• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Dogs and other animals in the albergue municipal

piogaw

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino frances (05/06 2012) sjpdp-sdc; vdlp/camino sanabrea (02/03 2013) sevilla-sdc; hospitalero sdc june 2013, august-september 2013; caminho portugues (03 2014) lisboa-sdc
During my recent camino de la plata, i have had the misfortune of walking in the early stages with some other pelegrinos in which one of them was walking with a very dirty dog. On two different occasion that i knew of, the dog was sneaked into the albergue pretty much in the middle of the night
Despite being told by one of the caretaker. In the other place there was no hospitalero present. Then this dog, with its owner, was staying in the kitchen and dining area with the other pelegrinos (2). I felt i was not in a position to object as i am not in charge even though this is a health issue. The next day as i was about to leave town, i was approached by an elderly spanish woman complaining about the dog being smuggled into the albergue. Also she complained bitterly about the smell. Maybe she is the cleaning lady for the albergue.

What would you have done in my position? Please give me your thoughts.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I would have been very happy to have a dog around.

piogaw said:
During my recent camino de la plata, i have had the misfortune of walking in the early stages with some other pelegrinos in which one of them was walking with a very dirty dog. On two different occasion that i knew of, the dog was sneaked into the albergue pretty much in the middle of the night
Despite being told by one of the caretaker. In the other place there was no hospitalero present. Then this dog, with its owner, was staying in the kitchen and dining area with the other pelegrinos (2). I felt i was not in a position to object as i am not in charge even though this is a health issue. The next day as i was about to leave town, i was approached by an elderly spanish woman complaining about the dog being smuggled into the albergue. Also she complained bitterly about the smell. Maybe she is the cleaning lady for the albergue.

What would you have done in my position? Please give me your thoughts.

One of the nicest things of doing the Camino, in most towns, is having a choice of where to sleep, municipal, private, hostal or casa rural accommodation. If something offended you, you could have slept somewhere else. Or you can go ahead and overtaken that what offended you. You do have so much control to move sideways.
I will be doing my third this year. It has taken me two Caminos to start reading the Bible. I now realise that the Camino is about humility and being non-judgemental. If he wanted a dog, who am I to judge. I would let him be and wish him well.
I know that different cultures have different understandings of cleanliness and attitudes to animals. It is part of the current Camino to meet other cultures and try to understand them.

Best wishes. Go well.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
If a dog is clean and friendly, I don't have a problem, though it shouldn't be in the kitchen. It was - hopefully - kept on a lead by the owner's bed at night? I don't think there are fixed rules about this - probably up to individual hospitaleros.
The incidence of peregrino dogs on the camino is, in my experience, very rare.
Buen camino!

Stephen
http://www.calig.co.uk/camino_de_santiago.htm

If I were you I had tried to walk a bit faster or a bit slower to make sure I got rid of the dog owner, so we didn't have to stay at the same albergues.
I think, but this Is just my personal opinion, that if one is planning to bring a dog to the albergue, then one should first ask the others who are staying there, if they are allergic to dogs.

Dogs will be dogs, which is why they are generally banned from albergues. Dog owners? They have to choose to be obnoxious. I probably would have made a scene; that is probably what the self-absorbed owner wanted, and who am I to disappoint? :D

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hola docpam,

I personally has nothing against a clean dog, but this dog is very filthy and smelly. I did not choose to be with them. I was already in the municipal albergues both times when they shown up. Rules are there for a reason, especially a health reason. Also, the dog was sneaked in despite being told not to let the dog in. I am not being judgemental, i am just stating the facts. I did separate from this group eventually. I believe if you were there, you would have say something whether you are a dog lover or not.

I would have complained to someone. I would have told the fellow to get the dog out of the albergue or I will call the Policía Municipal.

This is not a question of liking dogs or not.

Municipal albergues have to comply with local ordinances governing hygiene and safety in albergues, the same as any other public establishment, because they receive money from the public coffers. They can be closed if there is a problem with hygiene as a result of the presence of animals in the albergue. All it takes is one inspection.

The dog owner was absolutely in the wrong and has no right to impose his pet on others by introducing it into a municipal albergue. Period. A seeing-eye dog is a different story, obviously.

Some people are allergic to dogs, and some have a phobia of them; why should they have to suffer the presence of a dog in close quarters?

The dog was dirty and smelly, you say? Well, there are occasional outbreaks of bedbugs on the Camino, so what about a potential flea infestation? In this case the dog was mild-tempered, but what if it had bitten someone? And if it had, what about the possibility of a dog with rabies? How the heck is a hospitalero to know whether or not the dog has had its vaccinations? And why should the hospitleros or other pilgrims in the albergue have to worry about it? What if the dog gets sick? What if it does its business on the floor of the albergue in the middle of the night? Think the snoring bugs you in an albergue? How about a dog whining or barking in the dormitory in the middle of the night?

There is a reason dogs are not allowed in these places. It's one thing if you have a private room in a hotel or pension that accepts dogs, but in the sort of packed-in conditions that are produced in albergues, it just cannot be permitted.

I have been a hospitalero and I have been in the position of telling pilgrims with dogs that, no, their dogs cannot stay in the albergue. I once had to kick a pilgrim travelling with a pet RAT ( :shock: ) in his backpack out of the albergue here a number of years ago. I have seen fellow hospitaleros insulted and abused by "pilgrims" for simply complying with municipal ordinances. The hospitalero can fined by the police if he or she doesn't apply the ordinances. So, my attitude is "Tough cookies. You find alternative accomodation for the two of you, or four-legs sleeps outside. Those are your options."

It's all very well to get romantic about strolling down the Camino, "me and you and a dog named Boo"-style (obsure 70s pop reference! :wink: ), but you are not out there alone and it's not all about you. Some people don't seem to be able to think past the ends of their noses, but that's not the majority of pilgrims.

Bottom line, you would not have been out of line or some kind of dog-hating meanie to complain. If you're uncomfortable, you have a right to say so.

You are making complete sense, which, of course, has no effect on the "too cool for rules" types. It is a sad modern day fact of life that some folks see the world through a prism that includes only themselves. Such sociopaths are incapable of empathy. I met a pilgrim who slept in the kiosk before Najera that marks the site of the Roldan/Ferragut combat. He had brought his dog and found that he was being turned away everywhere. Rather than raise himself above the comfort of others, he accepted that his choice had consequences, one of which was outdoor sleeping. He had admirable character.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Navarricano,

Where is the like button ? Completely agree with you. I too would have made a complaint. Because I'm a doglover. And the poor dog sure deserved a better owner.

Navarricano, I agree totally. I'm a cat lover, but wouldn't dream of inflicting other people on my cat.
I do not like dogs, and quite frankly would be very annoyed if someone brought a dog into the albergue.
Refuges are for pilgrims, NOT animals.
If people are selfish enough to drag their dog along with them for hundreds of Kms, they should find alternative accommodation, as falcon's pilgrim did......the rest of us should not have to put up with it.

MMMh.... after reading all the comments i feel like i'm right in the middle. I love dogs and have taken mine on a recent pilgrimage - but there were no albergues, I camped most of the time and occasionally stayed in (dog-friendly) B&B. If someone had a dog - maybe they feel more comfortable/safe with a dog, or for all those whose dogs help them in day-to-day life - guide dogs, hearing dogs, disability dogs etc , I would be happy to see them bring the dog into an albergue. But obviously it has to balance with other peoples needs. People may be allergic or scared of dogs. So even guide dogs etc might be problematical - so what to do? To be fair to all - perhaps one room, disabled room (of which there seem to be many now, thankfully) or somewhere could be designated for any pilgrim with dog. If there is not a health/safety dog issue, then I'm sure any dog owner would be happy for the dog to sleep in an outhouse, bike area etc. I would quite happily sleep in the shed with my dog, rather than in the dorm. Some people travel by horseback - and some albergues let them tether them in the grounds. Other people travel with small children who can be noisy etc, but although I would be more upset by a noisy child than a dog, I think most albergues let them in!! In all cases there is no excuse for a filthy dog - hose it off in the yard or in a stream before you get there. If it is 'forbidden' in the albergue rules - then fair enough - sleep outside. But maybe ask if you can shower/cook a meal etc for a donation first, then you and your dog can carry on... All it takes is for us all to be a bit thoughtful of others thoughts/feelings/needs. It might seem that some people ride roughshod over rules by bringing a dog, but plenty of others do by other means - like travelling to the albergue by bus/train with a hangover (not a real health issue!) 0r block booking other people in - it all depends on your point of view and how firmly an albergues rules are kept. On the whole i think it better to have more give then take, and if we feel others take advantage - then let them - we are only responsible for our own attitude and behaviour - which is more than enough to cope with!!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Navarricano said:
I would have complained to someone. I would have told the fellow to get the dog out of the albergue or I will call the Policía Municipal.

This is one thing I like about the French chemins. People and their dogs are never separated, and bring their dogs right into restaurants, sometimes give them a seat at the table and a bowl of something to share. Wonderful dogs, well behaved and fun to have around. It is a well accepted custom and if you made a scene the gendarmes would just laugh at you.

I would recommend those with dog phobias or hygiene fantasies to avoid France.
Here's a nice boy waiting for a table in the restaurant.

Attachments

• dog.JPG
    dog.JPG
    61.9 KB · Views: 2,388
newfydog said:
This is one thing I like about the French chemins. People and their dogs are never separated, and bring their dogs right into restaurants, sometimes give them a seat at the table and a bowl of something to share. Wonderful dogs, well behaved and fun to have around. It is a well accepted custom and if you made a scene the gendarmes would just laugh at you.

It has to be said that in my experience, some countries may love dogs, but they are also somewhat tardy about collecting their "droppings", especially, it has to be said, in certain mainland western european countries.Not so much "fun to have around".

Yes, that is part of French life.
Wouldn't life be dull if it was just like home? :D

http://www.ruerude.com/2011/10/paris-do ... world.html
"Parisian dog owners are appallingly willing to let their dogs foul the sidewalks. As I have written elsewhere, in more than twenty years in Paris I have seen people pick up after their dogs exactly five times, and one of those was an Englishman on the rue de Rivoli, a major arcaded tourist thoroughfare.

Paris lovers try not to notice the dog poop everywhere, but they have to be careful anyway. In my neighborhood, if you don't have your eyes riveted on the sidewalk as you walk, you will have a nasty surprise on your shoes when you get home. Hundreds of people a year wind up in the hospital after slipping in the dog poop.

The mayor has tried to crack down on the dog owners. This sign for example warns of a €3000 fine. That'll be the day! I have never heard of anyone getting a ticket. Right after the policy began, my son's friend Paul did get a verbal warning once but he took to his heels with his father's dog Indy and the contractuel didn't chase him."

Attachments

• merde.JPG
    merde.JPG
    19 KB · Views: 2,342
The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Well,given the coverage on this forum about human poop along the pathway, how about a shout for dogs'....... :mrgreen:

newfydog said:
Navarricano said:

Hi newfydog. Not quite sure how this statement was intended, but I can assure you I have no dog phobias (having owned many) nor "hygiene fantasies", whatever the latter are. :?

France is France, and Spain is Spain. I know the Spanish ordinances. Dogs, with the exception of seeing-eye or guide dogs, are not allowed in restaurants, supermarkets, cafés, shops etc. If it's a municipal albergue, it's governed by municipal ordinances, and is subsidized by local taxes. You obey the ordinances. If it's a private albergue, there is currently more leeway in these situations, though that is gradually changing too.

The fellow with the dog should not have broken the rules, sneaking the dog in when the hospitalero had left. The original poster was uncomfortable with the presence of the unkempt and malodorous pooch, and had a right to expect the others in the albergue to follow the norms. That's not being judgmental or uncharitable or a busybody, that's the bare minimum for coexistence in society. You follow the norms.

Nor should a person in this situation have to "move on"; the dog and his owner should. If you are unwilling to abide by the norms established in the albergue, you shouldn't expect to be able to stay there. That's all.

God bless and have a great weekend!

Navarricano said:
France is France, and Spain is Spain. I know the Spanish ordinances. Dogs, with the exception of seeing-eye or guide dogs, are not allowed in restaurants, supermarkets, cafés, shops etc

Glad you study and like the Spanish laws so thoroughly and would take enforcement into your hands.

Navarricano said:
I would have told the fellow to get the dog out of the albergue or I will call the Policía Municipal.

Tell me, would you have first asked politely, tried to "preserve continual peace and tranquility" or would you have gone straight to your threats?

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Okay, message received. I apologize for having offended you. I'll bow out of this conversation now.

And I must apologize for rable- rousing. I will readily agree that dog owners who break rules do not do anything for human-dog relations, and that no dog should smell worse than it's owner :D

St Roch, with the dog who saved his life, bringing him daily bread, Eglise St Roch, Montpellier, Arles Route

Attachments

• roch.JPG
    roch.JPG
    39 KB · Views: 2,166
newfydog said:
And I must apologize for rable- rousing. I will readily agree that dog owners who break rules do not do anything for human-dog relations, and that no dog should smell worse than it's owner :D

St Roch, with the dog who saved his life, bringing him daily bread, Eglise St Roch, Montpellier, Arles Route

Thank you very much for this. And no hard feelings to you; I honestly did not mean to upset anyone. I really do love dogs, and my beef was not with the dog per se, but with the disrespectful behavior of his owner. Have a great weekend.

I read this thread with interest. Of course an individual who breaks the rules and sneaks a dog into the accommodation is being anti-social, but on the hygiene point, I'd say this; while it is possible to contract a tiny number of diseases from a dog, it is certain that you will contract about ten times as many diseases from another human being - especially in a crowded and smelly pilgrim dormitory. You are far safer from disease communing with a dog than you are with any human being, since human diseases are specifically evolved to target human beings. On the smell thing, judging by the malodorous state of some of the pilgrims I have had the misfortune to stay with, any moderately civilised dog, goat or horse would be a more amenable bedroom companion.

None of the above excuses the unfortunate behaviour of the sneaky pilgrim. In my experience, dogs are rarely sneaky. they generally try to get on with people.

:))

newfydog said:

I agree. My dog often smells better than his owner. He is often better behaved too.

2011-10-06+14.44.08.jpg

Nice dog !

He looks a bit like the dog in the Chambre d'hote I stayed in last week, just off the voie Aurelean in Carces (the route from Italy to Arles).

The dog would wake us up climbing into our bed each morning. One more reason to stick to the French chemins, where dogs have a proper position of respect.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
After walking the camino in Galacia where it is NECESSARY to defend yourself from dogs by whatever means (well aimed rocks and thrusted walking sticks) I can't abide people who let their dog off leash in the park and have gotten into altercations with them. The sign clearly states ... and why should we have to pay for a bylaw enforcement officer to enforce the rules on an allegedly responsible adult.

If the rule is no dogs in the albergue then there damn well better be no (expletive deleted) dog in the albergue.

I live on the Frances, right in the middle of the Way. I have five dogs. Four of them were abandoned or brought here by pilgrims who wouldn´t or couldn´t continue walking with them.

In my experience, people who insist on walking with their pets are living out a romantic fantasy. The animal attracts extra attention, and that makes the pilgrim feel special.

Meantime, the creature himself is tired, thirsty, and often footsore. No one asked him if he wanted to walk across Spain, he has no choice. The dog/donkey/pony/horse/cat/canary/rat/ferret is carrying the weight of his owners´ ego needs, as well as whatever is in the load that is often strapped to his back. He can´t say no. He has to sleep outside, or in the store room, or wherever a place can be found, eat strange food, deal with local dogs and their territory issues...

And that is not fair.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
whariwharangi said:
If the rule is no dogs in the albergue then there damn well better be no (expletive deleted) dog in the albergue.

I sure feel better knowing there are people out there who damn well take enforcement into their own expletive deled hands!

You might not like the French chambre d'hote where the dog climbs in bed to wake you up though. :D

newfydog said:
whariwharangi said:

I sure feel better knowing there are people out there who damn well take enforcement into their own expletive deled hands!

You might not like the French chambre d'hote where the dog climbs in bed to wake you up though. :D

I don't go out of my way. Freedom has its limits in that you are free to do as you please until it interferes with the freedom of others. When I am put upon by someones dog then someone is interfering with my freedom to enjoy the place. The more so where the sign clearly states ... and there will be a change in someones rude behavior.

I spent nearly 60 days in France on caminos, and never saw a dog in a gite or restaurant, and no chambre d'hote I stayed in had a dog in a room or dining area.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Maybe you are staying in dumps. The quality places have dogs. Here's a bar, a restaurant. and a hotel, all just a few weeks ago.

Attachments

• dogauberg.JPG
    dogauberg.JPG
    68.1 KB · Views: 1,061
  • dogbar.JPG
    dogbar.JPG
    94.4 KB · Views: 1,055
  • dogresstaurant.JPG
    dogresstaurant.JPG
    161.4 KB · Views: 1,059
Rebekah Scott said:
I live on the Frances, right in the middle of the Way. I have five dogs. Four of them were abandoned or brought here by pilgrims who wouldn´t or couldn´t continue walking with them.

In my experience, people who insist on walking with their pets are living out a romantic fantasy. The animal attracts extra attention, and that makes the pilgrim feel special.

Meantime, the creature himself is tired, thirsty, and often footsore. No one asked him if he wanted to walk across Spain, he has no choice. The dog/donkey/pony/horse/cat/canary/rat/ferret is carrying the weight of his owners´ ego needs, as well as whatever is in the load that is often strapped to his back. He can´t say no. He has to sleep outside, or in the store room, or wherever a place can be found, eat strange food, deal with local dogs and their territory issues...

And that is not fair.
Well said

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
People who have problems with dogs, just don't understand dogs. They're like the people who go mad when they see a spider or a wasp. If you meet a dog on the way that is showing aggressive, guarding behaviour when you pass his abode, don't try to face him down, looking him in the eyes, and glaring at him. Just avoid eye contact and walk on as if you don't care. He will soon calm down and walk away. Looking an insecure dog right in the eyes is like doing the same with a strange human being. It is direct threat. Just glance at him and walk on by like you don't care. Dogs pretty much have to be trained to actually attack people. It isn't natural behaviour in them to run up to strangers and sink their teeth into them. Barking at strangers who approach a dog's home is a different matter. It is a sign of insecurity. I've been around dogs and dealing with strange dogs most of my life. I have only been bitten unprovoked once in that time when I was grabbed by an old, retired police dog when I was running forty years ago. I've been bitten when trying to separate dogs that were already fighting, but that's an occupational hazard if you try to get between fighting dogs.

Rebekah Scott said:

Isn't everybody on the Camino living out a romantic fantasy when it comes down to it? I don't really disagree with your contention about dragging a dog along, especially if it isn't in the first flush of youth. I'm rather shocked at your experience of having to take care of abandoned camino dogs and am wondering about what kind of person could abandon a dog they'd brought from home - quite astounding. I'd as soon abandon a family member in a foreign land as abandon my dog. Maybe the dogs you now take care of were strays that had followed a pilgrim, so there wasn't the same connection as with your own dog. Perhaps they were just fellow travelers walking together for a while like we all do with other pilgrims as we go.

Dog owners are strange animals. I have several "experiences" with them.

Especially those who say that THEIR dog is the kindest in the world.

One experience, just one of several similar: At my cottage, a reindeer came runnng in full panic past my door, followed by a chasing dog, dressed in a camoflage suit (!) with killing madness glowing in its eyes. The deer managed to cross my river and survived. I called the reindeer owner and we tracked down a hunting party that was out training their dogs (There is no hunting season for reindeer here). The reindeer owner shot the dog in front of its owner (rightfully), because there is a year-round lead rule here, exactly because they do this.

Several dogs have been shot on my property because of this mad behaviour both from owners and dogs. All dogs were of course the kindest in the world, according to the owners.

I have also experienced my granddaughter being attacked by a loose "world's kindest" dog at my cottage, despite a year-round lead obligaton (not sure of the right word..) here.

A dog/other animal in my dorm? No thanks. Would personally have trown out both owner and animal, and/or contacted Guardia Civil promptly.

No need to shout at me, because I expect you to :wink:

Edit: I think Rebekah's story says a lot about many dog owners. Self-centered... Just my experience.

tony1951 said:
People who have problems with dogs, just don't understand dogs....

If you meet a dog on the way that is showing aggressive, guarding behaviour when you pass his abode, don't try to face him down, looking him in the eyes, and glaring at him. Just avoid eye contact and walk on as if you don't care. He will soon calm down and walk away. Looking an insecure dog right in the eyes is like doing the same with a strange human being. It is direct threat.
Eyecontact dog vs. human is a direct threat, you say. I know. Human vs. human? It's called flirting... :wink: Heck of a difference. :lol:

Dogs who have problems with people, just don't understand people, and should be put to rest, IMHO.

tony1951 said:
I read this thread with interest. Of course an individual who breaks the rules and sneaks a dog into the accommodation is being anti-social, but on the hygiene point, I'd say this; while it is possible to contract a tiny number of diseases from a dog, it is certain that you will contract about ten times as many diseases from another human being - especially in a crowded and smelly pilgrim dormitory. You are far safer from disease communing with a dog than you are with any human being, since human diseases are specifically evolved to target human beings. On the smell thing, judging by the malodorous state of some of the pilgrims I have had the misfortune to stay with, any moderately civilised dog, goat or horse would be a more amenable bedroom companion.

None of the above excuses the unfortunate behaviour of the sneaky pilgrim. In my experience, dogs are rarely sneaky. they generally try to get on with people.

:))

Hi Tony51,

Thanks for expressing yourself so well. I will be walking the Camino with my girl Sally, a half Gordon setter half Galgos. She's well behaved and CLEAN and i agree with you that a human is far more inclined to get diseases from other humans than from a dog. The sneaky pilgrim with his grubby dog is hopefully an exception.

I think walking the Camino could be very enjoyable for a dog in good condition. They're outside a lot and moving, which they generally love. They're excellent companions and are willing to protect you from whatever harm may come.

Trix

A very interesting thread and range of opinions.My mind isn't made up on the dog issue.I walked the Norte this year and spent some time with a German lady who had her dog with her. The dog couldn't have been happier. Dogs are pack animals and she was with her pack leader, who she clearly adored.I used to think that taking a dog along was a bit inconsiderate but my view has slightly changed on that.
The lady had a tent with her and tended to sleep in the grounds of the albergue where feasible. One or two hospitalerios said that the dog could stay inside but the lady said that she would bark protectively at people moving around during the night so politely declined the offer.Personally I wouldn't have minded in the slightest. A considerate dog owner.
The dog was also issued a credencial by the local police. I don't know if she got a compostella or no, but that's another thread.
Rebekkah's story highlights ill-prepared owners rather than problem dogs.

The hospitalerio in one Albergue refused to have the dog sleep outside which I thought was pretty mean.

a pilgrim stayed here last week who is a surgical nurse. Two days before he had cleaned and stitched the wounds of another pilgrim who had been bitten on the face by a "lovely, tame, wonderful" pilgrim dog. The dog and his pilgrim should be escorted off the camino forthwith, IMHO.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Do not expect a municipal or parochial albergue to allow a dog inside. Ever. And this has nothing to do with whether the hospitalero/a "likes" dogs. Owners may be offered space outside to set up a tent (with dog inside) but this is also not a guarantee.

I met a Dutchman this summer who was cycling with a tent and a carriage for his dog. Just an idea.

Rebekkah, there's probably more to that story than you are telling.What's the full story?I feel myself coming down on the side of pooches here.
I'd never have taken my own dog on the camino ..he was too old, but I really don't see any harm in bringing a dog along. Caveat being that the owner has thought it through.I've found fellow human pilgrims far more offensive/aggressive(choose your adjective)than any animal I've encountered on the caminos I've walked.

I've found fellow human pilgrims far more offensive/aggressive(choose your adjective)than any animal I've encountered on the caminos I've walked.
Animals I fear most:
1) Man
2) Mosquito
3) Amoebas

Dogs, grizzly bears etc. are well down the list.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I have no issue with well-behaved, clean dogs, but one of the problems is that many dog owners fail to control their pets properly and don't seem to understand that there are people who are genuinely very frightened of any dog and feel very threatened by their presence, however friendly they are. I do think it is unfair to bring it into an albergue without checking beforehand if anyone minds.

Hello alanb,

I have on one occasion allowed a husband and wife team of peregrenos with a loving dog walking with a group to pitch a tent in our beautiful enclosed garden. Even though it is against our rules and regulations, i allowed the dog to stay outside our garden on compassionate ground. The peregrinas was in pain from walking and was also very distressed as i was told they were turned away from the previous hostel/albergue. Also she was so distressed as on the verge of a nervous breakdown. And i think they walked extra distance to reach santiago.

I would also like to mention we, as volunteers hospitaleros do have rules and regulations that we have to adhere to. Only in very special circumstances are we allowed to bend the rules or to break the rules. This is not a question of whether it is a nice dog or not to make arbitrary decision.

I agree with Rebekkah - dogs are given no choice and is simply is not fair, However , it would not be the end of the world if there was a dog or cat in the Albergue . The 'Taberna' in Castrojeriz always has 2 or 3 pets hogging the fire .......I love having animals around.
But NOW, .................................. should I arrive at an albergue and there is a precocious child?........or a baby!? ....thats me , off to the next albergue.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
We have two dogs and although I don't smoke I treat them in the same way as cigarettes. They are our indulgence and no matter how tolerant people are I would not expect others to adapt to my indulgence or put them in the position of feeling like they need to.

Not all dogs are the same either. Many breeds are not designed for endurance walking. Greyhound/lurcher types like ours are hunting animals bred for short bursts of speed, not long days of sustained walking. A dog has about a fifth of the lifespan of us so it strikes me an 800k walk is about 4000k in terms of the toll it takes on them. I personally would not walk with a dog.

Encountered a dog owner with his dog on the CF in Molinaseca. They were taking a taxi from the albergue to Villafranca. The reason? The dog was painfully limping from "blisters" on its paws.
Dogs are loyal to a fault. They will follow their pack leader anywhere. Please be considerate of your dog. They need for you to look out for their welfare - not to mention the welfare of your fellow pilgrims.

For me, it's more about respecting the rules of the country you are visiting.

If the alburgue said "no dogs" then I'd insist they keep the dog out!
If they refused, and I was too tired to move on, I'd find someone to complain to.
Or I might just move on... depends on the situation.
There was a dog in a couple of the albergues on the VDLP last year, but he was well-behaved and slept on the floor.

If they allow dogs, and I don't feel like being around dogs, I move on.

The dog crap on the sidewalks?
Yes, it's gross and disgusting.
In my own family's country, Portugal, it's awful!
I like the Netherlands, where they keep the sidewalks clean.
I didn't see much of a problem in Spain.

Dogs in restaurants? No problem if they're not begging at my table or touching me.
I despise being jumped on or having a strange dog lick my hands or face.

And I agree 100% about not taking dogs on the Camino because it is not good for the DOG! I have seen several bloody footed canines. They're not used to all that walking. It's hard on them, and they do NOT have a choice. It's selfish, in my opinion. Leave the dog in a comfortable doggie hotel at home!

The argument that seems to have broken out over this?
Sometimes I wonder if people who are just bored as heck don't get a kick out of "hooking" people on these threads just for the sole purpose of causing upheaval, then sitting back and watching?

Most read last week in this forum

I have been reading 2 different reports (on FB and instagram) about (an) agressive dog(s) just after Oseira. I'll post them here: In the group of @geraldkelly on FB (4 days ago): Hello lovely Via...
After a smooth and uneventful flight from Chicago to Madrid on Iberia, the last three days we have been doing some sightseeing in Salamanca and Zamora, and our days have been sunny, a little cool...
Hi all! Once again I am heading back to Spain; this time to walk much of the Sanabres with my son; starting in Rionegro del Puente after a few sightseeing days first in Salamanca and Zamora...
After 13 days of walking I've finished my 337km walk on the Camino Sanabres, and my entire 1400km walk from Almería. Yay! If anyone's interested in a day-by-day report, you can find it on my...
One route looks a bit steeper, one a bit longer (not much). How else are they different? Recommendations?
I left them on the trail about 4-5 k before Cea I expect to be in Santiago on April 27-28. Mu email is written on the sides of the poles (for just this eventuality). If you find them and we can...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back