starting point in Cangas de Onis and end point in Cosgaya, that seems like an east-bound direction. Is the marking as good in the Cosgaya-Cangas direcction? If so I could do something along these lines:

Start in San Vicente/Comillas/Santander and repeat the San Vicente - Cosgaya part of the Lebaniego/VAdiniense, then walk 7 days to Cangas de Onis, and then what?

Any ideas on what is the closest Camino point from Cangas? I suppose the options are Norte, Primitivo, Salvador, Frances. Maybe transportation would be needed?

I know I'm getting ahead of myself, I still have the Levante to walk this spring! Many thanks.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I guess I should have looked at a map before asking for help, sorry. :oops:

Sitting here in a departure lounge with free wi-fi, having the forum lets my mind wander. So, how does this sound:

Start either in Santander/Comillas/San Vicente

Walk to Cosgaya (3-6 days depending on where I start)
Cosgaya to Cangas de Onis -- 7 (the route REb sent looks like it has a one-day circle hike, so a direct route would be a little shorter)

Cangas to Ribadesella -- 1 day, 25 kms (but that would be unpleasant on a National highway) -- looks like there may be an off-road option that would be shorter and more mountainous, but I'll have to check that out.

Ribadesella - Arzua -- 15 days on the Norte

Arzua to Santiago.

Just fun to think about. Laurie

I have never walked that Reconquista route, just heard of it.
I keep seeing red and white GR stripes in the most extraordinary places. Makes me want to explore further the GR network in these mountains.

And that is what airport lounges and wifi are for, dear Laurie!

Yes, but now I'm conflicted -- how can you choose between Caminka's Viejo Camino and this one? I know I've said this a million times, but how can it be that the more Caminos I walk, the more I learn about and want to walk?!

If I weren't committed to the Levante, another one of these mountain routes would be calling, that's for sure. Laurie

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Checking out our GR route from Llanes to Covadonga we found also a site giving a cycle route. This goes along minor roads and avoids the track over the mountain after Mestas. Then you go out to Cangas de Onis etc to rejoin the Norte.
If I can find the link again I'll post it.

Hi, Tia,
I think you're walking in this area this year, so I will eagerly await your report!

So, is my idea totally whacky? To walk from Potes to Cosgaya then get on the route to Covadonga, then Covadonga to Cangas de Onis to Ribadesella and back on the Norte?

Thanks, Laurie

An alternative is the Covadonga to Oviedo section of the GR105, known as the GR 105.1 unless you really want to go back up to Ribadasella. It depends on whether it is marked 'in reverse'.
There is also a route which goes out to Gijón, but we don't know its number. It goes over the tops and is marked form Gijón to Covadonga but we don't know if it is marked in reverse. It goes through Villaviciosa.
Yes we are planning to walk the GR 105.2 section, but time constraints mean we will then have to head for home.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all! Started today from Oviedo to Escamplero. Now I know, why so many people say it's a bit of a challenge to come out of Oviedo. I got lost just once, but was rescued by a very friendly guy. A...
I have been trying to find a way to avoid the circus during the last stages of Frances. In two hours you can take the Lugo - Ourense train and walk the last stages on the Plata. Is it a good idea...
https://www.alojamientoloshospitales.com/albergue I found a link to this place in an old thread, but can't find it on WisePilgrim, the Gronze map or if I search by address. Can someone tell me...
Hi all Heading out for a meal tonight and Pilgrim mass before starting the Primitivo tomorrow. Any recommendations on where to get a great meal in Oviedo?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back