• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Help needed from Salvador veterans

peregrina2000

Staff member
Many of you probably know about the Confraternity's online guide to the Camino del Salvador. It was written in 2009 as a joint effort and is now seriously out of date. Rebekah and I agreed that I would do a major revision this summer.

I have just completed a draft rewrite. I walked in June 2012, so many of the major improvements and new albergues have been added, but I'm sure there are some 2013 changes.

If you walked in 2013 (or late 2012) and are willing to take a look at my revisions, please PM me and send me your email address. I will send you the document -- I prefer not to post it here as an attachment until it is complete and has been reviewed by others.

But if anyone is walking in the next week or so and would like to see what I've got, send me a PM and I will send it to you.

Ok, guys, please give me some instant gratification (to parrot a recent thread :D) and volunteer to review the guide!

Buen camino, Laurie

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I'm going on the 24th so happy to field test it. PM on its way.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi,

Sorry I tried sending it from my phone and had trouble doing it, I wasnt sure if it had sent or not. I will try again when I am back at my laptop later.

Regards,

Stuart

I've just bought my ticket ( :) ) and I'm leaving Sweden Friday the 13th september.
(That ticket was much cheaper, for some reason. Laughing)
I wonder if I shall field test the revised guide too, or is there a chance the new final version will be ready before I take off?
Am very much looking forward to this walk.
Buen camino
Susanna

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hello Laurie,
I will be back next week. You can send me the draft version to the emailadress you have.
(I have no idea how the new PM (conversations) works, even after reading the basic instructions 3 times) :-(

I have heard from a number of people, but am writing now to say "Last call!"

I am going to hand the baton to Reb in a few days, for her polishing, so if you have more information to send on the Salvador, or on the revisions necessary for the online guide, please send it soon! Many thanks, Laurie

OK Laurie, here are my notes.
(I can t find your latest PM. In fact the new PM is not so user friendly)
- Weather in July & August: Consider walking early. Sun rise is around 07:00
- Seven day itinerary: Day 5: consider stopping in Campomanes because this is a difficult track. Day 6: Campomanes to Mieres is easy.
- A note on waymarking: mojones till the Asturian border. Shells and arrows in Asturia.
- La Robla: albergue is at the end of the centre on the main street at the left side, still on the camino.
- Hostal Ordonez: 35€ with bathroom and shared kitchen, 40€ with private kitchen. Shared kitchen = micro wave, coffee machine, washing machine, vitro keramic stove and basic kitchen ware.
- Ermita del Buen Suceso was not open.
- Pola de Gordon: Hotel El Fontanan is closed for public, notice on the door. But there is a new 2* Hotel: Valle de Gordon, Capitán Lozano 37. Tel. 675 159 259. 50€/2p. Owner can make cenar: 12€/p
- Buiza at the split: the left direction is overpainted: yellow arrow.
- Poladura de Tercia: La Posada: 42€/2p. Cenar = 15€/p
- You can add in the Bold text below: The next day of the journy requires....: Carry a compass or a walking navigator.
- Sta. Maria de Arbas del Puerto: Only open at Sunday.
- From Sta. Maria, the official route follows on the N630 during 1km, just before the silo, just before the bar at Puerto de Pajares. (Last mejon). If you choose to use the bar and/or admire the Asturian landscape: follow the N630. Note: the old parador is for sale. There is a phone number on a notice board. To continue to Pajares: or go back to the silo and follow the arrows, or walk carefully during 700m on the N630 on the right side as there is absolutely no walking space at the left side. At every curve, look behind for approaching trucks. Only walk in a curve if you notice no traffic. Walk till the emergency stop.
- Pajares: before the path joins the N630, the yellow marker points to the left to San Miguel del Rio. Go straight and walk on the N630 if you want to stay in Pajares. After 200m, there is a side walk on the right side.
- Pajares: Hotel Posada real is on the N630 almost at the end of the centre, where the centre road is coming back to the N630. Tel. 600 330 241. Price = 55€/2p for a shared house! All facilities (complete kitchen, washing machine, iron) except wifi or PC. But again, no shops in Pajares.
- Pajares albergue has a lot of PC s. Today, there is only one working. All others have disconnected keyboards, mice are missing, passwords doesn t work. PC s were given by a peregrino. If you have time and the knowledge, you could consider reconstructing the IT part of the albergue.
- Pajares: the hospitalera will ask around 17:00 who is interested in a communal cenar. 9€/p
- Campomanes: Hospedaje Senda del Huerna has 4 rooms con baño. 38€/2p. The owner will offer you immediately fresh mineral water when you arrive. How to access: Open the main door that is always open. Go to the first floor. Owner lives at the left side. Rooms are on the right side. If no response on the left side, go to the 0 floor and check the door behind: owner could be in his private garden. Owner can speak french and has an amazing sello.
shared kitchen with only a micro wave. You can ask the owner for washing your clothes for free.
- Campomanes to Pola de Lena: Camino is now on the right side of the N630.
- Santa Cristina: you will see the roman church on a hill. Here I have a question: is it the goal to continue walking (to the right and may be come back on the camino by doing a kind of loop) or simply after your visit, return to the camino on the same way?`
- Ujo (Uxo): the camino follows the river. You have to leave the camino if you want to enter the center.
- Mieres: Consider to take the first bridge just before the old pedestrian bridge. You will have (finally after many boring kms) a splendid view on the river by looking where you came from. Also the pedestrian bridge: you have to go under the highway and over the railroad.
- Mieres: Hotel Mieres del Camino 3* 60€/2p free wfi, free use of a PC. 6,5€/p for a buffet breakfast.
- Oviedo: Hotel NH 3* 69€/2p, free wifi, free use of a PC. 8€/p for a buffet breakfast.
- Oviedo: bored of Lomo a la plancha con patas fritas? Try Restaurante La Mas Barata, Calle Cimadevilla 2, close to the ayuntamiento. Specialized is rice dishes made in the same way as paella.
- Oviedo: You hear every quarter clocks (I think it s coming from loudspeakers on top of the Cajastur tower) a small part of the official Asturian Anthem Asturias, patria querida. At the hour, you will hear it completely.
- Oviedo: about the 2nd Salvadorana: check other subject.
- Oviedo: albergue is open from 15:00 till 21:00. Hospitalero is present from 17:00

- If possible, you can mention at the end www.radiobuencamino.net for additional pictures available before end of september 2013.

Esmine & Gunnar

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Ok, thanks so much, Gunnar. I will put these into the document. Is there anyone else out there with suggestions???? Thanks, buen camino, Laurie

p.s. GREAT ALBERGUE OPPORTUNITY -- Gunnar says the old parador at the Puerto de pajares is for sale. :)

Gunnar (and anyone else who may have a memory of walking through the Puerto de Pajares) --

I am going to post another thread just on this topic, because based on your notes, I am now a bit confused about how much to say about the segment between Puerto de Pajares(the pass, which has the empty parador, great views and a bar) and Pueblo de Pajares (the town, which has an albergue, a casa rural, and a bar/restaurante)

The rest of your notes are easy to understand and will be incorporated. Thanks, buen camino, Laurie

Hi Laurie,
I returned from the Camino de San Salvador two weeks ago and saw your original request for input. I responded to what I thought was your personal email. I attached a couple of photos to help explain my information. Apparently the message didn't make it to you. Sorry! I'm happy and looking forward to reading the draft. This year was my 2nd time on the spectacular CdSS. Thanks to you and Rebekah for all you do for pilgrims!
Marty Robinson
peregrina56@yahoo.com

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I am waiting for one more set of comments, which I expect over the weekend. So, please, if you have any comments or updates, etc, please either post here or send me an email or PM.

I have gotten a lot of help from a lot of great people, and I think this update will be terrific! Buen camino, Laurie

Most read last week in this forum

(Soon-) Live from the Camino del Salvador - starting end of April 24. We are currently on the Camino de Invierno around 43km before reaching Santiago - from there we will catch a bus to Leon to...
First time posting Live? Left León at 8am. Arrived at Cabanillas 2. The path is very beautiful. 20km total. Followed the River. At first town we went to the lovely Bar and Tienda. I bought cheese...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.