• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Difficulty Level for Del Norte compared with CF

tominrm

Time of past OR future Camino
Hello,
I just finished Camino France two weeks ago and returned home last week. I am 68 and will retire at the end of this year.

I am already thinking about returning to El Camino, but the question is which one? I like the view of the coastline, but I chose CF for my first camino because I thought it was the "safe" choice for the first timer.
I had Del Norte in mind for my second camino, but I had hard time doing the CF especially the first few days because climbing hills with my backpack was hard.

So the question is, how hard is Del Norte compared with CF? Since I will retire soon, I can take more time to finish the route, but as everyone knows, you just can't stop walking just because you are tired unless you reached a place where you can stay - like an albergue. To show you my ability, I finished the St. Jean Pied de Port to Santiago in 33 days and Finisterre and Muxia in 4 days. I understand there are fewer albergues along Del Norte, meaning I maybe forced to walk more each day.

I think I will prepare myself by walking up and down the stair steps, but is Del Norte much harder than CF? I have seen many seniors on CF, some of them are in their late 70's. How about Del Norte? I would like opinions of those who have done the both routes.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
In my opinion much harder. We have just finished at Oviedo with very sore feet. For me it was the continual walking on asphalt, not to mention the ups and downs. I have now joined the Frances at Leon and totally different feeling.
I would say you need to be very fit and strong.

If you have plenty of time then you can walk short stages. We have walked part of the Norte together and averaged 15kms a day. Terry averaged about 20-25kms a day and his longest was 32kms because he was going well. He started in Santander (ferry port) not Irun; it is that first section which many folk find hard. From Villaviciosa he turned down to Oviedo and the Primitivo.
Buen Camino

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi tominrm,

I walked the Norte in 2 stages from Irun to Ribadesella in 2012 and Ribadesella to Santiago in 2013.
I am the same age as you and not very fit either, it is tougher but not that bad and after Gijon theirs nothing at all, I don't stay in albergues after the CF theirs lots of hotels Pensions and Hostels that don't cost a fortune so you can chose to walk as far as you want every day, I am I Porto tonight waiting to start the Caminho Portuguese da costa tomorrow which I think is completely flat but will find out in the next 12 days, don't worry about the asphalt all those wringers Whinge about it but it's not that bad. Go for it it's far better an experience than the CF

Sent from my iPhone using Camino de Santiago Forum

Hola

It is difficult to estimate another persons physical fitness through words, but since you have finished CF in 33 days, I'd say that you are well fit for a Norte Camino.
Comparing CF with CN I found the CN a bit more demanding.
From Irun to Bilbao, the first week or so, is through woods with much up and down.
If it is wet there can be much mud which makes it even harder, but nature wise it really nice and nothing on CF can be compared with the Basque nature, culture and people.
After Bilbao towards Ribadesella much walking is on paved automobile road.
It is harder on the feet as well as one has to keep attention on traffic. Again unlike any long part of CF.
There are many possibilities to walk along the coast in nature, but these trails will take longer and require much strength.
Personally I have not walked the last part of Norte, as I walked south, at the fork, on Primitivo.
Primitivo is through the mountains, and is by far the most demanding, but again.. who knows how your body feel once you get there.
Prepare for both paths and decide once you get there.

It is true that there are fewer albergues on Norte and that one at times is 'forced' to walk longer, but if the budget allows for occasional hostals all should be fine.
It is the first week that is the hardest on body and lodging wise.

Along the coast runs trains and busses so it is fairly easy to adjust the experience if needed.

Buen camino
Lettinggo

Agree with lettinggo - you've little to be concerned about if you can do SJdP to Santiago in 33 days. Yes, the first week out of Irun has some ups and downs and can be slippy in places in wet weather, but I did come across one guy in his 70s who'd had bypass surgery, just going very slowly uphill. And if you think it's going to concern you, just start from Bilbao instead - no big deal.
I think an important choice is the time of year. There are a few albergues that don't open until April, May or even June and close at the end September. So for instance the staging becomes harder between Bilbao and Castro Urdiales in the months when the Pobena albergue is closed (it opens in May I believe).
In terms of preparation I'd say just get used to walking on roads and have a good think about the type of shoes/boots you are going to take. Old style leather walking boots with a solid sole are not, I'd argue, the best option for the Norte because you are spending so much time pounding the tarmac. My walking shoes for the Norte and Potuguese (from Lisbon) had a kind of air sole and I also have gel insoles. That really worked for me.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I've done both, and I think the Norte's tough reputation is unfair. As others have said, that first week has a lot of climbs but they didn't feel any tougher than anything you'll find on the Frances. I met people of all ages tackling the Norte. One elderly Spanish man was using a bag-carrying service because he couldn't manage the climbs with his pack on his back. Others were haring up the hills, no problem. Your schedule for the Frances is spot on for the kind of fitness level you'll need for the Norte. Have a wonderful Camino, and enjoy the seafood!

Hello,
I just finished Camino France two weeks ago and returned home last week. I am 68 and will retire at the end of this year.

I am already thinking about returning to El Camino, but the question is which one? I like the view of the coastline, but I chose CF for my first camino because I thought it was the "safe" choice for the first timer.
I had Del Norte in mind for my second camino, but I had hard time doing the CF especially the first few days because climbing hills with my backpack was hard.

So the question is, how hard is Del Norte compared with CF? Since I will retire soon, I can take more time to finish the route, but as everyone knows, you just can't stop walking just because you are tired unless you reached a place where you can stay - like an albergue. To show you my ability, I finished the St. Jean Pied de Port to Santiago in 33 days and Finisterre and Muxia in 4 days. I understand there are fewer albergues along Del Norte, meaning I maybe forced to walk more each day.

I think I will prepare myself by walking up and down the stair steps, but is Del Norte much harder than CF? I have seen many seniors on CF, some of them are in their late 70's. How about Del Norte? I would like opinions of those who have done the both routes.

Tominrm:

I have walked both routes and believe the Norte, day in and out, is a bit tougher. There are no huge climbs like the Pyrenees but there are many steep 500meter climbs. The Norte gets a little gentler the further in you get with the last third being the easiest, imo.

A lot depends on how much time you have to walk. I would suggest you start slowly and not walk complete stages. I did not feel there was a shortage of accommodations on the Norte. That said, you will have to stay in some private Albergues and even a hotel on an occasion.

I suggest you read through the Norte threads, Shefollowsshells and I did some posting this year on this subject.

I am also from the Chicago area and if I can be of any assistance, please feel free to contact me jpflavin@msn.com.

There is also a Chicago APOC group if you are interested.

Ultreya,
Joe

Tominrm ,

Start in Bayonne/ Biarritz and walk to San Sebastian VERY, VERY slowly,
Not many start here and take 4 days mate.
You are on a beautiful esplanade and then the hills just before the best seaside village in Spain.
There are short sections so enjoy the villages.

This is where you respect your age .......stay in SS for a few days and enjoy.
Then get the train to Bilbao and enjoy
Then get the train to Castro Urdiales and start walking, the arrow is right outside the exit of the station.

There is roadside walking , but nothing compared to walking into Burgos and Leon.
You will have the E9 to follow along the coast, you will have the beautiful scenery and also the cool breeze.
There are many choices in accommodation and we found this very well priced..............especially compared with the Le Puy GR.

We enjoyed this camino very much and so will you T,
Have a great walk and enjoy good health in your retirement.
David

PS Have lunch as often as you can and i hope you like seafood.
We found the food in Santander the best in Spain [ i'm in trouble now mate]

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Hola

Just read some of other forums members responses to you thread, and I think all give good suggestions.
As Tom stated, the time of year for your walk makes a difference when planning for a Camino Norte.
So. When do you plan to walk?
Also, do look at older threads about Norte. Use the search and write 'Norte August' if you plan to walk August.
You can look at this thread for many good advices during March/April/May;
http://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/norte-in-april-advice-and-stories-welcome.24307/

Oh yes, the Norte is along the coast which is absolutely stunning. Nothing on CF is like it :)

Buen Camino
Lettinggo

Tominrm,
I hiked the Camino del Norte last September through mid October and it was wonderful. I am 60, in fairly decent shape and never encountered a section that troubled me. Although I have not hiked the CF, we did join that route for the last few days. I would estimate that the CF had about ten times as many pilgrims. The bus lines and narrow-gauge rail along the coast are very convenient if needed to stay on a schedule. Each day for me was typically about 15 km but there are sections where some planning is necessary. A decision to press on to 20 km could result in the need to continue to almost 30 km. You will usually find small hotels and guest houses interspersed where there are fewer aubergues. I started in Irun and highly recommend that first 100 km. I found it to include some of the most picturesque coastline.
Buen camino,
Steve

Firstly, well done on your upcoming retirement. What a great way to treat yourself.I would liken the first 7 days on the del Norte as an O' Ceberio type hike every day. Lots of ups and downs. For me the downs were more difficult. Past Santander it's pretty easy

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hello,

I went through the same process. Did the CF last oct. Wanted to do the Norte next and came across several discouraging (tougher) reviews. Well just completed my Norte/primitivo in 33 walking days. So i too didn't find the Norte any more difficult than CF. Only difference is with respect to comfort. Couple of stages on the primitivo were without bar/cafe for breaks. And about three stages where the steep downhill will tire you. You just have to prepare for that. Overall, just do the entire route and be prepared to adjust the distance depending on the difficulty and how you feel on that day. Compared to the CF, it is a stunning walk. Be prepared to scream WoW everyday. You never know what to expect at the next town.
I also had my pack transported by a company which forced me to plan every stage, averaging about 20-25k. So, plenty of alberques and hostels to choose from and when a stage is long, don't feel guilty to skip few kms by taking a bus/train, specially in and out of big towns. Make sure you get Dave's guidebook (The Northern caminos). excellent source for accommodation options. Fyi, I will also post my stages shortly in this forum.

I think AlanB has put it perfectly - the first 7 days from Irun to Bilbao are like the hike up to O'Cebrero each day. After all, the lifts for predestrians to get to the town centres of Deba and Bilbao are not there because the scenery is flat, or the escalator in the middle of the street that takes you up out of Portugalete. The rest of the del Norte is very similar to the Frances in degree of difficulty. Having your pack transported or using personal transport for some sections [ which I am NOT being critical of ] as suggested would of course alter the equation. As for the scenery, for someone who has not seen many coastal vistas, there is much to admire and enjoy.

Alan

Be brave. Life is joyous.

Hello,

my wife and i did the camino del Norte in 34 days. Sept 4 to oct 8 In 2021. First day from irun to san sebastIan is in my opinion the toughest. I am 73. Get past that and you are good to go. Worth the hike vs Frances as not many people and beautiful costal views 80% of the time. We sometimes walked 2 days without seeing any peregrinos just local farmers. Also great cities like San Sebastián, Bilbao, Santander and Gijon. We stayed mostly in pensions and posadas and booked with Booking.com night before for next evening. Never had a problem. also great food. You can send me a PM by using the conversation button if you have any questions. Buen camino.

Note from the mods: This post originally contained the OP’s personal email address. We ask members not to post their email addresses on the forum. Use the PM/Conversation feature to do that. Also, please note that this thread is from 2014. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hello,

The CDN is more difficult than the CF but nothing that can’t be done with schedule changes(shorter stages) built in rest days private rooms for a better night rest and the like.
I will add that it in my opinion is quite unique and shouldn’t be missed. What I mean by that is it seems as you are walking the views are breathtaking as you are either walking into or out of a seaside resort and alternatively a fishing village. I found the variety of foods more plentiful and the number of pilgrims less plentiful.
The infrastructure is there but private accommodation seemed more plentiful. It was my preference 2-3 times per week and some purists found that a little bit snobbish. I found it comfortable and relaxing. Socializing all day and at meal time and bar time was usually enough for me.
I am 70 btw and have been struggling with getting my 10th camino under my belt.
One is not any better than another by any wide margin but there are enough differences to make them unique.

Buen Camino, bom caminho,

Most read last week in this forum

Hi pilgrims , last year i had some spare days and i walked from Irun to Santander , so my plan for this year was to start in Bilbao and walk to Santiago in 24 days . It turned out that i can...
Hi, ive been training for my CDN in two weeks time and thought i'd get some UK coastline under my belt (Scarborough to Robin hoods Bay). I have to say i was just not prepared for the amount for...
hello We plan to walk from Irún to San Sebastián first day in Mid May and looking for feedback on how long it takes. Think we are up to it but will be our first day. Thanks for your thoughts and...
Please, am I mad to contemplate the following combo: Norte: Biarritz-Bayonne-Irun-Santander (via Bayonne to get my legs going) Santander - train to Leon San Salvador - Leon to Oviedo Primitivo -...
I walked the Camino Francés in Octobee 2022, from Villafranca del Bierzo to Santiago de Compostela, and loved it. I would like to walk the Camino del Norte as I'm drawn to the coast, culture and...
What is the most beautiful seven day section on the Camino del Norte? I have a good friend who cannot come with me for the entire walk. She is only available for a week. I start from Irun. She...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.