• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Good news for sailors and alike! Sailing is now accepted as another valid way to make the camino

C

Castilian

17 ports (see the list on the link) of the North of Spain, all of them part of the association North Marinas, reached an agreement with the Cathedral authorities in Santiago de Compostela that recognizes sailing as another way of pilgrimage (minimum distance 150 nautic miles) in addition to the already existing ways of walking, biking and riding a horse. The recognized sailing route would start in Hondarribia and would end in Galicia (not sure of the ending port in Galicia but it may be A Coruña). Sailing pilgrims can stamp their credencial at the ports of North Marinas along the route. More ports may join the initiative in the future. For more info:

EDITED: Previous link was incorrect

http://www.irekia.euskadi.eus/es/ne...-los-puertos-del-golfo-bizkaia-del-cantabrico

Last edited by a moderator:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Here is a rough english translation

• 17 ports of Galicia, Asturias, Cantabria and the Basque Country continental, grouped in the North Sea Association have signed an agreement with the Archdiocese of Compostela to regulate the pilgrimage to Santiago by sea
  • Hondarribia-EKP, peregrine double scale: Nautical and coast path
  • Disclose the cultural offerings of the seaports

With the slogan "Browse the Way" a new pilgrimage route this season will officially debut through 17 marinas in Galicia, Asturias, Cantabria and the Basque Country have signed an agreement with the Archdiocese of Compostela to regulate the pilgrimage to Santiago by sea . From Hondarribia to A Coruna, who sailing in sailboats or other boats crossing the nautical route of the Camino will seal their compostelana accreditation in marine and recognized captaincy.

"Ports historically linked to the Camino de Santiago in this part of the European Atlantic southwest, grouped in the Marinas North Association, asked the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Santiago de Compostela to accept the pilgrimage by sea to the sanctuary of the Apostle and granted the" Compostela " to sail more than 150 nautical miles, ie, about 280 kilometers in the Cantabrian nautical route. It is now reality and can have its continuation and expansion as more ports continental Basque Country, Aquitaine, Poitou Charentes, Loire and Brittany join, "explains Ana Oregi, Minister of Environment and Territorial Policy of the Basque Government.

The Dean of the Cathedral of Santiago, Second Leonardo López-Pérez, has authorized the release of "Compostela"credential to prove their seal on the network ports. "The objective is to promote, disseminate and share the spirit of the Camino de Santiago among the people of the sea and for this the attached Cantabrian ports disclose the cultural and tourism among countries of the European Union in its boat shows, conferences and networks social "highlights the agreement signed by Euskadiko Kirol Portuak-EKP.

Marinas of Hondarribia, Marina Santander, Marina Yates Gijon Marina Gijon Marina Viveiro, Marina Coruña, Marina de Muros and Marina Pobra initiated this project in January at the boat show Boot, Dusseldorf, which flaunted their cultural, sports and tourism. "This is to promote cultural navigation in the northern coasts of the peninsula and try to formalize a maritime route to Santiago that somehow already performed but without definition or regulation" explains Ana Oregi.

"The new sea route Jacobean an avegantes attract lovers of religious culture of northern Europe, England and France with all the benefit that involves the exchange of cultures. With the initiative another social aspect of European Atlantic arc is encouraged "comments Ana Sailburu Oregi. The ports are integrated North Sea and Marina Yates Gijon, in Asturias; those of Hondarribia, Donostia, Orio, Getaria, Deba, Mutriku and Bermeo in the Basque Country; Marina Santander in Cantabria and Corunna Marina Seca, Vivero, Muros, Galicia Pobra and Muxía. All of them were represented in Dusseldorf, earlier this year, where they planned the initiative and the request to the Galician Archdiocese.

http://www.irekia.euskadi.eus/es/ne...-los-puertos-del-golfo-bizkaia-del-cantabrico

So now all you have to do is ride on your yacht? What's next, motorhome pilgrimages?

I'm glad I'm not doing my pilgrimage just for the compostela, because this really lowers my opinion of what it means.

Please tell me that article was published on April 1st.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
People have been sailing to Santiago probably for as long as they have been walking it, in Ireland the traditional point of departure was St. James Gate in Dublin and sailed to Corunna, some boats also left from Dingle in Co. Kerry. At the moment a group of men are rowing from Ireland to Corunna in a currach, a light canvas skinned boat, they started last year and are doing it in stages. People also did and do their pilgrimage on horseback or use a donkey to carry their packs.
I don't think we should look down our noses at any type of traditional pilgrimage.
BTW my first trip to Santiago after my heart surgery was from Le Puy and I travelled by motorhome. I followed the route as close as possible, even detoured to Rocamadour. I didn't get a compostella but I didn't expect or ask for one but it was a most beautiful trip.

Future view ?;)
The new generation of cruiseships..5000 guests. The 10 days pilgrimage cruise from Southampton..Rotterdam or Barcelona. Celebrity Cruises....Holland America Line.... partying...fiesta...heading for A Coruña and as landexcursion walking with a sponsored backpack with a bottle of mojita or caipirinha....Dresscode..Hawaii shirt,shorts and sandals..... Camino Inglès. 100 kms...all inclusive..at the end a Cruise Compostela... 5000$ for a standard stateroom with seaview..with bunkbeds..

I will frame the certificate next to the other ones...crossing the Equator, crossing the polar circle, rounding Cape Horn and visiting the home of Santaclaus in the north of Finland:p:p

On board seminars of the camino stories and every day practical training around the promenadedeck during sea days..
The captain's diner will be in traditional pilgrimsdress .. Coquilles Saint Jaques with free St.James shell.
The cruisers are coming.. yee haw ...

Hope not:eek:

Last edited:
More like small yachts etc which can fit in the marinas, but I am sure that some-one will 'try it on'. However it seems a good way to encourage sailing pilgrims. Do they then have to walk in from their final port (Muxia/Coruña)? which though under the 100kms walking distance will qualify by the 150 nautical miles sailed on a sometimes difficult and challenging coast

A selection of Camino Jewellery
My apologies to jirit for providing a link with some sort of typo that made it a wrong link that didn't work what meant he had to take the time to fix it.

Do they then have to walk in from their final port (Muxia/Coruña)?

That's what makes more sense (because otherwise it wouldn't be a pilgrimage to Santiago de Compostela but to their arriving port) but I don't know for sure. There's yet little info about this brand new option so some details are missing (e.g.: the one you asked about or if it's recognized just for crew or for passengers too or if you can end at any port and continue from there walking, biking or riding a horse or you have to end at a specific port and continue from that specific port).

Please tell me that article was published on April 1st.
However, I, too, wondered whether the article was published on 1 April.

No, it wasn't published on April 1st but on April 6th. BTW, April 1st isn't traditionally celebrated in Spain. The Spanish "equivalent" would be Dec 28th...

More like small yachts etc which can fit in the marinas, but I am sure that some-one will 'try it on'. However it seems a good way to encourage sailing pilgrims. Do they then have to walk in from their final port (Muxia/Coruña)? which though under the 100kms walking distance will qualify by the 150 nautical miles sailed on a sometimes difficult and challenging coast
A Coruña is a port of call for cruise ships by the way !
Or Vigo. Once we arrived there after an Atlantic crossing from Brasil.
The sea in front of the north Galicean, Asturian and Basque coast can be notorious hence very bad weather !
If you come from the ports I mentioned there are more than 150 nautical miles.
Ha ha. And because I see this more as a joke with cruise travels -although what is impossible nowadays-
the "cruise Compostela maybe will be issued by the captain or the cruise director:)even if you walked once or twice around the promanade deck:p:p

One day, maybe even next year... I will take the Ferry across from Southampton and continue walking. Maybe even start in Ireland, unfortunately there is not longer a Ferry crossing from Cork to A Coruna or Ferrol... that would have been ideal.

No matter what "form" of transportation pilgrims choose... I am a pilgrim because I am one in my heart and one of the most important lessons I learned on my first Camino in 2012 is TOLERANCE.... there is no right or wrong, there only IS.

Light and Love Ingrid

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Cork to Roscoff, Roscoff to Plymouth, Plymouth to Santander - all on Brittany Ferries. Leave Cork on Friday and eventually arrive in Santander on Monday. It took us ages to see where the Pont Aven went between reaching Plymouth on Thursday and then sailing out again on Sunday. :)

I have a friend who, in her sailing days, would have loved the journey along the coast of Spain and to Santiago. She has driven to Santiago, but no longer sails and sold her yacht.

Cork to Roscoff, Roscoff to Plymouth, Plymouth to Santander - all on Brittany Ferries. Leave Cork on Friday and eventually arrive in Santander on Monday. It took us ages to see where the Pont Aven went between reaching Plymouth on Thursday and then sailing out again on Sunday. :)

I have a friend who, in her sailing days, would have loved the journey along the coast of Spain and to Santiago. She has driven to Santiago, but no longer sails and sold her yacht.
Thanks Tia, will keep this info

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
You knew it was only a matter of time. Evidently the sailing compostela has caught on . . . This from today's LA Times (http://www.latimes.com/world/spain/disneycamino-20160423-story.html).

Mickey Plans to be a Pilgrim

by John Swift

(Anaheim, CA) According to internal sources in the Disney Corporation, Walt Disney Cruise Line and Theme Parks and the provincial government of Galicia, Spain, are weeks away from finalizing a joint venture agreement to build a destination theme park in A Coruña, Spain, celebrating the millennia-old pilgrimage routes to the cathedral of Santiago de Compostela, the reported burial place of one of the apostles of Jesus Christ. With an estimated 5 million visitors per year and a total complex of nine square miles, Camino Disney is a mere fraction of its larger theme park siblings, but it is expected to provide a major tourism boost to the ailing Spanish economy. Disney Pilgrims can depart on a Disney Cruise Line (referred to internally as the “Camino Cruz”) from a not yet available list of major European ports and stay in the 10,000 person Camino Disney Resort on the theme park grounds. Hardy, adventurous types have the further option of a guided walking pilgrimage to Santiago de Compostela, fully supported with baggage service, catering, massage therapists, and foot care. Both on the cruise and at the resort, pilgrims can buy high-tech, ultralight backpacking equipment, all with Disney-themed branding. All of this is made possible by a recent decision to recognize pilgrimages to Santiago de Compostela made by sailing. Disney Corporation is alleged to have been a quiet supporter of the passage of this measure as a condition for their investments in Galicia.

“Uncle Walt was the son of a Congregationalist deacon and a man deeply committed to prayer. Not many know this, but we think he would have approved wholeheartedly of blending the magic of Disney, opportunities for family adventure, and the Christian faith,” said a source within the Disney public relations department on the condition of anonymity. “Can you imagine the fun of a Disney Camino when walking with Disney princesses?! We’re collaborating with the Spanish government and the Catholic Church to make the world a better place. For instance, a long-controversial statue of St. James Matamoros is being removed, and in its place will be a statue of Mickey Mouse as a medieval pilgrim. How wonderful is that!”

“We’re good partners, and we want to help revitalize this ancient tradition,” said Alan Abel, Disney’s Director of Community Relations. To that end, Disney is investing in many renovations throughout the Camino de Santiago infrastructure while introducing the subtle influence of Disney motifs. For instance, the famed, silver, Botofumiero incense burner that swings the entire width of the Santiago Cathedral is in need of refinishing, and Disney is paying handsomely to engrave subtle images of the dragon from Sleeping Beauty into it. In another part of the Camino, the aging cast iron silhouettes of medieval pilgrims fighting their way against a stiff wind will be replaced with a similar outline of Disney characters in the wind.

Not everyone is convinced that this will be a good thing. FICS, the Fraternidad Internacional del Camino de Santiago, has privately expressed grave concerns regarding the over-commercialization of the Camino de Santiago and the impact that excessive numbers of pilgrims have on resources and infrastructure. Given Disney’s five year projections of quadrupling the number of pilgrims from roughly a quarter million to over a million, such growth will come at a price, but one that Disney is apparently willing to pay provided the Galician government and the Catholic Archdiocese of Santiago de Compostela remain cooperative. Evidently, it's a small world after all.

Last edited:
It says under this link that seafaring pilgrims have to walk the Ruta del Mar from Pontecesures-Padrón to the Cathedral in Santiago to obtain the maritime Compostela.

It seems to me that link is outdated. I think it talks about the discontinued maritime route that was discussed on the 2005's thread you quoted later but not about the current maritime route and rules. It talks about making 40 nautic miles and continuing on foot from Pontecesures while the new rules I linked above talk about a minimum of 150 nautic miles of sailing. In addition, the link I provided above says that all the ports that reached the agreement with the Cathedral authorities are part of the association North Marinas and that association doesn't run the port of Pontecesures...

So this option of a maritime pilgrimage route may not be so brand new after all.

I didn't explain it well (enough) or you misunderstood me or both of them. Anyway, what is brand new is the agreement I quoted on the post that opened this thread (or so I think).

The ports are integrated North Sea and Marina Yates Gijon, in Asturias; those of Hondarribia, Donostia, Orio, Getaria, Deba, Mutriku and Bermeo in the Basque Country; Marina Santander in Cantabria and Corunna Marina Seca, Vivero, Muros, Galicia Pobra and Muxía. All of them were represented in Dusseldorf, earlier this year, where they planned the initiative and the request to the Galician Archdiocese.
As the named ports are along the north coast I assume that maritime pilgrims will be accepted walking the short arm of the Inglés (from A Coruña) which does not meet the requirements for walking pilgrims. Other ports may not be on the Camino and therefore unsigned, thinking of Viveiro, although there is a road to Santiago and it was an old way for pilgrims. It will be interesting to see how many sailing pilgrims are recorded, where they sail from and where they land to complete their pilgrimage on foot.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
In the news clip, they show a map which seems to indicate that one has to cover the distance from Noia to Santiago.

That (glimse of the) map is the only clue about the (possible) final port(s) of the route on all the vid and I'm afraid confirmation from other source (stating explicitly the ending port or the possible ending ports) would be necessary.

I know there is/was an association looking for official recognition of the route from Muros and Noia to Santiago de Compostela (as a variant of the Camino Inglés) but earlier this year they didn't have it yet and I don't know what's the current situation.

Let's see if @ivar has, or can get, more updated info about the official recognition of the route from Muros to Santiago de Compostela and/or about the now official sailing route from Hondarribia.

Last edited by a moderator:
Did it always have this text: The Compostela is granted to those who did "al menos los 100 últimos kilómetros a pie o a caballo, los 200 últimos kilómetros en bicicleta o 100 millas y terminando los últimos kilómetros a pie?"

No, it didn't. That seems to be a this year's update.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Reading the itinerary it looks as though the sailing distance is the qualifying distance and the walking distance is nominal. also the actual sailing days are defined with the relevent harbours/marinas as this is a specific permission not an open one. Those sailing have to pre-register by a given date.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
This sounds like a one-off event (at least for now) - sailing at specific dates and times (one start date per route), and designed mainly to promote the marinas involved by connecting with their historical links to the Camino, as the original article quoted above described. It could actually be quite a sight, if they get a flotilla registered for the trip from each starting point. The token 10km walk at the end would mean the sailors arrived together at the Cathedral, presumably with suitable media coverage and ceremony. The website mentions the Compostela, but as the requirements for a Compostela have not changed on the Cathedral website it seems unlikely this will be a permanent change - could it be again a one-off (or possibly annual) special event, by arrangement with the cathedral as stated in the article? Possibly a special "version" of the Compostela?

Mickey Plans to be a Pilgrim

by John Swift

(Anaheim, CA) According to internal sources in the Disney Corporation, Walt Disney Cruise Line and Theme Parks and the provincial government of Galicia, Spain, are weeks away from finalizing a joint venture agreement to build a destination theme park in A Coruña, Spain, celebrating the millennia-old pilgrimage routes to the cathedral of Santiago de Compostela, the reported burial place of one of the apostles of Jesus Christ. With an estimated 5 million visitors per year and a total complex of nine square miles, Camino Disney is a mere fraction of its larger theme park siblings, but it is expected to provide a major tourism boost to the ailing Spanish economy. Disney Pilgrims can depart on a Disney Cruise Line (referred to internally as the “Camino Cruz”) from a not yet available list of major European ports and stay in the 10,000 person Camino Disney Resort on the theme park grounds. Hardy, adventurous types have the further option of a guided walking pilgrimage to Santiago de Compostela, fully supported with baggage service, catering, massage therapists, and foot care. Both on the cruise and at the resort, pilgrims can buy high-tech, ultralight backpacking equipment, all with Disney-themed branding. All of this is made possible by a recent decision to recognize pilgrimages to Santiago de Compostela made by sailing. Disney Corporation is alleged to have been a quiet supporter of the passage of this measure as a condition for their investments in Galicia.

“Uncle Walt was the son of a Congregationalist deacon and a man deeply committed to prayer. Not many know this, but we think he would have approved wholeheartedly of blending the magic of Disney, opportunities for family adventure, and the Christian faith,” said a source within the Disney public relations department on the condition of anonymity. “Can you imagine the fun of a Disney Camino when walking with Disney princesses?! We’re collaborating with the Spanish government and the Catholic Church to make the world a better place. For instance, a long-controversial statue of St. James Matamoros is being removed, and in its place will be a statue of Mickey Mouse as a medieval pilgrim. How wonderful is that!”

“We’re good partners, and we want to help revitalize this ancient tradition,” said Alan Abel, Disney’s Director of Community Relations. To that end, Disney is investing in many renovations throughout the Camino de Santiago infrastructure while introducing the subtle influence of Disney motifs. For instance, the famed, silver, Botofumiero incense burner that swings the entire width of the Santiago Cathedral is in need of refinishing, and Disney is paying handsomely to engrave subtle images of the dragon from Sleeping Beauty into it. In another part of the Camino, the aging cast iron silhouettes of medieval pilgrims fighting their way against a stiff wind will be replaced with a similar outline of Disney characters in the wind.

Not everyone is convinced that this will be a good thing. FICS, the Fraternidad Internacional del Camino de Santiago, has privately expressed grave concerns regarding the over-commercialization of the Camino de Santiago and the impact that excessive numbers of pilgrims have on resources and infrastructure. Given Disney’s five year projections of quadrupling the number of pilgrims from roughly a quarter million to over a million, such growth will come at a price, but one that Disney is apparently willing to pay provided the Galician government and the Catholic Archdiocese of Santiago de Compostela remain cooperative. Evidently, it's a small world after all.
This is a joke, right? (The link was broken...)
I'm not normally gullible, but perhaps am getting a wee bit cynical. I can imagine this actually happening...

This is a joke, right? (The link was broken...)
I'm not normally gullible, but perhaps am getting a wee bit cynical. I can imagine this actually happening...
I was shocked too. Not sure what's wrong with the link.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The website mentions the Compostela, but as the requirements for a Compostela have not changed on the Cathedral website

Take a look at post 21 on this same thread (i.e.: 7 posts above yours) made by @Kathar1na

Reading the itinerary it looks as though the sailing distance is the qualifying distance and the walking distance is nominal.

When I read post 21 on this thread, I assumed the walking was from the ending port to the Cathedral regardless the distance between both but reading the link provided by @Kathar1na on post 24, it seems I was wrong. I'm wondering if the Cathedral authorities made the same assumption than me though.

Have a look at the credencial ("Official Camino Passport") that you can order through this very forum https://www.santiagodecompostela.me...passport-from-the-pilgrims-office-in-santiago - see the text half way down the second page inside - there you have your 100 km, your 200 km and your 100 nautical miles. I suppose plenty of people already have a credencial with this text, no?
Yes, you're right, sorry - I missed that addition. Well, it still sounds like this could be more of a "special event" kind of thing, but it will be interesting to hear if it remains and individual sailors start receiving a compostela, who have not taken part in one of these group events. In theory they should be, based on this - although it seems odd that the text only specifies "los ultimos" rather than a specific number of final kilometres to have been walked in addition to the distance sailed. In the advertised event they will be walking only the final 10km, but the text in the credential doesn't specify even that.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back