• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

French pilgrim arrested for graffiti on Camino mojones

Status
Not open for further replies.

peregrina2000

Staff member
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I am considering bring chalk so that I can write a note or two, but it will last only until the next rain.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
According to this article, a 33 year old French pilgrim on the Camino Primitivo has been arrested for painting his particular sign (roughly the infinity sign with an arrow going through it) on numerous signs and camino mojones (I think the word is bollards). Some pictures and the full article here:

http://elprogreso.galiciae.com/nova/350662-imputan-peregrino-frances-pintar-mojones-camino-primitivo

No objections from this peregrina!

No objections from me either!!! It's hard to imagine that a pilgrim would vandalise the Camino. Don't these people learn anything from walking the way???

I remember the last load of drivel we had to read on the last part of the Frances; someone thought it profound to scribble the lyrics of a John Lennon song on every rubbish bin (appropriately) over several kilometres.

Leave the permanent markers and spray cans at home!!!

Last edited:
:eek: I hope you are joking.
:)
Yes actually! But at a sort of pop up art evening in my city called Nuit Blanche, an artist created what is know as "throw up art" which is graffiti to the rest of us... Made of colorful icing sugar frosting. It was beautiful. And it only lasted until it rained. I thought it was brilliant.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Yes actually! But at a sort of pop up art evening in my city called Nuit Blanche, an artist created what is know as "throw up art" which is graffiti to the rest of us... Made of colorful icing sugar frosting. It was beautiful. And it only lasted until it rained. I thought it was brilliant.
It may not rain for a month. Until then, do the ants and flies reign supreme?

Last edited by a moderator:
No objections from me either!!! It's hard to imagine that a pilgrim would vandalise the Camino. Don't these people learn anything from walking the way???

I remember the last load of drivel we had to read on the last part of the Frances; someone thought it profound to scribble the lyrics of a John Lennon song on every rubbish bin (appropriately) over several kilometres.

I found that many pilgrims defaced along the Camino from dropped trash, markers and the outside toilet and paper left behind.
I met a young man from Ireland who was walking and picking up trash along the way. His name is Rory he walked last September / October

It may not rain for a month. Until then, do the ants and flies rain supreme?
Rains here, where I saw the icing throw up, on a much more regular basis. Nuit Blanch is in late September or early October and it rains in Toronto in the fall.

I am not encouraging leaving graffiti ...or notes of encouragement to friends walking a day behind... But if one felt so inclined chalk would be a better less permanent option then paint or a marker.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
He should be made to clean every one of them, if that is possible or do community service on Camino routes, as well as a fine.

Or just leave a note at the next albergue.............. and let´s not forget the cell phone all or almost all carry. :)

Ondo Ibili !

A selection of Camino Jewellery
The graffiti all over the steel figures up at Alto de Perdon was also a real disappointment.

Last edited:
I just realised that my post could have read an another way so deleted it.
But for me I'm not a big fan of Graffiti but sometimes if it is creative enough it does lighten up public spaces. In the park near where I live there is a wall which has been provided for Graffiti, sometimes the work is very creative and beautiful. But more often not on the Camino it is just naff statements of 'so and so where here, add date' or ' so and so on tour' and it is an eyesore.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Lot of home made crosses made of twigs stuck in RPG fences along the Camino--Graffitti???

I honestly never read graffitti along the Camino (French Way) worth the effort... it did not looked like art nor worthy literature. It looked like vandalism ; sad. One of the Albergue at Villares de Orbigo had the right idea; they supply the media and the space to exhibit pilgrim's art.

Lot of home made crosses made of twigs stuck in RPG fences along the Camino--Graffitti???

I don't like those either Xin, or the piles of stones. It is people asserting ownership over the environment. I get particularly irate about the stones piled on the concrete distance markers and bollards - thus preventing a weary pilgrim from resting on them.
My guiding principle is to walk softly on the earth.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Glad to see everyone supports this arrest! Agree, make him clean up after himself and other people.
Last year moving from the Primitivo to the Frances for just one day it was really ugly to see the graffiti and stolen shells on the Frances.

The Camino is many things to many people; some religious, some spiritual and some just superstitious. Many pilgrims, past, present and, undoubtedly future make the pilgrimage with a specific intent: to carry a rock symbolic of their sins and deposit it at the Cruz de Ferro, in remembrance of the deceased, or one to infirm to walk that is left at a specific location that may have meaning. Whether is a stone, a cross, a hat, or a scallop shell each and every item has significance for one, or for many. Regardless of your particular situation...this is their Camino.

Arn, your moderate view is welcome.
However there is an ocean of difference between the pilgrim on the camino who leaves a small item or token at say, for example, the Cruz de Ferro and a graffito artist who spray-paints symbols, signs and "meaningful" messages wherever.
Sadly the graffito "artist" is behaving no better than the way in which a dog treats a lamp post.

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
He should be made to clean every one of them, if that is possible or do community service on Camino routes, as well as a fine.
Send him to the French forign legion for ten years and than a further 20 in The Bastille. And if he is still unrepentant sentence him to 1 year of eating typical English food,he should be sorted by then.

The Camino is many things to many people; some religious, some spiritual and some just superstitious. Many pilgrims, past, present and, undoubtedly future make the pilgrimage with a specific intent: to carry a rock symbolic of their sins and deposit it at the Cruz de Ferro, in remembrance of the deceased, or one to infirm to walk that is left at a specific location that may have meaning. Whether is a stone, a cross, a hat, or a scallop shell each and every item has significance for one, or for many. Regardless of your particular situation...this is their Camino.

Defacing public property has nothing to do with the Camino. It just shows lack of respect. And lack of education as well.

If this person wants to spray paint something I suggest he start by stay painting his mum´s home. See if she likes it.

Ondo Ibili !

Sometimes we are overwhelmed by our need to be unique, perhaps pick up a stone and put it on a mojone as if it is not just road gravel easily at hand that really means nothing compared to a stone from home left at the Cruz de Ferro. Perhaps it is a defense against the truth that no matter how many words we write, texts we send, or conversations we have, no one will ever know us completely. Each person is unique, and we fight it all the time because the concept is so frightening! Spray paint just says it louder and is more permanent: "I am here, and I count."

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Lovely flowery language squire, does it mean that if one considers dumping old cars at artistic and meaningful points along the camino and painting them in significant colours, then its OK to go ahead and do it? Or Tracy Emin could come from London and leave her unmade bed in the street outside every Albergue or hostal that she stays at. Because that seems to be what you are implying..What this graffiti artist is doing is somewhat delinquent and is of no value to anyone.

Arn, I understand the very strong emotions that people may have. But as adult we realise that often our own needs and desires are secondary. They are secondary to the needs of the less able, the less powerful, the needs of the community as a whole, the needs of the future. We learn self control. We learn to delay gratification (says she, reaching for a chocolate!). Well, we try. In the case of the Camino, what seems like a small thing becomes huge when multiplied by the numbers involved. Imagine the state of the Cathedral if everyone left a little "offering" inside.

For myself, the older I get the less I invest inanimate objects with significance. I've never left a stone on the Cross de Ferro.

Lovely flowery language squire, does it mean that if one considers dumping old cars at artistic and meaningful points along the camino and painting them in significant colours, then its OK to go ahead and do it? Or Tracy Emin could come from London and leave her unmade bed in the street outside every Albergue or hostal that she stays at. Because that seems to be what you are implying..What this graffiti artist is doing is somewhat delinquent and is of no value to anyone.
Another Walker, may I suggest two things: 1. Since you obviously haven't read many of my replies on other topics, you might find that there is a recurring theme...the Camino IS a very personal endeavor and, the Camino has a way of dealing with issues, both good and bad. 2. Taking my reply out of context (stones, crosses, etc.) and inserting the specious equivalent (old cars and Emin's unmade bed) is disingenuous at best.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I think it was in 2011, or otherwise 2009, we met up with a couple of really nice Spaniards. When they were a couple of days into their Pilgrimage which started at Roncesvalles, his mother died. They went back home and perhaps a week later, they returned from where they had left off. So far, so good!
Whet did he do? I think he was obsessed because he write on everything MAMI and the date of her passing: 11.09 + 20?? ( can't remember the year). I was really upset and wondered how one could go along defacing, not just the marker stones, but also a load if other objects. Anne

I don't like this graffiti and I am glad he was arrested and hopefully will perform some kind of community service. However, the entire camino is a created built environment that has attained its ritual pilgrimage status through use. The placement of stones, twigs, and yes graffiti is a part of the built environment of the camino and can contribute to the ritualization of the road. A church is just a building until it is put into use. I have seen numerous examples of medieval graffiti etched into the walls of churches and structures all over the Camino Frances. Should they be removed? When I first walked, I was horrified to see bright yellow painted arrows painted onto 1000 year old structures! I hope the persons responsible for that have been arrested and served community service.;)

€149,-
Horrible graffiti.
The vandal obviously feels a need to be recognised and his regular life is not fulfilling and satisfying enough for him. Hope he gets a big community service punishment.

Two of the nicest pilgrims I ever met were a pair of French octogenarians armed with trash bags and trash piker uppers who spent two weeks every year (!) walking the meseta picking up trash left by pilgrims and this after unsuccessful attempts to remove graffiti in other stretches of the Camino, soap and water don't work they said.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Yes, we saw the "Imagine" lyrics. Quite annoying.

I thought the graffiti in Ponferrada was the worst of all on the Camino but obviously the town has embraced the "artists" and asked them to paint some positive murals.
What class would one put the attached graffiti? I found it inspirational. It is a poem by a Basque writer and you can find the original Spanish version upon entering Najera.

Attachments

• DSCN0357.JPG
    DSCN0357.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 39
I thought the graffiti in Ponferrada was the worst of all on the Camino but obviously the town has embraced the "artists" and asked them to paint some positive murals.
What class would one put the attached graffiti? I found it inspirational. It is a poem by a Basque writer and you can find the original Spanish version upon entering Najera.

Well there's a difference between art which the community endorses and someone just scrawling junk any old place. So I think your attachment is great.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Well there's a difference between art which the community endorses and someone just scrawling junk any old place. So I think your attachment is great.

Exactly. It isn't "graffiti" if the property owner encourages or agrees to it.

There are many municipalities which encourage people to post messages in public squares allotted for that purpose. The funniest I saw was a park in China where Mothers would post pictures of their adult children in an effort to get them married and out of the house! :)

At first, I got it mixed up with 'cajones'. Oh, my command (or lack thereof) of the Spanish language will get me in trouble yet!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Graffiti is in the eye of the beholder.

We should all be complying with the Spanish laws that govern our behavior while in Spain. I am not sure exactly what the laws are but it appears to me that it is OK to weave a cross in a fence with sticks, pile rocks on way-markers, create piles of rocks (cairns), create labyrinths or stone arrow markers etc.

Graffiti, with paint or markers appears to be illegal.

While I personally might find some of the legal activities unattractive or distasteful, I would not want to deny someone their legal right to express themselves. No matter what their motivation.

Ultreya,
Joe

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I would just say that I think that a much better way to write a note to someone is to write a note to someone. You can put it on top of the mojon and have the names written in large letters. Works fine.
I wrote a note to two friends in one village, hoping they would find it and see I had gone ahead to the next village. I wrote the note on paper and put it under a stone on a seat. It seems that my note was noticed by some locals: when my friends turned up, they were shown the note. I assume the locals had been showing the note to everyone who arrived before them as well, until finally my friends saw it!!!
Margaret

Well I don't like the scribbling on everything and the arrows here were found on almost anything but sometimes they actually was the only arrows I found in some places when I was almost thinking that I had gone wrong somewhere. So I was both upset over the arrows (on appropriate things) and thankful that they were there. I did an Instagram post with one of them writing "I wonder who has painted all these arrows", now I know. I did notice that they stopped after Lugo and then I saw just one or two after that. I kind of liked the symbol, thought of it as "never stop, just walk, doesn't matter where you started" or something like that.
10522862_551558138304731_1373863159_n.jpg

A selection of Camino Jewellery
To all the pilgrims who have or are marking a foreign country with grafitti, I call it grafilthy, what are you thinking! You are the guests of a Spain. Do you go to your mothers home and tag her walls!

According to this article, a 33 year old French pilgrim on the Camino Primitivo has been arrested for painting his particular sign (roughly the infinity sign with an arrow going through it) on numerous signs and camino mojones (I think the word is bollards). Some pictures and the full article here:

http://elprogreso.galiciae.com/nova/350662-imputan-peregrino-frances-pintar-mojones-camino-primitivo

No objections from this peregrina!
My wife and I completed our Camino (Sarria to Santiago) last year and we were appalled, along the way, by the inane graffiti on the route markers. Another perhaps more worrying thing were the cyclists traveling at speed from behind without warning. Some had the courtesy to audibly signal their coming and in passing to mention that other were behind also..Many did not..
I always thought, until then, it was the walk that was for the soul not the race to the finish.
Buen Camino

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
Yes, pardon me. So I've just read this cool article about the closing of the Puerta del Perdón in the Monastery of Santo Toribio for the holy year (and it is a very beautiful peurta for sure). It...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back