• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

How long to do CdN from Santander?

chocky

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino del Norte - 18/03/15
Camino Frances - 2016
Hi all. This is the first of what I guess will be many threads from me :D

Just wondering how long it will take from santander to santiago? I'm 29 and ex military so pace won't be a problem but I clearly don't want to rush such a journey. I'm expecting a couple of days R&R here and there but my estimations suggest 21 days. Am I far wrong?

Also I've heard there aren't as many albergues on the northern route. What should I expect my longest stint to be between beds?

Thanks in advance :)

Si.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hola Si, If you get the CSJ guide to the Norte it will give the distances, stopping places (including hotels as well as albergues) etc. That would help with your planning. If you are a member you can ask for their credential too. Anyone can buy the guides - scroll approx half way down the page. You will need Ruta de la Costa:- 1 & 2.

As a time guide Terry walked Santander to Santiago via the Norte and Primitivo. It took him 28 days, but some were very short. The distance is similar to staying on the Norte.
You can check his blog out here, then just keep clicking 'newer post.

Hi all. This is the first of what I guess will be many threads from me :D

Just wondering how long it will take from santander to santiago? I'm 29 and ex military so pace won't be a problem but I clearly don't want to rush such a journey. I'm expecting a couple of days R&R here and there but my estimations suggest 21 days. Am I far wrong?

Also I've heard there aren't as many albergues on the northern route. What should I expect my longest stint to be between beds?

Thanks in advance :)

Si.

If you follow what the books say it should take you about 22 days.
Now If you really want to enjoy the walk , it will take some more days.

Buen Camino!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I walked the Northern Route in May 2011. We found hostels all the way along, atleast within 25km, so you won't have to worry about that. If you check the Eroski Consumer site http://caminodesantiago.consumer.es/los-caminos-de-santiago/del-norte/ it has maps and hostels for the route, but they are all in Spanish. A few minutes with google translate and you should be able to figure it out. The belief that the hostels are few and far between is quite common amoung the english speaking pilgrims, but there are great guide books for the Camino del Norte in Spanish, German and Italian. As you walk, you will have people around you that will have those books, and be able to help you with the translations. I am putting together an app for the iPhone with the information, but it won't be out until next May so it might not help you. As for duration, I left Santander on May 9th and walked into Santiago on June 3rd. 26 days for me. But I did not walk a day over 22km. Some were less than 20km. So you should be able to make it in 22 days - no problem.

Hey all. Sorry for the late reply. Been out on the moors all weekend getting some practice in :)

Thanks for the info though. We'll probably extend it a few days tbh but we are on a slight time constraint so not by too much. On top of that we're probably going to chuck in the odd 40km stage in here and there (we miss the military too much :D ) with a sleep under the stars as well.

I've just received the cicerone guide for the northern route, seems pretty in depth but ill look into the CSJ guide for sure :)

Thanks again!!

If you like a good leg stretch(I do) then it'll take about 20 days. Accommodation is more of an issue than on the Frances but there are plenty hostels in the 20/30 bracket

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

I walked the Camino Francés in Octobee 2022, from Villafranca del Bierzo to Santiago de Compostela, and loved it. I would like to walk the Camino del Norte as I'm drawn to the coast, culture and...
Hello everyone. I know that pre-booking accommodation has been discussed many, many times, so apologies but I wanted to be quite specific. We are walking from Irún to Bilbao in the first week of...
Hello! I am visiting Northern Spain for the first time this June and would am planning on hiking a small segment of the Camino. I've done a little research and decided to hike between Zarautz and...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back