• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Disappointing arrival in Santiago

biloute

Time of past OR future Camino
Chemin du Puy & Camino Francés (summer 2014), Chemin du Puy & Camino Francés (possible summer 2019)
Today was my final day on the camino and after walking 20 km, I arrived at the cathedral. They closed the doors just as I arrived and the man at the entrance said we would be able to go in at 2:30. 2:30 rolled around and I had moved to the main entrance, which was still closed and the not nice lady said the entrance would be closed another hour, then pointed to a sign that said no bags of any sort are allowed inside. She wouldn't tell me where I could leave my small daypack, which was all I walked with today.

Also, you apparently can't touch the column at the entrance anymore and I was looking forward to doing that. And I somehow missed the giant pilgrim statues at Monte de Gozo as well.

I don't know, maybe it's just because I'm tired and sore, but so far Santiago itself and the cathedral in particular don't seem very pilgrim-friendly to me.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
And I somehow missed the giant pilgrim statues at Monte de Gozo as well.
The statues are not on the camino route. You have to turn left at the entrance kiosk and walk a few hundred meters. You can take a bus to Monte do Gozo if you have time.

Was there in June and we walked into church with our backpacks and staffs. Lot of people climbed the railing and put their fingers into holes in Column on both days we were there.

M<y biggest disappointment was that I completely forgot that I had planned to arrive in front of church, throw my stick into the air, and shout, "I can walk again!"

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I arrived in May and thought that I would have been disappointed if I had not already experienced the delights of Santiago. The main doors to the cathedral were closed because of the renovations. I quickly continued to the doors round the corner where I really expected to be rejected due to my backpack, but the very kind security guard who was positioned just inside the door allowed me in and made room for me on the steps. I arrived just as the pilgrims' mass was ending and just before the botafumeiro began to swing. I was, once again, very moved.

When I arrived in Santiago last year in miserable rain, I didn't feel like discovering what the city had to offer. The next day I walked on towards Finisterre. But when I returned after reaching the coast the weather was clear and bright and I absolutely fell in love with the city during the couple of days before my flight home.

Give the cathedral and the city another chance - I am sure you will think differently with time.

Bye the way, I had a most peculiar last day's walk into Santiago from Padrón on the camino Portuguese. I was sharing the route with countless armed soldiers. Take a look at my blog entry and see how spectacularly I embarrassed myself.

Magwood--any idea how heavy the packs were that the Spanish Soldiers carried? Our local guy from Spain said that when he was in the Spanish Army, they carried 40 kilos to walk the Camino and camped out EVERY night.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi, biloute, congratulations on having completed your camino. I always have a lot of the same feelings you do when I enter Santiago, but I bet that if you scratch the surface a little more you'll see that the ambivalence and deflatedness have little to do with whether you could get into the cathedral right away upon arrival or whether the tree of Jesse was closed off. For me, anyway, those feelings come from ambivalence about being done, and maybe from the realization that I experienced no magical transformation or life-changing epiphany while plodding along on the Camino. As wayfarer says, give it some time, ease into your new "reality", and I bet you will soon be rejoicing for having been so lucky to take all this time to walk your camino. Buen camino, Laurie

p.s. I always find that planning another Camino is a great antidote to the post-Camino blues!

Today was my final day on the camino and after walking 20 km, I arrived at the cathedral. They closed the doors just as I arrived and the man at the entrance said we would be able to go in at 2:30. 2:30 rolled around and I had moved to the main entrance, which was still closed and the not nice lady said the entrance would be closed another hour, then pointed to a sign that said no bags of any sort are allowed inside. She wouldn't tell me where I could leave my small daypack, which was all I walked with today.

Also, you apparently can't touch the column at the entrance anymore and I was looking forward to doing that. And I somehow missed the giant pilgrim statues at Monte de Gozo as well.

I don't know, maybe it's just because I'm tired and sore, but so far Santiago itself and the cathedral in particular don't seem very pilgrim-friendly to me.
I will say that I had a similar experience--a let down after a long journey. I could not hear well during the pilgrims mass so I don't know if my name was mentioned, the mass seemed hurried and so well practiced by the priest that it seemed contrived. After the mass I was scolded by a priest for talking too loud in the cathedral to a fellow pilgrim. After all didn't they know I had just walked 500 miles in 34 days! It was a disappointment and walking the camino is something I may never do again in this life. However, there was more to my walk than just the arrival-- more of it was the actual journey and what takes place during the journey. For help I suggest you read Elliot's poem "Journey of the Magi". This will help you sort things out

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I have twice arrived in Santiago during the Galician Week (early May) celebrations of all things beautiful, folklore and history pertaining to Galicia. Singers and costumed folk dancers in the streets, orchestra on the main drag, music and color everywhere, special and more expensive menus in the restaurants, and thousands and thousands of visitors. The Pilgrims Mass each time was a huge disappointment-probably the worst in which I ever participated, we, a small group of pilgrims, pushed aside to make room for guided tours, tour guides with flags and explanations, entire school bodies arriving en masse and en chatter, the residents of old folks homes pushed in wheelchairs, dreaded tourigrinos, bus load after bus load after bus load and all of them, each and every one relaying the festivities back home on their cellphones for those not present, cameras flashing, loud talk, laughter, comments, and a whole bevy of irate priests attempting to manage order, largely unsuccessfully. It was a disaster each time. Still, I have returned again and again and will do so as long as these tired old legs will bring me there! Try try again.

Arriving in Santiago is anticlimactic after all that has gone on before. I was prepared in June of this year for the west side scaffolding and took the requisite picture anyway.

For me, the cathedral was a magical "thin place" and I spent my most meaningful time in Santiago in the cathedral -- during off hours. Just sitting, reflecting, and being.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Magwood--any idea how heavy the packs were that the Spanish Soldiers carried? Our local guy from Spain said that when he was in the Spanish Army, they carried 40 kilos to walk the Camino and camped out EVERY night.

In their training in the Brecon Beacons, including the climb up Pen y Fan (886 mts), British army guys tote 40 kilos plus their guns and ammunition:eek: No light weight packing for them! All due respect to those "on Camino" carrying this kind of weight when I struggle with less than a fifth of it!!!

Blessings
Tio Tel

I too felt great nothing upon arriving in Santiago. Rainy, very few signs, and I realize I had been a bit spoiled, even in Burgos and Leon, where pilgrims seemed to be more consciously welcomed than in Santiago. And then three mid-twenties little thieves stole my hiking poles. I saw them walking quickly away from where I had leaned the sticks against a stone well, and they were already collapsing the sticks when I shouted, "HEY, those are MINE." And I thought, "I have walked nearly 500 miles in peace and solitude, friendship all around me, and I get to THE PLACE, and the first thing that happens is a theft. and I find myself YELLING to get the sticks returned to me, something I never do. Nice."

I didn't expect trumpets, but I did expect a bit of respect for a pilgrim's poles. I didn't expect a great transformation, but I did hope for a continuation of the calm that surrounded all of us as we walked across the country. I made four visits to the cathedral, so I could finally see the botofumeiro swing, and no one was allowed to bring in their large backpacks. I kept mine at the St. Martin's Seminario Maior, which was the most wonderful thing about my week-long stay in Santiago. I sat in their common room, with a fireplace and a little cafe and Tarte de Santiago bar, and finished writing about my journey.

And yes, I will go again in 2016.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
And you don't even get your last stamp at the cathedral!

The miseries of affordable mass tourism (Camino included), we expect a personalised welcome and we are but just another pilgrim of the +200.000 that will arrive this year (plus the tourists).

I still love Santiago and its cathedral though.

My first arrival was very enjoyable, though filled with schadenfreude. A half-dozen new pilgrims kept pushing ahead of me as we walked, only to make a wrong turn and end up behind me. They were not accustomed to finding the waymarks, which get somewhat hidden toward the end, and I was. It really made my day. The cathedral, Praza Obradoiro, and the Pilgrim Office were spectacular. It was one of the best days of my life.

I arrived on my birthday - and got the only flat tyre of the journey outside the Cathedral AND missed the pilgrims mass cos I was having a root canal done at the dentist....
like others said - try, try again - these things are sent to try us!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

I am really sorry you have had that experience. I have walked the camino (or some part of it) every year for the last 17 years and have usually found arriving in Santiago difficult until I remember that what really matters is the inner journey I have made accompanied by some wonderful acts of kindness from strangers along the way. The Cathedral is only a symbol - chin up!

My first Camino was May of last year. I met wonderful people everywhere I went. When I could see the church spires I was elated. When I reached the church square I felt a sense of accomplishment and surprise. There were Jedi, star troopers, princes Laye's, and dearth vaders all over the square. Quite the spiritual moment :)

I have very much enjoyed the walk itself, despite the sore feet and joints, etc. I think I've figured some things out for what I want to do next in my life and even though I don't know if I'll ever do another Camino, I have been thinking of walking in Ireland. Maybe the Ring of Kerry or Wicklow Way.

Trekker, would you elaborate on the Star Wars sightings?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Congratulations on arriving. I had a very similar feeling of let-down upon arriving July 22, for my own set of reasons that I won't go into.

A few hours after arriving I concluded that for me (I definitely don't want to speak for anyone else), the journey is far more important than the destination.

A few hours after that I realized that without the destination there would have been no journey...

In that moment, my perspective on Santiago was transformed.

Last edited:
For hundreds of kilometers leading to SdC, one spots the churches of each village first. Then at the end, as one approaches SdC, these spires and steeples are...well, they are just not visible until you arrive nearly in front of the cathedral.

This was rather symbolic to me...the visible end to my Camino was hidden; a metaphor suggesting to me and perhaps others that each of us must come to terms with what the walk has meant. Arriving is partly a bittersweet moment because our Camino may be coming to its end. But its meaning for each of us...well, that is the takeaway that will stay with us.

Biloute, congratulations pilgrim, you completed your journey. Your next discovery will be where it was to.

The "not nice" lady on the door probably has a not nice job. Trying to balance the needs and desires of pilgrims, tourists, the local congregation, and the demands of security and personal safety in this troubled age is not a role I would eagerly apply for anymore.

I cried when I got to the cathedral. I thought it was from gratitude, then I thought it was from relief and release from my burdens. As I dried my tears and gazed at that amazing building I realised I had cried because (I thought) I had run out of Camino. So I walked to Muxia and to Fisterra. And now I walk whenever I can. I make pilgrimage to Santiago for the journey not the destination.

Buen (next) Camino

I am pretty sure that I was told the packs weighed 8 kilos - which is pretty much what I was carrying, but I wasn't carrying a heavy rifle and I hadn't been walking, running, swimming and climbing for 125 km with only two hours rest. These guys were amazing, and friendly, and I felt a huge pride on their behalf. The following day there was a parade and ceremony in the square where medals were awarded. I happily stood in the rain applauding before joining them for the pilgrims' mass and the swinging of the botafumeiro ( for the second time in two days) - it was a fabulous finale to my camino Portuguese!
image.jpg image.jpg

I can't wait to get out of the city, I'm here right now, I've gotten porked hard three times so far. Memory card, measley meal and hotel room. Off to camino finisterre in the morning. Hopefully when I come back my attitude will have been adjusted.

Last edited:
Military participation in multi-day walks is not uncommon in Europe, and there are occasionally European servicemen who participate in the International Two Day walk in Canberra. The International Marching League Four Day March at Nijmegen is an example that I know of that has a specific category for servicemen (and women). It requires them to walk 40km on each of the four days with a minimum of 10kg load http://www.4daagse.nl/en/register/distance-rewards.html. There are similar events across Europe and elsewhere.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Asking a soldier why he is carrying HIS rifle on a road march? Good one, Magwood.:cool:
Mark I was suspecting something more sarcastic from you. After all I was at Kent State during the shootings. I am glad to see you back on the Forum. The last time my small crowd saw Steiner was in Carrion. He walked way too fast for the rest of us.
I totally agree with the opinion expressed in this thread regarding the journey to Santiago is more important than the destination. After all it is not supposed to be like arriving at Wallyworld.
The first time arriving in Santiago in 2012 I had been walking for more than a week in steady, cold rain in Galicia and I went to the evening mass and then took the night bus back to San Sebastian like a sick, wet puppy. Smarter and happier from my trek.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi all. I arrived in Santiago on Sunday having walked all day from Ribadiso (40+km). It was overcast all day but when I arrived in Santiago the clouds cleared and the sun shone through. It was an amazing feeling! I went to the cathedral on Monday and Tuesday but it couldn't match the euphoria of getting to Santiago.

Mark I was suspecting something more sarcastic from you. After all I was at Kent State during the shootings. I am glad to see you back on the Forum. The last time my small crowd saw Steiner was in Carrion. He walked way too fast for the rest of us.
I totally agree with the opinion expressed in this thread regarding the journey to Santiago is more important than the destination. After all it is not supposed to be like arriving at Wallyworld.
The first time arriving in Santiago in 2012 I had been walking for more than a week in steady, cold rain in Galicia and I went to the evening mass and then took the night bus back to San Sebastian like a sick, wet puppy. Smarter and happier from my trek.

Hello Don. I'll try harder next time in the sarcasm department. Ha ha.
Yeah, Stein ended up being a week or so behind me as he said he was stopping frequently along the Way. I ended up arriving in Santiago on July 12th, and took the bus to Finisterre. Finisterre was OK, and a quaint seaside town, but in my humble opinion not worth walking to. I suspect Spanish tourism agencies push and sell the notion to walk there. ;)
Thanks again for the bottle of wine you shared with us at the albergue in Ponferrada.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I have to admit that my first arrival in Santiago was cooler than my second time last month. I suppose you can't catch lightning in a bottle twice. It was still pretty cool, though. I walked the last 10 k or so with a young lady who was doing her first Camino. I thought it would be cool to see her reaction upon reaching the cathedral, but she didn't seem all that excited or emotional when we got there. Oh well. To each their own I suppose.

The state of the Cathedral right now, with half of it in scaffolding while they restore, kind of takes away from the grandeur a bit. I thought Santiago was fantastic though. We were there while they were warming up for the Feast of St James, and they had musicians everywhere. We watched a really good blues band, and just about anywhere we went there was street music of some kind playing. The food was also good as opposed to other places I walked on the Camino, and not anymore expensive, except for the seafood meal next to the Cathedral, which I expected. I found cheap accommodation in a pension just a short walk from the Cathedral. The interior of the Cathedral made up for the exterior and the late mass had the butafumeiro.

Last edited:
I was hoping the day of arrival at Santiago would never come as I was enjoying the camino so much and I didn't want to say goodbye to the friends I was walking with so I was disappointed when we arrived and I felt no sense of achievement. To me the place was too touristy (Although I do understand why) and far too expensive; 1 round of drinks cost the 4 of us the same as the whole evening's drinks had the previous night at Pedrouza and we had free tapas at the beginning and a free round of drinks at the end. I didn't fancy the service as it was too busy for my liking but I did look around the cathedral when it was quiet and thought it was beautiful . I couldn't wait to get out of there though and plod on to Finesterre where I did finally feel a small sense of achievement.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I am saddened to see so many negative experiences upon arrival in Santiago... though I do definitely recognize the feelings of letdown, but probably in a different way than many mentioned here. I definitely had a different experience reaching Santiago.... a thread about it here: http://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/reaching-santiago.16127/

I am walking again in a couple months and feel that it definitely will not be the same when I arrive, but it would be hard to replicate- but this time I am planning on continuing on to Finisterre so I am confident that will be accompanied by some crazy emotions and joy. Everything is what we make it!

By the way, the Tree of Jesse has been closed for six or seven years, and there seems to be little prospect of it being reopened for touching. I think they removed the scaffolding/barrier for The Way, since it was closed at the time of filming.

It is my understanding that the Tree of Jesse, located in the Portico of Glory, has been sectioned off for two reasons:

1. Renovations and restoration work needed to be done in the immediate area, making it necessary to block off access to the portico and column; and,

2. While awesome and profound, the hand-shaped indentations made by millions of pilgrims of more than a millennia have actually caused damage to the stone pillar. The oil from so many hands, over so, long a period of time, actually eroded the stone to produce the remarkable imprint we can view today. The conundrum is that, were they to continue to permit this non-religious but cultural practice, the pillar would be further damaged over time.

It seems the Tree of Jesse is a victim of popularity and success. I regret not being able to continue in the very long tradition of placing my hand in the indent and offering a brief prayer of thanks for having arrived, at least twice now.

On the other hand, I fully understand and respect the need to preserve this incredibly important architectural feature and structure component of the Cathedral for all time, It is both priceless and irreplaceable. I am prepared to share that sacrifice with all the others.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
My last day started in Amenal and I planned it carefully because I wanted to make the noon time Mass. Even so, I almost had to ran the last few Kms. I arrived at the side door with 10 minutes to spare. The kind Security Guard let me in with my bag and my stick (neither of which are routinely allowed in since October). It was a Sunday and the church was packed. The Botafumeiro was a great moment. To be honest, I supected the arrival to Santiago was going to be a bit of a convoluted confusion, so I had prepared myself with the thought that the important thing was the journey, was glad to leave let's just say. Truth to be known, I would skip that whole stretch Sarria- Santiago except the stretch Palas dei Rei-Arzua and the final 100 meters to the Cathedral.

I did walked to the statues at Monte de Gozo. I was the only person there. Seriously.

While awesome and profound, the hand-shaped indentations made by millions of pilgrims of more than a millennia have actually caused damage to the stone pillar. The oil from so many hands, over so, long a period of time, actually eroded the stone to produce the remarkable imprint we can view today. The conundrum is that, were they to continue to permit this non-religious but cultural practice, the pillar would be further damaged over time.
How about fund raising at 3E a touch? (For those who don't want a certificate of distance.)

How about fund raising at 3E a touch? (For those who don't want a certificate of distance.)

I cannot disagree that it might raise a lot of money, but if the purpose of the restriction is to preserve the pillar, raising funds implies the pillar is replaceable. I maintain it is not replaceable, as an ancient work of art. However, there is a technical way to have it both ways.

Technicians could make a perfect plaster cast of the hand shaped indent in the Tree of Jesse. From the cast, a perfect replica of the hand can be made. From the hand, a perfect "liner" can be made from some polymer material.

If the hand-shaped liner can be attached to the indent in the Tree of Jesse with a non-corrosive, easily-removable adhesive, and the resin used for the shield was matte, transparent, and ultra-thin, the pilgrims would essentially be using a permanently affixed protective shield, while still being able to feel the column.

I know it sounds like I am designing a half-hand "condom," (eeeuw!) but the parallel is apt. That point granted, I doubt that anyone would put surgical gloves on to touch the indent. But if the indent appeared to be polished stone (actually the über thin liner) it is possible that this would suffice. Also, the shield could be replaced regularly to maintain the "look and feel."

This is the only viable solution I can think of that would still permit touching the Tree of Jesse.

Just thinkin...

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I arrived in early April of this year. I can't remember where I heard it, but someone said you can see the cathedral from the monument at Mount de Gozo. Maybe you can, but I couldn't see it.

I didn't know about the scaffolding so that was a bit of a disappointment. But I've come to appreciate it now. Buildings don't last for centuries without a little upkeep. Now, I consider myself very fortunate to have see the preservation efforts first hand. I hope I go back someday and hear them talking about the restoration work on the audio guide!

I think people have negative impression about Santiago because they realize that their journey is coming to an end. When I was there, I couldn't put my figure on why I was feeling so down. Why wasn't I happy? Why wasn't I jumping for joy? Was it the crowds? Was the city some kind of letdown? Was it the inflated beer prices? No. It was because soon I would be going home. For me, Santiago 4 days of constantly saying good-bye to these incredible people that I walked with, many who I had only know for a few days. And it really was good-bye. These weren't people I had met uptown back home, they didn't live just a few hours away. They were across oceans and continents. No matter how hard we tried, it would never be all of us together again. And no matter how many Caminos I walked, it would never been with all of them. I would meet new people and make new friends, but I would just have to say good-bye to them too. I could have entered through the Portico of Glory. I could have touched the Tree of Jesse. There could have been no tourists at all. I could have swung on the Botafumeiro. I could have opened up the cell under the altar and thrown the lid off that silver casket and seen St. James himself! I could have done all that and more, but it wouldn't have made saying good-bye any easier. It's a lesson of the Camino, one that it's taking me awhile to learn.

I arrived in early April of this year. I can't remember where I heard it, but someone said you can see the cathedral from the monument at Mount de Gozo. Maybe you can, but I couldn't see it.

I didn't know about the scaffolding so that was a bit of a disappointment. But I've come to appreciate it now. Buildings don't last for centuries without a little upkeep. Now, I consider myself very fortunate to have see the preservation efforts first hand. I hope I go back someday and hear them talking about the restoration work on the audio guide!

I think people have negative impression about Santiago because they realize that their journey is coming to an end. When I was there, I couldn't put my figure on why I was feeling so down. Why wasn't I happy? Why wasn't I jumping for joy? Was it the crowds? Was the city some kind of letdown? Was it the inflated beer prices? No. It was because soon I would be going home. For me, Santiago 4 days of constantly saying good-bye to these incredible people that I walked with, many who I had only know for a few days. And it really was good-bye. These weren't people I had met uptown back home, they didn't live just a few hours away. They were across oceans and continents. No matter how hard we tried, it would never be all of us together again. And no matter how many Caminos I walked, it would never been with all of them. I would meet new people and make new friends, but I would just have to say good-bye to them too. I could have entered through the Portico of Glory. I could have touched the Tree of Jesse. There could have been no tourists at all. I could have swung on the Botafumeiro. I could have opened up the cell under the altar and thrown the lid off that silver casket and seen St. James himself! I could have done all that and more, but it wouldn't have made saying good-bye any easier. It's a lesson of the Camino, one that it's taking me awhile to learn.

Yes that's exactly how I felt but now I'm planning my next one I'm looking forward to meeting many more incredible people. it's just a shame more people don't start on the Camino Vasco route though, that may be a bit lonely and I'll have no one to follow when I'm lost, EEEK!

Hello Don. I'll try harder next time in the sarcasm department. Ha ha.
Yeah, Stein ended up being a week or so behind me as he said he was stopping frequently along the Way. I ended up arriving in Santiago on July 12th, and took the bus to Finisterre. Finisterre was OK, and a quaint seaside town, but in my humble opinion not worth walking to. I suspect Spanish tourism agencies push and sell the notion to walk there. ;)
Thanks again for the bottle of wine you shared with us at the albergue in Ponferrada.
I went to Fisterra last year and decided to hang out for 4 or 5 days in Santiago this year and see everything I could. Here is a photo of the usual suspects hanging out on the street of Carrion.DSCN0196.JPG

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I have wondered a few times why pilgrims don't start to touch the next available pillar. OK, not on the Portico but still the first place to be able to reach out to on arrival. ;)

I have walked the camino (or some part of it) every year for the last 17 years !
Michael, I see you have just joined the forum but what a joy to have someone of your experience with us! Welcome. I'm sure your knowledge will be a wonderful resource for everyone here.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I love my journeys. Journeys end has always been an anti climax for me. Whether it be Santiago (three times) or Banyuls sur Mer after walking a traverse of the Pyrénees. Maybe I don't want to "arrive".
Dermot

I love my journeys. Journeys end has always been an anti climax for me. Whether it be Santiago (three times) or Banyuls sur Mer after walking a traverse of the Pyrénees. Maybe I don't want to "arrive".
Dermot
Banyuls sur Mer, one of my favourite places in France after Collioure. I love walking there. :)

Hello,Wayfarer fellow Irish person. France is such an amazing country to walk in, routes well marked, loads of affordable places to stay, good food, good weather, stunning scenery, good people. I have just spent five weeks there (see my blog). I have mentioned before that the St Guilhem pilgrim route is well worth exploring.

Biloute it really sounds like you expected a movie like ending to your Camino. Reading some of the similar comments that follow your original post really makes me wonder why you walked. Good Lord, you got to pray in front of the remains of Saint James!! You had roughly 5 weeks to walk the most popular pilgrimage of our time and have our Lord God with you while you walked.

It's the journey!

People need to understand The Way was a movie.

"A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving." - Lao Tzu

Last edited:
You must walk into Monte do Gozo and go up to the statues, and you can see the cathedral. From the route itself, the first glimpse is just a couple of blocks before the cathedral. You are not the only one who is a bit mislead by the stock photos! Fog is regular enough in Galicia that many do not know they cannot see the cathedral because of terrain and building.

We feel what we feel, not what we would like to feel sometimes. Looking back now I think it was the anticlimax of the journeys end and having to say goodbye to new friends rather than any Damascene moment at the Cathedral square.

€46,-
You must walk into Monte do Gozo and go up to the statues, and you can see the cathedral. From the route itself, the first glimpse is just a couple of blocks before the cathedral. You are not the only one who is a bit mislead by the stock photos! Fog is regular enough in Galicia that many do not know they cannot see the cathedral because of terrain and building.

I didn't see the statues! And it would have been the perfect day for it too! It started off rainy and miserable, but the clouds lifted and it turned into a perfect sunny day!

For me the journey was mine, either walking solo or with my Camino family it was my personal journey, once in Santiago de Compostela, this the destination "we all share" all wanting something from it. I think the wonder is that Santiago de Compostela drew us there to the reputed burial-place of Saint James the Great, and in doing this, gifting us with sometimes life changing experiences, beautiful people, breath taking landscapes, along with the aches & pains, which can only be found along the way. The journey took my breath away...

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles

People were just climbing the railing and reaching out to put their fingers in the holes on both days I was there. I did not do so as I don't go out of my way to disturb any of the Gods. Figured I'd get hit with lightening if I touched the Magic pole.

Fortunately the city grew on me a little, but the rest of the journey was much better. I visited the cathedral this evening and the people still weren't very welcoming, I think mostly because of the tourist pilgrims who started in Sarria. At least that's how many of those only walking a few days seemed to present themselves in their attitude, as there were a lot who didn't even say "buen camino" the last few days. The priest giving the welcome and sermon didn't seem to care much for them, saying something like "and welcome to the ones that started in Sarria and received the paper that is so important to them."

But anyway, I didn't walk for Santiago, rather for the journey and the experience along the way. It just seemed rather deflating in the end without the view of the spires from Monte de Gozo that you should be able to see (at least according to Brierley's guide of which I only brought the maps with a short description of the day's walk, and another pilgrim today said she was looking for them and couldn't see them either), or the at least somewhat warm welcome ever present from the start.

A good night sleep...some good wine and food will make you have a whole new outlook!!! You did it!!!!

I am really sorry you have had that experience. I have walked the camino (or some part of it) every year for the last 17 years and have usually found arriving in Santiago difficult until I remember that what really matters is the inner journey I have made accompanied by some wonderful acts of kindness from strangers along the way. The Cathedral is only a symbol - chin up!

Beautifully worded!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I have very much enjoyed the walk itself, despite the sore feet and joints, etc. I think I've figured some things out for what I want to do next in my life and even though I don't know if I'll ever do another Camino, I have been thinking of walking in Ireland. Maybe the Ring of Kerry or Wicklow Way.

Trekker, would you elaborate on the Star Wars sightings?
May of last year, there was a Star Wars convention in the large building across the square from the church. There were hundreds of people in Star Wars dress. Felt out of place dressed as a dirty smelly but happy pilgrim. . : )

It can be a bit off a mixed bag for me when I arrive in Santiago. Sadness, accomplishment, relief, joy all rolled into one. On the first of my two caminos ( hoping for more ;) I was a bit surprised by the mix of emotions. It's a bit cheesy but I ended just taking some time in the cathedral, just sitting and reviewing all that had happened in the weeks before. I read some of my notes and looked at the pictures I took, thought of all the wonderful people I met, good days and bad. Just a moment to let it soak in and process and journal a bit. I found it helped me sort out my emotions. I did it this last time too and think it will be a tradition for me.

In regards to people climbing over the barrier which seems to happen on a regular basis I'm a wee bit surprised they don't have a guard there.

Whilst I can appreciate your disappointment - there have been a number of post over the past 6-9 months about restrictions on taking backpacks into the cathedral. As to why it was closed I really cannot comment. When I was there back in June 2013 we could not embrace St James either - he was being renovated. Cheers.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I can understand some pilgrims disappointment .. But two things spring to mind .... Walking the long distance as a pilgrim to get to Santiago does not bestow any entitlement ... Also it is the journey NOT the destination that brings the most Grace

This is exactly right. A pilgrim who flies first class into Santiago, takes a limo to their suite at the Parador, and eats at the best restaurants is no less a pilgrim than one who walked 2000 miles barefoot, slept on the side of the road, and wore sackcloth the whole way.

One lesson the Camino has taught me is to separate my walk through Spain from my pilgrimage. The walk was traveled with my feet and was for me. The pilgrimage was traveled with my soul and was done for God and St. James. The walk got me a free audio guide at the cathedral in Leon and a piece of paper in a language I can't read. The pilgrimage brought me closer to the Almighty. I could only have walked through Spain in Spain. But the pilgrimage, I could have taken that without ever leaving my home.

Please don't look down your nose at the "tourist." Who are we to judge who is a pilgrim and a tourist?

Last edited:

Biloute:

I recommend you go find some of the Pilgrims you met along the way. Have a nice dinner and enjoy some of that fermented fruit.

Ultreya,
Joe

Using the same molding technique, a carving could be made of the current handprint in a marble piece that could be mounted in front of the tree in which pilgrims could place their hands. Alongside could be a multi-lingual explanation of the historic nature of the Tree of Jesse, the damage caused by millions of pilgrims over the millennia. If you're going to have to place your hand on a plastic insert, what's the difference. It is the idea, not the actuality ... like the arrival at the Cathedral at the end of the Camino.

Last edited by a moderator:
Using the same molding technique, a carving could be made of the current handprint in a marble piece that could be mounted in front of the tree in which pilgrims could place their hands. Alongside could be a multi-lingual explanation of the historic nature of the Tree of Jesse, the damage caused by millions of pilgrims over the millennia. If you're going to have to place your hand on a plastic insert, what's the difference. It is the idea, not the actuality ... like the arrival at the Cathedral at the end of the Camino.

I've posted this a couple times, but I'll post it again because I really think it's a great idea and I have so few of those! What they need to do is commission a modern day master carver create a new pillar. The old one could be removed and placed in a place of honor somewhere in the cathedral. Pilgrims could then touch this new pillar. And once it became worn, it could be placed next to the old one, and a new pillar installed.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've posted this a couple times, but I'll post it again because I really think it's a great idea and I have so few of those! What they need to do is commission a modern day master carver create a new pillar. The old one could be removed and placed in a place of honor somewhere in the cathedral. Pilgrims could then touch this new pillar. And once it became worn, it could be placed next to the old one, and a new pillar installed.

A mold could be taken of the section of the pillar that bears the handprint -- without causing any damage or alteration to the pillar or existing handprint.

The mold could then be used to cast a copy of the pillar section/handprint using a mixture of stone dust and resin to imitate the tactile qualities of the existing handprint (e.g., texture and heat conductivity).

Cost? Probably less than the fees to swing the botafumeiro everyday for a week or two.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Biloute, congratulations pilgrim, you completed your journey. Your next discovery will be where it was to.

The "not nice" lady on the door probably has a not nice job. Trying to balance the needs and desires of pilgrims, tourists, the local congregation, and the demands of security and personal safety in this troubled age is not a role I would eagerly apply for anymore.

I cried when I got to the cathedral. I thought it was from gratitude, then I thought it was from relief and release from my burdens. As I dried my tears and gazed at that amazing building I realised I had cried because (I thought) I had run out of Camino. So I walked to Muxia and to Fisterra. And now I walk whenever I can. I make pilgrimage to Santiago for the journey not the destination.

Buen (next) Camino
Three times since 2012 I have wiped the tears away standing in the plaza staring at the cathedral after arriving in Santiago. Was it relief or gratitude? God only knows.
I was fortunate enough this year to get to see the Botafumeiro swing twice at 10 and noon on Sunday, I still tear up when I relive the day!!!

I can understand some pilgrims disappointment .. But two things spring to mind .... Walking the long distance as a pilgrim to get to Santiago does not bestow any entitlement ... Also it is the journey NOT the destination that brings the most Grace

Preparing for my camino has been a process. During this process, I've thought long and hard about WHY I'm doing it and the difference between being a pilgrim and a tourist.

I mean, I've travelled to Spain before--Barcelona many times-- one of my favorite cities. I've stayed in nice hotel rooms, walked around experiencing the culture and the history, visited churches, met wonderful people, ate great food, drank super, earthy wines. All these things made me a typical tourist.

So, what's different about the Camino?

For me, the camino represents something different. It's an opportunity to simultaneously exercise my mind, body & spirit. An opportunity to re-connect with my core, my soul and renew my relationship with God.

To do that I need to live simply-- no expensive hotels, no room service, no creature comforts-- just carrying what I NEED, not what I DESIRE. To do that I need time alone, walking many miles, time for self-reflection. To do that I need to interact with people who are very different from me, some not as fortunate and learn lessons from them. To do that I need to experience obstacles and overcome them (both physical and mental) and to help others (when I can) overcome their obstacles.

All of this is what my camino means to me and why I will be a pilgrim and not a simply a tourist.

Buen camino to all.

Joe,

Yours are beautiful and sincere thoughts in the tradition of these wise and timeless sayings of Buddha.

"No one saves us but ourselves. No one can and no one may. We ourselves must walk the path."
“The secret of health for both mind and body is not to mourn for the past, nor to worry about the future, but to live the present moment wisely and earnestly.”
“Set your heart on doing good. Do it over and over again, and you will be filled with joy.”

On my caminos I have experienced the joy of serendipity and relearned the importance of personal tenacity and endurance. Most importantly I have sensed the necessity for sincerity in all human interactions and have been privileged to experience the overwhelming power of true caritas, that special spirit of unconditional selfless love towards others as offered by some to many along the way....May we all be so caring and generous.

Margaret Meredith

An idea which may help:

I knew the arrival would be no big deal for me, and it wasn't. I'm more than happy to be defined as half a tourist, and the achievement or goal aspect isn't very strong for me. I wouldn't have complained if I had not received a compostela on the grounds of missed stamps or whatever. Santiago was only ever going to be an interesting town.

However, when applying for my compostela I noticed that there were excited people arriving in the crowded pilgrim office and that the staff were far too busy to do much greeting and congratulating. So I walked about and congratulated pilgs for a bit, asked them how far they'd come and so on. I got off on them getting off, if you know what I mean.

If the city is not somehow responding to what pilgrims are feeling, maybe the pilgrims can make an atmosphere for each other? It's pretty easy to walk up to new arrivals and give them a great big boost. The guy in the office or the restaurant might just be having a down-day, while already-arrived pilgs are in a better position to know what an arriving pilg is thinking. Since most of us have the time and leisure at that point...why not? (Just don't congratulate me too hard. Remember, I'm a dawdling demi-tourist.)

I noticed that there were excited people arriving in the crowded pilgrim office and that the staff were far too busy to do much greeting and congratulating. So I walked about and congratulated pilgs for a bit, asked them how far they'd come and so on. I got off on them getting off, if you know what I mean.
Yesterday, the Pilgrim Office processed about 3 1/2 pilgrims per minute. There is not a lot of time for hand holding!! They have volunteer greeters now, and they do a very good job of greeting pilgrims in a number of languages. I am a bit stunned that arriving pilgrims do not feel that the Pilgrim Office is being supportive. To me it is more about pilgrim expectations than office performance. Show up in the middle of January, and you can have the office to yourself, and schmooze all you want with the volunteers. Show up in the busy season, and you can expect efficient processing and very little extra.;)

Yesterday, the Pilgrim Office processed about 3 1/2 pilgrims per minute. There is not a lot of time for hand holding!! They have volunteer greeters now, and they do a very good job of greeting pilgrims in a number of languages. I am a bit stunned that arriving pilgrims do not feel that the Pilgrim Office is being supportive. To me it is more about pilgrim expectations than office performance. Show up in the middle of January, and you can have the office to yourself, and schmooze all you want with the volunteers. Show up in the busy season, and you can expect efficient processing and very little extra.;)

Actually I found the greeter at the pilgrim's office to be really nice. He was English. I told him I was half English and we got into a conversation about a walk from Gloucestershire to London along the Thames. I'm excited as this is my mom's home. Looking forward to that camino one day. Now I just need to convince my wife.

One of the greatest pleasures of walking the Camino is walking it with your wife . I know, we´ve walked it 4 times so far and plan to walk it even more.

Ondo Ibili !

Oh mine wouldn't be walking. She would be shopping and meeting me at the next town. :)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Yesterday, the Pilgrim Office processed about 3 1/2 pilgrims per minute. There is not a lot of time for hand holding!! They have volunteer greeters now, and they do a very good job of greeting pilgrims in a number of languages. I am a bit stunned that arriving pilgrims do not feel that the Pilgrim Office is being supportive. To me it is more about pilgrim expectations than office performance.
It's mind boggling how the staff could even process ONE Pilgrim per minute, let alone 3 1/2!
Kudos to all the staff! Anne
PS. I've worked in the office, I've done it!

Today was my final day on the camino and after walking 20 km, I arrived at the cathedral. They closed the doors just as I arrived and the man at the entrance said we would be able to go in at 2:30. 2:30 rolled around and I had moved to the main entrance, which

Last Thursday when I went to the Franciscan Church for my second credential (a special issue due to the 800th anniversary) I was told about an evening meditation for peace at 7.00pm. I went along that evening and it was quite profound. So if you find arrival at the cathedral disappoints, head over to the Franciscan church.

Someone told me about that, but I decided to see the botafumeiro instead. If I had more time in Santiago, I would have gone.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

One of the things that has stuck with me is hearing someone say, 'We don't walk the camino, it walks us.' I think there is something in that.

Hi, biloute, congratulations on having completed your camino. I always have a lot of the same feelings you do when I enter Santiago, but I bet that if you scratch the surface a little more you'll see that the ambivalence and deflatedness have little to do with whether you could get into the cathedral right away upon arrival or whether the tree of Jesse was closed off. For me, anyway, those feelings come from ambivalence about being done, and maybe from the realization that I experienced no magical transformation or life-changing epiphany while plodding along on the Camino. As wayfarer says, give it some time, ease into your new "reality", and I bet you will soon be rejoicing for having been so lucky to take all this time to walk your camino. Buen camino, Laurie

p.s. I always find that planning another Camino is a great antidote to the post-Camino blues!
Oh that is lovely advice.

Love that Compestela! For me, it is an acknowledgement by my church that I have come to revere the remains of Saint James, and I have done so while completing this particular pilgrimage. It is the person of Saint James, my spiritual ancestor, who walked with Jesus Christ, I am paying my respects to and so I am walking with him. The Compestela is a wonderful way to document this faith journey.

Last edited:
I arrived on my birthday - and got the only flat tyre of the journey outside the Cathedral AND missed the pilgrims mass cos I was having a root canal done at the dentist....
like others said - try, try again - these things are sent to try us!
Robert the Bruce, supposedly. If at first you don´t succeed,then try,try and try again.

I went to Fisterra last year and decided to hang out for 4 or 5 days in Santiago this year and see everything I could. Here is a photo of the usual suspects hanging out on the street of Carrion.View attachment 12205
DON-- I wondered about you many times after meeting you by coincidence at O'Biduedo and later on at Triacastela. I am posting the picture you took of me at the Ermita de San pedro! BTW, you may have noticed my right eye was swollen up and that I was wearing long sleeves on a relatively hot day. I was having a very strong allergic reaction to mosquito tigers bites (a mosquito species that was alive and well at San Martin del Camino- Albergue Santa Ana). You were such a gentleman didn't comment even though it was so obvious! :) Hope you are doing well and it was such a pleasure to meet you. Below is the picture you took!! THANK YOU!!!!
1560373_10152593891048948_1327168889916577974_n.jpg

DON-- You were such a gentleman didn't comment even though it was so obvious!
There are many who would take issue with your compliment but thank you very much.
Actually our first meeting was a few kilometres earlier at that sketchy little fountain next to the chapel where pilgrims are able to ring the bell in the steeple. You asked me if the water was potable and my response was other people are drinking it, but I'm not!
I hope your Camino was successful and you met your husband on time.

DON-- if you know I mean it as a compliment, that's all I care! :). Now that you mentioned it, you are right about the fountain across the street to the chapel, I remembered now. Yes, my husband arrived when I was still by Arzua so he was actually able to see me coming into Santiago days later. His wheelchair prevented him from walking with me those last days but did not kept him from the last 100 meters! I hope your foot situation improved with rest. I was very glad to see your the picture in Santiago. What an amazing, amazing journey the Camino really is. WOW!!

I understand the disapointment. I arrived one year ago in august. Pilgrim friends advised me to walk further to Finisterre (with still tourists) and to continue to Muxia. In this nice fishertown I finished and stayed for a week. The waves of the ocean, the rocks, helped me to realise that this was really the end of my way. Travelling home was very strange, after following my feet for months. And it took me another year to walk back into my life. But it changed me.
I was already prepared on the fact that Santiago whould be full of tourists and did not expect much. But still I felt disappointed by the photo flashes and lack of respect for silence.
I found my silent holy moments on other places, but to my surprise also in one of the little chapels in the cathedral, where a Italian group was singing Taizé songs and creating a place for silence and prayer.
Santiago was still a great place to meet many pilgrims again. But not a good place to end.
Everybody is walking the camino on its own way, with other reasons.
But it can help next time to walk on to Muxia and find more peace standing at the Ocean.
That 'end' fits more to all the remarkable experiences on your way.

Or that's such a shame did you walk all the way from SJ Not that makes any difference at all how far you have walked .the point is you have made the effort to visit it

An idea which may help:

I knew the arrival would be no big deal for me, and it wasn't. I'm more than happy to be defined as half a tourist, and the achievement or goal aspect isn't very strong for me. I wouldn't have complained if I had not received a compostela on the grounds of missed stamps or whatever. Santiago was only ever going to be an interesting town.

However, when applying for my compostela I noticed that there were excited people arriving in the crowded pilgrim office and that the staff were far too busy to do much greeting and congratulating. So I walked about and congratulated pilgs for a bit, asked them how far they'd come and so on. I got off on them getting off, if you know what I mean.

If the city is not somehow responding to what pilgrims are feeling, maybe the pilgrims can make an atmosphere for each other? It's pretty easy to walk up to new arrivals and give them a great big boost. The guy in the office or the restaurant might just be having a down-day, while already-arrived pilgs are in a better position to know what an arriving pilg is thinking. Since most of us have the time and leisure at that point...why not? (Just don't congratulate me too hard. Remember, I'm a dawdling demi-tourist.)
i would love to meet someone like you in santiago,,First time we {dad sis and i }travelled we were wandering up to the pilgrims office and a swiss guy we had bumped into a couple of times came rushing over to us saying he wanted to line up with people he knew :) and would we mind if he got in line with us ,,funny and nice..but to cut a long story short i like your idea of a few kind words and a few well dones could mean the world to someone.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

I felt like so many other people that walk into Santiago. It felt so anti climatic compared to our experiences. The feeling that your journey has come to an end and it is time to start your journey home. Home is where we live and where we will continue our lives. Yes, our journey ends in Santiago, but not really.
Buen Camino

I lived in Honduras '65-'67 as a USA Peace Corps Volunteer and my wife was from Nicaragua(RIP....Rosa). As a former card carrying Roman Catholic I did not walk the Camino Frances in Sept-Oct '12 for religious reasons. I hoped to find common threads between Latin America and Spain....and I did!!!!!! But not in the cathedral. It was all about the people. Their culture, life style, language, love of life, music and warmth. Most people don't care that we did the Camino except to say, "you walked how far?????". What were our expectations when we started, how did they change along the route and how will we share our experience back home? Two years after having my wife Rosa' name added to my Compostela in the pilgrim office those questions are still fresh in my mind. I hope to start the VdlP in Sevilla on or about Sept 12th.

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
HI all, I will be starting my walk on March 31, taking the Valcarlos Route, and am having trouble getting in touch with the albergue in Valcarlos (tried email and what's app - no luck!). Does...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back