• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Do I go solo?

Leanne

Time of past OR future Camino
First timer! May 2014
Hi everyone, I just needed a bit of advice.
I was planning on doing the camino Frances alone when a friend told me how amazing it was, when my boyfriend a fellow walker like me heard about it we decided to go together as a first getaway together, as neither of us like the beach resort type of getaway.
Now we have just broken up I'm not sure whether it would be healthy to go alone and thinking he should be with me, the flights are booked. Flying to Paris with a nights stopover then flying down to Biarritz and from their to St Jean to begin.
I will/was meant to be going on the 8th May, I know it would be a great experience but I just don't want to be walking alone and sad in a beautiful place! I especially don't want to be in the city of love alone so if I do go I might buy a flight straight to Biarritz even though they are quite expensive.
Just wondering if May is busy so I can meet people or just any advice in general as I am very undecided!

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi Leanne

you are the best judge of how you will be feeling but my instinct on this is to just GO! What better distraction than to explore a new country on foot and meet new and interesting people along the way.

My suggestion is that you mark your departure date on the calendar and see who else is going around that time. Maybe connect with them here on the forum...

Regardless of that you WILL meet LOADS of lovely people en route.... many if not most people are travelling alone like you.

When I did my camino in Sept 2012 we set up a thread for those leaving that month (I think it may have been on the other english forum) and ended up all booking into the same hostel in St Jean - the fast walkers walked together the next day and the slower paced walkers (including me!) walked together.... It worked out amazingly well and even though we made other friends and walked with different people en route at different stages after that it was reassuring to have made that initial arrangement before we left for the camino...

I didn't walk in May but it is a very popular month as far as I know so it won't be a lonely road :)

Hi, Leanne,

Welcome to the forum.

I just saw your post as I was getting ready to sign off, and thought I'd start what's likely to be a long and loud chorus . I think most of us who have walked the Francés will encourage you to strike out alone, don´t be afraid, you are never alone on the Camino unless you want to be. You will be fine and you will have lots of time to think things through, deal with the sad, and enjoy all the good things you will experience.

May is a busy month, so there will be plenty of companionship, and you will probably find that within the first few days you have become part of a Camino Family. Even people who have walked more than a dozen caminos like me always get the jitters right before starting out. So that anxious nervousness is likely not to go away, but you would probably have it even if you were still planning to walk with your ex.

Many people walking on the Camino are dealing with sadness and grief, many are celebrating happy events, many are on a religious pilgrimage, many are just there because it seems like a good thing to do, but what we all have in common after a few days of walking is that we are all just profoundly grateful to be alive and to be able to walk the Camino. So, I echo irishgurrl´s advice -- go for it! Buen camino, Laurie

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I was planning on doing the camino Frances alone when a friend told me how amazing it was, when my boyfriend a fellow walker like me heard about it we decided to go together as a first getaway together, as neither of us like the beach resort type of getaway.
Now we have just broken up I'm not sure whether it would be healthy to go alone and thinking he should be with me, the flights are booked. Flying to Paris with a nights stopover then flying down to Biarritz and from their to St James to begin.
I will/was meant to be going on the 8th May, I know it would be a great experience but I just don't want to be walking alone and sad in a beautiful place! I especially don't want to be in the city of love alone so if I do go I might buy a flight straight to Biarritz even though they are quite expensive.
Just wondering if May is busy so I can meet people or just any advice in general as I am very undecided!

Hello Leanne,
Firstly your friend was right on the button......it really is amazing. Secondly your boyfriend will miss out on two counts, you and the Camino. Get on that plane but it is Biarritz to St Jean Pied de Port not St James. Yes it will be fairly busy, and you will not be walking alone unless you want to.
Make sure you book into one of the albergues in SJPDP before you arrive, just for peace of mind you have a bed for the night. You could try L'ESPRIT DE CHEMIN right opposite the pilgrims office in SJPDP.
GET ON THAT PLANE ENJOY HAVE FUN......................." In Northern Spain there is a walk of 500 miles that may well change your life "

Buen Camino Keith.

Hi Leanne

you are the best judge of how you will be feeling but my instinct on this is to just GO! What better distraction than to explore a new country on foot and meet new and interesting people along the way.

My suggestion is that you mark your departure date on the calendar and see who else is going around that time. Maybe connect with them here on the forum...

Regardless of that you WILL meet LOADS of lovely people en route.... many if not most people are travelling alone like you.

When I did my camino in Sept 2012 we set up a thread for those leaving that month (I think it may have been on the other english forum) and ended up all booking into the same hostel in St Jean - the fast walkers walked together the next day and the slower paced walkers (including me!) walked together.... It worked out amazingly well and even though we made other friends and walked with different people en route at different stages after that it was reassuring to have made that initial arrangement before we left for the camino...

I didn't walk in May but it is a very popular month as far as I know so it won't be a lonely road :)

Thank you for the advice irish! I suppose I'm just a bit scared that I'll be alone and may not find anywhere to sleep and I guess I was gonna be 'looked after' so to speak if my bf was going. My friend always said I shouldnt be taking him along anyway as its better alone! I will post on the calender when I have made my decision :) xx

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hello Leanne,
Firstly your friend was right on the button......it really is amazing. Secondly your boyfriend will miss out on two counts, you and the Camino. Get on that plane but it is Biarritz to St Jean Pied de Port not St James. Yes it will be fairly busy, and you will not be walking alone unless you want to.
Make sure you book into one of the albergues in SJPDP before you arrive, just for peace of mind you have a bed for the night. You could try L'ESPRIT DE CHEMIN right opposite the pilgrims office in SJPDP.
GET ON THAT PLANE ENJOY HAVE FUN......................." In Northern Spain there is a walk of 500 miles that may well change your life "

Buen Camino Keith.

Woops thanks for correcting me, I have done my research....honest! I suppose the upside of going alone is that I will be able to do the whole thing instead of just two weeks due to my exes work commitments.
Thankyou for the advice Keith, also I have looked at Chemin and its fully booked up for when I would be going!
Xx

Hi, Leanne,

Welcome to the forum.

I just saw your post as I was getting ready to sign off, and thought I'd start what's likely to be a long and loud chorus . I think most of us who have walked the Francés will encourage you to strike out alone, don´t be afraid, you are never alone on the Camino unless you want to be. You will be fine and you will have lots of time to think things through, deal with the sad, and enjoy all the good things you will experience.

May is a busy month, so there will be plenty of companionship, and you will probably find that within the first few days you have become part of a Camino Family. Even people who have walked more than a dozen caminos like me always get the jitters right before starting out. So that anxious nervousness is likely not to go away, but you would probably have it even if you were still planning to walk with your ex.

Many people walking on the Camino are dealing with sadness and grief, many are celebrating happy events, many are on a religious pilgrimage, many are just there because it seems like a good thing to do, but what we all have in common after a few days of walking is that we are all just profoundly grateful to be alive and to be able to walk the Camino. So, I echo irishgurrl´s advice -- go for it! Buen camino, Laurie

I hope if I go I meet people as nice as you :) thanks or the words of wisdom. Xx

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I maybe not a right person to give you an advise, since we are going to our first Camino ourselves, but I wanted to add my two cents anyway. I would say go, enjoy and don't look back. First, my feeling is Camino will make you sadness go away pretty fast. Second, I think it should be incredible experience to be able to walk alone. I am walking with my dear husband, but even though we both really looking forward for this experience together, I am thinking that I would want to walk alone at least one day, to be just with myself, to quiet my mind, to solitude.
You are going to civilized country, don't worry. You will be able to find place to sleep and food, and it will reassure you that you don't need a bf to take care of you, you can do it yourself. Even though we all want it, to have a shoulder to lean on, somebody to take care of us and make a decisions for us, this walk will sure get your self esteem up and it will make you feel way better. Buen Camino!

Just go and do it. You will love it and it is an amazing experience. You will meet so many fellow peregrinos also travelling alone, as it can be a very personal experience. You will make new friends along the way and it is a very healthy journey, both physically and emotionally.
Any questions about the best way to get to SJPDP from Paris can be easily answered on this forum. A lot of helpful people here.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Now we have just broken up I'm not sure whether it would be healthy to go alone and thinking he should be with me, the flights are booked. Flying to Paris with a nights stopover then flying down to Biarritz and from their to St Jean to begin.
There is no place along THE WAY where you will be alone go enjoy,Buen Camino

I was planning on doing the camino Frances . . . with my boyfriend . . . now we have just broken up I'm not sure whether it would be healthy to go alone . . .

First off, you are never "alone" on the Camino. There will be approximately 200 people within 10 kilometers of you in either direction. It is not uncommon for a people to form Camino "families" after a few days. These tend to be people walking at about the same pace as you. These families often consist of 5 or 6 people with English as a common form of communication. You don't necessary walk with these people, but you often spend the night in the same albergue and usually have dinner together.

I found walking by myself but spending dinner with my Camino family a great balance to the day.

Last edited:
I guess I don't have much to add as everyone has already said it.

I'd walked in late April/May. Even in 2006 it was busy. The bright spring flowers and poppies will cheer you up.

You will have no time to be sad. First with the logistic of getting to SJPDP. Then every day with the walking and absorbing the views and experience. Your first Camino family will be with you for life (clear example is I will be visiting one of mine in Italy next week).

Buen Camino!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Re not wanting to stay in the 'city of love' alone, it's just one night and there's so much to do in Paris. If rebooking a flight straight to Biarritz is expensive, as you say, then stick with your current plan and just take some time to acclimatise to France. Sip a coffee, taste a macaroon, see some of the world's greatest art collections and walk up to Montmartre at sundown. Or just go shopping, or up the Eiffel Tower. It's definitely not compulsory to be in love in Paris!

Leeanne
From me too. Go go go
Accept the welcome you'll receive from other pilgrims at the start. You're all at the beginning at the same time and will always have that common bond , though you may stop further on and meet so many more pilgrims/ families. Friends (people you may have only met once) will continue to pop out of the woodwork all the way and you'll get a big smile to see them again.

Paris sights will keep u busy for a day and give you time to settle So much to walk about and drink in

Others have mentioned the spring flowers and poppies. You're in for a treat

You'll never know if you don't go!

Don't be sad at home wondering where you would have been on any day in May.
A better day is dawning. Verdad!
Annie

Hola Leanne,

I think it's brilliant you're intending to go in May! There's quite a few people walking in May if you look at the Events Calendar
You won't be the only one arriving alone to start your Camino, I'm heading out there on my own to walk my first Camino and I know there's heaps more people also walking 'solo' but from all that I've read and learned from this wonderful forum... you're in for a real adventure and you'll make new and interesting friends.
I think stepping out into the unknown and letting yourself experience all the wonders out there in this beautiful world outweighs staying home and not having a great adventure!

You'll be right, and even if you shed tears along the way for whatever reason... maybe it's all part of your cleansing and healing journey clearing things up in your path for even better things ahead.
I have often read or have heard people tell me not to walk with any expectations... I pondered on it for a while and it made quite a bit of sense so I've really embraced this 'walking with no expectations but ready to embrace good and bad experiences and learning from it all'

I set off from SJPDP May 16 so if you see me along the way, say g'day! I'm always up for a yarn :)

Cheers,
Marie

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I couldn't recount to you all the grieving people I met on just a 300km stretch two years ago.....but here are two particularly memorable ones....the Dutch man whose 20+ year marriage had disintegrated so he walked away from Amsterdam and was nearing Santiago when he passed us, and Mercedes who we met just out of Rabanal taking a phone call on the hill (later her brother would tell us that phone call was to tell her of the death of a close family member). Walking provided some healing for both of them. I wish you all the best.

Leanne, hope you decide to start, then we´ll meet :)
I will walk from St Jean on 8th May

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hi Leanne,

You'll be just fine! You are about to embark in an adventure of a lifetime! Think about that. You'll be so occupied with daily challenges and meeting new people and Im sure that's whats going to occupy your troubled mind.

I arrive at SJPP on May 8th to start my camino on the 9th. Message me if you'd like to chat about preparations, gear or anything else for that matter. :)

Mario

"When you walk through a storm
Keep your chin up high
And don't be afraid of the dark.
At the end of the storm
Is a golden sky
And the sweet silver song of a lark.

Walk on through the wind,
Walk on through the rain,
Tho' your dreams be tossed and blown.Walk on, walk on
With hope in your heart
And you'll never walk alone,
You'll never walk alone."

These timeless lyrics by Oscar Hammerstein sung to music by Richard Rodgers were written for the 1945 American musical Carousel. In the 1960s the song was adapted and adopted by fans of the Liverpool Football Club.

For all of us who need hope they continue to offer poignant encouragement.

Margaret Meredith

Last edited:
"When you walk through a storm
Keep your chin up high
And don't be afraid of the dark.
At the end of the storm
Is a golden sky
And the sweet silver song of a lark.

Walk on through the wind,
Walk on through the rain,
Tho' your dreams be tossed and blown.Walk on, walk on
With hope in your heart
And you'll never walk alone,
You'll never walk alone."

These timeless lyrics by Oscar Hammerstein sung to music by Richard Rodgers were written for the 1945 American musical Carousel. In the 1960s the song was adapted and adopted by fans of the Liverpool Football Club.

For all of us who need hope they continue to offer poignant encouragement.

Margaret Meredith

Hello MM,
You may not fully realise how poignant you comments are today.................The first day here in the UK into yet another inquiry into the deaths of 96 football fans at Sheffield.

R.I.P. x 96

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Thank you for the advice irish! I suppose I'm just a bit scared that I'll be alone and may not find anywhere to sleep and I guess I was gonna be 'looked after' so to speak if my bf was going. My friend always said I shouldnt be taking him along anyway as its better alone! I will post on the calender when I have made my decision :) xx

If anything can indicate the wonderful spirit of the camino it is all these amazing responses. Such kindness is typical on the camino.... You will not be alone on the camino unless you decide you want to be. :)

As for the change of plans from being "looked after" to having to look after yourself, each day is so simple (walk, eat, sleep... repeat) and yet very rewarding. I too was very nervous about possibly having to walk alone but like everyone who has done this route, there was absolutely no need to worry. Everyone looks out for and looks after each other.

As others have suggested and assuming you choose to go (seriously you'd be mad not to), I strongly recommend you book your first night's accommodation in St Jean PdeP as soon as you decide - I stayed in the L'Esprit du Chemin and it was really lovely - its a popular choice on this forum and directly opposite the Pilgrim Passport Office... but if that's booked out there are loads of other lovely options. Some of the nicer hostels do tend to book out in advance so might be worth deciding sooner rather than later :)

Best of luck though no matter what you decide :) If it is meant to be it will happen xxx

Hi Leanne,
I am arriving May 8th in Pamplona from Seattle wa. I am just recently divorced, and I cant think of anything better than to get away from what I would consider the norm, and experience something new. Hope to cross your path on the camino.

I whole heartily concur with all above – GO! It was and is an invaluable resource of inner peace for me. Additionally, you’ll find many likeminded people along the way, and I have no doubt that you will enjoy this journey tremendously. Cheers, and Buen Camino

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Actually, you may discover some pilgrims that, when you start talking to them on the Camino, after a while say politely "Excuse me, but you are walking too fast, it was a pleasure to meet you, will see you at the albergue", or a similar thing. Walking solo a couple of days, being alone with feelings and memories may be, sometimes, a good thing.
Having said that, I really appreciate and enjoy the "social side" of the Camino. Contrary to what usually happens in daily life, (almost) everybody has time to talk, and is open to know new people and share experiences.
Buen camino!

Last edited:
One thing that is often recommended when your feeling depressed...exercise!! Well, lord knows the Camino will provide that!! I really think you going to do just fine. The strength of self and self knowledge that you will have on your return will be amazing.

I think about the Camino nearly every day. I think most of us who have done it do. I know that I find myself frequently saying a prayer for those currently walking. I occurs to me how beautifully connected we all are. You never really are alone on the pilgrimage. Even when there is no one in sight. There are people around the world whose minds and hearts wander back to their time on the way. So don't sweat the small stuff as they say. All those other worries, they are small stuff. Go. Walk. Enjoy. Buen Camino!! May is an amazingly beautiful time to walk.

Leanne-- let me just say this: it is NEVER as bad as you think it will be ;). Your Camino already started: you are meant to do this by yourself. Surrender and stop pondering about it. May is a wonderful time of the year to be in the Camino and Paris is not only the City of love, but the city of lights, fascinating history, phenomenal food, and extraordinary art. You will not even remember his name!!

Go-- Your own self is waiting for you. Is all the company you need. ;) Buen Camino!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Do as the Indigo girls say, go to Paris and forget his face!:

I went all the way to Paris to forget your face
Captured in stained glass, young lives long since passed
Statues of lovers every place
I went all across the continent to relieve this restless love
I walked through the ruins, icons of glory

I heard a phrase recently "Solvitur ambulando - It is solved by walking". Go ahead and walk the camino. You won't regret it.

Yup, that is my personal motto. Even when stuck back at home - between Caminos - I find that anything can be sorted if you just go for a walk. The problem we've had locally is a late and quite cold winter, abnormally cold. Crikes! It snowed most of yesterday. Fortunately it turned to rain and went away overnight. My next Camino starts in three weeks. I cannot wait.

Last edited:
Go. The subject of one of my emails home was "solo is good". You can start when you want, stop where you want, walk at your own pace. It was wonderful not having to be aware of other peoples needs all the time. And I made wonderful friends. And it is very healing to be out there just walking.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Yup, that is my personal motto. Even when stuck back at home - between Caminos - I find that anything can be sorted if you just go for a walk. The problem we've had locally is a late and quite cold winter, abnormally cold. Crikes! It snowed most of yesterday. Fortunately it turned to rain and went away overnight. My next Camino starts in three weeks. I cannot wait.

Tom, I did not realise you are starting this month. Message if you are going via Bayonne and I'll buy you a café or a vin rouge.

So many lovely responses.... All I can add is 'go'. Yes it is a bit scary, yes you may well feel sadness at times since a relationship is broken, but I can't think of a better place to be than the Camino Frances in those circumstances.
I wish you all the best.

Thankyou to all of you for your kind and helpful words. I feel very lost and heartbroken at the moment if I'm honest, but reading all your messages has helped me cling to the hope that things will get better. I have decided I will go alone, though I dont feel alone anymore :)
Hopefully organizing the trip will keep my mind occupied untill my journey begins.
Thankyou xxxxx

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I think 'organising' the camino is part of the pleasure... Even if you end up not 'organising' much! Think of what you'll take, aim for the lightest weight, (i weigh every thing and it keeps me busy but then I'm sad lol) As someone suggested maybe book the first night in St Jean.... And go on from there, knowing you're probably much better doing this on your own, 'onest. Again, I wish you a buen camino, can't wait to read about your experience.

With out a doubt go solo :)

Last year I decided to do it alone, it took me a long time to decide on this, I wanted to do it on my own and then doubt set in about how it would affect my relationship if I went alone. Then it was back to me doing it alone and then when the nerves set in once again it was back to asking him to come with me. I knew deep down however that this was MY Camino! That my first gut instinct had told me to do it for myself. Fears of what would happen when we were apart were the main reasons for him coming...no base for a Camino. He didn't have the same pull and want for it as I did.

I also booked to go to Paris and he was going to come with me to see me off, however that too turned into a solo adventure. Paris on my own was a little lonely, but I didn't at all feel upset because it was the Love Capital and he was not with me. Paris for me was slightly ruined however by the realisation of me leaving my insoles at home....but go to Paris for sure first, do the free walking tours, take in the sights, be amazed by the sheer size, get excited for your pending Camino, stay in a hostel and get excited while you tell other travellers your plans! Pig out on a huge lunch for the train journey to Bayonne, enjoy the scenery out the window and dream of how your taking control of your life and that ironically its ok not to be in control of everything. My train was delayed twice and I missed the connection to Saint Jean Pied de Port, but did I freak like I normally would had it been a train back home.....no I let things take the course of action and it all worked out in the end. I never believed in 'The Camino Provides' until I saw it happen to me many times.

Now back and after it being 4 months since I arrived in Santiago de Compostela (1st Decemeber) I feel the need daily to go back once again and do this journey, and guess what...I would choose to do it alone every time. (Although I would like to do it at least once with my boyfriend...but right now he still doesn't feel the need)

Feel free to PM me if you like, I know when I was trying to decide last year whether to go alone or not it gave me that extra push when others told me I had it in me to do it alone....

Like others said to me ....Your Camino starts NOW

Kathryn

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Walking solo frees you up to do what ever the &^%$ you want!!!! Wahooooo! Stick to your own agenda, there is no right or wrong way to walk a pilgrimage... It's gonna be great!

Walking the Camino may not cure a broken heart. That said, walking the Camino is a great way to spend time waiting for time to heal that broken heart.
The Camino always provides me with the answers I need, but not necessarily the answers I want - and often the answers are to questions I'd never thought to ask.
Given a choice between staying at home with a broken heart and walking the Camino with a broken heart, I'd choose the Camino in a flash!

Thankyou to all of you for your kind and helpful words. I feel very lost and heartbroken at the moment if I'm honest, but reading all your messages has helped me cling to the hope that things will get better. I have decided I will go alone, though I dont feel alone anymore :)
Hopefully organizing the trip will keep my mind occupied untill my journey begins.
Thankyou xxxxx
Well done. You won't regret it. And you'll come back stronger, more independent. When I did the CF the lovely Brazilian who runs the albergue in Villatuerta said "The Camino will give you what you need; not what you want." And St James is a better companion than any boyfriend!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Leanne
I'm on my second day of the camino, and I'm doing it alone myself....

do it... alone is just fine, you meet people on the way, and they are all very friendly and helpful.
Buen Camino...

Hi Leanne

I am starting on the 3rd of May from SJPdP, so I don't think we shall meet along the way as you will have started just after me. I wish you all the very best and as you can see from what others have written on here I am sure you will be fine. You will have good and bad days, but hey I suspect you are having those right now!!

Take care, enjoy the freedom that comes from simply putting one foot after another!!

Now back and after it being 4 months since I arrived in Santiago de Compostela (1st Decemeber)
Kathryn-- did I met you in Calzadilla de la Cueza around 8 October 2013? I sat across a "Kathryn from Scotland" last October while having a comunal dinner at the Hostal Camino Real in Calzadilla de la Cueza and she looks like your picture!! :)

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hola,

I have done two caminos, the Coast. to Coast (UK), and years in the Rockies on my own and have always come home wealthier in friends and experiences. Good traveling companions are a treasure, nurture them, but they can foster a closed circle. It's good to dance on thin ice sometime. I am headed for camino #3 in May (Norte) for the solitude and beauty-- old friends.

Burn camino

Marlowe

Kathryn-- did I met you in Calzadilla de la Cueza around 8 October 2013? I sat across a "Kathryn from Scotland" last October while having a comunal dinner at the Hostal Camino Real in Calzadilla de la Cueza and she looks like your picture!! :)

Hi Olivares,

I left on the 30th of October from Saint Jean Pied de Port, In that section I stayed in Carrion de los Condes and then Sahagun, so I must have had a twin :) :)

Not that you need another person to say it but.....WALK, LEANNE, WALK!!!! You will never regret setting of on this adventure, but I am pretty sure you will regret a decision NOT to go. It really is an amazing experience and you will be forever proud of yourself that you had the courage to do it. All the best in your pilgrimage!

Grace

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi Olivares, I left on the 30th of October from Saint Jean Pied de Port, In that section I stayed in Carrion de los Condes and then Sahagun, so I must have had a twin :) :)

OK-- well if there is anything to be said is that your "twin" was a lovely funny lady! Scotland was well represented!:)

I am so glad you decided to go!! I am going alone May 1st and I will be stopping in Paris first as well . Enjoy Paris as well as your caminio because you deserve it !

As is so often said - you never walk alone, in spirit or reality. There are others around for you spend time with or to walk with whenever you need them. That's what life is like on the way. Simple as that. Buen Camino

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Wow! This blog is totally inspirational! I'm starting my first Camino next April after retiring as a cop of 32 years in California, US. I'm also starting out alone, but knowing I'll share the path with many awesome people! The Camino seems to reflect true life based on some of your posts; many people will share our life's journey, but few will accompany us the entire trip.

I am so glad you decided to go!! I am going alone May 1st and I will be stopping in Paris first as well . Enjoy Paris as well as your caminio because you deserve it !

Thankyou Aileen, I hope you have an amazing time! Its a shame we are not crossing paths x

I'm actually doing it alone, so I think I understand some of the additional fears that this brings. I originally promised family that I'd only go with a companion, but no one wanted to join/could join. I haven't left yet - so I have no advice. I just wanted to give a shout-out to a fellow solo traveler. I leave May 26th but I'll actually start walking a few days later on my 30th birthday.

€83,-
I'm actually doing it alone . . . I originally promised family that I'd only go with a companion . . .

I have said it before and I will say it again: you are not alone on the Camino. There are 200 pilgrims within 10 kilometers of you either way up and down the Camino. You sleep with 50 or more people at night. You eat communal dinners. After a few days, the same familiar faces greet you at each rest stop, café, and village square. The companionship and camaraderie are almost indescribable. If you can't make friends on the Camino, you have a serious personality disorder.

I totally agree with newfydog! The awesome Indigo Girls have it right ...... Reclaim Paris for yourself!!!!

Why should his behaviour mean you miss out on time in one of the most beautiful cities in the world. That is giving him too much power by far.

As for being alone ....... that will only happen if you want it to.
Personally, one of the most attractive things about the Camino for me, is the amazingly fluid way one can drift from solitude to company and back again without people being 'upset' that you want to leave them so you can be alone.

Go for it I say. You will have no regrets, only awe!!

Hi irishgurrrl,
I'm planning my solo camino for Sept 13th and didn't know there was a calendar, I can't find it. Can you direct me to it please?
Thanks!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Go to Events at the top of the page. There you will see information that members have entered.

Hi irishgurrrl,
I'm planning my solo camino for Sept 13th and didn't know there was a calendar, I can't find it. Can you direct me to it please?
Thanks!

On the top dark blue ban crossing the Forum page you will see three small white horizontal bars. Click on them. Next click Events. Voila there is the famous calendar!

MM

On the top dark blue ban crossing the Forum page you will see three small white horizontal bars. Click on them. Next click Events. Voila there is the famous calendar!

MM
Thank you!
I just went and tried to post an event (that I start walking on Sept 16th), but it didn't show up anywhere. Maybe there's a time delay? Feeling very technically challenged :(

Good grief, I see that I've posted my event (twice) for april 16th. What an idiot I am. Apologies. Will try again.

I did a part of the Camino Francais with a friend two summers ago. The camino answered my question then. I am now ready to do part 2 with new questions, one being, how do I learn to be alone? I know the camino will answer! So, I am planning on starting out from SJPP on July 1.....by myself! I feel a little nervous about it, but also excited. I know that I will meet wonderful people, have some great alone time and probably not get lost. So....make a decision. But don't let your decision be controlled by fear.

Tanya
I just sent you a post which had too many letters. I wanted to know if sharing a taxi was possible. We arrive on September 14 at the airport in Biarritz. Off to SJPP one day of rest on the 15th and then we start our Camino on the 16th. Our plan is to make our way to Roncevalles, however depending on how we feel we might not make it so we stop in Orisson for the night.
Buen Camino hope to meet you along the way. God Bless

Tanya
I just sent you a post which had too many letters. I wanted to know if sharing a taxi was possible. We arrive on September 14 at the airport in Biarritz. Off to SJPP one day of rest on the 15th and then we start our Camino on the 16th. Our plan is to make our way to Roncevalles, however depending on how we feel we might not make it so we stop in Orisson for the night.
Buen Camino hope to meet you along the way. God Bless

Thank you! I look forward to meeting you and your wife! I hope that we may walk together for a time. About the taxi, I'm not sure this will work. I am flying into Pamplona and will arrive the evening of the 14th. On the 15th my plan is to also have a day of rest, make my way to SJPP by shuttle or taxi, and then start walking on the 16th. I also hope to make it to Roncevalles the first day but, like you, I will see how I feel. So very excited for this trip, September seems so long away! Buen Camino and God Bless!
Tanya

Last edited:
Go for it.
I'm starting on the 10th of May from St Jean.
Doing it on my own.
Hope to meet you on the walk.

If you get half as much support, friendship and caring walking the Camino that you do on this forum there is nothing to worry about! I am starting on the 11th of May after a weeks horse riding near Madrid. I am walking alone, part of my reason for doing so is to not have the influence of anyone else, which might seem selfish, but I actually want to do it for SELFLESS reasons. It appears you are never really 'alone' as you walk, and yet, if you choose to be, you can be. My 25 year relationship ended last year, it is rather daunting to go out on your own, but I get such a great vibe from all the great people who write on here, and we are only a tiny sample of the pilgrims doing the walk. Do it, you will have a great time I'm sure.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Starting a day after you. Hope we meet somewhere. Blue bag with forum bag lifting a man probably wearing a red cap.
Hope you don't have to suffer me Siobhan! :)))
LOL! There will be no suffering! :) Though my butt may be sore after a week of horse riding! I will be carrying a Cranberry Osprey backpack and wearing a white cap...the one in the picture. I don't mean to sound like I don't want to walk with people along the way, it's just I wanted to get set and do this adventure alone to face some adversity and challange my mind and body. I really look forward to meeting amazing people along the Way, like yourself Al!

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Woops thanks for correcting me, I have done my research....honest! I suppose the upside of going alone is that I will be able to do the whole thing instead of just two weeks due to my exes work commitments.
Thankyou for the advice Keith, also I have looked at Chemin and its fully booked up for when I would be going!
Xx
Hopefully, you have taken everyone's advice and are on your way right now. In St. Jean, stop in at L'Esprit du Chemin, which has been renamed as it is under new owners. Their policy was to hold back a few places for walk-ins, so even though the online schedule may show no vacancy, there is a chance that there is a place for you. Otherwise, the Municipal Hostel is fine! Have a great time!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I am
Hopefully, you have taken everyone's advice and are on your way right now. In St. Jean, stop in at L'Esprit du Chemin, which has been renamed as it is under new owners. Their policy was to hold back a few places for walk-ins, so even though the online schedule may show no vacancy, there is a chance that there is a place for you. Otherwise, the Municipal Hostel is fine! Have a great time!
I am in Bayonne waiting for my bus! Nearly there! :)

By the time you've completed the Camino you may understand why the breakup happened and maybe it was a good thing. Certainly, you will have the confidence one earns from finishing something challenging.

By the time you've completed the Camino you may understand why the breakup happened and maybe it was a good thing. Certainly, you will have the confidence one earns from finishing something challenging.

I walked the Camino when my marriage broke up after only 4 years. There were some really tough times on it, the first night particularly and leaving Molinaseca in the dark before dawn, dogs howling, felt like being chased from town.

But the thing is, you're going to go through those same tough times wherever you are. I can think of no better place than the Camino to do it. 18 months on the experience still gives me strength every day and one friendship in particular was pretty much life changing.

Reaching Santiago is bittersweet, all the triumph of getting there mixed with the knowledge that this is where real life begins.

Go for it. A month on the road beats a month of wondering what happened.

Having a reason to walk the Camino is a real privilege. A lot of people never get why they are there.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I'm three days from finishing my 'solo' Camino, thing is, I've never felt alone, I walk by myself in the day as I enjoy my own pace and the peace, but at the end of the day my 'posse' arrives and we eat and drink together...

I have a t-shirt I bought in Santiago after my first camino and it said " nunca caminarás solo " meaning you never walk alone and this is true. Especially on the Camino.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back