• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Experiences with Golite Jam packs?

nidarosa

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Enjoying the camino since 2009
In my never ending quest to have the lightest possible pack weight when going further afield and taking tent, sleeping mat and stove in addition to my basic or Camino kit, I have decided to try a frameless pack :eek: and have landed on the Golite Jam 50 for its versatile size - compact it to do a Camino Frances type walk, expand it to bring camping gear - plus I like the latest features: chest strap, load lifters and a padded belt.

So I would like to hear any and all experiences, opinions and packing tips regarding the Golite Jam 50 (or even other frameless packs, the general pros and cons). I did a forum search on this but found mostly short mentions from people who said they had tried them or walked with them, but not a lot about what it was like. I realise you have to pack very cleverly to make it work, but how? Heavy at the bottom? Sleeping bag in the bladder compartment? Hiring a donkey? My pack weight if I take one of these will be approx 8 kgs incl a half litre of water. Any comments very much appreciated!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I tested both the 35 and the 50, they are light, thats about it, I found neither comfortable compared to my ventilated frame Gregory Z30.
What I learned is most ultra light frameless packs do a poor job of distributing the weight evenly.

i find the zpack arc blast offers a decent fit with the frame stays out. It is nice to have the option....light with a frame or superlight without it. I think either version is light relative to the golite pack.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The Jam 50 was named best all-around ultralight pack by Backpacker magazine in 2012. I used it for the CF in 2012 and the CdN in 2013 and liked it a lot. I will use it again. But, it is important to organize your stuff carefully. You become very efficient after a few days. I used plastic bags to separate clothes, toiletries and gadgets. Sleeping bag on the bottom, clothes next, then toiletries, then stuff you need during the day with any food on top. The pack cover and rain jacket go in one side pocket, water in the other. I used Sanuk Vagabond sandals for walking around town or the shower and which are flat and fit along each side.

As a generalism for frameless packs, unless at very low packing weights (not likely with a 50 litre pack, BTW) you still need some kind of stiffener to help transfer load to hips. For most folks, that is the sleeping pad or a sit pad. However, if not bringing either, then you're probably going to want to keep your weight quite light or the pack will tend to weigh heavy on your shoulders.

Having said that, as much or more depends on the wearer's fitness level. A stronger, more athletic person would probably handle far more weight in an unstiffened frameless pack than I do. I tend to opt for framed packs, although my next Camino will probably be with an Osprey Talon 33, which I really like for its relatively low weight and adjustable spine (I have a long spine and don't fit many "medium to large" packs).

i find the zpack arc blast offers a decent fit with the frame stays out. It is nice to have the option....light with a frame or superlight without it. I think either version is light relative to the golite pack.
I've contemplated a zpack on several occasions, but haven't found anyone local where I can try it before I buy it. Since I tend to be very finicky about fit, $200+ is more experiment than I'm interested in undertaking on faith.

On the flip side, I think the specs and options for zpacks, along with their use of integrated Cuben Fibre and the carbon fibre stays is ingenuous. A waterproofed, framed pack at non-framed weights is pretty awesome.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Thank you so much for your comments! What I was thinking was to use a roll-up mat as a cylinder inside to give it some shape and then fill it in the order @jayree describes (only not using plastic bags - allergic to early morning rustling). I will be bringing the roll-up anyway - I love to be able to lie down and stretch out when I stop - so it can do double duty. I did try a Jam many years ago and found it too floppy and flimsy then, but with the recently added load lifters and padded hip belt I hope to be able to carry the weight more comfortably.

One reason why I have decided to try a frameless pack is that it brings with it many more weight savings too: if I can use a Golite Jam (or similar) without a stiff frame (saving 660g) then I can lay it flat and put it under my legs at night, on top of the thin roll-up mat, which means that I can take a smaller tent (saving 240g) and I only need a 2/3 length inflatable mat (saving 120g) to be comfortable and warm, which means I can take a lighter and smaller sleeping bag (saving 360g), which means I need less space in the pack, which means I can take a smaller pack, which limits extras ... etc. I agree ordering packs online without trying them first can be a scary prospect, but the total weight saving makes it a very tempting one. Also I ordered direct from Golite at a good price and can return it within a certain time if it is unsuitable.

I did try the Osprey Talon 44, but it wasn't big enough to carry my kit comfortably. A shame, as I really like Osprey's elastic kangaroo stash pocket which will take wet rain gear, spare layers, anything you throw at it. I hope the big pocket on the Golite can be used the same way, for things I need to hand during the day or maybe to stash the tent in without the bag, so I can quickly get it up if it rains, for instance.

Update: I have just returned from an 8 hr walk along the Wirral Way in the sunshine, with 7.7 kgs in the Golite Jam 50. I was uncertain about doing a long full weight trial run but it was surprisingly comfortable, and at times I forgot I had it on! It even gave some ventilation across the back, it didn't stick to me and get too clammy. By putting the rolled up mat over the top, fastened with the single strap, I managed to lift the load lifters just enough to make them useful and that made a huge difference. I am still a bit astonished at how well it worked. 8 kgs is my approximate max weight for the upcoming Wales Coast Path 2 week walk and if it continues to carry like this, it should be an enjoyable walk!

(just in case someone wondered: I am not affiliated with the brand in any way, just very, very pleased!)

Update: I have just returned from an 8 hr walk along the Wirral Way in the sunshine, with 7.7 kgs in the Golite Jam 50. I was uncertain about doing a long full weight trial run but it was surprisingly comfortable, and at times I forgot I had it on! It even gave some ventilation across the back, it didn't stick to me and get too clammy. By putting the rolled up mat over the top, fastened with the single strap, I managed to lift the load lifters just enough to make them useful and that made a huge difference. I am still a bit astonished at how well it worked. 8 kgs is my approximate max weight for the upcoming Wales Coast Path 2 week walk and if it continues to carry like this, it should be an enjoyable walk!

(just in case someone wondered: I am not affiliated with the brand in any way, just very, very pleased!)
Hi, I just bought a Goline Jam 50 purely because of the light weight compared to volume. Can you explain what you mean by 'the load lifters' and how best to wear it?
I'm doing my first camino in September and am not an experienced hiker.
Thanks.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi Mary Kate, the load lifters (I believe there are other words for them too, like tension straps?) are the adjustable straps that go from the top of the back of the pack and down to the shoulder straps. By tightening them, preferably while you are wearing the pack, you pull the weight closer to your back and in my case they help me lift the shoulder straps a little bit off my shoulders so the harness is just keeping the pack upright while the hips take the weight. Mind you for a Camino the 50 seems a bit on the big side ... since you have already bought it I will not recommend you get the 35 instead, but I will recommend you pack the 50 high, not wide, if you see what I mean. Use the straps on the side to compress the volume and pack the Jam upwards, that way the load lifters will be more effective. Or, if you are taking a roll-up mat for sitting on when you rest (you don't really need it to sleep on) and put that across the top, secured by the single top strap, your load lifters get good purchase from that. Please ask again if that came out muddled!

Hi Mary Kate, the load lifters (I believe there are other words for them too, like tension straps?) are the adjustable straps that go from the top of the back of the pack and down to the shoulder straps. By tightening them, preferably while you are wearing the pack, you pull the weight closer to your back and in my case they help me lift the shoulder straps a little bit off my shoulders so the harness is just keeping the pack upright while the hips take the weight. Mind you for a Camino the 50 seems a bit on the big side ... since you have already bought it I will not recommend you get the 35 instead, but I will recommend you pack the 50 high, not wide, if you see what I mean. Use the straps on the side to compress the volume and pack the Jam upwards, that way the load lifters will be more effective. Or, if you are taking a roll-up mat for sitting on when you rest (you don't really need it to sleep on) and put that across the top, secured by the single top strap, your load lifters get good purchase from that. Please ask again if that came out muddled!
Thank you for this. Hope your walk is going well (if you've begun). I thought about the 35L but went for the 50L because I can scrunch it up with the straps and when I need to root around in it I'll have room to do so. I haven't decided on a sleeping bag yet but I wanted enough room for a lightweight one that didn't have to be as small as the price would be high! Also, because it's wider, even with the straps it can be made to fit the carry-on allowance of a rather fussy airline and I wasn't sure the more rigid ones would. However, I do intend to keep my load to 6.5kg max incl food. Now, I just need to learn how to wear it best camino fashion!

Do tell us/me how you got on! I will be doing a shorter walk this summer but with more stuff, still trying to keep the weight as low as I can and am below 8 kg base weight still, even after adding a small tablet PC to read this forum and blog along the way!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I've contemplated a zpack on several occasions, but haven't found anyone local where I can try it before I buy it. Since I tend to be very finicky about fit, $200+ is more experiment than I'm interested in undertaking on faith.

Check out their website----- I think they have a money back guarantee.

Anyway, I'm three days into my Stevenson trail trip and the packs are working great.

New update: The problem with the Wales Coast Path, starting outside Chester, was not the pack, but the track! It was mainly tarmac and very hard on the feet, even with a light pack. We got to Conwy before we gave up and went to Betws-y-coed instead to do some proper trail walking. The Golite carried beautifully, equally well as - or dare I say better than! - my framed Osprey Aura, as long as I packed it upwards. It's not that finicky to pack it if I have given that impression, just lay the back of it on a flat surface and stuff it, then tighten the side straps before you stand it up. Easy peasy. The air does actually flow across your back as well, very pleased still.

I have the 35L and loving it! My total pack weight is 6.5 kg with water/snacks, and so far I've done 15 kms hike with that weight and carries like a charm! This pack does fit all my stuff for October Camino, including blanket/silk sheet sleep system, puff jacket, rain gear, xtra pair shoes (Crocks), toiletries, change of cloths, water bladder, etc...

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
My husband uses a GoLite Jam pack and he loves it. Me? Like Koilife says, I find it drags on the shoulders. I need a bit more structure to keep the weight on my hips. I also found the lack of padding on shoulder and hip bands a problem. I swear by my 30 liter Jansport Tree Frog, my companion over thousands of miles!

No sooner had I read this post when someone GAVE me a brand new Jam 50. I was skeptical until I packed it (50% of the equation when researching gear). If packing ain't easy, I can't be bothered. Anyway it feels pretty good with all my Camino gear. I'm not sure about the size though. This one is a small and though I am only 5' 4" I've been told I have a very long torso. It's hard to measure oneself. Any thoughts on fit?

Mine is a medium, even though I'm tall, but then I have a short torso ... I sometimes have problems with my shoulders and neck and really need the hips to take the weight and the load lifters/tension straps to lift the shoulder straps clear of the tense muscles. As long as the straps fit you and you pack upwards (see post above) to give the lifters something to work with, you should be good. If the pack sags down and the weight ends up on your shoulders it could be a problem over time. Have you got access to a medium one to try?

I tried to pack my 50 litre with the (minimalist and light) Camino kit yesterday and found that the pack felt best when I used the ComPacktor clips at the bottom, effectively reducing the volume of the pack and making the 'packing upwards' bit much easier and the pack more comfortable.Packing is also a lot easier if you use drybags and develop a system for what goes in first and last, and then stuff soft things in between them. That way the pack will feel more or less the same every day too, even without a stiff frame.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I don't have access to a medium to try. Their retail shops are so limited. All in Colorado I think. I could order one and I guess send it back if it's too big... But that's time and energy not to mention money.... Thanks though, I'll play around with it a little more.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
I've stopped procrastinating and done my first pack. Was a bit nervous about being under 7kg hand luggage, but on the first try I've come to 5.9kg (13 pounds). (Not counting one set walking...
Hi there! I was on the fence about poles bc I've never used them and as mentioned previously, brand new to hiking. But because I'm in treatment for breast cancer and as such have a decent amount...
Starting our Camino on May 6. Super excited! These forums have been awesome! Doing Coastal Portuguese from Porto with my daughter and her girlfriend. Definitely packing good lightweight rain...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.