• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Easter Sunday 2014: Burgos or Leon

Geralbc

Time of past OR future Camino
Planning Camino Frances april/may 2014; Finisterre/Muxia may 2014
I'm planning my Camino for April/May 2014. Holy week will fall during my Camino, and I would like to have a beautiful Easter experience. I was wondering where it would be nicer to spend Easter Sunday, whether in Burgos or in Leon? so any suggestions are welcome!

Do you think it would be feasable to walk between burgos and Leon in five days? So that i could consider Palm Sunday in Burgos, leaving monday morning trying to reach Leon on good friday? And spend Easter vigil/Easter Sunday in Leon?

Any comments will be greatly appreciated!
Geraldina

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hello Geraldina,

This would be a great experience to be in one for Palm Sunday and the other on Good Friday. I am sure wherever you end up on your journey, it will be special. I'm sorry I can't answer more regarding these days.

On the other hand, it looks to me Burgos to Leon is roughly 175km. This would be 35km a day of walking to reach in 5 days. I'm thinking that 5th day would be a later arrival. You wouldn't want to miss any special Mass ceremonies if earlier in the afternoon. If it were me, I'd attend a service on the Palm Sunday morning and then get in some time of walking after. Even if only 4-5 hours after Mass, you would be that much closer to Leon and be less hurried.

I think it's worth a try. :)

Keep a smile,
Simeon

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Thank you Simeon for the suggestion!
And Annie! I'm sure holy week during the Camino will be special! I'm sooo looking forward to it! :)

Hola Geraldina,
I'm anxious to see what replies you get as we (God willing) should be arriving in Leon on Holy Thursday. We plan to stay on to experience Good Friday; leaving on Saturday morning for a quieter Easter probably in Astorga. I tried to book a room at a hotel recommended on this forum but it was already sold out. From what I have seen online, Leon is one of the cities that goes all out with spectacular processions and 'emotional fiestas'.

We normally attend the Easter Triduum at our church and were a little unsure about missing it this year, however; we soon realized what a fantastic opportunity we might be blessed with by being right in the middle of this country with such rich traditions. I am sure that it will be a once in a lifetime, unforgettable experience as one of our adult daughters will be on pilgrimage with us. I am so excited!!
Maybe we will meet in Leon on Good Friday!
Blessings,
Alicia

Thank you Alicia! I'll try to make it to Leon on holy Friday, like you said, "God willing".

Will need to start looking into hotels/hostels that do advance bookings, it seems it may be a busy time of year to be in Leon, but I'm looking forward to he special experience it would be!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
In Leon, I stayed twice at Hostal Guzman el Bueno and was very happy. Just off the pedestrian walk, near the Cathedral and plenty of food options. Shared a room in '05 and had my own in '12. The large refuio at the convent is simple and has an early lock-out if I remember correctly, 21:30 comes to mind.

Here is the site:

http://hostalguzman.es/new/

Thank you! Will check it out!

Mralisn,
Great info; I had been looking for an alternative hotel in Leon but the Hostal Guzman el Bueno sounds great; rave reviews on the location and the price posted on their web is much lower than others I was considering.
Thanks for sharing!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi Alicia,

You are very welcome. In all my nights on the Caminos, I have maybe stayed in 5 hotels/hostels and this one twice. Fairly simple, own bed(s), tub, quiet, close to anything you need, the people were really nice to me both times. They'll stamp your passport as well.

Keep a smile,
Simeon

I've already sent the link to our daughter so she can take a look (she lives in Austin); I expect to book a room for all three of us by the weekend.
Thanks again!!

Alicia, maybe we'll meet there! :)

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Yes, that would be great! Let's be sure to contact each other as time gets closer.
We plan to leave the states on March 27th; plan to have my iphone with me to keep an eye on the forum and be able to contact Ivar on the premium forum if it becomes necessary.
Blessings!

Still working on my dates! Will backtrack from burgos on palm sunday to figure out my start date!
Hope you all had a lovely christmas! And buen camino in 2014!

One late and last word-my experience on the Camino at Easter has always been fantastic-5 different times so far, now as a non-Christian I have only a certain anthropological interest in witnessing the mass (I don't mean that but the Church knows how to put on a good show!). My recommendation? For the week and even more before Easter and the few days after, linger a moment at very albergue that you pass by or stop over, or at every town with a tourist information, ask at the town hall, even every pharmacy if your Spanish is not so good since they usually speak the best English around, every church attendant or bulletin board there that you should meet ask when and where is the local festival-procession-celebration or one nearby. I have been most moved by processions in places like Ciraqui-celebrations in Castrojeriz, the mass in Pamplona then any mass I have attended in Burgos, Leon, and sadly even Santiago. Why? Simply because it is a local "non-professional" sort of occasion, people moved by real piety not social obligation, no ostentation, true no roaring organ no choir singing in four point harmony but it is an experience you should not miss.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Thank you! I know it will be an amazing experiece!

Hola Geraldina,
I'm anxious to see what replies you get as we (God willing) should be arriving in Leon on Holy Thursday. We plan to stay on to experience Good Friday; leaving on Saturday morning for a quieter Easter probably in Astorga. I tried to book a room at a hotel recommended on this forum but it was already sold out. From what I have seen online, Leon is one of the cities that goes all out with spectacular processions and 'emotional fiestas'.

We normally attend the Easter Triduum at our church and were a little unsure about missing it this year, however; we soon realized what a fantastic opportunity we might be blessed with by being right in the middle of this country with such rich traditions. I am sure that it will be a once in a lifetime, unforgettable experience as one of our adult daughters will be on pilgrimage with us. I am so excited!!
Maybe we will meet in Leon on Good Friday!
Blessings,
Alicia
Hi Alicia!
I have been doing some reading, and you are absolutely right in wanting to be in Leon on thursday! Procesion de los Pasos in Leon is a must! Cant wait to be there!
Geraldina

Great, enjoy your planning and maybe we'll see you there!
Blessings!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Holy Week is a very popular time for Spaniards to make the camino. Be prepared for LOTS of company on the trail. Also, no matter where you are on the camino, you will find wonderful Holy Week rites and processions. Leon really does pull out all the stops, but you run into major traffic and crowds, too... If you can´t find a room, check out Sahagun for a smaller and still very heartfelt celebration.

We are currently trying to secure a room for two nights in Leon, if we are unable to then we may have to change our plans and we will certainly keep your recommendation of Sahagun in mind. I am sure that wherever we find ourselves on Good Friday, it will be exactly what we need spiritually. Thank you Rebekah.
Blessings,
Alicia

Thanks for the valuable comments!!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Oh, and in Leon province and surrounding areas, be sure to try the Holy Week beverage: "limonada." Supposedly it was created by and for the penitentes in the cone-hats, carrying the heavy pasos in the parades, to keep up their strength and lessen their pain. (It´s strong, sweet wine, a bit like vermouth, with lemon and fruit in it. Not a bit like merry old sangria, but worth checking out.) It´s NOT your granny´s lemonade!

If you do choose to stay in Sahagun (either by choice or unavoidable), I recommend Hostal Alfonso VI. It is on the Camino, great value (I paid 25 €/double single use). Very kind, attentive owners. Clean, comfortable, quiet. The bus and train station are about 10 minutes walk with frequent departures to Leon, if you also choose to go for the evening and return to continue on the Camino. Buen Camino!

Thanks for all the information. I was able to book the last triple room at the Pension Sandoval. When I last checked, they still had three double rooms (shared bathroom) left at 61 euros per night. I would like to have been able to book a room with a private bath but I wasn't willing to pay the premium at the pricier hotels.
Blessings,
Alicia

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
hello alicia & geralbc,

welcome to the forum,

alicia, i am happy for you to find a room around the leon locality.

geralbc- i hope you are able to find a room.

as the easter rites and processions are a very important occasions in this catholic country, finding a bed for the night is difficult. so try to get a bed as quickly as possible. if you are unable to find one, either backtrack or go to the next bvillage. processions and easter celebvration are a very significant events in bvig purblos and cities like leon, burgos, malaga, sevilla, etc. with processions everyday.

good luck with all your plannings. buen camino. god bless.

I'm planning my Camino for April/May 2014. Holy week will fall during my Camino, and I would like to have a beautiful Easter experience. I was wondering where it would be nicer to spend Easter Sunday, whether in Burgos or in Leon? so any suggestions are welcome!

Do you think it would be feasable to walk between burgos and Leon in five days? So that i could consider Palm Sunday in Burgos, leaving monday morning trying to reach Leon on good friday? And spend Easter vigil/Easter Sunday in Leon?

Any comments will be greatly appreciated!
Geraldina
Hi Geraldina,
I have similar plans. I decided to start from Burgos the weekend of Palm Sunday and I have booked accomodation in Leon from Holy Thursday to Easter Sunday. Whether I will be able to cover the entire distance from Burgos to Leon in time for the evening services on Holy Thursday is doubtful but I figure I can always hop on a bus or train to get to Leon on time and then double back on the Friday and/or Saturday morning to cover any ground I have had to miss.

I have been advised that some of the Holy Week parades are quite late which may mean it is not possible to participate if staying in a refugio as refugios often refuse to admit guests late in the evening.

Best regards

Maureen

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hello Piogaw,
I am so looking forward to spending Holy Week and Easter in Spain. I really appreciate how the culture intertwines with the Catholic religion and I can hardly wait to see the parades I've read so much about. I expect there will be a heaviness to the 'festivities' on Holy Thursday and Good Friday but I will consider that a gift from above, a gift from the Camino...

Blessings,
Alicia

Oh, I didn't mention, we should be in Mazarife on the morning of Easter. Might someone know if there will be an early morning Mass or sunrise service or will we have to wait until the evening when we get to the next stop?
Thank you and many blessings.
Alicia

Hi Maureen and Alicia!
I too will be in Leon from Holy thursday to Easter Sunday
I have booked a hotel room (yes, pricey, but besides being there for the beautiful ceremonies/processions, i'm doing the Camino to celebrate my big 50, so i figured it would be worth it)
In Leon thursday night at midnight, the "Ronda" announces the big procession for Friday Morning,
http://www.spainisculture.com/en/fiestas/leon/la_ronda_y_la_procesion_de_los_pasos.html
http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Semana_Santa_en_Leon
Looking forward to the amazing experience of the Camino during Holy Week!

Buen Camino
Geraldina

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi Maureen and Alicia!
I too will be in Leon from Holy thursday to Easter Sunday
I have booked a hotel room (yes, pricey, but besides being there for the beautiful ceremonies/processions, i'm doing the Camino to celebrate my big 50, so i figured it would be worth it)
In Leon thursday night at midnight, the "Ronda" announces the big procession for Friday Morning,
http://www.spainisculture.com/en/fiestas/leon/la_ronda_y_la_procesion_de_los_pasos.html
http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Semana_Santa_en_Leon
Looking forward to the amazing experience of the Camino during Holy Week!

Buen Camino
Geraldina
Hi Geraldina,
Thanks for the link. I am really looking forward to the ceremonies and processions. This confirms that staying anywhere that insists on everyone being in bed by 10pm would be a mistake during Holy Week.
Buen Camino
Maureen

Will being in Santiago on Good Friday be good? Or should we rather be there on Easter Sunday?

Holy Friday in Santiago should be great! Usualy fridays in Spain have nice processions!
in Santiago there are the "procesion del Santo Entierro" (holy burial), and at least two others!
http://www.semanasantasantiago.com. here you can see the program from last year to see what you can expect this year.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back