• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Hospederia San Martin Pinario -- albergue next to the cathed

peregrina2000

Staff member
On another post that I can't now find, there was some discussion about the monastery next to the Cathedral that in the last year or so has been turned into private accommodation. http://www.hsanmartinpinario.com/

If you try to make a reservation on their website, you'll see that the only options that come up are for the non-pilgrim part of the monastery, whose prices are in the 80 euro range.

There is an albergue section, in which rooms for pilgrims are 23 euros per person including breakfast. To reserve one of those rooms, you have to call them; the website isn't available for the albergue.

Phone number is 981 56 0282 (if calling from US, add 011 34).

This place fills up quickly (at least that was my experience in June, when I was unable to get in a week ahead of time). From all reports, it's very nice.

Buen camino, Laurie

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Has anyone who has stayed here in the Pilgrims accommodation got any photos of their rooms? What was your opinion on this place? Thanks

Hi, Sharni,
For me, this is the perfect place to end my camino. I have stayed in the parador, in the lovely Hotel Costa Vella (and also in their spinoff the Altair), in the very clean basic Pension Linares, and a couple of other places, but last year when I stayed in the albergue of San Martin Pinario, I knew this would be where I would try to stay from now on.

The location is directly across from one of the lateral entrances to the Cathedral. The rooms are old seminarian rooms, very basic. There is a bed, desk, and a small bath, kind of spartan but extremely clean. Clean sheets, clean towels, daily housekeeping service. The breakfast buffet is plentiful and varied (it's the same buffet offered to the guest of the hotel part of the operation, which is a 3*** I believe).

When I arrive in Santiago, I yearn for clean sheets and towels, but the other trappings of fancy hotels just don't usually appeal. That makes the San Martin Pinario perfect, for me at least.

But, sorry, I don't have a picture! I'll take one this time, but that will be too late for you, I know .

Buen camino, Laurie

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Thank you Laurie, the rooms you speak of - are they single occupancy rooms? If not, how many pilgrims per room for the 20 Euro fee?

Sharni,

I agree that San Martin Pinario is a VERY good stop in Santiago!

Most pilgrim rooms are singles at 23 Euros, but there are a few double pilgrim rooms and a few rooms with more beds. Ask about these when you email your query. for space to this address >> reservas@sanmartinpinario.eu. Do NOT use the on-line booking form which is only for more expensive tourist accommodation.
I have stayed in simple pilgrim rooms in 2011 and December 2012 and always found it comfortable and most convenient. Added features are the fact that they are open 24/7 so that you can arrive at anytime, the obliging desk staff are multi-lingual, WiFi is free, there are multiple public spaces for casual conversation and the restaurant (open to all) serves a very good 3 course lunch or dinner with wine for only 12 Euros. What more does a tired pilgrim need?

Margaret Meredith

Last year, two in my group got a double, and I think it was 35 euros.

In high season, this place fills up fast, though there are usually a few rooms available at least until noon-ish. Reservations are a good idea. They will ask for a credit card guarantee if you book more than a few days ahead, but what I have done is pick my hoped-for arrival date, guarantee it, and then call a few days ahead if adjustments are necessary. Never a problem.

And they have a good sized storage room behind check-in. I typically send my duffel bag and airplane pillow ahead and they hold it for 6 weeks. You can also leave things while you go out to Finisterre/Muxia, at least if you're coming back for another night.

All in all, a great setup. I know people who have arrived when the albergue was full, spent the first night on the more expensive hotel floor (which they said was very nice), and then transferred up to the albergue floor the next day. There's no one-night policy or anything like that.

Buen camino, Laurie

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Thank you Margaret and Laurie, I have booked here :))

peregrina2000 said:
... And they have a good sized storage room behind check-in. I typically send my duffel bag and airplane pillow ahead and they hold it for 6 weeks...
That's very good to know Laurie. I'm assuming you sent your things by mail in a box? What do you write on the outside of the box? And do you have to make any previous arrangements with them?

I'm flying over with an inexpensive (though nice) carryall to hold my backback, poles, etc., and also things for my extended family in the UK before my walk begins. But I was going to ditch it when I got to Burgos.

But because I'm planning on buying some goodies in SdC to bring back with me, (Torefacto coffee in bluk :D .), it would be nice to have something to carry them back home in, rather than have to get another bag in SdC. Now I know San martin Pinarios will hold it, I can just send it ahead from Burgos.

Sheesh

On another post that I can't now find, there was some discussion about the monastery next to the Cathedral that in the last year or so has been turned into private accommodation. http://www.hsanmartinpinario.com/

If you try to make a reservation on their website, you'll see that the only options that come up are for the non-pilgrim part of the monastery, whose prices are in the 80 euro range.

There is an albergue section, in which rooms for pilgrims are 23 euros per person including breakfast. To reserve one of those rooms, you have to call them; the website isn't available for the albergue.

Phone number is 981 56 0282 (if calling from US, add 011 34).

This place fills up quickly (at least that was my experience in June, when I was unable to get in a week ahead of time). From all reports, it's very nice.

Buen camino, Laurie
Perfect. Thank you.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I'd definitely recommend staying here, it's in a great location right next to the cathedral, all you can eat breakfast and decent accommodation.

I stayed there in the first week of January after walking the Caminho Portuges. Great facilities. The rooms were quite clean apart from the long black hair on the floors in the bathrooms, but cold as the building is made entirely of solid stone. There are however heaters in the rooms and the thing I liked the most was the ensuite bathroom. The rooms for pilgrims are the same as the rest as far as I could tell. I moved rooms after complaining about the noisy Spanish in the next room who came back late and drunk and consequently woke me up. I really was in need if sleep. To my surprise I received a room with double bed... photo attached. The breakfast is good; cereals, toast, coffee, fruit, yoghurt, cheese and cold cuts. No American breakfast though, but after all the greasy pilgrim's menus along the way, I'd had my fair share of "deep fried delicacies". Centrally located, you walk out the front door and straight into the side entrance of the cathedral. I will definitely be going back in May.

Attachments

• 1391319799900.jpg
    1391319799900.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 97
  • 1391319823165.jpg
    1391319823165.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 90
  • 1391319843211.jpg
    1391319843211.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 85
Hi Herman, I think you had a "hotel" room lovely aren't they!! The Pilgrim rooms are up on the top floors and are not as new or nicely appointed but are quite serviceable. I'll see if I have a photo from May 2013.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
As mentioned in the above posts this is a GREAT place to stay; I've stayed there in pilgrim accommodation several times to celebrate arriving in Santiago. Most pilgrim rooms are singles with private bath for 23 Euros. You can email your query for pilgrim space to this address >> reservas@sanmartinpinario.eu. Do NOT use their on-line booking form which is only for more expensive tourist accommodation.

MM

I was on the 2nd floor and had one bar of wi-fi reception. I didn't know that I had a non-pilgrim room. Not complaining though! Perhaps because it was off season?

We stayed in the albergue section on the top floor. We highly recommend it, and it just seemed more "appropriate" to remain a pilgrim a little bit longer, rather than feeling like we had become tourists. image.jpgimage.jpg

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I stayed there too, in a double (two twins) with my niece. I was able to reserve it by phone two days in advance, asking for a "pilgrim" room. Very basic and old, but clean and comfortable. I will also return there and I recommend it! We ate in the dining room. It was one of the least memorable pilgrim's meal, but the room is spectacular so worth it!

I also stayed there twice in June of 2013. The first time was when I arrived in Santiago after walking from SJPP. I had made that reservation by email about 5 days before I arrived in Santiago. I had a single pilgrim room on the top floor and it was perfect after walking from SJPP. I then reserved a room as I headed out to Finisterre and Muxia for my return to Santiago the following week. I would stay there again if I am ever back in Santiago .

Me too loved it on all 3 times, hotel room 1 night was very nice (with my hubbie that time) but we moved into pilgrim quarters, have recommended to others who have moved there also..such nice staff and very helpful and plentiful breakfast, a place to linger and relax and pop out to any Mass in the Cathedral as it so near.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The pilgrims price includes breakfast as much as you can eat. The Pilgrims rooms are on the top floor (level 4). I highly recommend it.

Most read last week in this forum

Does anyone know a good shop I SDC where they have local cheeses, hams and other delicacies to take home?
The Galicia Rail pass is available to anyone who completes the Camino and is awarded the completion certificate. It allows for 3 days of train travel and also discounts to other places you may...
Has anybody recently volunteered at the Pilgrim office for the 15 day timeframe? Where did you stay in Santiago?
For those who are in Santiago 🙏🏻

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back