Search 69,459 Camino Questions

In Sobrado dos Monxes

petro

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (2008 April/May) (2011 May/June) (2014 May/June), Camino Primitivo (May 2016)
I know that I am not technically on the camino primitivo anymore but I view this as an extension of my camino primitivo. I met a German on the primitivo who planned to walk the northern variant of the primitivo - from Lugo to Sobrado dos Monxes. He agreed that I could accompany him. The beginning of the first stage from Lugo to Friol 30,5km (I suspect it is more) is stunningly beautiful. The walk is next to the river and the scenery is lovely. After leaving the river we lost the arrows but a local farmer got us on track again. The arrows (green arrows) are fairly easy to follow but you have to be vigilant all the time. We visited the site of St Eulalia which is amazing. Closer to Friol there was some very muddy patches and we reached Friol with muddy shoes an sopping wet socks at about 17h00. Stayed the night in Pension Beningna. There are absolutely no facilities on the way. We saw 2 other pilgrims on the way.

Today we left Friol at about 8 again walking through a lovely area next to a river. Soon after we ran into serious mud for long sections. We tried to walk through the field adjacent to the track which was a little bit better - at least we did not sink in so deep! The mud walking slowed us down and it was rather tiring. After about 3 hours we had a break and left the mud behind us. The arrows were fairly easy to follow and we made good time to the first bar of the day after plus minus 21km. 5km later we were on Sobrades. We visited the monasterio which is breathtakingly beautiful.

This was a hard walk but I enjoyed it thoroughly.

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
We will be joining the CF at Arzua later today. I know there is another option to join at Brea (i think) but I do not know the route.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
We arrived in Arzua at about 13h00. We are staying in Albergue Casa del Peregrino. Only 5 pilgrims staying here - where are the crowds....?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back