• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Fisterra Albergues in the news

Zippety

Time of past OR future Camino
Started 13 September, 2013!
Yoikes and Away!
Both on TV and in the newspaper there has been news coverage about Albergues in Fisterra. As I do not understand Spanish, I do not what is going on. I have to guess it is adverse. Anybody know?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
From what I understand the Guardia Civil in Corbubión conducted a wide scale operation starting last June of the albergues in the area. Due to various reasons such as tax evasion, no licensure or poor hygiene 9 albergues between Dumbría and Finisterre were forced to close.
Here is a link to the article: http://www.lavozdegalicia.es/notici...gues-ilegales-camino/0003_201310G18P12991.htm

And the article says this is just the first step and the police will conduct another inspection in the future.

Buen Camino!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Nine hostels closed down illegal Camino de Santiago in the Costa da Morte
these establishments did not meet legal requirements or sufficient health to develop the work of hosting
Travel|10.18.2013 - 09:55 h

Un-peregrino-a-punto-de-finali_54180145139_51351706917_600_226.jpg

A pilgrim about to finish the Camino de SantiagoSantiago Tourism

A Coruña.(EFE). - The Civil Guard has closed nine hostelsin the Costa da Morte in an operation to eradicate illegal accommodation had proliferated lately in the area and were usually associated with activities related to the Camino de Santiago.

As reported by the Civil Guard, these establishments did not meet legal requirements or sufficient health to develop the work of hosting. Besides closed premises, the agents checked other legal establishments and concocted about 60 administrative complaints for violations related to health, tourism law or public finances.

Municipalities as Dumbría, Cee, Corcuvion or Finisterre were inspected thoroughly to correct irregularities being committed and had shown, on several occasions, both restaurateurs of the area as pilgrims who were invited by their owners, to use the illegal establishments.

From the makers of the operation follows the expectation that next year will be a second phase of the inspection in order to completely eradicate this practice.

Leer más:http://www.lavanguardia.com/viajes/...amino-santiago-costa-morte.html#ixzz2iAhkqxSX

Thank you for the information. Nine establishments seems like a lot and must have removed a lot of beds for pilgrims , does anyone have any knowledge of the premises in question ?

From the original newspaper article it seems the so called businesses were flats more than albergues.

Buen Camino!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Looks like they are cracking down on the old ladies who meet pilgrims coming into town and ask them if they need a room, then lead them by the hand to stay in the spare room at their private homes.

Somehow the tax authorities and the Guardia Civil, not to mention the hoteliers in the area, are concerned the pilgrims will be mistreated, or subjected to unsanitary conditions or food cooked in a kitchen that has not been duly inspected. The pilgrims themselves, the Voz says, could be criminals on the loose, and neither the host nor the police know who they are because the host is not reporting all their info. to police.

Methinks it´s another case of the "legitimate" hoteliers using the authorities to stomp out the traditional "little guy" competitor.

Looks like they are cracking down on the old ladies who meet pilgrims coming into town and ask them if they need a room, then lead them by the hand to stay in the spare room at their private homes.

Somehow the tax authorities and the Guardia Civil, not to mention the hoteliers in the area, are concerned the pilgrims will be mistreated, or subjected to unsanitary conditions or food cooked in a kitchen that has not been duly inspected. The pilgrims themselves, the Voz says, could be criminals on the loose, and neither the host nor the police know who they are because the host is not reporting all their info. to police.

Methinks it´s another case of the "legitimate" hoteliers using the authorities to stomp out the traditional "little guy" competitor.

Yep

Buen Camino!

there were still lots of "old ladies" that met us at the bus in Finisterre a few days ago! Also a number in Santiago at the Cathedral and a few other even the train station somewhere after we finished the Camino!! We had already booked places, so they lost interest in us pretty quickly!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
there were still lots of "old ladies" that met us at the bus in Finisterre a few days ago! Also a number in Santiago at the Cathedral and a few other even the train station somewhere after we finished the Camino!! We had already booked places, so they lost interest in us pretty quickly!

Actually some of these "old ladies" by the oficina del peregrinos and in the vicinity of rua de vilar are owners of legitimate pensions or their commissioned agents.

Actually some of these "old ladies" by the oficina del peregrinos and in the vicinity of rua de vilar are owners of legitimate pensions or their commissioned agents.
Piogaw I wasn't doubting their legitimacy - only commenting that they were still there! I had no problem with them, and if I hadn't already booked I probably would have stayed at one of them after the number of times we spent ages trying to figure out where our hotel or hostel was!!!

Piogaw I wasn't doubting their legitimacy - only commenting that they were still there! I had no problem with them, and if I hadn't already booked I probably would have stayed at one of them after the number of times we spent ages trying to figure out where our hotel or hostel was!!!

Hello ella,

I am never doubting you. I have just mentioned in passing. I have spent long periods in santiago and do see many of them. I am also wondering whether some of these private accommodation (rental in private rooms) are just trying to survive by taking in peregrinos due to the hard time and economic crisis in spain.

Buen camino and god bless.

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
did the cleaning affect refugio municipal in vilaserio? some of my favourtie memories are from there. it would be real sad if it was closed down.

Hi Caminka, legal municipal albergues were not involved. The old school house in Vilaserio is still open. I stayed there in August for the second time and although it now has a few beds upstairs in addition to the mats I am quite surprised by your comment. Most pilgrims look around and move on.

I'm glad to hear that refugio municipal is till up and running!
that is exactly it. people that stop there are often special. last year I had dinner with a french guy who came from france barefoot, his german girlfriend who he met in santiago just a few days prior, and another french guy and a german girl who came on the coastal route. the first french guy somehow acquired from the caretaker an electrical plaque and a big pot and somewhere got a huge pumpkin, so we put together all our food and made a thick veggie soup. we picniced it in the big upstairs room on a blanket, two eating from the halves of the big pumpkin, one from a pot and one from a small bowl. one of the most special evenings of my six months' journey.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all, At this stage looks like we are going to finish in SdC on Friday, our flight home is only Monday night. The weather forecast doesnt look to be promising - showers over the whole weekend...
Hi all We are walking the reverse Camino from Muxia to Santiago via Fisterra. Any tips or information to help us on our way?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back