• We are struggeling with some issues with images and attachments not loading on the forum. This is some left-over problems from the other day. We have back-ups of everything, so nothing is lost, we just need to link things up again so that it works. In short, we are working on it. Sorry! Ivar
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Have a look at this Camino Primitivo Guide made by one of our members.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Hospitales route and Penaseita albergue

I was wondering if anyone knew if the albergue at Penaseita is still open as I'm considering doubling back to it if I do the hospitals route over the mountains? Is there any other accommodation before Berducedo?
Many thanks,
Michael

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
comboyneperegrino said:
I was wondering if anyone knew if the albergue at Penaseita is still open as I'm considering doubling back to it if I do the hospitals route over the mountains? Is there any other accommodation before Berducedo?
Many thanks,
Michael

Michael,

Eroski Consumer lists it http://caminodesantiago.consumer.es./albergue-de-penaseita. However they cite a review from March 26 which is not too great.
Another possibility before Berducedo might be in La Mesa. See this link
http://caminodesantiago.consumer.es./albergue-de-peregrinos-de-la-mesa.

Buen Camino,

Margaret

What is your plan? Are you thinking of going to Hospitales from Tineo or Borris? La Mesa is after Berducedo, or are you going to go via Pola Allande, stay at Berducedo and backtrack to Hospitales?

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I was planning to stay at a private hostel in Campiello rather than Borres as I thought Borres had no restaurants and my camino is both spiritual and gastronomic, plus I thought a good belly full of food would help for the hospitals. It will just make a long day to go to Berducedo but if the weather is good it will just be long, if bad maybe not do it, but I like the mountains in wild weather. Who knows

I walked via Pola in April 2011. When I got to the turn off, the track was covered in fog. The following day, I stopped in Berducedo and spoke to the ones who had gone via Borres. They did say it was basic and that you needed to carry your own food.

Then in August 2011, I rode my bike on the Primitivo and when I got to the turn off for Hospitales, I took the track and went up. I was amazed at how well this track is marked, personally, I would no thave got lost in the fog in April.

When I was on the VDLP this year, I spoke to a Spaniard and he said that he had walked this way in late December. There was snow on the track and he never lost a marker.

When do you plan to go as I will be on the Primitivo again in July?

Hi Davroos
I'm enroute now to Spain to start. I'm in transit at HK and will land at Asturias in a day and originally planned a few days to get over the jet lag and stretch my broken body. I ruptured a disc in my lower back 4 weeks ago so I've been literally flat on my back with some intensive chiro and Accupuncture work to get mobile. I was planning to take it nice and slow as I've had no build up for the walk this time in fact the opposite. On top of that I've got a nice head cold from the air con on this trip. No doubt regardless of when and where you start I think you will pass the crippled sneezing me on the way. All the best,
Michael

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi Michael,
If you read this before you walk the Hospitales on the Primitivo, be aware that turning back to Penaseita from the 'junction' with the Pola de Allande - Berducedo alternative will only save you about 1 kilometer! This at the expense of dropping down some 400 mts of altitude and having to do it all again next day.
If you go by Pola de Allande, Penasieta albergue was open last month when we went by (we stayed in Pola) and the cafe 'Casa Vinas' nearby was functioning. It is always a bit of a gamble as to what will be open or closed! The very useful bar at Lago (5 k before Berducedo) was closed when we got there. A note on the door said "owing to family sickness"!!!

Casa Herminia in Campiello was a bit of a disappointment. Rather expensive for the accomodation offered and the food was pretty basic. The welcome however was as warm and friendly as ever, and we were duly fed and watered in the back room after a large (I think funeral party) had finished their meal at 3.00 p.m.

We will be posting a lot of details when we get sorted. We only arrived back in the U.K. last night after nearly 6 weeks in Spain!!

Blessings on your walking
Tio Tel

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all! Started today from Oviedo to Escamplero. Now I know, why so many people say it's a bit of a challenge to come out of Oviedo. I got lost just once, but was rescued by a very friendly guy. A...
I have been trying to find a way to avoid the circus during the last stages of Frances. In two hours you can take the Lugo - Ourense train and walk the last stages on the Plata. Is it a good idea...
https://www.alojamientoloshospitales.com/albergue I found a link to this place in an old thread, but can't find it on WisePilgrim, the Gronze map or if I search by address. Can someone tell me...
Hi all Heading out for a meal tonight and Pilgrim mass before starting the Primitivo tomorrow. Any recommendations on where to get a great meal in Oviedo?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.