• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

FREE Travel Insurance

Time of past OR future Camino
2006 to date: Over 21 Caminos. See signature line
I've never taken out travel insurance.
But as some of you know, I got stuck in Spain last year and was unable to get home when my sister in law was dying. The ticket home was so far out of my budget, I couldn't do it.

This year, someone suggested joining Hostelling International USA, and so I looked into it.

I just returned from purchasing my membership.
It was $18 for a senior membership and for that I got a basic travel insurance policy with an option to upgrade.

You can read about it and see the links at my blog at:
http://caminosantiago2.blogspot.com/2014/04/free-travel-insurance.html

I just thought I'd share.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Annie:
Thanks for this. My 16 year old is covered for free, so this is great piece of mind for us.
As always, you are a wealth of Camino information.
Rambler

Hola Annie - whilst it looks like a great package - I will make an assumption that it is only available for US citizens or people resident in the US.
As for the rest of us - well as one who travels to the exotic places - the wilds of Africa; the back-blocks of SE Asia; Sth America - its full travel insurance (including medical evacuation home). Our government has taken out adverts on the social media (especially for those under 25) to remind them that their government is not a charity and if you are travelling outside of the country its YOUR responsibility to cover your accident/health insurance. In fact the mantra is fast becoming - if you cannot afford the travel insurance, you cannot afford to travel. It might be tough, but the tax payers (who can't afford an overseas trip) are getting sick and tired of parents demanding that the government fly their child home from India/China/Bali after they broke their leg riding a bike (motor or otherwise) - with no helmet or other protection.:rolleyes:

(PS: I hope you did in fact get home in time to see your sister-in-law.) Cheers;)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hola Annie - whilst it looks like a great package - I will make an assumption that it is only available for US citizens or people resident in the US.
As for the rest of us - well as one who travels to the exotic places - the wilds of Africa; the back-blocks of SE Asia; Sth America - its full travel insurance (including medical evacuation home). Our government has taken out adverts on the social media (especially for those under 25) to remind them that their government is not a charity and if you are travelling outside of the country its YOUR responsibility to cover your accident/health insurance. In fact the mantra is fast becoming - if you cannot afford the travel insurance, you cannot afford to travel. It might be tough, but the tax payers (who can't afford an overseas trip) are getting sick and tired of parents demanding that the government fly their child home from India/China/Bali after they broke their leg riding a bike (motor or otherwise) - with no helmet or other protection.:rolleyes:

(PS: I hope you did in fact get home in time to see your sister-in-law.) Cheers;)

Actually, I didn't make it home in time :( which is why I am getting travel insurance this year.
Another options for affordable travel insurance in the USA is AAA.
Not sure about other country's programs.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Last year I ended up spending 8 days in the hospital at Santiago de Compostella, luckly I had insurance but it was still a hassle with delays and getting them to admit resposability.
This year I am paying for it which is costing an extra $145 for pre existing condition. Please check the fine line as you maybe caught out as I have gone into it deeply for this trip.
If you have had any or have a condition, surgery etc they may claim a the pre existing clause, also have to make sure you list all medications.

Also take a phone as very few doctors or nurses speak english.

Trevor

Last year I ended up spending 8 days in the hospital at Santiago de Compostella, luckly I had insurance but it was still a hassle with delays and getting them to admit resposability.
This year I am paying for it which is costing an extra $145 for pre existing condition. Please check the fine line as you maybe caught out as I have gone into it deeply for this trip.
If you have had any or have a condition, surgery etc they may claim a the pre existing clause, also have to make sure you list all medications.

Also take a phone as very few doctors or nurses speak english.

Trevor

So glad you're going back, Trevor!

For an insurance that cheap, its not smart to leave home without out.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Here in Australia there are some banks who cover you for travel insurance if you pay for your flights with their credit card. (It depends on what level you are at, Gold, Platinum, Diamond) The fares have to come to more than $1 000 though which is the case from this part of the world. It certainly saved me a few hundred dollars. You can check it out on their websites. I did but also confirmed with them via email that I was covered and kept their email.

So glad you're going back, Trevor!
Hi Maggie
Todays just been flat, my daughter has busted up with her partner of 10 years, she is staying with us till she sorts things out. I wish I was having a drink with you at SJPD
I hope the next few months pass quickly my feet are getting very itchy

In the UK, Nationwide Building Society give free annual travel insurance to account holders under 75 years old, with at least £750 paid into account each month - salary,etc .

Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
I suspect not.

Travel insurance is relatively cheap in Europe as there are cross border agreements and the hospital costs would not all have to be paid and they are mainly covering the flight costs and a small amount of health costs. I have not checked mine but there would probably be a payment limit outside the EU. As well as this many people have travel insurance separately either as part of their salary package or personally so the cost if there is any is split.

In the USA they would have to cover all costs.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
In the UK, Nationwide Building Society give free annual travel insurance to account holders under 75 years old, with at least £750 paid into account each month - salary,etc .
Yes, some banks/building societies are very good like this. Still be sure to list any pre-existing conditions. Our paid for insurance had so much 'wriggle room' that we were glad that we only lost our deposit this year - it wasn't worth the time/postage/cost etc claiming for a very small amount and the paperwork bore no resemblance to our policy.

Hi Maggie
Todays just been flat, my daughter has busted up with her partner of 10 years, she is staying with us till she sorts things out. I wish I was having a drink with you at SJPD
I hope the next few months pass quickly my feet are getting very itchy

Hey Trevor, Mckenzie and will be in SJPdP a week from Friday - we will raise a glass of wine for you and your daughter. In the meantime, maybe she would want to join you on the Camino in the fall - father-daughter trip could be just the ticket. :)

I ended up paying $95.98 for Allianz at the time I purchased my airplane tickets (from the U.S.) and the coverage is:
Baggage Delay Coverage $500.00; Emergency Medical and Dental $10,000.00; Trip Cancellation Protection $1,323.90; Travel/Trip Delay Coverage $500.00; Trip Interruption Protection $1,323.90. I felt that was reasonable.

* USD per person unless noted otherwise

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
A bit more about the Hostelling International membership and travel insurance...

The cost is $28 per year if you're under age 55, $18 per year for 55 and older. You can upgrade the policy to get more coverage, but the prices aren't really competitive to other policies on the market. Be sure to read all the fine print! (PDF attached below for free policy)

The insurance comes with the annual membership for Hostelling international, which in and of itself will save you $3 per night at most of their locations worldwide. The membership also comes with a coupon for a free night at select US hostels. You can purchase the membership at any hostel in the US, or online at http://www.hiusa.org/membership

There are about 60 HI hostels in the US...often located in perfect places to practice your shared dormitory skills and get in some pre-Camino walks.

(Note: This may sound like a commercial plug, but it's not. I used to work for this organization, so I know it well and I believe in what they stand for. But I don't benefit if anyone buys a membership!)

Attachments

• aig_travelguard.pdf
    105.5 KB · Views: 15
just clicked on your link, nancy, but see nothing indicating a free travel insurance policy with membership. even searched within the HI site, but came up short. perhaps they have done away with it...

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

https://www.lodgify.com/blog/es/observatorio-lodgify-febrero-2024/?utm_campaign=ES%20-%20Content%20Newsletter&utm_medium=email&_hsmi=298376570&_hsenc=p2ANqtz--KQkkCIbmVh11e1l-9P2514JyKrTN8_nNki9ioi...
Have you had Communion while attending the Cruz de Ferro?
Hi there Can anyone tell me where on the Camino Frances there is a mural on a wall depicting “the three wise men”. I’ve admired it on several occasions, over the years, but I can’t remember where...
I wonder how many,if any get caught up in the idea...or ideal of the Camino To be sure it captured my imagination and reinforced by videos and pictures. I am quick to seek and find the good in...
What does the abbreviation "Rda" mean in Spanish? In context: "Calle la Rda, Villalcázar de Sirga". I have googled (of course), but I've obviously not been asking the right questions, as I've...
Hello, We are planning to hike the Camino with our young children in September. We aren't tied to a specific route, but we only have 10 days to walk and our kids can only do ~10 miles per day...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.