• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Dumbria to Fisterra - bear with me I'm on topic

Tincatinker

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
The beloved and I are setting out on our much anticipated Ingles somewhere around 8/9 September. We would like to continue on from Santiago to Fisterra. Our walk last autumn from Santiago to Muxia and Fisterra was lovely but we fancy turning left at Hospital this time. Which brings me to a topic I've raised before - has anyone tried heading south from Dumbria to reconnect with the Camino Fisterra? Geography, logic and Google Earth all suggest that it is possible but the beloved would like the re-assurance of a map, or at least some-one other than me saying its do-able. I may, occasionally, in the past, have got us ever so slightly, not, lost, as such, but, off track. This makes the beloved nervous of departures from the path.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Tincatinker,

If I understand your question correctly you want to know if you can pick up the Caminio Finisterre between Hospital and Dunbria. Indeed you can; I have done it many times. Continue walking on the joint CM/CF camino out of Hospital until you arrive at a major crossing with the highways CP-3404 and CP-2302 and the camino. Here there is a large marker with an arrow left for Finisterre and and arrow right for Dunbria /Muxia. Turn left and follow the other arrows along the CF way. The CF camino rolls over hills and through wood.

Walking across the hills near Cee you can at last glimpse the sea. Near-by is the simple, welcoming albergue at San Roque/Corcubion. >> http://caminodesantiago.consumer.es./al ... san-roque/ In the dark from the dorm window when you see the lighthouse beacon at Finisterre shining out to sea it is magical.

The Eroski guide offers a good schematic map on line >> http://caminodesantiago.consumer.es./lo ... -fisterra/ In Santiago the Galicia Tourist Office at 30 rua de Vilar near the cathedral provides an invaluable free multilingual list of ALL services on the CF/CM paths including accommodation, restaurants/bars, buses/taxis. Pick one up before you leave.

Check out what fellow Forum member Peter Robins writes of this route and its maps here >> http://pilgrim.peterrobins.co.uk/routes/details/fisterra.html

You can read my blogs of this stretch here >> http://mermore.blogspot.fr/2011/04/aaolv.html

Buen Camino to you both,

Margaret Meredith

Last edited:
How did it go? Did you get your lovely wife to trust your google map reading? She didn't sound so sure when I asked about it in the cathedral :)

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
How did it go? Did you get your lovely wife to trust your google map reading? She didn't sound so sure when I asked about it in the cathedral :)
I am interested to know as well. I am planning to walk the Camino Ingles and then onto Muxia and Finesterra (or vice versa) next year starting in the second week of Apr. It doesn't sound difficult to navigate, but I can make almost any navigation problem complicated:(

Regards,

I am interested to know as well. I am planning to walk the Camino Ingles and then onto Muxia and Finesterra (or vice versa) next year starting in the second week of Apr. It doesn't sound difficult to navigate, but I can make almost any navigation problem complicated:(

Regards,
@Dogh to do the normal route either Finisterre or Muxía first is really easy navigation you can't go lost there it is so well marked. They wanted to go to Dumbria after Finisterre (if I got it right) and that is not normally on the way.

Well, here we are home again. Not "en Camino". These are just bits from my notes but might be of use to others who follow this route. There are occasionally challenging hills, but only hills, lots of forest paths and some protracted asphalt sections that do get tedious. Some may find the frequent motorway encounters irritating, we didn't; the impact on the landscape is spectacular.

The Beloved and I walked from Ferrol to Cee. Sea to sea you might say. We didn't make it to Fisterra this time, that final descent into Cee finished the Beloved. Blisters that appeared day one, despite her fitness, well broken shoes and all the usual care, done for her. Though she was still willing to do the final K's: we've been there before and ...

We were blessed by dry, frequently sunny, weather with mornings great for walking and afternoons good for laundry and relaxing. We relied on John's guide but Way marking throughout was really good, the only navigational challenge was met by a Camino Angel. An elderly gentleman hurried to catch us one morning and asked if we were going to Santaigo, when I said yes he replied " not this way you aren't" and pointed back to a turning we had missed.

We arrived in Ferrol on the FEVE from Oviedo a little after 2pm and therefore just in time for Ferrol to close down for lunch and siesta. We obtained a sello from the FEVE station ticket office, pilgrim friendly and willing to help. The walk to NEDA and the xunta albergue was easy, well marked and memorable for the impressive array of stinks and stenches from the mud exposed at low tide. We had to "espera" for the hospitialero who arrived a bit after 7:30. We gave up on finding somewhere to eat a meal in Neda and subsisted on tinto and tapas. There is a tienda in Neda and the albergue kitchen wasn't completely devoid of facilities. Day two was Neda to Minho. Great walking with a couple of challenging but not savage climbs though having lunched in Pontedueme the climb out of town with a full belly was a bit of a b*gger. Phoning the Guardia Civil to ask for access to the albergue felt odd but the women who arrived, uniformed but un-armed were very friendly. Day three; a shorty to Betanzos, laundry day. The xunta Albergue was amazing - lovely building, well equipped, loads of pots and pans, just no cooker only microwaves. Parque Passtiempo is well worth the visit. Day four - Betanzos to Bruma; a really enjoyable days walking. Bar Julia closed when we got there but responsive to some vigorous door rattling! the 350 metre climb that follows was again a "challenge" but the fuente at the picnic spot at the top even if "no potable" provides lovely cool water for a wash down and shade to recover. The albergue at Bruma is wonderful and to have an evening meal delivered (and cervieca €1 in the vending machine) even better. Day five -Bruma to Sigueiro - well actually to the Hotel San Vicente. Neither of us really fancied the Hostal Miras in Sigueiro having stopped for a drink and a bite to eat. The San Vicente is no great shakes either - expensive for what it is and a menu that was shameful by most standards. On the plus side it makes for an even easier walk into Santiago in the morning.

The Beloved had the chance to attend Sunday mass and to see the botofumerio swung, courtesy of a Danish walking group so rumour has it, and to collect a compostella from the Pilgrim Office. We were really impressed by the constant queues at the office. so many happy pilgrims.

We walked on Sunday afternoon through to Lombao and the Casa Raimonte run by the "delightful" Julian and Rosa (says Brierley). He's not wrong, they were truly delightful people and the albergue (private) is one of the better of its ilk. Day six to Vilarserio private albergue and associated bar both pleasant. Day seven to Olveiroa. My note book reads: ' A tiny stone-built farming community - with 3 albergues, a couple of Casa Rurales, a Posada and 4 bars!". The Beloved and I did not go to Dumbria, and regretted the decision. Olveiroa was full of "party-people" ready to get to Finisterre and really let rip but ready to practice the night the night before. Probably just bad timing but the first time ever I've been woken in a xunta albergue at one in the morning by drunken "pilgs" trying to find their bunks. The walk from Olveiroa to Cee was very enjoyable though more forest than moor that we had expected and the water from the fuente at the Capilla San Pedro the best on the whole route. The cafe at Hospital though friendly is frankly expensive at €4.50 for a bocadillo of no great merit.

Highlights? Galicia in the sunshine, Santiago and the smiling throngs, the wonderful Beatrice Karjalainen whom we met along the way.

Low points? The absence of reasonable pilgrim friendly accommodation between Bruma and Santiago.

For those who have expressed interest in the Dumbria to Fisterra question that I opened this thread with - sorry guys we didn't test it. But I have now visited both ends of the link. There is a road junction just outside Dumbria, a few hundred metres before the turn off to the Albergue that has a sign to Buxantes. This is the road that intersects the Camino Fisterra at the crucerio at Marco de Couto where the camino is very clearly way-marked. The un-tested element is whether this is pleasant walking or not.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Well, here we are home again. Not "en Camino". These are just bits from my notes but might be of use to others who follow this route. There are occasionally challenging hills, but only hills, lots of forest paths and some protracted asphalt sections that do get tedious. Some may find the frequent motorway encounters irritating, we didn't; the impact on the landscape is spectacular.

The Beloved and I walked from Ferrol to Cee. Sea to sea you might say. We didn't make it to Fisterra this time, that final descent into Cee finished the Beloved. Blisters that appeared day one, despite her fitness, well broken shoes and all the usual care, done for her. Though she was still willing to do the final K's: we've been there before and ...

We were blessed by dry, frequently sunny, weather with mornings great for walking and afternoons good for laundry and relaxing. We relied on John's guide but Way marking throughout was really good, the only navigational challenge was met by a Camino Angel. An elderly gentleman hurried to catch us one morning and asked if we were going to Santaigo, when I said yes he replied " not this way you aren't" and pointed back to a turning we had missed.

We arrived in Ferrol on the FEVE from Oviedo a little after 2pm and therefore just in time for Ferrol to close down for lunch and siesta. We obtained a sello from the FEVE station ticket office, pilgrim friendly and willing to help. The walk to NEDA and the xunta albergue was easy, well marked and memorable for the impressive array of stinks and stenches from the mud exposed at low tide. We had to "espera" for the hospitialero who arrived a bit after 7:30. We gave up on finding somewhere to eat a meal in Neda and subsisted on tinto and tapas. There is a tienda in Neda and the albergue kitchen wasn't completely devoid of facilities. Day two was Neda to Minho. Great walking with a couple of challenging but not savage climbs though having lunched in Pontedueme the climb out of town with a full belly was a bit of a b*gger. Phoning the Guardia Civil to ask for access to the albergue felt odd but the women who arrived, uniformed but un-armed were very friendly. Day three; a shorty to Betanzos, laundry day. The xunta Albergue was amazing - lovely building, well equipped, loads of pots and pans, just no cooker only microwaves. Parque Passtiempo is well worth the visit. Day four - Betanzos to Bruma; a really enjoyable days walking. Bar Julia closed when we got there but responsive to some vigorous door rattling! the 350 metre climb that follows was again a "challenge" but the fuente at the picnic spot at the top even if "no potable" provides lovely cool water for a wash down and shade to recover. The albergue at Bruma is wonderful and to have an evening meal delivered (and cervieca €1 in the vending machine) even better. Day five -Bruma to Sigueiro - well actually to the Hotel San Vicente. Neither of us really fancied the Hostal Miras in Sigueiro having stopped for a drink and a bite to eat. The San Vicente is no great shakes either - expensive for what it is and a menu that was shameful by most standards. On the plus side it makes for an even easier walk into Santiago in the morning.

The Beloved had the chance to attend Sunday mass and to see the botofumerio swung, courtesy of a Danish walking group so rumour has it, and to collect a compostella from the Pilgrim Office. We were really impressed by the constant queues at the office. so many happy pilgrims.

We walked on Sunday afternoon through to Lombao and the Casa Raimonte run by the "delightful" Julian and Rosa (says Brierley). He's not wrong, they were truly delightful people and the albergue (private) is one of the better of its ilk. Day six to Vilarserio private albergue and associated bar both pleasant. Day seven to Olveiroa. My note book reads: ' A tiny stone-built farming community - with 3 albergues, a couple of Casa Rurales, a Posada and 4 bars!". The Beloved and I did not go to Dumbria, and regretted the decision. Olveiroa was full of "party-people" ready to get to Finisterre and really let rip but ready to practice the night the night before. Probably just bad timing but the first time ever I've been woken in a xunta albergue at one in the morning by drunken "pilgs" trying to find their bunks. The walk from Olveiroa to Cee was very enjoyable though more forest than moor that we had expected and the water from the fuente at the Capilla San Pedro the best on the whole route. The cafe at Hospital though friendly is frankly expensive at €4.50 for a bocadillo of no great merit.

Highlights? Galicia in the sunshine, Santiago and the smiling throngs, the wonderful Beatrice Karjalainen whom we met along the way.

Low points? The absence of reasonable pilgrim friendly accommodation between Bruma and Santiago.

For those who have expressed interest in the Dumbria to Fisterra question that I opened this thread with - sorry guys we didn't test it. But I have now visited both ends of the link. There is a road junction just outside Dumbria, a few hundred metres before the turn off to the Albergue that has a sign to Buxantes. This is the road that intersects the Camino Fisterra at the crucerio at Marco de Couto where the camino is very clearly way-marked. The un-tested element is whether this is pleasant walking or not.

The Beloved.............................. I just love that.

Thanks for all the info Tincatinker and glad your back home with the "Beloved". Hope her feet have recovered and perhaps ready for another Camino.

Buen Camino!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Oh thanx. It was a real pleasure to meet you two as well. So much fun. Great description of the way you went. I'm sorry to here that she got blisters in the decent to Cee yes it is a hard one. But getting to see Cee and Concubine is nice as well. At least I really liked that place. Much more than Finisterre.

Hope to see you out on the way soon again either in person or via the forum.

Take care and give the Beloved a hug from me.

Most read last week in this forum

So, I managed to lose my lovely Tilley hat. Left behind I think, in a shop in Cambre. Going back for it not an option as the place is closed today, Sunday. Am I destined to arrive in Santiago...
Beautiful walking weather on the Camino Ingles today
On one of the FB forums, someone asked about detouring to Fragas do Eume, just outside of Pontedeume, and it looks amazing. Since I'm splitting up Ferrol - Pontedeume into two days (taking the...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back