Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Hotel in santander and best way to get to oviedo

werther59

Time of past OR future Camino
(2012) Saint Jean to Santiago. (august 2013) plan to walk fron Porto to Santiago
Hi, will be arriving in santander in aug. 4th to walk the camino primitivo. Does anybody know of a good cheap hotel in Santander . The next morning we want to reach Oviedo from where we shall begin our camino. What is the best way to get there train or bus. Thanks for the information

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi, werther59, welcome to the forum!

Last time I was in Santander, I knew I would be arriving late and assumed the albergue would be full. It wasn't, so I didn't have to go to my Plan B, which is this place -- looks nice.

http://www.hostelsantander.com

Train to Oviedo would probably require a FEVE along the coast and then a transfer at Gijon or Aviles. But if you check movelia.es, you'll see there are about 10 daily buses, all 2-3 hours. That's probably easiest.

Buen camino, Laurie

We took the FEVE train that runs along the coast leaves at 9.10 am or 16.10 and takes 6 1/2 hours, no change was needed when we used it as it turns inland through Arriondas. The ALSA bus also goes there as Laurie says, and the train and bus stations are both together not far from the ferry port. I would suggest looking for 'Santander, Cantabria, Spain' on a site such as booking.com or venere.com for a hotel near the station. They are not cheap, but if breakfast is included they are reasonable and convenient. We stayed in the Celuisma Alisas in May 2012 and 2013 - very helpful and friendly.
Buen Camino

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi, werther59, welcome to the forum!

Last time I was in Santander, I knew I would be arriving late and assumed the albergue would be full. It wasn't, so I didn't have to go to my Plan B, which is this place -- looks nice.

http://www.hostelsantander.com
This looks like the old 'Hotel Rex' where we stayed on our way home from S. America (by sea, across Spain and by ferry) in late 1980. Very old fashioned then but comfortable and not at all worried about a midnight arrival with 9 trunks..........:) (A long story) The photo and its situation near the docks etc is right.
So pleased to see it in its new form

If you're not laden with stuff, take the ferry over to Somo on the east side of the inlet, where there are a number of medium-priced hostales. Then the next morning, take the FEVE to Oviedo--I would opt for it over the bus as Spanish trains generally run through very scenic turf.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

Can anyone recommend a good snack to buy for the hospitalès route Nothing major just something to keep me going Many thanks

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back