• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Has anyone walked the Northern Coast route ?

karlykarl

Hi, i am going to Santiago and would like to walk the Northern Coastal route. This is my first major walk, and Ill be walking first from Lyon in France to Le puy, and then onto St jean.
Any tips on camping sites , places to overnight in France , and General information or tips on the coast route in Spain would be appreciated. Thanks

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi I cant help you with the first two, Lyon and Le Puy or the crossover from St Jean but if you havent already posted on the Le Puy thread then other forum members will be able to help you with info on that part.
The Norte is quite a pleasant walk, by the time you hit it you will be well walked in and the sharp ascents and descents of the first sections should hold no worries for you. There are many outstanding albergues along the length of it, Pasajes, Guemes, Boo, Casa Belen, Miraz and many others. It was well waymarked in 2012. There are quite a few variants some not listed on any guides, if you have a maps of where it goes near the coast you can choose your own ways of walking along the coast and sooner or later come back to the camino, from a book I have dated 2002 it seems on one section in Asturias that the camino closely followed the coast however the camino in that section now goes inland, probably because an Albergue was opened and the camino was changed to go by it.There is a lot of Asphalt some of it on hard shoulders of busy dual carriageways, a lot of Urban Centers to go through until about Aviles, But there is some outstanding natural paths through areas of jaw dropping beauty.

To continue with the theme of the camino over time being diverted on to other ways, the highest point on the Norte,Serra da Palancas, has been almost abandoned and pilgrims are instead sent down 24 km of an unused road between Soto de Luina and Cadevedeo, however the Palancas route is mostly off road on an old cattle droving path, some pilgrims still use it against local advice- but say that way is often the outstanding section for them of the whole Norte, it has a clear viewpoint at the highest point of the whole coastal area around.

It rains a lot on the Norte, but so does everwhere at the moment.

It has a celtic feel to it due to the strong connections of Asturias and Galicia

Last edited by a moderator:

Most read last week in this forum

I walked the Camino Francés in Octobee 2022, from Villafranca del Bierzo to Santiago de Compostela, and loved it. I would like to walk the Camino del Norte as I'm drawn to the coast, culture and...
Hello everyone. I know that pre-booking accommodation has been discussed many, many times, so apologies but I wanted to be quite specific. We are walking from Irún to Bilbao in the first week of...
Hello! I am visiting Northern Spain for the first time this June and would am planning on hiking a small segment of the Camino. I've done a little research and decided to hike between Zarautz and...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back