• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

I´ve started a new Camino unexpectedly

M

MendiWalker

Last Sunday one of the mountain clubs I belong to started the Camino del Norte. They started from Bilbao and covered the first stage ending in Portugalete but including mountain peaks. This year they plan to walk 3 stages. I don´t know how many stages they will cover next year.The plan is to complete it in several years.
Both my wife and I had other plans last Sunday and we weren´t able to join them much to our regret. But this morning as we left home to go for a hike in my mountains as we hit the street we looked at each other and without a word started the Camino del Norte as in days of old....... from our doorstep. We live 2 minutes from the Camino here in Bilbao and went walking passing thru Arroletza (454mts.) and on to Portugalete. On Oct. 20th we shall join our fellow pelegrinos and cover the second stage Portugalete - Muskiz passing over Serantes (451mts.,Punta Lucero 307mts. and Montaño319mts.)

We still have the Camino Ingles planned for summer 2014.

P.S. - amigo angulero a ver si nos encontramos por esas tierras tuyas dentro de nada jajajajaja por mi parte me encantaría . Con unas botellas de sidriña ........ yo pongo el queso Idiazabal.;)

Buen Camino!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I did that by mistake the other day too! We went on holiday last week to Lisbon, took the tram up the hill to the castle, and turned a corner to find ourselves at the church of St James and the official starting point of the Caminho Portugues. So of course we had to follow the yellow arrows for a few hundred metres. What else could we have done?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I would have carried on to SdC if I thought I could get away with it. Sadly the other half thought it would be silly.

Don´t know about being silly but we´re doing the next stage Portugalete - Muskiz on Oct 20. ;)

Buen Camino!

P.S. - amigo angulero a ver si nos encontramos por esas tierras tuyas dentro de nada jajajajaja por mi parte me encantaría . Con unas botellas de sidriña ........ yo pongo el queso Idiazabal.;)
Buen Camino!

Si ves una vespino cuando pases por Soto del Barco, es que estoy cerca... ;)

¡Buen camino!.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
My wife and I walked stage 2 of our Camino del Norte today. We went from Portugalete to Pobeña. It was a short walk. And as we still can go back home to sleep , we went smelling all the flowers and enjoyed the beach at the end of the walk.
The albergue as the one in Portugalete is only opened in summer (July & August).
The next stage will be from Pobeña to Castro Urdiales. We shall still do this one by ourselves. In the ones after we shall join with our mountain club and carry on with them.
Estamos mas cerca de Soto del Barco, preparate angulero jajajajajajajajaja.;)

Buen Camino!

I did that by mistake the other day too! We went on holiday last week to Lisbon, took the tram up the hill to the castle, and turned a corner to find ourselves at the church of St James and the official starting point of the Caminho Portugues. So of course we had to follow the yellow arrows for a few hundred metres. What else could we have done?
My wife and I did a portion of the Appalachian Trail like that a few years ago. We were staying overnight in a campground in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia and decided to go for a short hike after dinner. We ran across a nice trail that looped around the campground, so we followed that for a few hundred meters. We later found out that the it was part of the AT. No, we don't claim to be be AT veterans now, but we can say we've walked a (very small) portion of the Appalachian Trail <G>.

Jim

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Estamos mas cerca de Soto del Barco, preparate angulero jajajajajajajajaja.;)

Buen Camino!

Ya te digo, si ves la moto es que estoy por ahí. Si no, es que posiblemente haya tenido que salir a la mar con un amigo a echarle una mano. ;)

Por cierto, si te quedas en el albergue de San Esteban a dormir, al día siguiente vete por la senda de la que ya hablé en alguna ocasión. Incluso si duermes en El Pito, te recomiendo esa ruta para llegar hasta allí aunque vayas a rodear algo para llegar. Son apenas cinco kilómetros de ruta, pero después de dos etapas con bastante asfalto, se agradece.

Esas son las escaleras con las que comienzas la senda, aunque hay alternativa para no subirlas.

IMG_4798Medium_zpsd8f82e82.jpg

El edificio rojo del centro es el albergue de San Esteban.

IMG_4645Medium_zpsfe4fa300.jpg

Y estos son los acantilados por donde va la senda, aunque a veces, al ir por bosque no parezca que estén tan cerca.

http://meteoasturias.elcomercio.es/foro/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=7330

Saludos.

Today my wife & I have covered the third stage of our Camino del Norte , Pobeña - Islares. It have been a surprisingly sunny day after the downpour we had here yesterday. We started walking from Pobeña at 9:15 am and reached Islares at 2:15 pm. We stopped in Mioño for a Coke ( 20 mins. ).
To things to comment -
1. - Once you reach Onton you can either take the way inland or walk the National road 634. The inland way is about 7 kms. longer and in the end you walk road as well. If you decide to walk the main road nowadays there isn´t much traffic. There are about 4 kms. from Onton to Mioño. In the past this raod was extremely busy and very dangerous. Nowadays with the highway it´s practically dead. Between Onton and Mioño only 18 cars, 1 bus , 3 motorcycles and lots of bicycles came along it. I must say you also have a wide shoulder to walk on so no real danger at all.
2. - When you are about to reach Mioño on the left side of the road ( the side you should be walking on) you´ll see a yellow arrow and a bike indication to continue on the main road and a little bit further a yellow arrow on the other side for walker to follow ( sharp left ) . Best is to continue into town and almost leaving Mioño you´ll see the bike & yellow arrow to turn left and head up to the soccer/ football field. There turn right and follow the Via Verde way ( old Railroad now a walk for locals & visitors) . you´ll see a tunnel ( 300 mtrs aprox.) well light marked for bikes and walkers. This way will take you to Castro Urdiales in no time and you can follow the arrows into town.

Buen Camino!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all! I walked the Le Puy to Roncesvalles route last spring, and now I am thinking of Arles to Compostela on the Norte in the fall. I have many questions. I have downloaded the WP Norte App. I...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.