• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Explosion in a mine near Pola de Gordon

peregrina2000

Staff member
When I walked the Camino del Salvador in June 2012, there were demonstrations everywhere in support of the miners, whose benefits were being drastically cut by the Spanish government. The town of Pola de Gordon was particularly vocal -- its town hall was draped with a huge sign in favor of mines and mining.

Today that area suffered the worse mining accident in Spain in 18 years. Six miners are dead and more are injured. http://politica.elpais.com/politica/2013/10/28/actualidad/1382969639_822386.html

May they rest in peace.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Very sad. When I was there in August all the mining towns were covered in protest graffiti about mine closures and cutbacks, when mining dried up in Scotland I remember the devastation it caused for years and had a lot of sympathy. For this to happen now on top of all of that must be really painful for the communities. Sympathies go to all involved.

I hesitated hitting the "like" button as it doesn't seem appropriate so thanks for posting this.

So very sorry to hear about this tragedy.
Thoughts and sympathy to all their families and friends.
We just had an email from Rosario, peregrina, who says they are all friends and colleagues of Ender.
So special thoughts for you tonight too Ender.

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I realized I wrote "Pola de Lena" in the title of the thread when I should have written "Pola de Gordon" but I can't figure out how to change the title. Can Susanna help me and change the title?

There seems to be something about mining communities no matter what country they are in. The job seems to pass from father to son. I don't know if I can really understand it from the outside, but that strong bond must come in part from the danger of the job and the way in which life is so much more obviously fragile. The videos and news reports are heart-wrenching. And I just looked in on the Spanish forum to see that Ender lost a friend in this accident, and that the parents of some of the deceased were his colleagues when he was working as a miner before retiring.

Heartfelt sympathy Ender - if I have the privilege of meeting you on the Salvador next May I'll bring you a hug.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I'm very sorry to hear about the accident, thank you for telling us Laurie. It's not long ago since I was in the area, so it's feels like it happened somewhere close. My thoughts goes to everyone involved, I feel so sorry for them. And I'm sending lots of sympathy to Ender.

It is the pit where Ender used to work, in Santa Lucía, a hard blow for the mining comunity, which is already suffering enough as pits are gradually closed. My deepest sympathy to all brave miners in León and Asturias, and to the their families.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
It is the pit where Ender used to work, in Santa Lucía, a hard blow for the mining comunity, which is already suffering enough as pits are gradually closed. My deepest sympathy to all brave miners in León and Asturias, and to the their families.

This is so sad. I am in Spain for a few days and the papers all have the human interest stories about the 6 who died and who they were. One guy who was supposed to have retired last August, one who wasn't working where the "grisu" leaked (not sure what the translation is but it's the gas, mainly methane (?) that makes the canary squawk) but who ran to try to save his friends and was killed, some young daredevil types, some militant miners trying to save their livelihoods, etc. Apparently the politicians who tried to come to the services were not let in -- there is a lot of bitterness about all of the cuts and some suggestion that the safety procedures were also the victim of budget cuts.. The Camino del Salvador is in mourning.

Last edited:
A tragedy!
And every year the same procedure: somewhere in the world some accident in a mine, many deaths and sorrow...
Then the brave miners descend again and risk their lives.
Why? Why can't their situation be improved? (I mean, we live in the 21st century with plenty of progress, - how come that there are still every year miners dying?)

I recently saw a pretty good dance performance in Brussels about the hard conditions of miners - great "hommage" for these men.

Last edited:
Another mine tragedy.
The problem is always hitting a bulb of CH4 (grisú in Spanish, methane in English).

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.