• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Has anyone stayed at Albergue Oncineda in Estella?

Time of past OR future Camino
2006 to date: Over 21 Caminos. See signature line
What is it like?
I'm booking private rooms there and just wondered if it's convenient to town, clean, etc?

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Buses? So it's not right in Estella? I couldn't figure it out from the website.
Annie,

The Albergue Oncineda is a youth hostel in Estella, approximately 1 km west of the municipal albergue and on the route out of town going towards the Irache monastery. Hence, the name of the street. I have never stayed there but walked past the street many times going to the monastery. It is approximately a 10/15 minute easy walk back to the center and approximately 2 km from the Albergue Oncineda to the Irache monastery itself.

MM

Last edited:
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Annie,

The Albergue Oncineda is a youth hostel in Estella, approximately 1 km west of the municipal albergue and on the route out of town going towards the Irache monastery. Hence, the name of the street. I have never stayed there but walked past the street many times going to the monastery. It is approximately a 10/15 minute easy walk back to the center and approximately 2 km from the Albergue Oncineda to the Irache monastery itself.

MM

I think I remember seeing it.

Yes, I stayed there last spring (2013). It was very clean and the hospitality was great. I enjoyed it. However, it is on the outskirts of town, and it is a hike uphill to get to it, so once I was there, I was not inclined to go into town to explore, knowing that I would be doing the hike uphill again.

What is it like?
I'm booking private rooms there and just wondered if it's convenient to town, clean, etc?
Yes we stayed there this week - wasnt too busy but more experienced pereginos ssid it was above average. Its fine, clean and hospitable. You can rent sheets and towels for six euro and pretty good breakfast is five euro each. Its only about 10 minutes from the town and there is a decent bar with good pintxos (Ametsu?),popular with the locals, nearby.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
What is it like?
Yes, I stayed there last May....Very, Very clean, hospitable, large rooms, good bathrooms, very good meals.....communal meals in the dining room. Staff very helpful, considerate and kind.

What is it like?
Yes, would recommend it as myself, husband and 2 adult sons stayed there end May 2013. Spotless, lovely staff, great breakfast. Didnt have evening meal there,had it in La Aljama restaurant which I would also recommend. Our Camino ended in Estella (had only 1 week free) but I think route to next town (Los Arcos)passes by this hostel.

Hi, A group of us stayed there last October. I think we were the only people there. It was a bit of a hike back into town for dinner but not a real problem and when you leave in the morning you have 15 mins up on everyone else! The place reminded me of an old 1950's hospital, long stark corridors and sterile surroundings, but in saying that, the staff were extremely friendly and helpful, they did the washing and they served a more memorable breakfast.

I have stayed there too a couple of times. Got my own room both times even if there were 4 beds in the room, and a key to the room. very nice seperated bathrooms at each floor. Place for drying clothes outside. Not very far to go to town in my opinion and when you leave in the morning there is a shortcut to the camino. I have always wondered why so few people stay there, last time it was only me and two cyclists, so I discussed it with the lady in the reception. She thought it was too expensive, 15 euros with towels. I rather think that few people know about the place. I heard about it from a pilgrim that stayed there, when I stayed in the albergue which was very overcrowded with bad sanitary conditions. If you don't book ahead, the touristoffice can call them when you arrive in Estella. I think they only have an eveningmeal when they have groups staying there.

What is it like?
It's fine clean as everyone says we stayed in 2013 in a four bed room which was fine. If my memory serves me well it was just about 10mins walk into the town but you have a head start up the hill for the free wine the next morning. We are staying there in four weeks time.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Thank you to everyone.
Joe's group will stay in Oncineda in private rooms.
I have moved my group to Hostal Cristina and Apartamentos Alaia.
All is well.

Most read last week in this forum

Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back