• We are struggeling with some issues with images and attachments not loading on the forum. This is some left-over problems from the other day. We have back-ups of everything, so nothing is lost, we just need to link things up again so that it works. In short, we are working on it. Sorry! Ivar
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

El Salvador con mi mujer

GunnarW

Time of past OR future Camino
2011+ > Spain, Belgium, France
For the moment, I m doing the Salvador with my wife Esmine. This is a very nice camino. We are now in Pajares. There are something like 5 peregrinos doing the camino. If everything goes fine, there will be a second Radio Buen Camino. Till soon.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi, Gunnar,
I was just wondering about your Camino del Salvador -- thanks for posting. Can't wait to hear all about it and especially the stretch from Buiza to Pajares. The traffic is definitely increasing -- I've walked the Salvador twice and have never met anyone else, and you mention 5 others!

Buen camino, Laurie

I don't know whether to look forward to the report or not, I'm going in about three weeks so partly curious, partly don't want to spoil the surprise.

Five others? I knew I should have waited to avoid the crowds :D

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
And to think I was wondering if there would be crowds in June! What an exciting report.

Well, Stuart, if you are sticking with your idea of taking a detour to the Ubina massif you will probably see a few more, since August is prime time up there. I would love to do this someday, so I hope you will report back. And take pictures!!!

And Gunnar, hope you will have time to visit the pre-romanesque churches up on Naranco when you get to Oviedo. Buen camino to you, Laurie

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Re: Re: El Salvador con mi mujer

peregrina2000 said:
Well, Stuart, if you are sticking with your idea of taking a detour to the Ubina massif you will probably see a few more, since August is prime time up there. I would love to do this someday, so I hope you will report back. And take pictures!!!

And Gunnar, hope you will have time to visit the pre-romanesque churches up on Naranco when you get to Oviedo. Buen camino to you, Laurie

Yep that's still the plan. I've been doing some research and it appears the traditional way of climbing Pena Ubina is en masse in a group of about 30 :) My plan has me at the trail head later in the day, summit late afternoon/early evening then either bivvy on the lower slopes or head back to the Refugio if the weather is bad. I'm hoping that will avoid the crowds. It'll be midweek too which may help. Can't wait, 23 days to go.

Don't worry, there will be plenty of photos!

Hello everyone,
For the moment, we are in Mieres in the Hotel Mieres del Camino with free use of a laptop. A moment to backup al my images and to join this forum.
I took a lot of pictures and video tracks. All my pictures will be shared. I took also notes to update the guide "A guide to the camino del Salvador" from Rebekah, Laurie and Piers.
The most difficult part for us was Pajares-Campomanes because I m using a pulling cart for the most of our stuff. But at the chapel of S Miguel, a farmer family invited us to join there picnic. And there was fresh sider to drink served like it has to be.

5 peregrinos seemed to be a peak. I remember looking in the 2 books in the buzon after Leon and there were days when no one passed.
More to come.
Till soon.
Gunnar and Esmine.

Hi, I was one of those five peregrinos.
I started in Leon last Thursday and arrived in Oviedo on Tuesday.
It was wonderful to have the walk to myself although I started to feel a little lonely by the end.
The albergues were great and the people very friendly.
I didn't use the albergue at Mieres because it didn't open until 17.00 and arrived at 11.00. I wonder if anyone ever stops there, it's only a short stage from Pola de Lente to Mieres.
Unfortunately I managed to pick up three or four ticks on my leg while hacking my way through the brambles and ferns on the way to Campomanes. That was also where I saw a huge snake eating a rat on the path.
The signs and waymarks are very good now and climbing the mountain was quite a doodle as long as you are aware and prepared for changing weather conditions.
I've walked several camino routes now and this ranks with my favourite, the Primitivo, as the best.
I had a huge smile on my face and a great sense of achievement when I received my certificate at the cathedral in Oviedo.
I look forward to seeing your photos.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
So good to see so many people enjoying this wonderful camino!
I hope you all will send updates to the CSJ guide. It´s only as good as the latest news, and it HAS been a while since I was up there!

Rebekah

Jack,

Thank you for hacking the brambles. I noticed that this was recently done at some places. Afterwards the old, huge tree blocking the way was too much for us. But the sidra from the farmers made it good. But why again a heavy climb in the last village just before the big descent to Campomanes? :D
You saw a snake. Amazing. We saw early in the morning just after Poladura a deer running but was too late to film it.
The Camino del Salvador is also the camino of the butterflies. I noticed at least 12 different species and also could film the one that looks orange while flying, black with some yellow (or white) spots when static and had a weird form. Never seen before.
And now I will go to bed because tomorrow we must arrive in Oviedo. I'm curious how difficult those last mountains will be.
Greetings

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
To Jack and others,

Rebekah and I have decided that I will work on an update to the Salvador guide, leaving Reb's many talents for more important things. If you haven't started working on your written suggestions, hold off a little bit. I will post on the forum when I have completed my revisions, and you can then work off of that version. I know there were several major improvements on the route since we wrote the guide in 2009 or thereabouts. I will do what I can based on my 2012 walk and then hope you guys will have even more up to date information.

Thanks everyone, buen camino, Laurie

Hello,
Yesterday at 15:30, we arrived in Oviedo. This was a very nice camino!
I hope I can visit the cathedral tomorrow Monday, because it's closed on Sunday.
Laurie,
We just came back from Naranco. Thank you for the tip.
We took bus L10 (urban bus). Fare 1,05€ one way. Only one bus an hour. L10 stops close to the railway station. You need to get out at the stop before the last stop.
I will wait till you updated your info with more nice things to know.
Till soon.

Gunnar W.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Congratulations, Gunnar! Enjoy Oviedo. Time to eat drink and be merry!

Not sure if you are a cheese lover, but one thing I always indulge in in Oviedo is a plate of "queso artesenal." There are some amazingly good Asturian cheeses, I particularly like the creamy La Peral. It's a blue cheese but not as strong or stinky as the more famous Asturian blue, Cabrales.

I've never quite been able to understand all the buzz about sidra, but I love walking down that street (I think it's La Gascona) where all the tables are outside and people sit and drink bottle after bottle after bottle. My son lived in Oviedo for a year and his theory is that sidra is more than a drink, it's a social lynchpin. You can't sit and drink it alone because it will lose all its fizz, so you need to be with others who gulp it down with you. And its low alcohol content means you can keep at it for quite a while. Whatever it is, it is fun to be with the crowds who enjoy it every day on the Gascona.

End of another camino, looking forward to your comments as soon as I get the revisions done. Laurie

Aaah! La Gascona, I know it well. My pension was in that street. I agree with you about the sidre.
My favourite thing is the Spanish bean stew, Fabada.

I'm already thinking about La Ruta Vadiniense.

Hello Laurie,

For the moment, We are visiting the Monasterio de Piedra close to Zaragoza.
Thank you for the congratulations!
Well, we didn t remark La Gascona. Maybe it was the small place where I saw some camareros serving sidra. In fact, in Mieres behind the statue, there was much more "sidra fun".
Monday morning, when we had to leave the hotel, we quickly visited the cathedral and asked for a sello where they sell tickets. And here is something I didn t know and didn t read in the guide. May be it s new for you too.
The guy asked me if we would continue to walk. I responded that Oviedo was our final stop. He proposed to close the credencial (stamp the first page where normally the Compostela stamp needs to be stamped).
And asked if we would like to have a Salvadorana. The Salvadorana from the cathedral is VERY nice!!! Price is the same as in the albergue: 4€ incl. the cylinder.
So we finished El Salvador with 2 Salvadoranas each.
Till soon,

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi, Gunnar,

Hope you enjoy your travels around Spain. I think that if you were on the Gascona you would have known it. It's a long long block with nothing but outdoor tables and tables under awnings and more table inside.

I didn't know that there was a Salvadorana available in the Cathedral. Is this a different Salvadorana than the one you got from the albergue? (I'm assuming yes, based on what you said, but just want to check so I can put it in the revisions to the guide.) Thanks, Laurie

Hello Laurie,

Yes, the Salvadorana is different. When I'm at home, I will make a scan and send it to you.
Till soon,

Gunnar, I've sent you a PM -- I'm getting ready to finish up the revisions to the guide and wonder if and when you will have a chance to look at them. I know you are traveling now, so I'm not trying to rush you, just wondering about timing.

And to anyone else who has walked the Salvador since summer 2012 -- please let me know if you are willing to take a look at the revisions I've done for the Confraternity's online guide. We'd like to get it posted but there is no rush.

I can send what I've got so far to anyone who is walking soon (annie I'll have yours on the way very soon). Buen camino, and thanks to anyone who can help. Laurie

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

(Soon-) Live from the Camino del Salvador - starting end of April 24. We are currently on the Camino de Invierno around 43km before reaching Santiago - from there we will catch a bus to Leon to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back