• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

From Gijon?

espoir

Hello,
I'm planning to do part of the route this summer. I could take 2 weeks in June or July and I think to start in Gijon. Do you think is possible to get to Santiago in 2 weeks? Can I get a passport in Gijon? I would appreciate any advice about how to get to Gijon from Madrid, Barcelona or Valencia too. I don't have flights nearer.
Thank you!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
You can get a train direct from Madrid to Oviedo and from there get local regular buses to Gijon probably 30-40 mins. Gijon to Santiago is doable in two weeks a lot of people start there just because of that reason. Also consider starting from Oviedo the distance to Aviles is just a bit more than going from Gijon, but the walk is bit less industrial.

Mike

Hello espoir,

Welcome to. The forum.

Where are you coming from? We will be able to give you better info knowing where you are coming from.

Buen camino.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Mike, los trenes que vienen de Madrid a Asturias suelen morir en Gijón, así se evitan transbordos para unos pocos kilómetros.

Hello,
I'm planning to do part of the route this summer. I could take 2 weeks in June or July and I think to start in Gijon. Do you think is possible to get to Santiago in 2 weeks? Can I get a passport in Gijon? I would appreciate any advice about how to get to Gijon from Madrid, Barcelona or Valencia too. I don't have flights nearer.
Thank you!

hello espoir,

there are 3 alvia trains that go non-stop from madrid atocha station to gijon. the first train is 10:25 and the trip takes 5 hours and 56 minutes, tourist class ticket is 36.10 euro. however, later trains cost more. if you are coming from madrid barajas airport, you cercanias ticket is included for free to atocha station.

buen camino.

Thanks Angulero I stayed next to the to the little train station in the center of Gijon and just assumed that fast interregional trains did not go there.

Mike

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Angulero es el quien mejor puede aconsejar sobre el paso del Camino por tierras Astures.

Ondo Ibili !

Sobre el camino quizás no, sobre transporte y alguna otra cosa, sí.

Mike, quizás lo que viste es una estación provisional que hicieron para FEVE ya que la estación que había medio kilómetro más hacia el centro de Gijón la han cerrado. Los trayectos de RENFE comienzan y acaban todos en Gijón, donde creo además, que hay o había más vías que en Oviedo.

ScreenHunter_01Nov221837_zpsbc7b1a12.jpg

You can get a train direct from Madrid to Oviedo and from there get local regular buses to Gijon probably 30-40 mins. Gijon to Santiago is doable in two weeks a lot of people start there just because of that reason. Also consider starting from Oviedo the distance to Aviles is just a bit more than going from Gijon, but the walk is bit less industrial.

Mike

Mike, I'm curious. Did you walk from Oviedo to Avilés? I walked that in 2006 or 2007, and after about 11 or 12 kms in Posada de Llanera, we totally lost the arrows. No one could help us. We even went to the ayuntamiento and the public library (which may have been in the same building, I can´t remember), but no one could point us to the Camino. So we wound up on the side of the national highway, and it wasn´t pretty. But I agree with you that there was none of the industrial slog that characterizes Gijón to Avilés. I´m hoping the marking has improved since then. Thanks, Laurie

Gijon to Aviles is a proper slog. You can pick up a credencial at the municipal albergue in Alives. Wouldn't stay there though.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Thank you very much for your replies. I'm coming from Bulgaria. Last autumn I went to Madrid and then to Santiago by plane and decided that would be interesting expirience to try to do even a small part of Camino.

Hi Laurie I walked to Oviedo and on to the Primitivo, the group who i walked with since basque country went on from Oviedo to Aviles but said later the path was wellmarked which i was thankfull for because i done my best to convince them not to go via Gijon. One thing i will say about the walk to Gijon is that i feel it is a more scenic way than the one to Oviedo, even with the outstanding way out of the valley where the valiedos monastery is, but it is the killer kms on a national highway to Aviles that would put me off walking that way again.

What would really interest me is a route between Bodeneya and Luarca, i have seen a few historical maps with a route between the two places.

For the last two years a albergue de peregrinos has threatened to open in Raices Veijo, its about 4km past Aviles they are now talking about April 2014 so there is that to look forward to if Aviles albergue is not what anyone wants.

Mike

Must have missed the trains alltogether, I was only staying about 50 meters walk away, remember the Feve ones. even saw Spain win the 2010 cup while i was there and watched the celebrations in and around the fountain which has strong connection to Asturian Kings of old.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Most read last week in this forum

Last May I walked the first part of the Norte in the opposite direction, from Santander to Irun. Since I only had two weeks and couldn't reach Santiago anyway, I wanted to swim against the tide...
Tomorrow I fly to Bilbao to start my 5th stint on the Camino. I did the Frances in three parts (2016, 2017 and 2022). Last year I did the Portuguese from Porto. I did the first 200 km of the...
I use Alltrails a lot here in the US, in Iceland, on the Via Podiensis and a bit on the CF. Will it be useful on the Norte? For example, people here say the "warm up" from Biarritz to Irun (or...
I thought I had this all figured out, but I have ended up with 2 train tickets from San Sebastian (I don't even know if it's the airport or the town) to Irun, instead of ONE that goes all the way...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back