• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

GPS Track for Camino del Norte

grayland

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Yes
I have been unable to find a GPS file for the Norte. I see them for almost everything else.
I would like to have the full Norte and the Primitivo as a separate track.

Am I just missing it or has it not been posted yet??

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I used a CdN track that I downloaded from wikiloc.com and it worked well. The were a few tracks there; I thought the one posted by a user named Pelegrino was the best.

I used a CdN track that I downloaded from wikiloc.com and it worked well. The were a few tracks there; I thought the one posted by a user named Pelegrino was the best.

I used a track that newfydog sent me for the VdlP earlier this year (2013). It was great.

I am pretty clueless about GPS and tracks and just followed his excellent instructions for installation into MotionX on my iPhone.

I did wonder who makes the tracks? Are they different in any meaningful way?
I see you thought one was better than others.... What was the difference.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Often the tracks are recorded by another hiker, like yourself. Sometimes you'll even see where the hiker took side trips to see other sights or perhaps took a wrong turn.

The tracks are recorded with a GPS device or program.

I have two tracks for it. I have no idea where I got them, I just collect things like that. In some areas the tracks differ more than I have seen for any route. Are there many options? Was one done by someone on a bike? I guess I'd load them both and see what trail looks best on the way. Send me a pm if you want them.

Newf
norte.JPG

Thanks to Newf...I have downloaded base maps of the Norte area and also downloaded a gps track to my iPhone.
Here is the information sent to me by newfydog: (I can't attach the gpx file here so if you need it send me a PM with an email address)

"I went to http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/ and converted that file to a .gpx format. It is attached below. Email it to gpsimport@motionx.com.

They will send you a file back. Open that file with the motion x app.

To get a good basemap which will work offline, download a map of the area.

Menu

Map zoom out, go to Spain

Maps-----button bottom left

Map download

Motionx road
Route ---- button at top

shape the oval to the area you want

Next

Min zoom I don't know what this does, use about 7

Max zoom--This is very sensitive. I found I need to use 15 to get little roads with the street name. At 15 northern Spain is 1.8 GB and an hour download. 14 is 0.4gb, but might not have the detail. You might do it in pieces as you go if you don't have the memory.

Where it say motionx tile set, give it a name you recognize.

Download (do this with wifi, not a data plan!)

Now you'll have that track on a map all the time, without phone signal or Wi-Fi If you don't see the track, go to tracks...all tracks.. select the track.... and hit follow

Buen Camino

Newf."

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I know you know this BUT.. there are many different options on the Norte Route, from day to day when walking one might decide to follow the route one is on rather than follow a signpost to the left-for eg it might leave the coast, it might go over a mountain, it might follow the corkscrew coastal road, an "official" in one Alberque advised all to avoid a high mountain route the next day and some of us did, only to discover we walked many more kms than necessary and the high route was lovely and walked by many. Off thread I know. Also read those who follow GPS and don't read maps and make decisions lose the capacity to use these same skills....HA!

I found a link for de GPS dates of the camino del norte. It's a German site, gps@seidelgrafik.de.
I hope this is what you a looking for.

Tened cuidado con los tracks que vais a utilizar. Es raro el día que no llegue a mi pueblo por la carretera nacional peregrinos que van siguiendo un GPS y a la salida del pueblo vuelven a seguir por la misma carretera. No sé de donde lo bajarían ese track, pero a veces es más fácil levantar la cabeza y seguir las flechas amarillas o, si tenéis dudas, preguntar a las gentes de los pueblos.

Beware of the tracks you are going to use. Rare is the day that will not be my people for the pilgrims national road following a GPS and go out of the village again follow the same road. I do not know where it would go down that track, but sometimes it's easier to lift the head and follow the yellow arrows or, if you have doubts, ask the people of the towns.

Foto de hoy:

IMAG1690_zps690403ce.jpg

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi, ive been training for my CDN in two weeks time and thought i'd get some UK coastline under my belt (Scarborough to Robin hoods Bay). I have to say i was just not prepared for the amount for...
hello We plan to walk from Irún to San Sebastián first day in Mid May and looking for feedback on how long it takes. Think we are up to it but will be our first day. Thanks for your thoughts and...
Please, am I mad to contemplate the following combo: Norte: Biarritz-Bayonne-Irun-Santander (via Bayonne to get my legs going) Santander - train to Leon San Salvador - Leon to Oviedo Primitivo -...
I walked the Camino Francés in Octobee 2022, from Villafranca del Bierzo to Santiago de Compostela, and loved it. I would like to walk the Camino del Norte as I'm drawn to the coast, culture and...
What is the most beautiful seven day section on the Camino del Norte? I have a good friend who cannot come with me for the entire walk. She is only available for a week. I start from Irun. She...
Hello everyone. I know that pre-booking accommodation has been discussed many, many times, so apologies but I wanted to be quite specific. We are walking from Irún to Bilbao in the first week of...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.