• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

How Fit Were You at the Start?

LesBrass

Likes Walking
Time of past OR future Camino
yes...
Hello everyone

I've got 2 months before I start my walk. I've never done anything like this before. I've been preparing, learning, getting kit and of course walking... but the closer I get the more nervous I am.

Have I done enough? Will I be fit enough? Will I cope? Will I get homesick? Will 7 weeks be enough? Will I ... Will I... and what if?!

I've planned five 3-day trips in the next 2 months where I can walk for 3 days in a row but I still feel unprepared... I still get lost and miss markers when I'm walking... I am still only walking 15km on my day walks... still not sure of my boots... how on earth am I going to walk 800km!

So... were you super fit? Where/are you in excellent health? Where/are you totally prepared? Did you have doubts and fears? Am I just worrying about everything?

Just interested... :confused::rolleyes:

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I think you'll be fine. I haven't really done any training and I'm leaving in 3 weeks. I walk to and from work everyday and was a runner in the past but I'm currently overweight and I'm not shaking in my boots. Im going to do some practice walks around 10-15 miles with my gear the next couple of weeks but I'm more concerned with getting the right boots socks etc bc I think they matter more than anything. I'm getting a couple massages before I go as I find that helps me when I train immensely. I'm also taking other peoples advice and buying walking sticks as soon as I get there since I can't bring them as carryon and just listening to my body. I think you'll be fine with 7 weeks. I only have 5 weeks but it sounds like you could definitely squeeze some rest days in if need be. Remember people in their retired years are doing this and even well into their 70s and at the end of the day it's a long walk and you can take it slow if you need to. I'm getting more and more excited with each passing day. Can't wait to get there!

Have I done enough? Will I be fit enough? Will I cope? Will I get homesick? Will 7 weeks be enough? Will I ... Will I... and what if?!
You can do the Camino in some manner at your level of fitness.

If you stick to a plan, try to keep up, walk when you are tired, or do not accommodate injury and pain, you may not succeed. Read the tribulations of ChilledKat to get a sense of overdoing it after very little planning and training.

Do not let anxiety deter you, but do be realistic when you are actually walking. If it takes two weeks of 10km days to get into shape, be prepared to do exactly that. You can do it, but you may not be able to do it as "everyone" else does (keeping in mind that "everyone" may not be accurately describing the buses and taxis they took).

Ultreia!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I walked the Frances in Nov-13 with minimal preparation.
2 weeks of wearing my boots all day to break them in.
No practice walks other than 3 dog walks p/day, probably no more than 10k p/d.
I'm not saying it was easy at the start.
I had challenges. I struggled with my energy levels and I took a while to pace myself properly.
And ..... I still made it in around 5 weeks.
A little bit .... or even quite a lot ... of apprehension is normal and healthy.
It's not 800km in one hit. It's a series of long walks, as many say here.
There were a few times when it was definitely one foot in front of another, just counting off 10 paces, 50 paces, 100 paces.
And there were many more times when the scenery, the solitude, the companionship all just made it so easy.
Will it all be smooth going ? No.
Will you have challenges? Yes.
Will you overcome it all, have a life-changing experience and be a stronger, changed person? Yes !

Philly I'm am so with you on the boots issue! I'm on my third pair of boots... still not sure they are for me but I have to break them in yet so it's too soon to tell. I've also got a paid of keen sandals that arrived yesterday - they seem really comfortable so I will take them as a spare/second pair.

Falcon and Hampshire Tim... thanks for the encourgement. I think I'll feel happier when my boots feel right and when I've done a few more days of walking... and a 20km day! I think I'm a worrier and I think the enormity of the CF is begining to sink in! o_O

Will you overcome it all, have a life-changing experience and be a stronger, changed person? Yes !

My husband has said that he hopes I dont change too much... he kind of likes the version he has now :D

If you're still not decided on boots take a look at the meindl women's hiking boots on cabelas.com. I ordered and tried most if the boots that were recommended at least if few times on the forum at least 6 pairs and I loved those the most they are soft leather goretex with great traction I feel so stable in them. I think the most important thing for me was to have enough toe space because my feet swell after long distances and the merrells had no give in my opinion. But hey everyone has different preferences and I heard very good things about the keen sandals but I decided to only bring boots and flip flops to change into to save on weight.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
One thing I didn't do enough of was walking along the streets rather than out in the country. The Camino involves a lot of walking on roads and pavements, especially through various cities and towns. Killer on the feet.

LesBrass,

Go easy.

It is good to train while wearing/carrying whatever you plan to take. Tried and true is better than new and never worn/used for all your camino gear. Although training is most important nothing really prepares your body for the daily repeated routine of walking the camino week after week except walking daily with all your kit week after week.

Although I had walked throughout the summer hiking 20 k up the 1060 meter Ibaneta pass via the Valcarlos route the first time in autumn 2004 at 65 to the monastery at Roncesvalles was certainly the most physically exhausting day of my adult life then to date. I was pooped! Beneath a deep blue sky and brilliant sun I gasped and ached while my pack felt like bricks.

After about 5 hours I finally staggered over the pass into a picnic area filled with a munching mob; they had arrived by bus and cars! Never will I forget the look that one très correct French woman drinking champagne from a crystal flute, no plastic for her, gave me as I trudged past exhausted! ET would have been better received....Nevertheless eventually I made it to Santiago walking slowly all the way.

Ever since I always walk very easy. Daily distances cited in the guidebooks are not sacred; remember the fable of the tortoise and the hare.

Ever since on every camino I have eventually sensed that special moment when everything 'clicked'. Then I realized that it was, indeed, MY way and that all was and would be good. Perhaps such secular transcendence felt while walking might be akin to what runners call 'the zone'. Your body can handle the task while your spirit glows with the effort. Neither easy, nor impossible; all simply is. Thus, you resolve to continue.

Happy training and Buen Camino,

Margaret Meredith

Philly... I'll bear that in mind. I've tried a posh pair from Decathalon, Merrells and now Mammut...I wear the shoes around the house but the only real way to see if they work is to walk in them... and then of course you cant take them back :) I'm still hoping the mamut will be the one!

Padre - my last walk was mainly on roads and I found I was having to walk on the camber of the road a lot and my feet really hurt at the end of the walk.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
About the boots. Have you considered and experimented with different lacing techniques? Do a forum search and a YouTube search. A change of lacing technique changed my acceptable but small niggle boots into a near-perfect fit. Just a thought.

Never will I forget the look that one très correct French woman drinking champagne from a crystal flute, no plastic for her, gave me as I trudged past exhausted! ET would have been better received....Nevertheless eventually I made it to Santiago walking slowly all the way.

I know that look :D

Hello everyone

I've got 2 months before I start my walk. I've never done anything like this before. I've been preparing, learning, getting kit and of course walking... but the closer I get the more nervous I am.

I've planned five 3-day trips in the next 2 months where I can walk for 3 days in a row but I still feel unprepared... I still get lost and miss markers when I'm walking... I am still only walking 15km on my day walks... still not sure of my boots... how on earth am I going to walk 800km!

So... were you super fit? Where/are you in excellent health? Where/are you totally prepared? Did you have doubts and fears? Am I just worrying about everything?

LesBrass:

Have you done enough? Whatever you have done up to the point of your departure will be enough.

You will be fit enough. Start slowly and listen to your body.

You will adjust to the changes and even find some of them rewarding. (Coping)

You probably will get homesick at sometime but with support from home and your Camino Family you will survive and thrive.

I am not sure it is possible to totally prepare. How do you prep for walking a half marathon a day for a month? That said, anyone can do it.

Buy yourself some comfortable boots, shoes or sandals. Break them in before the walk.

Start slowly and listen to your body. If you get a hot spot, stop and address the problem. The Camino will take care of the rest.

It is very reasonable for you to be apprehensive. Many have gone before you, had similar feelings and completed this journey.

Ultreya,
Joe

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
LesBrass, I'm glad you've got the Keen sandals. I remember reading in another post that you live in sandals at home. You can always wear those if the boots cause problems. I would.

As to fitness - you sound way fitter than I am when I start my Caminos. I can really only train for the Camino on the Camino. Take it slowly. Yes, you do have plenty of time. For goodness sake, don't rush the first few days. Listen to your body, listen to your feet. And the birds, cowbells, wind in the trees.

With training, keep doing what you can but don't beat yourself up. More important is to have an accepting attitude - what will be will be. We play our part by being determined and persistent but sometimes I think I'm just along for the ride - and have very little control over what happens.

Anxiety is natural on a first Camino and we all experience it at some stages - even the most experienced. You are a performer so know about stage fright. Use your anxiety and adrenaline to help you prepare, but don't let it overwhelm or put you off course because this is a l-o-n-g performance. Once you get the first few songs under your belt you will feel better!

I'll be applauding you.

Last edited:
LesBrass, I'm glad you've got the Keen sandals. I remember reading in another post that you live in sandals at home. You can always wear those if the boots cause problems. I would.

As to fitness - you sound way fitter than I am when I start my Caminos. I can really only train for the Camino on the Camino. Take it slowly. Yes, you do have plenty of time. For goodness sake, don't rush the first few days. Listen to your body, listen to your feet. And the birds, cowbells, wind in the trees.

With training, keep doing what you can but don't beat yourself up. More important is to have an accepting attitude - what will be will be. We play our part by being determined and persistent but sometimes I think I'm just along for the ride - and have very little control over what happens.

Anxiety is natural on a first Camino and we all experience it at some stages - even the most experienced. You are a performer so know about stage fright. Use your anxiety and adrenaline to help you prepare, but don't let it overwhelm or put you off course because this is a l-o-n-g performance. Once you get the first few songs under your belt you will feel better!

I'll be applauding you.

Thank you, Kanga. Very comforting. I love reading your posts. Xo

Philly... I'll bear that in mind. I've tried a posh pair from Decathalon, Merrells and now Mammut...I wear the shoes around the house but the only real way to see if they work is to walk in them... and then of course you cant take them back :) I'm still hoping the mamut will be the one!

Padre - my last walk was mainly on roads and I found I was having to walk on the camber of the road a lot and my feet really hurt at the end of the walk.
LesBrass, I see you are having trouble finding the perfect shoes. I know you are in France, but do you have access to trail runners like Brooks Cascadia or New Balance? A running store or good outdoor store should carry something similar.
Many hikers are even using these for the AT and unlike hiking shoes, they seem to fit right out of the box.

One thing I didn't do enough of was walking along the streets rather than out in the country. The Camino involves a lot of walking on roads and pavements, especially through various cities and towns. Killer on the feet.
Now that is interesting because we don't have a lot of dirt/rocky terrain to train on and I was worried that we were doing too much on roads and pavements. Two weeks ago we drove to an area that had lots of off road walking opportunities and stayed there for 4 days training. I just want to get started now because my head keeps going around and around about what we might have forgotten to do or plan to take.

I know that look :D
I know that look. We were in an upmarket area recently and I went into a shoe shop to enquire about a travel shop that was supposed to be in the area. I was in full hiking gear. The assistant took one look at me, (up and down) and did a "wrong" assessment and told me she had no idea where such a shop would be! I felt like going back later all dressed up, with a shoe bag from another shop and doing the "Pretty Woman" movie line of "mistake, big mistake"..... The world would be so much better if we didn't make such value judgements based on dress.

Hello everyone

you can do the 800 at a step at a time

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Now that is interesting because we don't have a lot of dirt/rocky terrain to train on and I was worried that we were doing too much on roads and pavements. Two weeks ago we drove to an area that had lots of off road walking opportunities and stayed there for 4 days training. I just want to get started now because my head keeps going around and around about what we might have forgotten to do or plan to take.
Your head spinning with excitement is not new as mine has been spinning since I left last year, its now in a massive spin as September gets closer.

LesBrass,

I know what you are going through. I have been having the same worries and doubts. So far my long days are only 16 km (10 miles). I have no hills to train on and I haven't started training with my pack yet for my mid-September start. I will be traveling to the Appalachian Trail here in the U.S. and will hike 3 or 4 days on it with my pack in a couple of weeks. That should tell me something. So far no blisters, but I expect ascents and descents are the hardest on the feet and my feet haven't been tested under those conditions.

I have Keen Whisper sandals and I really like them. My hiking shoes are Merrell Moabs. They are waterproof and I think that might be a mistake. I knew they make a foot hotter, but REI was pushing them and as my feet are normally cold, I thought, okay. Since training in them, however, I have experienced hot feet and am thinking I might have to change to a different shoe. They feel a little heavy to me, too. I am going to see a podiatrist for the first time ever tomorrow so will see what she thinks.

I think my biggest mistake might be having allowed only 5 weeks to walk. I have a roundtrip ticket for 6 weeks but allowing for travel to and from and 2 days in Paris leaves me with only 34 days to walk. That was very poor planning on my part. I am at least heeding others advice about starting slowly. I will have a rest day in SJPP and then the first night in Orisson and the 2nd night in Roncesvalles. I intend to listen to my body and if that means 10 - 15 km days, then so be it. Travel plans may have to be adjusted. C'est la vie!

I read a funny quote in a travel book the other day. It read, "If you want to hear God laugh, just tell Him your plans." That made me smile. :) I'm going to try to flow with my Camino. Time will tell! I'm looking forward to meeting you.

Mary

Hi! Try not to think about the 800kms. Try to think of it as a series of days instead. Living in the day helps you to keep in tune with what's going on with your body, how fit you feel that day, and (taking everything into account) where is a good place to aim for by evening. Being in that mindset also helps you to enjoy it more. It's fine to be looking forward to the mountains that are coming up in a few days, for example, but they're for you to enjoy in a few days time. Enjoy today and linger if an animal is doing something funny in a field, or the light is hitting a hill beautifully. These little pauses will stop you overdoing it and rushing.

I was never fit before a Camino, but you definitely feel yourself getting stronger as the days and weeks go on. It's really quite a fast process (maybe a week or two after the initial shocks subside). Enjoy the feeling on the day it hits you how good you're starting to feel.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I read a lovely quote today : "Wake up every morning and lift your eyes up and see the objective at the end of the path. Then lift your feet up and take the first step on that path"

You will be fine LesBrass, try to walk for an hour every day, before or after work, if you can do that you will be fit enough. On the Camino you will walk for an hour or so and have a little break, have a cafe con leche, walk another hour and repeat, before you know it you will have covered 20k. All else will fall into place. As tyrrek says think in the day, dont worry about the 800k picture, you will nibble away at that day by day.

LesBrass, if you weren't nervous and second guessing everything about doing the Camino, you'd most likely be the first to not do that. It's a huge undertaking, most likely different from anything you've done before. That's why it's scary....you have nothing to compare it to. Before I started mine in 2012 I had the same thoughts, (800 kilometers? am i crazy?)plus worried about keeping up with my son (22) and a friend (35), since I was 56. But once I was there everything just fell into place. You'll find your own perfect walking rhythm, you'll know when it's time to rest and those other, unbelievable times when you're somehow so full of energy that you can surpass your goal for the day. Relax and know you're gonna be fine.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Wow... what a nice bunch of people you are! So many excellent snippets of advice that there are too many to quote but THANK YOU all. So I guess I have to stop worrying and just walk... one step at a time.

(ps. if there was a little kiss smily face i'd use it... but there isn't so you can have this one instead) :cool:

LesBrass,

I know what you are going through. I have been having the same worries and doubts. So far my long days are only 16 km (10 miles). I have no hills to train on and I haven't started training with my pack yet for my mid-September start. I will be traveling to the Appalachian Trail here in the U.S. and will hike 3 or 4 days on it with my pack in a couple of weeks. That should tell me something. So far no blisters, but I expect ascents and descents are the hardest on the feet and my feet haven't been tested under those conditions.

I have Keen Whisper sandals and I really like them. My hiking shoes are Merrell Moabs. They are waterproof and I think that might be a mistake. I knew they make a foot hotter, but REI was pushing them and as my feet are normally cold, I thought, okay. Since training in them, however, I have experienced hot feet and am thinking I might have to change to a different shoe. They feel a little heavy to me, too. I am going to see a podiatrist for the first time ever tomorrow so will see what she thinks.

I think my biggest mistake might be having allowed only 5 weeks to walk. I have a roundtrip ticket for 6 weeks but allowing for travel to and from and 2 days in Paris leaves me with only 34 days to walk. That was very poor planning on my part. I am at least heeding others advice about starting slowly. I will have a rest day in SJPP and then the first night in Orisson and the 2nd night in Roncesvalles. I intend to listen to my body and if that means 10 - 15 km days, then so be it. Travel plans may have to be adjusted. C'est la vie!

I read a funny quote in a travel book the other day. It read, "If you want to hear God laugh, just tell Him your plans." That made me smile. :) I'm going to try to flow with my Camino. Time will tell! I'm looking forward to meeting you.

Mary
Mary,
My husband ia also wearing Merrill Moabs, but his are not waterproof. I'm wearing Brooks Cascadia trail runners and love them so much that I just bought a second pair (one for training). Hubby also got a pair and he likes them much better than his Merrills and will most likely wear them on the Camino.
Go back to REI and give them a try, don't think you'll be disappointed.
On a brighter note.....you can always bus a couple of days somewhere in the middle which will enable you to complete your Camino. See you on the 12th.

I was very very fit, but the wrong boots "killed" me. Needed several resting days 'cause i could not walk any more, not one more step, seriously...literally (Never ever boots again! Only shoes from now on)

I've seen and heard from lots of people who weren't fit at all and had no problems (getting to SdC) in about 5 weeks.

You will be fine, just make sure you buy the right shoes. Bad footwear is much wors then a bad fitness level.
Your fitness level will only get better during the walk, bad shoes will only make things wors during the walk.

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
LB -

First time, very fit.

Second time, not at all, for reasons beyond my control. But I still had to go.

To compensate on #2, I took a more relaxed approach and listened carefully to my body for the first 10 days. (I listened to it after that too but perhaps not so slavishly.:))

Camino 1 - 33 days from SJPP to SdC
Camino 2 - 34 days from SJPP to SdC

So, my personal lesson was that what matters is not over-walking your personal limits.

B

You will be fine! If this 61 year old with a dodgy heart and 2stone excess weight can manage it , you will breeze it. Start slowly, wear two pairs of socks and test your boots for at least a month. Most people give up due to problems with feet/legs/back because they push too hard. A week in you will be as fit as a ferret! Enjoy

...Will I ... Will I... and what if?!
You've received a lot of good advice. My advice is to chill out and go with the flow. If you're a religious person, we call that trusting Jesus or trusting the Holy Spirit. Just go with an open mind and leave all those preconceived anxieties at home. Once you get started walking you'll be amazed at how quickly those anxieties will fade away.

Another bit of advice is not to think of the Camino as an 800-kilometer journey and how far you have to go to reach Santiago -- think of it as a 15, 20 or 25 kilometer journey each day, and be sure to take a rest when you feel the need. Get a nice hotel in the larger cities and relax for a day. While walking, pick a landmark up ahead -- a tree or a building perhaps 200 or 300 meters away -- and focus on getting there. Then pick another landmark and focus on getting to that one. You'll be surprised at the progress you make that way. Make frequent stops for a cool drink, a cup of café con leche, or a snack. If you fall behind your schedule, don't feel bad about taking a bus to skip a stage or two (but be sure to not skip anything after Sarria).

Take care of your feet and they will take care of you.

Buen Camino,
Jim

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
well... today I did a 10 km circuit near home in my new boots and I have to say that so far they seem ok... and I've yet to break them in... so hopefully they will just get better?

Also, today I walked with my pack for the first time... weighted down so it was 8kg... that made a difference on the hills! But I dont feel too bad, my feet feel ok and whilst I was hot and tired going up the hills I felt ok for the most part.

I also decided that I am going to book my first few days accommodation. I'm booked in at Orrison, the next night should be fine for a bed at Roncevalles... then I'm going to book somewhere like Viscarret the following night and Zubiri... this way if I book in advance, I have to stop after around 10km and I dont need to think or worry about where I will sleep for the first few days. And, even if I meet fabulous folks that I want to stay with... I have to stop and take it easy in the first few days.

I'm glad I chatted this over with you all... it helps me put things in perspective and also helps me make the right choices! :cool:

... then I'm going to book somewhere like Viscarret the following night and Zubiri...

Corozon Puro in Viscarret is fine pension with friendly helpful hosts, twin bedded rooms and good food. In Zubiri the private albergue El Palo de Avalleno offers either bunk beds or true beds in dorms as well as some private rooms. Their food is also very good. I hope to return once again to both spots later this autumn.

MM

Corozon Puro in Viscarret is fine pension with friendly helpful hosts, twin bedded rooms and good food. In Zubiri the private albergue El Palo de Avalleno offers either bunk beds or true beds in dorms as well as some private rooms. Their food is also very good. I hope to return once again to both spots later this autumn.

MM

you're a star! I've just posted a question asking for just such a recommendation... thank you! I wish I could just pop you in my pocket and take you with me! :D

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hello everyone

Hi LesBrass,
I walked the Camino Frances from SJPP to Santiago last year in the summer. I was not physically fit & a little overweight. Living in flatland Indianapolis didn't help either. I must have trained to walk about 4 months during the summer a year prior to my Camino. I think what helped me during my Camino was : no expectations, that way I don't dwell on disappointments because there will be some; I took my time walking-I listened to my body, rested or stopped walking when my body said so whether I reached my town goal or not. I made sure I have good walking shoes (for me it was Keen TargheeII, one size bigger. Keen was the only brand I tried with really wide toe box), wore smart wool socks, put on new socks around lunchtime making sure I massage my feet first then slather my feet with Vaseline before continuing my walk. I did this religiously every day. No blisters all the way to Santiago. I used pacer poles-walking stick or poles IMHO is a must. I also had Altus poncho which was God sent when it poured endlessly. I pampered my feet & drank lots of water. I'm not going to say the walk was easy- for me it was hard but doable and I approached it with a sense of adventure where I hoped to learn from my experiences. The Camino did not let me down-it made me a better person. I hope to walk it again next year on my 71st birthday. Don't be afraid LesBrass, this will be an experience of your lifetime. By the way I'm also a type 2 diabetic & I had to carry insulin pens & pills with me but I made it & so will you.
Be safe & Buen Camino.
Remy

...... If you get a hot spot, stop and address the problem .....
Excellent advice! Nineteen days into my Camino I developed a hot spot, and I did not recognize it for what it was – after all, up to that time I had been completely symptom-free, and was walking in the most comfortable boots I have ever owned. Imagine my surprise at the end of the day when I discovered a blister on my heel down near the bottom where the skin is quite thick, and where I’d never before had a blister. Fortunately, my blister was treatable, but the tendinitis that surfaced the following day, due no doubt to my adjusting my gait because of the developing blister, was another matter.

Don’t take lightly the advice regarding hot spots.

Buen Camino.:)

@LesBrass, there is a lot that can be done in two months to improve your walking fitness. Before my first camino, I followed the Aussiewalk training program at http://www.aussiewalk.com.au/training.htm. This year, I was less disciplined, but did do the two longer distances at the Canberra Walking Festival (42km/30km) before leaving for Europe. The program shown can be modified to move the longer walks around so that weekday training can be fitted in with other obligations, like going to work!

Regards,

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Thanks for the link Doug - I had something in my mind about making sure I walk an hour at least a day in the last 10 weeks... this gives me a bit of structure so very usefu. It's high summer in France and I'm gigging twice a week so this restricts my walking a bit... but a 3 hour gig is pretty exhausting and full on so I'm hoping this counts for something :cool:

p.s. re hotspots... my husband walked with me today. Part way through he thought he had a hotspot on his toe. Out from my pack I pulled spare woollen socks, liner socks and sportslick... got him to change from his normal everyday socks... let his feet breath for a bit and put the new socks on... worked a treat! :)

Currently I am walking 7 km most days, so about 40 km/week. Sometimes double and sometimes none. The limitation of 24 hours per day is what gets in the way, and that won't change before I head to the camino in October. Soooo, I have decided that this training is fine. It is what it is. At least I should avoid overuse injury before I leave home. In fact, after a couple of months of this I feel much stronger and fitter than before.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
At least I should avoid overuse injury before I leave home.
Well, yes and no. I agree that you should avoid overuse injury at all times. However, there have been a fair number of Forum Members who have had an existing condition reach a crisis in the first couple of days. Pilgrims with known knee and ankle conditions should determine in training that they won't be headed home after three days on the Camino. The Camino is really not the place to first test your physical capabilities. Those who have never walked 20km with a pack should do it at least once. The result will tell you whether you can do it for 35 days in a row!:)

All training and walking should be non-destructive testing. By that I mean, do not find your limit by going past it and getting an injury. When it begins to feel like the limit, quit. The end of the day is prime time for injury. You are tired, joints a bit inflamed, muscles exhausted, low on hydration, and flopping around a bit. Giving in to that little voice that says, "I can do five more" is quite dangerous, particularly for those who are not "young."

@LesBrass, there is a lot that can be done in two months to improve your walking fitness. Before my first camino, I followed the Aussiewalk training program at http://www.aussiewalk.com.au/training.htm. This year, I was less disciplined, but did do the two longer distances at the Canberra Walking Festival (42km/30km) before leaving for Europe. The program shown can be modified to move the longer walks around so that weekday training can be fitted in with other obligations, like going to work!

Regards,
Thanks Doug I am at that stage of "have we done enough training" but this program confirmed we are on target. My husband has lost 7kgs in weight since he started walking seriously after Christmas so that has been an added bonus for him.

Dutch I was exactly the same. Wore shoes the next time and brought sandals this time. Start tomorrow gulp

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Pilgrims with known knee and ankle conditions should determine in training that they won't be headed home after three days on the Camino. The Camino is really not the place to first test your physical capabilities. Those who have never walked 20km with a pack should do it at least once. The result will tell you whether you can do it for 35 days in a row!:)

The first time I walked 20km was actually on my first Camino (the Frances). I have two knees that are troublesome from old skiing injuries and an ankle fracture a few years ago. I don't think it is necessary or always possible to test physical capabilities before the Camino. What I find important when I use the Camino to get fit (as I sometimes do) is taking it easily to start and building gradually - just as I would if training off the Camino. It takes some planning and can affect my choice of route. Hence one year we started by walking along a canal (dead flat). The first couple of days might be only 8km, building during that week to 15 km per day, the second and third gradually increase to 20/25. By the end of three weeks I am about ready to walk the Camino!

A couple of times I have been in reasonable shape when I started a Camino and it definitely is more pleasurable.

Walk a few hills up and down in your boots, plus wear your rucksack with the kit in that you are taking. Take less, you can always buy if you are short of anything when on the trail.

I walked from Lisbon in Keen sandals. Didn't meet any mud though. Had approach shoes for the Frances.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Don't think one can really train for the Camino--even the military does NOT hike 30+ days in a row. Footgear is the most important as blisters will soon stop you. You will soon adjust to any pack and any weight but your feet have to be in good shape. Recently finished SJPDP to Santiago. Saw flip flops, boots, sneakers, sandals on walkers who also finished. My novia's boots fell apart in asturga and she bought a pair of sneakers and just kept walking with no problems.

You have enough time--look at maps and take short cuts; use common sense; it really is an intelligence test. Smart people walk around hills , not up and down them for no particular reason, especially when it is much shorter to bypass hills. Staff at albergues will tell you of short cuts around busy city streets, e,g. Would never walk thru Leon or Burgos again! Take a taxi unless you really like to walk along industrial warehouses for several hours. No one really knows where the original Camino trail is--you will see signs of old portions of the trail fenced off by landowners.

Well, I'm sure you can train for the camino, my mother finish her first camino Frances in 23 days , the second Frances in 25 days and she just finish the Norte in 27 days ending in finisterre , how? Well she trains either by walking to her job or biking .
It's about 15klm a day and at her work she walks around 10 klm more (counted). And her backpack was just under 5 kg without water and food.

It's different than my way of walking but she likes to walk fast and a lot :)

There is a kind of energy on the Camino that helps you along, it feels very different than walking/training alone at home.

I remember when I was on the Camino, a very old person I was walking beside stopped, smiled and shuffled her feet slowly in the dirt, raising the dust. Then she said: "Can you feel that? Their spirit is here in the dirt, in the dust."

All those hundreds of thousands of pilgrims have left a little something behind, and it will help you. The trail really is alive that way, I think.

Excellent advice! Nineteen days into my Camino I developed a hot spot, and I did not recognize it for what it was – after all, up to that time I had been completely symptom-free, and was walking in the most comfortable boots I have ever owned. Imagine my surprise at the end of the day when I discovered a blister on my heel down near the bottom where the skin is quite thick, and where I’d never before had a blister. Fortunately, my blister was treatable, but the tendinitis that surfaced the following day, due no doubt to my adjusting my gait because of the developing blister, was another matter.

Don’t take lightly the advice regarding hot spots.

Buen Camino.:)
Ah yes...hot spots. Someone told me. As you walk along try to collect the sheep/lambs wool on the bushes. Gather it in a bag as you go. Put it straight away on any hot spot you feel and tape it there, the natural lanolin will stop a blister forming! Amazing but apparently true.

Hello everyone

so excited for you! I am not very fit but I finished leon to Santiago in 14 days! I miss it already! be blessed! ibuen camino!

Hello everyone

LesBrass:
Before I left last year I had spent some time walking several miles at a time and often would do a three mile route that was almost all up hill. I had many of the same concerns and questions you have in terms of fitness and it turned out fine. (and I was just under 70 years old and never an athlete) Just go at your own speed and let your body tell you what you have to do. As to boots, you are walking quite a bit in yours in advance so you know how they fit and how they feel...no problem. You might consider doing your practice hikes equipped as you will be on the Camino (backpack,etc.)The anxieties you are feeling are normal and you will find that it will all work out fine and you are in for an unforgettable experience that will change your life in a positive way. Just go with an open mind, a spirit of adventure, an outgoing nature and enjoy it.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
LesBrass,

Go easy.

It is good to train while wearing/carrying whatever you plan to take. Tried and true is better than new and never worn/used for all your camino gear. Although training is most important nothing really prepares your body for the daily repeated routine of walking the camino week after week except walking daily with all your kit week after week.

Although I had walked throughout the summer hiking 20 k up the 1060 meter Ibaneta pass via the Valcarlos route the first time in autumn 2004 at 65 to the monastery at Roncesvalles was certainly the most physically exhausting day of my adult life then to date. I was pooped! Beneath a deep blue sky and brilliant sun I gasped and ached while my pack felt like bricks.

After about 5 hours I finally staggered over the pass into a picnic area filled with a munching mob; they had arrived by bus and cars! Never will I forget the look that one très correct French woman drinking champagne from a crystal flute, no plastic for her, gave me as I trudged past exhausted! ET would have been better received....Nevertheless eventually I made it to Santiago walking slowly all the way.

Ever since I always walk very easy. Daily distances cited in the guidebooks are not sacred; remember the fable of the tortoise and the hare.

Ever since on every camino I have eventually sensed that special moment when everything 'clicked'. Then I realized that it was, indeed, MY way and that all was and would be good. Perhaps such secular transcendence felt while walking might be akin to what runners call 'the zone'. Your body can handle the task while your spirit glows with the effort. Neither easy, nor impossible; all simply is. Thus, you resolve to continue.

Happy training and Buen Camino,

Margaret Meredith
Margaret: Wonderful posting! I also remember what a butt kicking that trek over the Pyrenees to Roncesvalles was..I was also dragging. I had been as tired on other occasions but this was at least more beautiful and, as always with any aspect of the Camino, special.
Robert J. Fernandez

Hello everyone

No One was less prepared than me. I was overweight, had done no physical preparation, did not even look at a Camino map before I left and never bought one along the way. I made it to Santiago one step at a time. So will you.

Ah yes...hot spots. Someone told me. As you walk along try to collect the sheep/lambs wool on the bushes. Gather it in a bag as you go. Put it straight away on any hot spot you feel and tape it there, the natural lanolin will stop a blister forming! Amazing but apparently true.

Hi Katie51-
I agree with you-I bought a small pack of lambswool from the drugstore here in Indy to add to my first aid kit, very inexpensive. I was glad I did. When my left toe was sore I'd wrap it with a thin layer of lambswool, then taped it. It really helped avoiding blisters. On my next Camino I will look out for those lambswool along the way.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
LesBrass please don't worry. I had some of your fears and apprehension too and I am much older. Santiago is 1000 kms from here....I spent a few months walking around the Gers for a couple of hours three times a week, in old boots and then my new boots which I found in TK MAXX of all places - they were wonderful, but I had the torrential rain of May on the camino last year and even waterproofed they got wet.

I enjoyed every minute of my Camino, met wonderful people, fell in love with nature, wrote a blog in email form and as each day passed, I got stronger and walking became easier. If you feel yourself flagging, just say to yourself "Just get on with it" and that has been my motto ever since....Sadly I had to stop after 580kms with tendonitis, and I know why, not enough water and not enough stretching exercises before and after walking. Will finish it next year in May but still I think about the camino everyday still and look with envy at the pilgrims I see in Condom and Montreal. If you feel yourself flagging, just say to yourself "Just get on with it" , that has been my motto ever since....

Be very minimal with what you take - I had far too much, they do have shops in Spain for resupply! I even got my nailvarnish taken off in a smart store in Pamplona for free because I was, and looked like, a pilgrim!

If you would like to PM me with your contact details I would be happy to help with other suggestions? Poles, backpack, rain gear, etc.

Good luck with the training, don't exhaust yourself before you go! Ultreia!

... I am still only walking 15km on my day walks... still not sure of my boots... how on earth am I going to walk 800km!

... :confused::rolleyes:
We reckon that we can add about half as much again to our daily practise walk length once on the Camino - so at 15kms we would be able to increase to 20kms per day. That makes 40 days to walk your Camino with 9 rest days, or some shorter days, assuming that the 7 weeks is for walking and doesn't include travel. The longest day I walked was 24kms and it was followed by a rest day ie walking around gently sightseeing. So long as you don't walk too far or too fast, especially at first, you should be fine. Hopefully you have resolved the boots issue. We weighed some boots and found that ours (Hi-Tec) are 120gms each lighter than some other makes - that is 240gms total less weight we are carrying around on our feet.
Buen Camino

Regards,

Thankyou for this link, I've just returned from completing the Camino and have been looking for something to do next year and I think the walking festival will be on my list...

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Regards,

This looks good Doug. I need the discipline of a set program. This program does not add pack weight till the 20 km stage. Would you agree that it's better to build up fitness/distance first, before adding weight?

This looks good Doug. I need the discipline of a set program. This program does not add pack weight till the 20 km stage. Would you agree that it's better to build up fitness/distance first, before adding weight?
@Robo, I don't think about it much any more, but I suppose I get my distances up first. For anything over an hour, I will normally carry a small pack (18 li for urban walks, 30li for bush walks) with water, fleece, rainjacket etc. For bushwalks I add a thermos and snacks, a first aid kit and some warm extra clothing in winter. So maybe 4-5 kg for urban walks, 8-9kg for bush walks. This year, I didn't walk with my camino load until I got to Spain, but my last walks before I left were well over what I did in Spain.

€46,-
@Robo, I don't think about it much any more, but I suppose I get my distances up first. For anything over an hour, I will normally carry a small pack (18 li for urban walks, 30li for bush walks) with water, fleece, rainjacket etc. For bushwalks I add a thermos and snacks, a first aid kit and some warm extra clothing in winter. So maybe 4-5 kg for urban walks, 8-9kg for bush walks. This year, I didn't walk with my camino load until I got to Spain, but my last walks before I left were well over what I did in Spain.

On our training walks I carry a small pack as you suggest. 3-4KG (with both our water / weather gear in it) . I think it's good to always wear a pack of some kind so that it becomes natural.

On our training walks I carry a small pack as you suggest. 3-4KG (with both our water / weather gear in it) . I think it's good to always wear a pack of some kind so that it becomes natural.

The track jockeys will always have more in the saddle than a horse carries on race day.
Have the 5 then 10kg on your back every time Robo
It will be a breeze when you walk if you can achieve this for the next year

I assume you will be walking the Camino Frances. If you start at St Jean Pied de Porte, I suggest you stop at the albergue at Orisson for the first night, where it will be necessary to pre-book (lots of references in this forum for the email address, or google). It is only 8 kms from St Jean, but the steepest part of the route to Roncevalles. The next day will be 17 km (14km uphill). In my opinion this is the toughest part of the Camino as you are not used to walking long distances every day yet. So by the time you leave for Spain (or France), you should be able to walk 20 kms with all your camino gear in a day, or at least 15 kms. After Ronsevalles and if tired, walk one or two shorter days and listen to your body and after then you will be able to walk 25 kms easily. Above all, take it slowly at first, as everyone else advises, and later you can make up time if needed.
As to boots or shoes, the make is irrelevant, but the fit and comfort is vital. For example, Merrel make footwear for a wide foot, and Skarpa make footwear for narrow feet. Make sure they are broken in before starting your Camino.
Also stop thinking of 800 kms, and just take one day at a time, talk to other walkers and make friends, relax and enjoy your Camino.
Buen Camino David

You're going to be just fine. Really. You'll surprise yourself with what you can accomplish. When you're finished and at home, you won't believe you did it, but you'll have friends from all over the world who will remind you that you did.

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.