• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Have we started our camino?

rector

ONE HALF
Time of past OR future Camino
SJ-Sdc MAY (2011)
SJ-Sdc MAY (2014)
Sar-Sdc Oct (2015)
Pon-Sdc Ju (2016)
SJ-Log (2018)
Yesterday we drove from Belfast to Dublin and walked to St James Church and the Guinness Storehouse. We had our credentials stamped with three different stamps for our camino next month. My question, is aimed at the experts, those with learned and informed opinions. We had to drive the one hundred miles but we walked about 4-5 miles across Dublin from our very comfortable hotel. I do hope we have started because as has been stated on this forum Lent does not count when you are on the Camino, and we had some rather tasty, non Lent like tit-bits on the way. I hope for a positive response to this plea for absaloution for our actions. If were are already on our camino, does that mean we can eat what we want now?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Yesterday we drove from Belfast to Dublin and walked to St James Church and the Guinness Storehouse. We had our credentials stamped with three different stamps for our camino next month. My question, is aimed at the experts, those with learned and informed opinions. We had to drive the one hundred miles but we walked about 4-5 miles across Dublin from our very comfortable hotel. I do hope we have started because as has been stated on this forum Lent does not count when you are on the Camino, and we had some rather tasty, non Lent like tit-bits on the way. I hope for a positive response to this plea for absaloution for our actions. If were are already on our camino, does that mean we can eat what we want now?
Of course you have started YOUR Camino. I started the second part of mine the same way last August although I didn't fly out until Sept. Only difference was I drove down in my motorhome to St James's church. In my record of my journey I have a photo of the scallop shell high up on the front wall as the first pic of my camino. As for lent. Dont know who told you it didn't count on the camino. You will put up with more hardships and penance than you have ever done in any lent in your life so in fact its lent all year round over there. Only three meals a day if you are lucky and a bottle of cheap but tasty wine with dinner but if you have just walked up to 30k a day, its not exactly over indulgence. As to what you can eat now, enjoy your lenten rations, its probably more than you will eat in Spain :)

I have add this is our second Frances we did it in 2011 but we just bought boots and a rucksack each jumped on a plane and started waking we did not know that you had to do all this planning

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

I maybe a purist when it comes to starting a Camino, but surely the first sellos on your credential is from where you started walking from. I have read about pilgrims on buses, taxis but never planes to ease their journey. How many pints of Guinness ?
May we need to call on a higher being for judgement.................John Walker Officina de Peregrinos Santiago.

I have add this is our second Frances we did it in 2011 but we just bought boots and a rucksack each jumped on a plane and started waking we did not know that you had to do all this planning
When I started last St Patricks day, I did the same. Made plans ok but they all got thrown out as the weather had turned really nasty in the pyrenees so we had to start from Pamplona so when my son and I started it was as if we had no planning done. We didn't know how we were getting from Biarritz to Pamplona, what time we would arrive and no real idea of where we were sleeping. Made it all the more memorable. I only walked as far as Burgos and flew home on Easter Sunday. Went down to Dublin in August, flew to Bilbao in September and started walking from Burgos. That was on a whim as my original plan was to wait until this year to finish. Now on another whim I have cleared my diary for next April to go back again, not that there was anything in my diary and I have never kept one in my life except on the Camino :). How far did you get the first time or did you make it all the way?

I maybe a purist when it comes to starting a Camino, but surely the first sellos on your credential is from where you started walking from. I have read about pilgrims on buses, taxis but never planes to ease their journey. How many pints of Guinness ?
May we need to call on a higher being for judgement.................John Walker Officina de Peregrinos Santiago.
Start it anywhere you want, anyway you want cause its nobody elses, its all yours. I have a scallop shell on my front door and until I walked back through it, I was, as far as I was concerned, still on my camino. I read about a many time peregrino who always went to Dublin for his first sello and when asked in Santiago where he had started from, he said Dublin and the office happily accepted that

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
That's where my confusion starts as well. and why I asked for learned opinion because mere mortals such as you and I are on dodgy ground when dealing with such questions but bear this in mind, this is where the Irish pilgrims set out from the gate St James Gate was a gate in the old walls Dublin walked through on their way to the boat and the pilgrimage is not the walking but rather the external and internal journey that is made

When I started last St Patricks day, I did the same. Made plans ok but they all got thrown out as the weather had turned really nasty in the pyrenees so we had to start from Pamplona so when my son and I started it was as if we had no planning done. We didn't know how we were getting from Biarritz to Pamplona, what time we would arrive and no real idea of where we were sleeping. Made it all the more memorable. I only walked as far as Burgos and flew home on Easter Sunday. Went down to Dublin in August, flew to Bilbao in September and started walking from Burgos. That was on a whim as my original plan was to wait until this year to finish. Now on another whim I have cleared my diary for next April to go back again, not that there was anything in my diary and I have never kept one in my life except on the Camino :). How far did you get the first time or did you make it all the way?
All the way and it was great. great walks Great food, Great people, Great experience, why we are doing it all again

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.

Being primarily a long distance walker rather than solely a Camino walker I always start at the recognised start and finish at the end each year.

My very first Camino 2011 started in Le Puy en Velay and went via Camino Frances to Santiago, Muxia and Finisterre.
My second 2013 I walked out my back door in South Wales walking on water from Poole to St Malo through France and on again the Camino Frances etc.
My third 2014 will not start from Wales by train & plane until I reach Seville to start the Via de la Plata to Santiago etc.
My fourth is still in the planning stage.

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
All the way and it was great. great walks Great food, Great people, Great experience, why we are doing it all again
Can I come too. Seriously, envy you, wish I had planned it for this year. I am going on a cruise soon and in all honesty I can say that I wish I had planned to go on the camino instead. When I finished at the start of October last I said never again. Could not fathom what brought these headcases back time after time. I still dont know but the camino just seems to be calling me back. Funny thing is its not the nice flat trails that keep coming to mind. Its the trek up to La Faba and O Cebreiro where I thought lying down and giving up the ghost was a good option. I am sure you probably get the same things said to you. Walking the camino at your age, are you mad. I will be 66 when next I go and mad I may be but I cant wait

Being primarily a long distance walker rather than solely a Camino walker I always start at the recognised start and finish at the end.

My very first Camino 2011 started in Le Puy en Velay and went via Camino Frances to Santiago, Muxia and Finisterre.
My second 2013 I walked out my back door in South Wales walking on water from Poole to St Malo through France and on again the Camino Frances etc.
My third 2014 will not start from Wales by train & plane until I reach Seville to start the Via de la Plata to Santiago etc.
Only one answer to that, WOW. Would love to start at LePuy but I fear that would be beyond my capabilities. But you are wrong about one thing, finishing at the end. The camino obviously called you back just as it is calling me back so if I am any judge of character, I would say you are not finished yet my friend :) Buen Camino

Only one answer to that, WOW. Would love to start at LePuy but I fear that would be beyond my capabilities. But you are wrong about one thing, finishing at the end. The camino obviously called you back just as it is calling me back so if I am any judge of character, I would say you are not finished yet my friend :) Buen Camino

I am planning one for 2018 when I will be 75.......You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream. Age does not matter, attitude does.
You and the rector are still embryos compared to many. Yes as I said you are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream even if you will be 80.

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I am planning one for 2018 when I will be 75.......You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream. Age does not matter, attitude does.
You and the rector are still embryos compared to many.
You have jumped to a bit of a conclusion there!!!!

You and the rector are still embryos compared to many.
I'm planning one in 2030 when I'm 80

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back