• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Did anyone spend night #1 in HONDARRIBA?

shefollowsshells

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Several alone and with children
I'm getting into Irun pretty early. I have already decided that I am going to officially start in Hendaye that leaves me time to enjoy Irun and I am now considering walking on to Hondarriba that first night. From the little I have read it seems like a spot I would like to visit. There is also a church dedicated to St James. I wondered if anyone did this, or atleast paid it a visit to have an opinion on it.
Thank in advance,
Neve

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I'm getting into Irun pretty early. I have already decided that I am going to officially start in Hendaye that leaves me time to enjoy Irun and I am now considering walking on to Hondarriba that first night. From the little I have read it seems like a spot I would like to visit. There is also a church dedicated to St James. I wondered if anyone did this, or atleast paid it a visit to have an opinion on it.
Thank in advance,
Neve

We walked the Camino del Norte in 2002, starting from Bayonne and following the coast, sometimes on foot, down to Hendaye. As we had previously passed through Irun we took the ferry from Hendaye Plage direct to Hondarrabia and spent the night there. The new town on the shore is not very attractive but that was where we could do our shopping. The old town, on the hill and fortified in the past against the French, is more pleasant. At the time there was no albergue there and I do not know what the position is now, but the Hostal Txoko Goxoa on the ramparts was recommended; there is an albergue in Irun. The next day we had a pleasant walk to San Sebasstian.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, Neve,
When I walked the Camino del Norte I also arrived in Irun early. What I did was take a quick bus over to Hondarribia to visit the old town. It is very touristy and prettified but worth a stroll and a look. Then later I went back to Irun by bus and spent the night in the albergue. I'm glad I was in the albergue that night because many of the people were starting their camino from Irun so there was a lot of energy and excitement. Many bonds began to form during that evening, and the next day's walk into San Sebastián was a beautiful one. I assume you can easily join the Camino leaving from Hondarribia (in fact, I'm pretty certain I've seen a map), which is what laurie described in the above post.

Buen camino, Laurie

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I had thought about doing the same as Laurie suggested above. I might arrive early enough to take a small day trip and then return to Irun for the night. I didn't get to do this the first time. Agreed, being in Irun is great because many other walkers will be there who you would mostly likely see daily along the path.

It seems your Camino is coming along quite well.

Last Sept 2013 I had planned to start from Irun but arrived early and albergues not yet opened. I went to Hondaribia by bus and talking to locals over lunch found a Wonderful albergues close to Hondaribia on pilgrim Trail near bottom of hill before Guadalupe church. It was marvelous..old water mill conferred, super nice ,clean large wooden patio with stream running all under and around ..could not have been better!! Remodel led for 30 pilgrims ..only 5 were there that night. It was sooooo. Much nicer than Hot Irun.. Same price and very comfortable . The other pilgrims were French and well experienced on taking variou Caminos.
Sorry I don't have the name with me now but it was listed as one of the first albergues out of Irun...white plaster two or three story old mill . One of my earliest small miracles on my brief Caminos journey from Irun to bilbao last September.. I spent an extra week near Lekeitio walking and hiking beaches and river trails.
Do yourself a favor and find the old mill!!!!
I am returning for two months on February 28 in 5 weeks. During that time will visit the Caminos trai from Oloron to st Jean Pied de Prt...as my grandfather was born near Oloron and my Basque grandmother in Mendata on Caminos Norte.. Both immigrated to Idaho in 1901.
Sorry Idont have name and phone number but you can locate it.
Bien Caminos..Gabon
John

Last Sept 2013 I had planned to start from Irun but arrived early and albergues not yet opened. I went to Hondaribia by bus and talking to locals over lunch found a Wonderful albergues close to Hondaribia on pilgrim Trail near bottom of hill before Guadalupe church. It was marvelous..old water mill conferred, super nice ,clean large wooden patio with stream running all under and around ..could not have been better!! Remodel led for 30 pilgrims ..only 5 were there that night. Sorry Idont have name and phone number but you can locate it.
Bien Caminos..Gabon
John

http://fr.hostelbookers.com/auberges/espagne/hondarribia/
John, This is the place I am pretty certain,
I was looking at it when I posted.
Wondering if I can recruit the Irun party to go with me :)...I do think the bonds of Irun are important.
Decisions, Decisions...hoping I'll know what to do when the time comes. I agree this place looks precious!
Thank you all as always,

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all! I walked the Le Puy to Roncesvalles route last spring, and now I am thinking of Arles to Compostela on the Norte in the fall. I have many questions. I have downloaded the WP Norte App. I...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back