• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Holy communion

Roger Hogstrom

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances 2001 and 2006, Via de la plata 2007,2010,2017,2019. CdM 3 times Ruta de la lana (2021
When I walked Camino de Madrid this year I had a fantastic start the evening before I started at the church in Plaza Santiago. The priest red for us pilgrims and I had the holy communion . Fantasic.
Now to my question , "is it okay to take the holy communion if your not a catholic, I´m a protestant ?

Roger

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
roger,

This question has also been raised in this thread.
el-camino-frances/topic11482.html

IMHO ( as a very lapsed catholic) I would not worry too much. Most priests here in my country are happy enough to see some folk in their churches anyway. There is a big difference in what the Vatican says and what the priests / laypeople tell and act in " real life ".
:)

Hi Roger!

This was a very extensively discussed issue last year and raised passionate feelings among many. Search for the thread - I think it was around summer last year. I don't want to start it off again!

To cut a very long story short, the answer seemed to be only in exceptional circumstances. For example if you usually take communion in your own church but no minister of that church is available, and if you have a genuine spiritual need. You must also understand and accept the significance of communion in the Catholic tradition.

Of course these are open to interpretation.

p.s Sabine beat me to it!

Buen Camino!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi Roger,
We have walked Camino Frankie, Le Puy , Norte, Porto and this year failed on the Madrid/Invierno because of a fall and always ended in Finastere/ Muxia
We went to the church Santiago and lunch in the square with the priest this year in Madrid before we started.

******************We were married in 1972

My best man was a lad with a UK background [ Church of England ]
We are Irish stock arriving in Oz in 1852 and now 4th generation Australian.

****In 1972 the priest who married us had no hesitation in """"" offering """" my best man holy communion at our wedding.
Remember that word "" offering ""

My dad used to say , God bless him , all people are equal and don't take this very short life too seriously.
On our first camino we met 37 different nationalities................and i don't think the Korean Army Officer was a Mic , but a nicer man never met.
WHO CARES WHAT OTHERS DO, WE ARE NOT TO JUDGE

Roger Hogstrom said:
Now to my question , "is it okay to take the holy communion if your not a catholic, I´m a protestant ?
I'm not a Catholic either Roger so am not eligible to receive Holy Communion. When it was time for Communion at the pilgrim mass at Le-Puy-en-Velay the priest asked everyone to come forward with the instruction that if you were not receiving Communion to cross your arms over your chest.

Not sure what to expect, I very tentatively approached to be given a blessing. I found it a very welcoming, inclusive gesture and have since been told that this option is always available to those not receiving Communion.

the priest asked everyone to come forward with the instruction that if you were not receiving Communion to cross your arms over your chest
This is now evident in our Catholic Churches here in Ireland, even young pre-Communion children approach the altar in this way.

Buen Camino.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Back