• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Food and water

stoneJumper

My wife and I are leaving for Madrid to begin this Camino next weekend. I have tried to check as much info as possible on the Camino Madrid but I crave assurances that there are lots of spots to buy food for lunches and places to eat in the evenings along the way. Also: how much water have people found they need to carry to get to the next spots where potable water is available?

Any tips of stretches which we should look out for would be appreciated.

Thanks for the assistance.

Jim K.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Unless you have some unusual dietary requirements/preferences, I've never heard of anyone having trouble finding food along the way or in the evenings.
Unless it is a long and hot stage, I have found that one bottle of water is sufficient between refills. On the few long and hot stages I carry an extra bottle in my backpack's pockets.
Have faith, food and water will not be a problems!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi -

I walked the Camino de Madrid in 2009, and it's one of my favorite routes. The only stretch where you really need to ensure you have a full water bottle is Cercedilla to Segovia over the Puerto de Fuenfria. Other than that, there are plenty of places on the route to replenish food and water supplies.

In September your water requirements won't be as much as if you were walking in July or August, so I would just go with a 750 ml. bottle. I would suggest more if you were alone, but when two are walking together, having two water bottles is a bit more reassuring if one is thirstier than the other.

Make sure to take the detour to Valladolid - it's a pretty and interesting city.

Have you downloaded Johnnie Walker's guide "Madrid to Sahagun"? It will be very useful to you, and you can download it for a donativo at

http://www.csj.org.uk/MadridRoute2010.pdf

Go well and safely, and buen camino!

lynne

Hi, Jim,

I walked the Camino de Madrid in spring, so water wasn't as much of an issue, but I did carry 3liters with me on the walk over the mountains to Segovia. We met several day hikers on that walk, and they showed us good drinking spots, though, so I didn't really need to have that much. The last couple of hours into Segovia is where you will need the water the most because it's wide open, treeless and sunny.

I had a day or two when I didn't find any bars or shops open along the way. From Segovia to Santa Maria el Real, for instance, is 32 kms, and it was a Sunday. There were bars in many of the places we walked through, but not one was open. I always take fruit, nuts, and yoghurt in my pack, since I eat my main meal when I arrive at my destination. That was almost never a problem. The only town I found with no restaurant or bar serving food was in Castromonte, but the 91 year old bar owner and his wife got some eggs from their chicken coop, sliced some chorizo, and added a salad and bread for me. Castromonte has no grocery either, but there is a traveling truck that comes through, and I was lucky enough to come upon it. The other places I stayed all had some kind of shop, but Sundays are hit or miss in terms of shop openings.

In general, I would say that you shouldn't worry about water too much, not like the Vdlp, because you will be going through many small towns were there are always a few people even if there are no bars or shops, and I think you could always ask them for a refill for your water bottle. I'd bring at least 1.5 L just to be safe.

Buen camino to you and your wife, I really enjoyed this Camino. Are you starting from the Plaza de Castilla? I assume you have Johnnie Walker's online guide, and I have a few updates that haven't yet been incorporated into the guide. I'd be happy to email them to you if you send me a PM. Laurie

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Thanks very much for the helpful input. We do have Johnny Walker's Guide which we will annotate with the notes and suggestions made here.

Buen Camino

Jim

Be warned, it is VERY hot on the camino Madrid at the moment, 36C yesterday.At present Im in Segovia, walked Fuencarral-Tes Cantos,TC-Manzanares,Man-Cercedilla then train to Segovia, intending to return sans pack for the stage over the mountains. But its still burning hot, so I have to make a plan B.
Hope it cools down soon.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi, sojourner,

Sending you lots of wishes for cooler weather. Those last kms into Segovia are unshaded, flat, and neverending, and would be totally brutal in the temps you have described. Hope you are able to figure out a way to enjoy the wooded walk up from Cercedilla and along the ridge, the temperature should be much more humane going up.

Segovia's not a bad place to be stranded, though, so enjoy yourself whatever comes your way. You've got lots more unshaded territory to cross, but I'm hoping that you'll find the weather more cooperative. Enjoy all those great albergues after Segovia!

Buen camino, Laurie

Please be careful. It is hot in Spain at the moment. There are days on the Route from Madrid where you should carry water for the day or be prepared to knock a door and ask - as has been said. Also it is advisable on some of the stages to carry a packed lunch. But overall this is a beautiful route. Enjoy :)

According to my experience, it is good to have enough water and food for whole journey when you start your journey, thats the other that you can get water and food along the way. In summer, we need more water compare then other season.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

A couple days ago I started the Camino Madrid from Segovia. Some of you may recall that I posted a few months ago looking for a relatively flat Camino to test out my body to find out if I could...
We planning a Camino Mixto of Camino Madrid/Salvador/Primitivo starting in early April next year. April 13-20 is Semana Santa next year We will probably fly in to Barcelona on 4th April and play...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back