Where past pilgrims share, and future pilgrims learn

A donation to the forum removes advertising!
  1. New here?
    We have accumulated over 10 years of Camino Questions and Answers.
    Please Sign Up and plan your camino with us. Buen Camino! Ivar
  2. Are you a lurker?
    Interested in getting a daily email with the latest forum post? Get it here.

How to view and travel the Camino in Google Earth

Discussion in 'GPS and the Camino de Santiago' started by newfydog, Feb 4, 2012.

1. newfydog

newfydog Active Member Donating Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    Pamplona-Santiago, Le Puy- Santiago, Prague- LePuy, Menton- Toulouse, Menton- Rome, Canterbury- Lausanne, Chemin Stevenson 2014
    Google Earth is a wonderful program. I’m sure many of you know it well, but I know from some of the PM’s I’ve answered, some have not fully used this great toy.

Google Earth is free. You need to go to Google and download it. Once it is on your computer, there are various tutorials available, but basically, it allows you to view the whole earth, from the edge of the solar system to standing in some streets.

To see the Camino, you need to download a track. A track is a line on the image, and it can be downloaded from a file with a ,kml or ,kmz suffix. Download one of these files and put it where you can find it. From Google Earth, click file:eek:pen, and click on that file---whoosh, it will zoom to the track. Several tracks of different variations can be opened.

Once the track is open, you can turn on all sorts of layers, photos people have loaded, stores, hotels, restaurants, roads ,etc. You can tilt it to 3-d view.
    In the top right corner is the icon of a little man. Drag him onto the image, and “street view” roads become visible. Drag him to a place where the Camino crosses a road, and you’ll get a view from the street, often with pilgrims on the trail. This feature is great to see places you stayed, check out trail conditions for a bike, or just relive your trip. It is the most addictive time- waster you could ever dream of.

I’ll attach two files of different variations. They can be converted to .gpx files and loaded into a GPS with a site such as http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/convert_input
    You can also draw the route you would like to take on Google Earth and save it, and load that into your GPS.

Attached Files:

grayland and Susannafromsweden like this.

A Donation to the forum removes advertising.
  2. newfydog

Camino(s) past & future:
    Pamplona-Santiago, Le Puy- Santiago, Prague- LePuy, Menton- Toulouse, Menton- Rome, Canterbury- Lausanne, Chemin Stevenson 2014
    Here's some snips in various scales

Attached Files:

• esterel.JPG
      esterel.JPG
      File size:
      209.5 KB
      Views:
    • 20.JPG
      20.JPG
      File size:
      137.1 KB
      Views:
    • 15.JPG
      15.JPG
      File size:
      146.5 KB
      Views:
  3. merrellj

merrellj New Member

Thanx newfydog for a really informative post, and for the files, really terrific!!

I had already been looking for camino route files on the web and have subsequently found that there are a number of them downloadable in various formats on WIKILOC, trails of the world.

http://en.wikiloc.com/wikiloc/home.do

Haven't seen this site referred to on the forum and it may be a useful resource.

Regards, John
  4. Miradeara

Miradeara New Member

Hello,
    Thanks so much for this! Incredibly useful. Downloaded a couple files to google earth, but doesn't seem to function well offline. Any suggestions for best way to download for iPad? Know google just announced plans to allow offline access, but can't sort out and am starting camino del Norte in two weeks...
  5. newfydog

Camino(s) past & future:
    Google Earth only works online. It is far more useful sitting at a desk, wishing you were on the trail.

I frequently plan routes on google earth (you can download a track or click and trace one out). I then convert the .kmz file to .gpx, and load it into my gps, which works offline, all day, anywhere.
  6. Miradeara

Miradeara New Member

Thanks much. I knew offline access was hoping for too much. If I find a better solution will post
  7. Davroos

Davroos Member

For routes, I have a gpx file for Portugese, il Primitivo and VDLP. I use them mainly to track myself as it is fun looking back in Google Earth or numerous other programs
  8. newfydog

Camino(s) past & future:
  9. KiwiNomad06

KiwiNomad06 Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    Le Puy-Santiago(2008) Cluny-Conques+prt CF(2012)
    newfy, hope it all goes well for you. You have made a really useful thread for people here- as much to dream with and reminisce with as anything!
    Margaret
  10. jmcarp

jmcarp Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    Camino Frances, 2013
    Google Earth Animated Tour of the Camino Frances

As a user and fan of the program gmap-pedometer for planning my training hikes for my Camino later this year, I posted a question on the gmap-pedometer.com internal forum (and a similar question on this forum's Frequently Asked Questions board) asking if anyone had created gmap-pedometer routes for the Camino Frances. I received the following link in a response on the gmap-pedometer.com internal forum, which I thought I'd share here since it's mainly of interest to this particular Camino route. For those not familiar with Google Earth animated tours, it is a virtual flyover of a gps track that someone has saved and overlaid onto Google Earth satellite imagery -- in short, it's like flying along the entire length of the CF in a helicopter. Very interesting and most entertaining, but long -- it takes about 45 minutes on my reasonably fast computer.

http://www.gpsies.com/map.do?fileId=woj ... anguage=en

When you get to that web page -- which is a very good map in itself -- click on the link that says "Fly tour as Google Earth Animation" just beneath the map and next to the Google Earth icon to start the tour.

I wish I knew who created this so I could give him/her credit.

Jim
  11. clearskies

clearskies Member Donating Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    Camino Frances Leon - Santiago 2011, Camino Frances Leon - Santiago 2012, Camino Frances Logrono - Leon 2013, Camino Frances StJPdP - Belorado (or beyond) 2014, Camino Portuguese 2015 (maybe)
    Hi
    Any recommendations for an iPhone app that reads gpx once it's converted?
    Thanks!
  12. newfydog

Camino(s) past & future:
    I find motion x to be the best app.
  13. newfydog

Camino(s) past & future:
    The file Jim linked is a nice track. It has good detail, is in one segment, and goes to Finistierre. My Red Line in the original post is in a million pieces and dificult to put in a GPS. The Yellow and this gpsies file are easier.

I downloaded the track and will attach it here:

I converted it to a .gpx and sent it off to gpsimport@motionx.com
    They return an email, which you open with your phone and download. It took 5 minutes, and now the entire Camino Frances is in my phone.

I tried to attach the .gpx file here but the .gpx file is larger and I get a message that.gpx file are not accepted(?!).

Anyway, if you go here,
    http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/convert_input
    you can make your own .gpx

Attached Files:

14. clearskies

Camino(s) past & future:
    Camino Frances Leon - Santiago 2011, Camino Frances Leon - Santiago 2012, Camino Frances Logrono - Leon 2013, Camino Frances StJPdP - Belorado (or beyond) 2014, Camino Portuguese 2015 (maybe)
    Brilliant! It seems to import waypoints fine but not sure about tracks

Attached Files:

15. newfydog

Camino(s) past & future:
    Tracks are emailed to them as a .gpx....see above post

They email it back. It is as fast as hooking up a gps to your computer.
  16. clearskies

Camino(s) past & future:
  17. jude588

jude588 New Member

how do I put my segments of the northern route in google earth to get detailed trail info?
  18. newfydog

Camino(s) past & future:
    Sorry, I'm inCaterbury, ready to head south on the Francigena, so I don't have my files. You need to google up a .kmz google earth file or .gpx GPS file of your route.
  19. jude588

jude588 New Member

how do I download a track of the northern route?
  20. KiwiNomad06

KiwiNomad06 Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    Le Puy-Santiago(2008) Cluny-Conques+prt CF(2012)
    All the best! Bon courage, Bon Chemin for the start of it all!
    Margaret
  21. HalfDomeOrBust

HalfDomeOrBust Member Donating Member

I have not been able to make any of these methods work.................:(
  22. HalfDomeOrBust

HalfDomeOrBust Member Donating Member

Has anyone actually been able to get the Camino on your IPhone 4S using these sugesstions?
  23. newfydog

Camino(s) past & future:
    I have an iphone 5 and ipad and it goes on those no problem, as an offline map or online on google earth.

iphone frances.JPG iphone1.JPG iphone3.JPG