• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Enquires about money sleepping bag and...

Geniaco

Hello ladies and gentlemen.

I am going to undertake the "path" in a couple of weeks and I would like to find out about 2 doubts.
  • money: more or less how much will it cost me each day?should I take casj or is there any chance to get some money during the walk?like cashpoint?!?!?
  • sleepping bag: do I need one? or in the hostal the provided sheets

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
No one provides sheets, but they all require sheets or a sleeping bag/sack.

Plan for about 30E per day. There are regular ATM machines for your debit card. Be sure you have a 4-digit PIN.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
All the Xunta albergues in Galicia provided sheets and pillowcases in 2010 and again this year, as did every private albergue. Elsewhere, I needed to use my own sleeping bag liner, and in Apr I needed my own sleeping bag regularly. At this time of year you should be able to rely on blankets provided by albergues. You might need to check that blankets are available before you stay.

Many thanks for your help.

I am not bringing any phone or tablet and I won't be able to be in contact with the "base camp".
Are there any hostel that provides you internet access with a pc or laptop? just to send email

There are computers regularly in the albergues, but they seem to break down frequently. Most are coin operated and belong to a third party, so the albergue may not feel a real connection to customer service.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Plan for about 30E per day. There are regular ATM machines for your debit card. Be sure you have a 4-digit PIN.
And an additional card if possible. I always run into difficulty when out of the country even when I advise my bank when I travel. A second card saved me.

a) used my debit card for ATM cash withdrawal (informed bank about my euro travel and from which country they can expect withdrawal activity) in Portugal, Spain and UK and worked perfectly fine. Used SouthWestAirlines VISA card of credit card payment (it's a 99$ fee per year, but also saves on those 3% currency exchange fee and other goodies). My back-up card was AMEX and a Mastercard - but never used those.

b) most albergues had disposable pillow covers/sheets (some sort of paper/fiber thingy) that they want you to use - some have blankets as well (but i never used those.) What i brought along was a lightweight silk liner (which i used often as a sheet) and a lightweight down 'blanket'.
http://www.cascadedesigns.com/therm-a-rest/sleeping-bags/vela-blanket/product (this is just a sample, not the one i used) That blanket stored well and did fit into my backpack bottom compartment without problem. Very lightweight too. I was grateful for having this blankie - since some nights were still very cold (in May)
bom caminho !!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I would bring a very lightweight sleeping bag or a somewhat warm sleeping bag liner, such a fleece liner. I'm happy to sleep on the floor if all the beds are full, so I would need a sleeping bag or at the very least, a warm liner, but you may not want to do that and seek a bed elsewhere, such as in a private home, a bed and breakfast or a hotel.

Have a great Camino! :)

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
With this device, you can pack everything you might want (including your fears) irrespective of weight.
I've stopped procrastinating and done my first pack. Was a bit nervous about being under 7kg hand luggage, but on the first try I've come to 5.9kg (13 pounds). (Not counting one set walking...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.